The "KILL STEEN KILL" Kevin Steen Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That WWE app really is pretty decent. I just looked up who is supposed to be at the house show I'm going to next week and the lineup is pretty weak. Thank God it's only going to cost me $15 to go lol.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Punk is a fucking clown. It wasn't long ago that he proclaimed he was a big fan of Jim Norton, who jokes about pretty much any situation you can think of. He also was laughing his "skinny fat ass" off on Cabana's podcast when they discussed a weird angle where Colt was acting like he was going to rape a girl in the ring.

Way to tow the company line in front of TMZ though. What a rebel.[/QUOTE]

Not sure who Jim Norton is, but a quick google search says he's an Opie and Anthony regular. Which is a pretty big window into what his humor must be like, if he appeals to the Opie and Anthony demgraphic.

shrug.

Punk's got as much integrity as any wrestler I've ever seen/met, and as much integrity as any straight edge kid I ever met. That about sums him up.

And FFS, if I had a nickel for every time he name dropped Lars Fredericksen (as if that gives him cred, since Lars is pretty much the poster boy for cookie cuttin' poseur), I'd be able to pay for my own private tour bus.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/16/cm-punk-kobe-bryant-rape-joke-abrham-washington-fired/
Finally found the link to the TMZ article KaneRobot was eluding to. 2 observations:

1) Haven't we established at this point that the alleged rape never happened and therefore AW's "joke" wasn't so much a joke about someone being raped but just about rape in general? Granted, it's splitting hairs and I'm not excusing rape jokes but on the other hand joking about something that never happened is slightly less offensive than joking about an event that actually happened. Just ask Seth MacFarlane, he's made a career out of it.

2) If he has mentioned being a fan of Norton in the past that makes him a monumental tool. Norton's jokes are about as low brow as they get and I would eat my hat if hasn't made some kind of rape joke in the past. In fact, I wanna say when I used to listen Opie and Anthony that I remember him having a certain character that he does that's based around being a creepy uncle child molester... HA, found it, I was right.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/16/cm-punk-kobe-bryant-rape-joke-abrham-washington-fired/
Finally found the link to the TMZ article KaneRobot was eluding to. 2 observations:

1) Haven't we established at this point that the alleged rape never happened and therefore AW's "joke" wasn't so much a joke about someone being raped but just about rape in general? Granted, it's splitting hairs and I'm not excusing rape jokes but on the other hand joking about something that never happened is slightly less offensive than joking about an event that actually happened. Just ask Seth MacFarlane, he's made a career out of it.

2) If he has mentioned being a fan of Norton in the past that makes him a monumental tool. Norton's jokes are about as low brow as they get and I would eat my hat if hasn't made some kind of rape joke in the past. In fact, I wanna say when I used to listen Opie and Anthony that I remember him having a certain character that he does that's based around being a creepy uncle child molester... HA, found it, I was right.[/QUOTE]

My two cents:

I'm a huge Louis CK fan and he has some jokes about rape, that doesn't mean I would ever say them in front of a live televised audience without fear of losing my job. It's like being a fan of profanity but getting upset when you you yell fuck out loud at work and get in trouble. There is a time and place for everything, including low-brow humor.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']My two cents:

I'm a huge Louis CK fan and he has some jokes about rape, that doesn't mean I would ever say them in front of a live televised audience without fear of losing my job. It's like being a fan of profanity but getting upset when you you yell fuck out loud at work and get in trouble. There is a time and place for everything, including low-brow humor.[/QUOTE]

I'm not making the point that rape jokes should never be told. I think they can be in bad taste; I'd never make them, but everyone's personal taste is their own. On the other hand, I am furthering the point that KaneRobot made which is that Punk has mentioned in the past that he is a Jim Norton fan, who I pointed out has made a niche for himself as having a child molester character. If Punk really didn't like rape jokes he likely wouldn't be a fan of someone like Norton. On the other hand, if Punk has turned into a bigger company shill than John Cena himself then he would support the company line of "rape's not funny he deserves to get canned."

Personally, I still find Punk's comments a year ago calling a fan a woman, that he has a vagina, and (most offensive) that he's a "homo" much more offensive than AW's rape comment/joke. As discussed though, Punk had 3 things going for him: he was hot at the time and thus very valuable to the company, it wasn't an election year in which Linda thinks she will be scrutinized for anything happening in WWE, and it wasn't on live TV.

I'm kind of surprised people are just now realizing punk is a shill. When he came back after winning the title last year it showed me that he was a joke. Only a brainwashed fool would have thought that coming back so soon was a smart idea.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Personally, I still find Punk's comments a year ago calling a fan a woman, that he has a vagina, and (most offensive) that he's a "homo" much more offensive than AW's rape comment/joke. [/QUOTE]

Because being a homo is worse than being raped? I guess that makes sense in some backwards planet. Its hard to bash on Punk for giving the company line. Why make waves with WWE for no reason when you are in a good place with them.

I dont like Jim Norton personally, but being a fan of a comedian doesnt make anyone a tool, even if the comedian was Dane Cook.

What's TMZ's newfound fascination with professional wrestling? :lol:

[quote name='musha666']Because being a homo is worse than being raped?[/QUOTE]
:lol:

AW raped a guy? Nice logic, stinky.

Calling a ringside fan who is paying your yearly salary a "homo" is way worse than AW's fuggin' Kobe Bryant rape joke.

It's rainin' apples and oranges!

[quote name='musha666']Because being a homo is worse than being raped? I guess that makes sense in some backwards planet. Its hard to bash on Punk for giving the company line. Why make waves with WWE for no reason when you are in a good place with them.

I dont like Jim Norton personally, but being a fan of a comedian doesnt make anyone a tool, even if the comedian was Dane Cook.[/QUOTE]

No, because the way he used "homo" was as an insult to suggest the heckler was less of a person because of it. So yes, joking about a rape that never happened is less offensive than calling someone a "homo."

WWE '13 roster has been revealed:

Modern Era WWE Superstars & Divas

Alberto Del Rio

Big Show

Booker T

Brock Lesnar

Brodus Clay

Chris Jericho

Christian

Cody Rhodes

Daniel Bryan

David Otunga

Dolph Ziggler

Edge

The Great Khali

Heath Slater

Hunico

Jack Swagger

JBL

John Cena (The Doctor of Thuganomics)

John Laurinaitis

Justin Gabriel

Kane

Kevin Nash

Kofi Kingston

Mark Henry

The Miz

Primo

Randy Orton

John Cena

Rey Mysterio

The Rock

R-Truth

Santino Marella

Sheamus

Sin Cara

Epico

Ted DiBiase

Triple H

The Undertaker

Jinder Mahal

Wade Barrett

Zack Ryder

Alicia Fox

Beth Phoenix

Brie Bella

Eve

Kelly Kelly

Kharma

Nikki Bella

Lita

AJ Lee (RAW General Manager)

CM Punk

Attitude Era WWE Superstars

Road Warrior Animal

Big Boss Man

Billy Gunn

Bradshaw (APA)

Bret Hart

British Bulldog

Cactus Jack

Chris Jericho (Y2J)

Christian (Edge & Christian)

Dude Love

Eddie Guerrero

Edge (Edge & Christian)

Faarooq (APA)

The Godfather

Road Warrior Hawk

Hunter Heart Helmsley

Kane

Ken Shamrock

Mankind

Mark Henry (Nation of Domination)

Mike Tyson

Mr. McMahon

"The Big Show" Paul Wight

Road Dogg Jesse James

The Rock

Shane McMahon

Shawn Michaels (D-Generation X)

Triple H (D-Generation X)

The Undertaker (The Lord of Darkness)

Vader

X-Pac

Lita (Attitude Era)

Stephanie McMahon (The Billion Dollar Princess)

Trish Stratus

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Okay, so, the roster doesn't completely suck.. but holy crap, these character models do. Look at Christian, Cactus Jack, Dude Love, Kevin Nash, Eddie Guerrero, Ken Shamrock, Mr. McMahon and Zack Ryder. They look like CAW's. Amateur hour.

Oh, and yeah, there's three versions of HHH in the game. There's doubles of a lot of people: Lita (Why?), Jericho, Edge, Christian, Big Show, Undertaker, Kane, The Rock, Bradshaw (JBL/APA), Cena, Mark Henry, Foley (three if you count Cactus/Dude/Mankind).. why couldn't they have been alternate costumes/attires instead of a whole other character slot?

[quote name='musha666']I dont like Jim Norton personally, but being a fan of a comedian doesnt make anyone a tool, even if the comedian was Dane Cook.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it makes you an even bigger tool if you like Dane Cook.

[quote name='Scorch']

Oh, and yeah, there's three versions of HHH in the game.[/QUOTE]

That's too much ego for one game.

Did you read that Grantland article that broke down the SS lineup and pointed out that most of the faces in tomorrow's matches are either portrayed as total dicks (Sheamus stealing a car and trashing it, Cena refusing to shake Punk's hand, Triple H being the corporate face of the company who's kind of a shithead for no real reason other than he can be, etc.) or have recently turned face with no attempt whatsoever by the WWE writers to explain or show their face turn (Jericho, Kane, and I can't recall who else.)

Lesnar's get squashed so hard tomorrow it'll be unreal.

I haven't read that...

Yeah. Lesnar's definitely gonna get squashed.

I think this is Vince, Vince Jr. (Stephanie) and Vince II (HHH) shitting all over the UFC.

I mean... I was stunned when I heard Cole namedropping UFC when Lesnar re-debuted. Now, keep in mind that Vince looooooves Cole, which is why he uses him as his own personal mouthpiece. Some Most of the shit Cole says... you can just tell Vince is shouting it into his earpiece.

UFC & Lesnar = Money, of course... but what would make Vince finally acknowledge UFC straight from his own mouth? He's brainwashing the little babies and numbskulls watching at home. He's making UFC's most dominant fighter look like a bitch - making UFC look weak by comparison.

Long-time wrestling fans tuning in to see Lesnar back / Vince teaching the Cenanation at home that UFC's top guy is a dick who can't back it up. Win / Win.

I :roll:'d when I saw Stephanie triumphantly beating on Heyman for mentioning her children. Who would cheer for that? Hint: Full-blown Marks. What an egomaniacal angle.

[quote name='Scorch']WWE '13 roster has been revealed:

Modern Era WWE Superstars & Divas

Alberto Del Rio

Big Show

Booker T

Brock Lesnar

Brodus Clay

Chris Jericho

Christian

Cody Rhodes

Daniel Bryan

David Otunga

Dolph Ziggler

Edge

The Great Khali

Heath Slater

Hunico

Jack Swagger

JBL

John Cena (The Doctor of Thuganomics)

John Laurinaitis

Justin Gabriel

Kane

Kevin Nash

Kofi Kingston

Mark Henry

The Miz

Primo

Randy Orton

John Cena

Rey Mysterio

The Rock

R-Truth

Santino Marella

Sheamus

Sin Cara

Epico

Ted DiBiase

Triple H

The Undertaker

Jinder Mahal

Wade Barrett

Zack Ryder

Alicia Fox

Beth Phoenix

Brie Bella

Eve

Kelly Kelly

Kharma

Nikki Bella

Lita

AJ Lee (RAW General Manager)

CM Punk

Attitude Era WWE Superstars

Road Warrior Animal

Big Boss Man

Billy Gunn

Bradshaw (APA)

Bret Hart

British Bulldog

Cactus Jack

Chris Jericho (Y2J)

Christian (Edge & Christian)

Dude Love

Eddie Guerrero

Edge (Edge & Christian)

Faarooq (APA)

The Godfather

Road Warrior Hawk

Hunter Heart Helmsley

Kane

Ken Shamrock

Mankind

Mark Henry (Nation of Domination)

Mike Tyson

Mr. McMahon

"The Big Show" Paul Wight

Road Dogg Jesse James

The Rock

Shane McMahon

Shawn Michaels (D-Generation X)

Triple H (D-Generation X)

The Undertaker (The Lord of Darkness)

Vader

X-Pac

Lita (Attitude Era)

Stephanie McMahon (The Billion Dollar Princess)

Trish Stratus

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Okay, so, the roster doesn't completely suck.. but holy crap, these character models do. Look at Christian, Cactus Jack, Dude Love, Kevin Nash, Eddie Guerrero, Ken Shamrock, Mr. McMahon and Zack Ryder. They look like CAW's. Amateur hour.

Oh, and yeah, there's three versions of HHH in the game. There's doubles of a lot of people: Lita (Why?), Jericho, Edge, Christian, Big Show, Undertaker, Kane, The Rock, Bradshaw (JBL/APA), Cena, Mark Henry, Foley (three if you count Cactus/Dude/Mankind).. why couldn't they have been alternate costumes/attires instead of a whole other character slot?[/QUOTE]

I bet they try to sell Nattie and Tyson Kidd as DLC - and just recycle their character models from last year.

Also looks like they applied the mass of modern Triple H to the DX and Hunter Hearst Helmsley models :D Makes sense for them to have separate characters instead of alternate costumes because of the different entrances. Of course they half-assed it and gave Taker his normal theme anyway.

DAMN! Zack Ryder looks like an amateur CAW in that reveal video.

I have bought damn near every WWE game for the 360 at day 1 or damn close to it. This year, yeah...NO. Maybe I will gamefly it... or get it around 20 bucks cause it looks like shit.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I'm kind of surprised people are just now realizing punk is a shill. When he came back after winning the title last year it showed me that he was a joke. Only a brainwashed fool would have thought that coming back so soon was a smart idea.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go that far. Him coming back could have been a creative team decision. It sounds like he had a lot of control over that storyline but I doubt it was absolute control. WWE more than anything dropped the ball with that.

BUT - Since Punk came back to TV last year after MITB, everything he's done has been cookie-cutter-anti-heel bullshit bordering on pure baby-face pandering. The only time he got interesting again was when he verbally destroyed Big Sexy Kevin Nash because the old man was rusty as shit. Other than that his mic work has been utterly forgettable since "Pipebomb" became a token catchphrase buzzword and those "Pipebombs" stopped being pipebombs.

His feud with Jericho was absolutely lackluster and the whole making-it-personal-about-Punk's-family angle was strange when the most straightforward and simple thing they could have done was just straight up try to have the greatest matches in the company to prove who the best in the world was. K-I-S-S. Despite that, him and Jericho had some good matches (but often not even the best on the card). He also had multiple good matches with Daniel Bryan (and Kane). The only reason the whole 3-men-1-girl angle worked was because of AJ and Kane was a surprisingly good wild card character for the angle.

I would take S.E.S. Punk or New Nexus Punk in a heart beat over this past year of Horseshit-Douchebag Punk. I know it won't happen but I'd be so fucking happy if he just gave up his t-shirt sale royalties and stopped with the Tweener bullshit just to be a heel again, entering to This Fire Burns instead of the ill-fitted-for-entrance-music Cult of Personality.

Yeah, I wouldn't put the blame for rushing him back on him entirely. But he agreed to it (assuming he wasn't legit off contract in the first place).

Him saying "pipebomb" these days reminds me of when dudes would finish a statement on tv by saying "...and that's a SHOOT!" Because that is, to me, the tell tale sign that it's complete horseshit and part of the program. It's a way to get me to roll my eyes. You don't have to say pipebomb to communicate to the crowd that you just got away with some magnificent mic work, because if your mic work is magnificent, they'll react to it accordingly. Saying "pipebomb" is like those studio audience "APPLAUSE" signs - they're there to tell you how to react, not a sign of the quality of the thing that's supposed to elicit that reaction.

Gonna disagree on the fit of Living Colour, but that's neither here nor there.

Who was the last great amazing white hot heel? Not the guy whose presence on the wrestling card makes you sick (Triple H, Big Show), but the guy who you wanted to see get fucking PUMMELED. Who was that? JBL, I think, did a solid job there. Bully Ray has been great at his role, although his "TWITTAH MACHINE" makes me smirk enough that I'm kinda diggin' his character now.

But historically, who was the last person you legit wanted to see get fuckin' destroyed?

Had WCW not botched the payoff, seeing Sting beat Hogan at Starrcade would have been very satisfying at the time.

Unrelated, but I realized today that the next time Cena wins the title, he'll tie Triple H for most combined WWE/World Heavyweight title reigns ever (13)

The WWE games always have a few characters with really shitty models and this year is no different. However, I do think that for the models that are done well, they are done really well. Guys like Brodus Clay, Cody Rhodes, David Otunga, Hunico, Y2J (attitude era), and a few others all look spot on.

Few complaints about models/roster:

So many doubles
Billy Gunn has NO logos on his trunks whatsoever
Jack Swagger doesn't have the comb-over (or does he? hard to tell in the video)
Zack Ryder's orange hair
Big Show's girth
Lack of Kidd/McIntyre/Bourne (if Kharma can make it in, these guys deserve a spot too)

[quote name='Tsel']
Lack of Kidd/McIntyre/Bourne (if Kharma can make it in, these guys deserve a spot too)[/QUOTE]

I assume someone has to be DLC. No different than the past few years of games. I'm sure the roster will expand even more with DLC.

[quote name='mykevermin']But historically, who was the last person you legit wanted to see get fuckin' destroyed?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about "see him get destroyed" but Mark Henry's last heel run was fucking great. The Miz was a pretty good (but by no means great) heel in that run up to WM two years ago. Unfortunately he was overshadowed by the Rock/Cena pissing match.

[quote name='Tsel']
The WWE games always have a few characters with really shitty models and this year is no different. However, I do think that for the models that are done well, they are done really well. Guys like Brodus Clay, Cody Rhodes, David Otunga, Hunico, Y2J (attitude era), and a few others all look spot on.

Few complaints about models/roster:

So many doubles
Billy Gunn has NO logos on his trunks whatsoever
Jack Swagger doesn't have the comb-over (or does he? hard to tell in the video)
Zack Ryder's orange hair
Big Show's girth
Lack of Kidd/McIntyre/Bourne (if Kharma can make it in, these guys deserve a spot too)
[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with everything you said. That out of the way, I'll still probably pick this up. I liked WWE 12 well enough last year and played a lot of it, so I don't see why I wouldn't do it again. It'll be apart of my yearly titles like NBA 2K and others.

Off the WWE 13 topic, what does everyone think of Damien Sandow? I'm beginning to like him, on the microphone at least.

Weird about Billy Gunn - if they didn't want to put Bad Ass on the back of his tights they could have just given him the ones with lips with no text. Road Dogg's look is from several years later to make it even more odd.

[quote name='mykevermin']But historically, who was the last person you legit wanted to see get fuckin' destroyed?[/QUOTE]

John Cena, which tells you how ass backwards WWE is.

[quote name='bhk']Had WCW not botched the payoff, seeing Sting beat Hogan at Starrcade would have been very satisfying at the time.

Unrelated, but I realized today that the next time Cena wins the title, he'll tie Triple H for most combined WWE/World Heavyweight title reigns ever (13)[/QUOTE]

I agree. Paid a revisit to that match in recent years. Far less satisfying than at the time. I blame Bret Hart's involvement. Definitely hurt the atmosphere. Less satisfying than ya girl kicking you in the nuts right before— You know.

And the last person I have had a desire to see absolutely job out is John Cena. He is the physical embodiment of "same old shit." He's worse than Hogan. At least Hogan took risks and gave change to his persona. Watching a John Cena match is like experiencing hell: Hoping for something different even though you know it'll be exactly the same as before.

I can't stand Punk either. He's like one of those guys who's always got a better story than you or if you got this, he's gotta tell you how he's got that and it's 10 times better. I'm just waiting for the day he gets busted for something and it blows up in his face.

Also WWE 12 is now $29.99 new at all stores. Is the game worth it for $30? Online still busted??

I can't stand Punk either. He's like one of those guys who's always got a better story than you or if you got this, he's gotta tell you how he's got that and it's 10 times better. I'm just waiting for the day he gets busted for something and it blows up in his face.

Also WWE 12 is now $29.99 new at all stores. Is the game worth it for $30? Online still busted??

I'd put the $30 aside and pretend like you're buying WWE '13 for $30 instead.

It's too close to the release of the new game, don't do it. NHL '12 is $30 right now, but it'll drop like a stone once NHL '13 is out. Same thing here.

I've been tossing around the idea of plunking down on a N64 USB controller so I can play some Aki N64 wrestling titles on my PC.

Just so it feels natural, y'know?

Apparently the new Saturday morning WWE show will be rated TV-G and feature no head or neck moves. The first match is Kofi vs Slater with Santino on commentary.

[quote name='Brak']I've been tossing around the idea of plunking down on a N64 USB controller so I can play some Aki N64 wrestling titles on my PC.

Just so it feels natural, y'know?[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. I wonder if the Japanese versions of the games have been patched into english.

It's mind blowing to think that WWE now goes out of it's way to try and be family friendly. The last time I really was into wrestling was just after the attitude era, so when I think back to that, with guys like Austin flipping people off and drinking on the show, to now, a G rated show, it's almost too much to process.

What the hell are the storylines gonna be? You stole my juicebox and the new anonymous GM is sending you to the corner for timeout?

"I had to piledrive you straight to hell so you could learn the value of sharing with others, Ted DiBiase!"

It's gonna be like Berenstain Bears but with Tyler Reks.

You guys act surprised. I mean shit, this is the company that is making a damn Scooby-Doo animated movie with it's "superstars" for release in the next year or so. Yeah, they really give a damn what anyone over the age of 6 thinks.

Also, on the whole Scooby-Doo thing, WWE already shit the bed with this project. I mean hell, they could have, and by could have I mean really should have saved the unmasking of Hornswaggle as the anon gm for this movie. Would have been perfect for the kiddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back