The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword

[quote name='KingBroly']There has only been ONE "Hero of Time" in the Zelda series. That is the Link from Ocarina of Time. That is the Link other games refer to as "The Legendary Hero". So unless they want to screw with EVERYTHING, he won't be called Hero of Time.[/QUOTE]

It can't be the case in TP for several reasons:
1) TP takes place in the OoT ending where Link is sent back in time, he never became the Hero of Time.
2) Ganondorf is sealed in the Sacred Realm after you beat him in OoT. But in TP, he's sent to the Twilight Realm.
3) In TP, Ganondorf doesn't recognize Link. But he does in WW. So if Link had defeated Ganondorf and became the Hero of Time before TP, Ganondorf would have recognized him.

"the ancient hero" referred to in TP can't be the Hero of Time because the Hero of Time never existed before it.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']But it is. There's little connecting many of the games aside from general Zelda lore; even with the games that have a implied direct connection. We know going from Ocarina of Time to Majora's mask is the same Link, but there's no real added benefit from that and that's the point I'm trying to convey. A timeline of where each Legend of Zelda game falls provides little to no benefit because the series has never been about the story.[/QUOTE]

It's not ill-conceived because I've looked at forums where people discuss it. They base their timeline ideas off of a lot of things, they don't just randomly assemble them. But as I said, I don't know enough to convince you otherwise. I just find it annoying when people say "NO! There CANNOT be a timeline!" If you don't want to believe, that's fine. But I see no reason to be defiant to those who want to.

This will be my last post on the matter. I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

At first I thought "new console Zelda." After Twilight Princess? Yuck. And it needs WM+? Double yuck! But then I saw the video. Ok, I'm more interested. Then I saw Miyamoto himself not being able to accurately do anything on the first try. Interference or not, LMFAO.

Overall, I'm getting an Ocarina of Time with a dash of Wind Waker sort of feel to it. If that's how it ends up, and it's good, I'll go for it. Otherwise, there's a good chance I'll pass.

[quote name='Chronis']At first I thought "new console Zelda." After Twilight Princess? Yuck. And it needs WM+? Double yuck! But then I saw the video. Ok, I'm more interested. Then I saw Miyamoto himself not being able to accurately do anything on the first try. Interference or not, LMFAO.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']Looks cool, but I think I'm done with Zelda until we get traditional controls back.[/QUOTE]

gamesforgamerssuchasmyself.jpeg

maturegamersuchasmyself.gif

New Zelda is going to suck and be crappy and is just like OOT. Previous Zelda is now the greatest games ever. Rinse. Repeat.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

[quote name='Strell']gamesforgamerssuchasmyself.jpeg[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Yeah, because wanting precise controls that have been refined and perfected over 20 years in Zelda makes me h@rdc0r3!! Sit down son before you hurt yourself.

I'm slightly concerned over the nunchuk accuracy. I know for sure that's not 1:1, and even Motion+ has some problems that show it's not exactly 1:1.

I just find it funny that everyone is raising a shitstorm about the controls when there's near universal praise for them from all the actual playtesting going on by attendees to the show. And really, just like others have pointed out - all of a sudden, everyone loves the previous Zelda, from its art style to its gameplay, after spending years trashing it as "not like the Zeldas before it."

But this is the internet, home of short logic and dismissing Frenchman's waves.

[quote name='Strell']I just find it funny that everyone is raising a shitstorm about the controls when there's near universal praise for them from all the actual playtesting going on by attendees to the show. And really, just like others have pointed out - all of a sudden, everyone loves the previous Zelda, from its art style to its gameplay, after spending years trashing it as "not like the Zeldas before it."

But this is the internet, home of short logic and dismissing Frenchman's waves.[/QUOTE]
I always loved Wind Waker. I never played TP so I'm not going to talk about that one.

Nunchuk is NOT accurate. It's a $20 sub controller that costs less than that to make. M+ is almost perfect. Depending on how both are implemented in the game, they could be good or tedious. Nintendo usually does good with things that everyone wants to fail (NDS, Wii, Wii Fit, etc.), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I really don't get what caused the interference at E3. Maybe to increase accuracy, they used the sensor bar, and then the IR cam on Wiimote got confused and failed.

Excited for Monkey Island 2: Super Ultra Deluxe Edition? I'm hoping my PC can run it, and I'm hoping I can play it with pointy clicky. If not, I'll use the 360 I guess. http://pc.ign.com/articles/110/1101197p1.html

[quote name='Strell']I will LEARN to be ambidextrous, son![/QUOTE]

well said strell, I am looking forward to this game, but next year? damn you nintendo, see you for the holidays link!

edit: Wind Waker was awesome, it felt like a real zelda, taking place in a far off land that we will never see, fantasy you know? Twilight was good, but Ocarina of Time wasn't good, but hopefully 3ds will fix that finally for me!

[quote name='Strell']I just find it funny that everyone is raising a shitstorm about the controls when there's near universal praise for them from all the actual playtesting going on by attendees to the show. And really, just like others have pointed out - all of a sudden, everyone loves the previous Zelda, from its art style to its gameplay, after spending years trashing it as "not like the Zeldas before it."

But this is the internet, home of short logic and dismissing Frenchman's waves.[/QUOTE]

Which Zelda are you referring to? And who is raising a shitstorm? Exaggerate much?

I don't have a problem with motion in moderation and done correctly, but Nintendo and the Wii as a whole has failed to prove in 4 years that motion is necessary outside of the Wii Sports series. Galaxy, NSMB, Metroid, Pikmin and Twilight Princess, all with pointless controls. The controls are acceptable, but not better by any stretch of the imagination.

I love Zelda and Skyward looks good, but like I said I think after 4 years, personally, I'm done with motion in 'core' games with forced motion controls. That's not a slight on anyone else just where I'm at as a gamer now. I gave them ample opportunity to win me over but they failed.

And I'm still wondering how you jump from "not a fan of motion" to "dood, ur ultra leet 360 h@arcor3 gamer!" images.

I liked Twilight Princess' controls. The main difference is what, swinging the sword? If it's 1:1 then it could be pretty interesting this time rather than simply swinging to do a predetermined motion.

[quote name='Corvin'] I'm done with motion in 'core' games with forced motion controls. [/QUOTE]

Nice avatar.

Edit: Siiiiigh. After thinking about this for a long while, fine. Fair enough. I just really have a distaste for this attitude that everyone has about motion controls, where they are only relegated to shovelware crap or minigame fests, and DON'T YOU DARE RUIN MY CORE TITLES mentality. Frankly, I think that kind of attitude is bullshit for a variety of reasons, but I don't have the energy to list or explain them. The primary concern is that everyone is so willing to write something off despite A) not trying it and B) dozens of positive reviews from others.

Dismiss the game, or hate it, or just see it as there, or whatever. Fair enough. Not going to continue on some wayward discussion that's inevitably going to reach no changed bases.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']The primary concern is that everyone is so willing to write something off despite A) not trying it and B) dozens of positive reviews from others.
[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the similar to giving something a pass because of someone else's opinion?

"DON'T YOU DARE RUIN MY CORE TITLES mentality. "

That's my point though. They've tried it in many core titles (I was open to) already and failed, IMO. No need to hit the well again thinking WM+ is the answer. It's not about a "mentality," there is a track record we can point to that shows it doesn't work (to the extent of offering a better experience than standard controller). That argument/sentence would fly 4 years ago, but not today.

In the end, it might be worth checking out when it gets cheap, I'm just not jumping at the chance to play it like past Zelda games, which was ultimately my point. Zelda is no longer a release day purchase. Of course being a big Zelda fan, I could cave closer to release. :lol:

----

As for Epic Mickey, it has many factors going for it, IMO. 1.) It looks like a fun platformer with an original idea(something Zelda hasn't had in years). 2.) there is no precedent with the franchise showing motion doesn't work. 3.) I have two girls that will love to play a Mickey game, and it's a game we can play together 4.) nostalgia for quality Disney/Capcom games that ceased to exist the past 20 years. 5.) Warren Spector. 6.) It gets a pass because I'm a huge Mickey fan, hence the avatar. ;)

[quote name='Corvin']Isn't that the similar to giving something a pass because of someone else's opinion?

"DON'T YOU DARE RUIN MY CORE TITLES mentality. "

That's my point though. They've tried it in many core titles (I was open to) already and failed, IMO. No need to hit the well again thinking WM+ is the answer. It's not about a "mentality," there is a track record we can point to that shows it doesn't work (to the extent of offering a better experience than standard controller). That argument/sentence would fly 4 years ago, but not today.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome to your own opinion on motion controls, but don't base your argument upon it as if it's a fact. We get it; you don't like motion controls, but there are just as many positive experiences with motion controls to counter your negative experiences.

Are motion controls "better"? Sometimes, sometimes not. And even then, one method of control being "better" than the other can be purely subjective. Mario Kart is a perfect example of where motion controls aren't necessarily better, but provide a more interactive experience for new players. I consider the Nunchuk/Wiimote combo "better" since it offers more fine-tuned control than a Wiimote on its side. My dad would consider the solo Wiimote "better" since the concept is much simpler to grasp.

I really wonder why people spend so much time shitting on games/platforms they don't enjoy. Don't you really have anything better to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the point of motion controls, this is Zelda we're talking about. Nintendo isn't going to put controls into a Zelda game that isn't heavily tested and fit well in the game.
Having said that, it's a Wii game. It isn't going to be like any other Zelda games because this is the first Zelda game designed FOR the Wii. Personally I would like to have the option to use a GC controller (although I would play thru it with WM+ first).

All in all, I'm worried about other things more than WM+ controls. But I have faith in Nintendo on this one...Don't let me down Nintendo!!

My friend beat all of MKW with the Wii wheel. Yes, he unlocked Dry Bowser and Mii Costume B. I was in awe.

Wii Sports Resort was a good demo of what to expect from M+ and LoZ:SS. I see no point arguing over something none of you have played. Expect it to be good, bitch about it if it isn't.

I asked the same thing in the GDC thread. The official line is that it's coming sometime in 2011 after OOT 3DS is released. So who knows. I figure no matter what, I'll be picking it up around the holiday.

My guess is September because of the 25th Anniversary thing. It might just be a Gold-colored Wii console. But I do expect a Gold-colored Wii Remote Plus Bundle for the game.

Motion controls can work very well when done right and in the right games. I greatly prefer playing the fun little WiiWare game ExciteBike: World Rally with motion control for tilting, and in fact do much, much better at the game with motion controls. I tended to lean left and right anyway when trying to tilt my little bike guy, so having that translate into actual tilting in the game was intuitive and natural and worked great. Some people preferred using button controls for tilting, but I think that's because they had gotten use to it working that way in the original, which I never played. In the times I played online, it was almost universally the case that the top finishers were using motion controls, so I don't think it was just me, though obviously that's not exactly a scientific survey.

I'm looking forward to this game. Zelda with actual swordplay? That sounds pretty awesome to me.

I can't believe Link is no longer left-handed. I guess I can cross him off of my left-handed people I look up to list. I'm down to Sylvester Stallone, Gerald Ford and Fred Astaire. :cry:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe Link is no longer left-handed. I guess I can cross him off of my left-handed people I look up to list. I'm down to Sylvester Stallone, Gerald Ford and Fred Astaire. :cry:
[/QUOTE]

Probably due to the motion control stuff, since most people are right handed.

I wonder if they will have the option to switch hands for left handers, and if it will be represented visually?

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe Link is no longer left-handed. I guess I can cross him off of my left-handed people I look up to list. I'm down to Sylvester Stallone, Gerald Ford and Fred Astaire. :cry:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

You looked up to a fictional character :whistle2:s

[quote name='crunchewy']Motion controls can work very well when done right and in the right games. I greatly prefer playing the fun little WiiWare game ExciteBike: World Rally with motion control for tilting, and in fact do much, much better at the game with motion controls. I tended to lean left and right anyway when trying to tilt my little bike guy, so having that translate into actual tilting in the game was intuitive and natural and worked great. Some people preferred using button controls for tilting, but I think that's because they had gotten use to it working that way in the original, which I never played. In the times I played online, it was almost universally the case that the top finishers were using motion controls, so I don't think it was just me, though obviously that's not exactly a scientific survey.

I'm looking forward to this game. Zelda with actual swordplay? That sounds pretty awesome to me.[/QUOTE]

You sound like me every time I rave about Mario Kart Wii. I was terrible at regular mario kart. You are awesome.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Probably due to the motion control stuff, since most people are right handed.

I wonder if they will have the option to switch hands for left handers, and if it will be represented visually?[/QUOTE]

I believe the answer was no because Aunoma said he'd have to make the game twice. That makes no sense to me, but I assume he knows what he's talking about.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']You sound like me every time I rave about Mario Kart Wii.[/QUOTE]
People do this?

[quote name='KingBroly']I believe the answer was no because Aunoma said he'd have to make the game twice. That makes no sense to me, but I assume he knows what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]
No shit, Aonuma, you make the game twice -- but then you sell it twice. Exclusive content for lefties only. Give Epona some horse armor. Give Link a cute hat. You're leaving cash on the table, NOJ.

Somebody get me a tie and monkeysuit, I'm exec material. Reggie could take my correspondence course.

[quote name='ananag112']Chuckie Finster from Rugrats is also left handed and so are/were Obama, Reagan, HW Bush, and Clinton.[/QUOTE]

bart simpson too

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Hold on I'll go masturbate to call of duty to make you happy
loser[/QUOTE]
Pics.
Sugartits.

[quote name='david12795']haha someone calls it "laziness"[/QUOTE]

It's called doin that shit retrograde. We need MarioColbert up in this with the musicology and whatnot. That's the right dude, right? I haven't seen him around for ages.

I am betting when the new Wii hits. N will be like oh you get it for Wii or you can get it for Wii 2 with great graphics and feel like you are really Link.

bread's done
Back