The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']i have no hope for this game because it feels a bit too late to have a game like this. even than, this game "feels" so mediocre.[/QUOTE]

It will fall into that same nether region that Twilight Princess fell into. It will be a killer late generation title, but less than stellar next gen launch title.

[quote name='Corvin']It will fall into that same nether region that Twilight Princess fell into. It will be a killer late generation title, but less than stellar next gen launch title.[/QUOTE]

TP was outstanding for a launch title. Of course it should have been as the GCN swansong.

Wii Sports was an outstanding launch title. TP wasn't.

TP failed to integrate the Wii's core feature -- the motion control. Something that was truly outstanding wouldn't have pissed away that opportunity. It deserves all the waggle jokes it gets.

TP was a good game but a well below average Zelda game. The 3D games are getting VERY stale at this point (Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks). They need to do something drastic. I'm still mad they didn't add two more dungeons to Wind Waker - it could have easily been the best game in the series.

I for one would rather Zelda had no motion controls other than for aiming the bow. Wii motion controls are unreliable at best. I dunno how many times I've been playing a game and suddenly my pointer decides to 'jump' off screen. TP's controls were OK, but compared to WW they suck.

I can't wait for this new Zelda game. It's sort of surprising that they are going back to this cel-shaded type look after going back to a more realistic look. But you can't complain because Zelda games are all about the immersive gameplay. I'm sure the game will look great when it
releases.

I love the Wii. I am waiting for a Zhu Zhu Puppies game on the Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin']Don't see anything special about 13:59.[/QUOTE]

Maybe its just me then, I love the wall running.

I haven't actually played TP, but I have played the very end of the game, or rather, one specific part of it, and it makes me not want to play the game at all. And it has absolutely nothing to do with "waggle". In fact, it's a relic of a past time that would have been *better* had it been waggle. It's the press the button as fast as you can mechanic. My son couldn't do it so he asked me to do it. Now I don't want to play that game ever, as I know I'll get to the end of the game have to do that. I'd much rather the game had made me shake the remote fast. Well, OK, I'd rather it didn't do either.

My game is preorederd and paid off from Best Buy with trade ins. You know I am really fucking excited for this game, but usually when I get really excited for a game (Deus Ex, Skyward Sword, Skyrim), I tend to not look at details about the game to A) Not make me want the game more and to B) Keep the game surprising throughout the experience.

The gaming onslaught is going to hit me hard this fall. I took advantage of Gamestop's E3 trade-in promotion and paid off my Zelda Skyward Sword preorder. I hope they announce details about any Wii Motion Plus inclusion/bundle soon, because I will be needing it.

How am I going to make time for this with Xenoblade (PAL), Disgaea 4, Gears of War 3, Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, etc coming? Sony could release the Vita for Christmas and just suck my bank account dry.

[quote name='crunchewy']I haven't actually played TP, but I have played the very end of the game, or rather, one specific part of it, and it makes me not want to play the game at all. And it has absolutely nothing to do with "waggle". In fact, it's a relic of a past time that would have been *better* had it been waggle. It's the press the button as fast as you can mechanic. My son couldn't do it so he asked me to do it. Now I don't want to play that game ever, as I know I'll get to the end of the game have to do that. I'd much rather the game had made me shake the remote fast. Well, OK, I'd rather it didn't do either.[/QUOTE]

There are an inordinate amount of frustrating quick-time events where you need to hit X button at some point but the game as a whole is pretty damn good.

I'm saying this as someone who gave it up after two hours and then picked it up 2 years later. Getting the first 3 jewels or whatever is a major pain but after that the game improves incredibly.

I'm really hoping the lame attempt at immersion won't be present in future zelda games.

I think the game looks good but I'm having trouble with the "one to one-ness" of the Wii Remote sword fighting. Namely the way Link's arm is fully outstretched while waiting for the proper angle of attack. I think I'd prefer if Link kept his arm closer to his body and only the tip of the sword were turning, similar to the way it's done in Wii Sports Resort. Or if the designers just found some other more natural looking way to animate it.

Still gonna buy the game but I imagine this will continue to irk me. Is it a form of uncanny valley?

I'm pretty sure it's exactly like Wii Sports Resort, in the sense that you won't have to be super exaggerated about it.

NINTENDO'S NEW ZELDA GAME SOARS SKYWARD ON NOV. 20

Master the Sword in Link's Newest Motion-Controlled Adventure for Wii

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 17, 2011 – Nintendo's celebration of the 25th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda™ series continues in full force with the announcement that The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword will launch in North America on Nov. 20. The epic adventure, created from the ground up for the Wii™ console, sends this storied series to new heights and marks a turning point for the franchise.

The game uses the precision motion controls of the Wii Remote™ Plus (or a Wii Remote controller with a Wii MotionPlus™ accessory) and Nunchuk™ controllers to map on-screen action to the player's movements. When a player swings the Wii Remote Plus controller, Link™ appears to swing his sword in exactly the same way.

Different enemies have different battle tactics, so players must analyze their approach and develop counterattacks that play on the enemies' weaknesses. The game's wide array of items also use full motion controls, letting players roll bombs, shoot arrows and guide flying objects like never before.

The game includes a massive, multilayered world that takes players from dark dungeons to a diverse overworld to cloud cities in the sky, requiring a combination of puzzle-solving and swordplay to unlock all of its secrets. Link soars through the air on the wings of a majestic bird while exploring the game's sky area, providing players with unprecedented freedom of movement as they progress on their adventure. The quest lays the foundation for the events in The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™, which is frequently cited as one of the greatest video games of all time.

"The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the biggest game in the series yet," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "We've just scratched the surface of this massive experience, and we look forward to sharing additional details with fans as we approach the Nov. 20 launch."

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is now available for pre-order at major retailers throughout North America. A deposit may be required for pre-orders. See individual retailers for details. For more information about the game, visit http://www.zelda.com/skywardsword/.

Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console, Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.7 billion video games and more than 600 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at http://www.nintendo.com.

anything else regarding their 25th anniversary?

its about time they announced a release date. although its going to be a competitive year.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']
"The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the biggest game in the series yet," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "We've just scratched the surface of this massive experience, and we look forward to sharing additional details with fans as we approach the Nov. 20 launch."[/QUOTE]

SPOILER: People will still complain about it for the next 5 years.

New article on IGN:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Box Art, Bundle Revealed

Golden Wii remote and anniversary soundtrack available for limited time.

August 29, 2011

Nintendo has revealed retail bundles for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, including what appears to be the game's final box art design.

As announced at E3 2011, Zelda: Skyward Sword will be available in two formats: a standard release of the game as well as a deluxe edition that comes with a gold, Zelda-themed Wii Remote. The standard game will be priced at the typical MSRP of $49.99 and the deluxe will be priced at $69.99. The gold remote will not be sold outside of the bundle.

Nintendo is also including an additional treat for all Zelda fans, whether they're buying the standard or bundled versions of Skyward Sword. For the "initial production" of the game, a 25th anniversary soundtrack will be included, featuring "select orchestral arrangements of iconic music spanning the history of the franchise which will be performed at The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert performances in October 2011."

Check out the bundle below, which includes a look at what appears to be the final box art for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

2yopo2t.jpg

Link: http://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1191301p1.html

[quote name='KingBroly']Changing my Pre-Order as we speak.[/QUOTE]

i wonder if i can change mine as well. i preordered mine at gamestop.

So this is before OoT right in the zelda series? i dont need to play OoT?

the only zelda i played is zelda link to the past on the SNES and a bit of 4 swords on gamecube.

The Bundle is amazing! $20 for the golden Wii Remote Plus?! Holy shit!

Also, the CD being packaged with every copy of the game is amazing considering this game is going to sell a ton regardless. Very classy Nintendo!

My kids would probably want the remote, but we don't really need another remote, so I guess I'll stick with the disc(s) only version.

Having said that - where can you preorder the remote version? I don't see it on amazon. So, yeah, I guess maybe I'm second guessing myself....

[quote name='crunchewy']My kids would probably want the remote, but we don't really need another remote, so I guess I'll stick with the disc(s) only version.

Having said that - where can you preorder the remote version? I don't see it on amazon. So, yeah, I guess maybe I'm second guessing myself....[/QUOTE]

I don't think they have the limited edition version up on Amazon yet, since the announcement was just made. I'm sure it will be up very soon.

Also, I noticed that Amazon still has the old boxart for the game (which I think looks pretty good), vs. the new boxart. They'll probably be updating that soon as well.

Bundle looks nice I already got the CD from the OOT3d club nintendo thing, but A second one will be nice I can give it as a gift to someone.

The wiimote looks awesome I'll be sure to get this it's around my birthday.

I love the art style in this game but I hope the combat isn't weak sauce. Aonuma can't even beat the Octoroks in Zelda I and he is in charge of the series!

[quote name='willardhaven']I love the art style in this game but I hope the combat isn't weak sauce. Aonuma can't even beat the Octoroks in Zelda I and he is in charge of the series![/QUOTE]

The combat seems very Demon's Souls + Monster Hunter esque if you ask me.

This game looks great but the more time that passes the more I think it is so lame that we aren't getting it in HD with super-detailed graphics. I'm sure this will be one of the best games of the year but in the back of my head I'll always be thinking it could have been even better. I need to buy a Wiimote+ soon.

[quote name='Javery']This game looks great but the more time that passes the more I think it is so lame that we aren't getting it in HD with super-detailed graphics.[/QUOTE]

The same could have been said and was said for TP.

I thought I was done with Nintendo but I'm thinking about picking this up at launch or something close to launch. The watercolor look reminds me a lot of Wind Waker and this game looks/sounds a hell of a lot better than the last 3 Zelda games were (which were kinda underwhelming.. and ST was bad by the series' standards).

Does anyone know if the soundtrack that's advertised with the bundle is the same one as the pre-order bonus soundtrack? I'll have to get the bundle either way as I don't have a Motion + remote/dongle.

[quote name='Javery']This game looks great but the more time that passes the more I think it is so lame that we aren't getting it in HD with super-detailed graphics. I'm sure this will be one of the best games of the year but in the back of my head I'll always be thinking it could have been even better. I need to buy a Wiimote+ soon.[/QUOTE]

I cant help but think the same thing

bread's done
Back