The Macho Man Randy Savage Wrestling Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be pissed if this is the read why Savage was blacklisted for all these years:

With the passing of Randy "Macho" Man Savage on Friday morning, details behind his long-time feud with WWE CEO Vince McMahon have been released to the public by another long-time WWE employee and wrestling legend Rowdy Roddy Piper. Early Saturday morning, Piper publicly commented on why he thinks Savage and McMahon have feuded for over 15 years. Piper made the following comments via hsi Twitter page:

"Randy slapped Vince in a bar...End of that story!!"

It's hard to believe that McMahon could continue a grudge against Savage for over 15 years just because of a physical encounter. If you remember, Bret Hart actually fist fought McMahon in 1997 after the "Montreal Screw Job" where McMahon purposely had Bret lose the WWE title to Shawn Michaels unbeknownst to Bret Hart. And after 12 years, Bret finally returned to the WWE family.

Hulk Hogan has had a rocky relationship with Vince McMahon since his departure from the WWE in 1993. But within a decade, Hogan was back in the WWE and having major feuds with top WWE stars like The Rock at WrestleMania 18.

Vince has also had a long-time feud with Bruno Sammartino since his departure from the company in the late 80's. Their feud boiled over into the public with many personal shots taken between both men. Bruno has said he will never return to the WWE due to Bruno's disgust for WWE's wrestling product. However, over the years, Vince and the WWE has reached out to Bruno to bring him back into the WWE family but Bruno has constantly rejected their offers.

But, For some reason, Savage and McMahon's feud has been much more personal and began when Savage left the WWE in late 1993 to wrestle with WCW. Many wrestling insiders believe that their 'bad blood' was due to a personal relationship between Savage and Vince's daughter Stephanie McMahon.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Duthty's way too high on himself.[/QUOTE]

I saw that same quote and thought the same thing.

NWA/WCW might have had the better wrestling in the 80's, but the WWF was what people outside of the south knew about. Growing up in San Diego, I watched WWF pretty regularly but didn't run into WCW until I was in 8th grade and a kid in my class talked about it frequently.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I'm gonna be pissed if this is the read why Savage was blacklisted for all these years:[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I had almost forgotten about those Savage and Steph rumors.

[quote name='guyver2077']Not sure if you guys discussed this yet but TNA has a new mobile game. I blind bought it for 2.99 for my evo 4g.

The trailer makes it look better than it actually is but for 2.99, im enjoying it.

Check out the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47-HdA3-qv0&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

I got it for my Epic 4g, and it's cheesy as fuck but surprisingly satisfying and well constructed for a cell phone game. LOL @ RVD's skinny arms though.

Good to hear that ROH got a TV deal. Sadly, no Chicago affiliate.

However, it's excellent to know that they'll have the show online. I know some of you might riot when I say this, but I've never seen a ROH dealie before. I've only heard from people their experiences and they've all been very good.

[quote name='xilly']I got it for my Epic 4g, and it's cheesy as fuck but surprisingly satisfying and well constructed for a cell phone game. LOL @ RVD's skinny arms though.[/QUOTE]

LOL yea.. Some animations need work but runs pretty well and nice to have a wrestling game to go on my phone.

Graphics scream No Mercy

btw...Does the music cut off during the entrances for you?

[quote name='guyver2077']LOL yea.. Some animations need work but runs pretty well and nice to have a wrestling game to go on my phone.

Graphics scream No Mercy

btw...Does the music cut off during the entrances for you?[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty much about 2-4 seconds of music for the entrances, cause yeah mine does that too. I also love that they put in the video screens but nothing plays on them. Reminds me of the good old PS1 Smackdown days. :p

[quote name='Regian']Good to hear that ROH got a TV deal. Sadly, no Chicago affiliate.

However, it's excellent to know that they'll have the show online. I know some of you might riot when I say this, but I've never seen a ROH dealie before. I've only heard from people their experiences and they've all been very good.[/QUOTE]
Happy for this. I'm in their Tampa Bay market. It will be nice to see ROH on the tv for a change.

Sinclair makes News Corp/Fox look like a bunch of progressive liberal hippies.

I guess yay for a TV deal with a burgeoning network affiliate that has little to no original content and owns UHF stations in an era where such stations' need to exist is nonexistent.

But still, good for ROH. It is a step up from HDNet. And on a selfish note, ROH back on TV likely means a return to TV tapings in Philadelphia, and that means free tickets for me to go see ROH.

I'm a bit amazed that the entire promotion was sold to Sinclair, though. I'm happy for the wrestlers who want to get paid to do their craft, or have enough self-respect to not want to work for TNA or WWE. But fuckin' Sinclair? Man, that sucks.

Great news about ROH. Of course, no affiliate in GA. Every state around GA but not in GA. It's all good, though, I'll just continue to watch it online like I always have.

[quote name='neocisco']Great news about ROH. Of course, no affiliate in GA. Every state around GA but not in GA. It's all good, though, I'll just continue to watch it online like I always have.[/QUOTE]

Its already reported that Sinclair will sell the rights to ROH in markets that they don't have affiliates in. So many of you who are without Sinclair in your area still could very well get ROH if a station decides to pick it up. Especially now with many over the stations gaining viewers due to many people cutting cable/sat services there is definitely going to be stations thirsty for new original programming.

macho.jpg

[quote name='Halo05']I saw that same quote and thought the same thing.

NWA/WCW might have had the better wrestling in the 80's, but the WWF was what people outside of the south knew about. Growing up in San Diego, I watched WWF pretty regularly but didn't run into WCW until I was in 8th grade and a kid in my class talked about it frequently.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. He was great back then, but he was never mainstream like Savage, Hogan, Andre, Rock, Austin, Piper, or any number of other wrestlers. I could keep naming people for a while before I got to the part of the list where he belongs.

Yeah unfortunately I've talked with people from the south about wrestling and made mention of Dusty Rhodes since he was big back then and they usually only had a vague idea.

[quote name='neocisco']Great news about ROH. Of course, no affiliate in GA. Every state around GA but not in GA. It's all good, though, I'll just continue to watch it online like I always have.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, nothing in CA... in fact Vegas is the only spot west of San Antonio. Le Sigh.

-------------

So I'm watching SD right now (actually first Smackdown I've watched in a couple of years, and the first WWE TV outside of PPV in a while. Does it sound like they edit in crowd noise in the post-production? Or is Ezekiel Jackson that over with the crowd?

Very happy to hear that ROH got a new TV deal. I don't know if any networks here in North Carolina will carry it, but so long as I can watch it online I'm good.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Duthty's way too high on himself.[/QUOTE]
Though I wouldn't put Dusty on that list, he's somewhat right. Most non-wrestling fans know who Hogan, Savage, Flair, Andre, Austin, Rock, and Warrior are. They're pretty much household names as far as pop culture goes - wrestling was absolutely HUGE in the 80's, and there's a short list of guys who transcended wrestling fame into mainstream name recognition.

Even Flair is sort of a stretch for me, but he's essentially the Hogan of the south. I didn't get as much exposure to him in Ohio, but he was a huge star (along with Dusty and maybe Strongbow or Wahoo) down south where it was still largely regional.

[quote name='JJSP']Though I wouldn't put Dusty on that list, he's somewhat right. Most non-wrestling fans know who Hogan, Savage, Flair, Andre, Austin, Rock, and Warrior are. They're pretty much household names as far as pop culture goes - wrestling was absolutely HUGE in the 80's, and there's a short list of guys who transcended wrestling fame into mainstream name recognition.

Even Flair is sort of a stretch for me, but he's essentially the Hogan of the south. I didn't get as much exposure to him in Ohio, but he was a huge star (along with Dusty and maybe Strongbow or Wahoo) down south where it was still largely regional.[/QUOTE]

Flair would probably be at the bottom of the top tier or top of the second tier with guys like Hart, Lawler, and Michaels. Dusty would be in a class with Sting, Steiner, Luger, and maybe Jarrett.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That may be my new favorite 'rasslin Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc4hP1Fcii4[/QUOTE]

Went to middle and high school with Michelle McCool. Isn't she married to the Undertaker? If so, that is nasty. I was watching him wrestle in Elementary school and she is younger than me.

Is that Weird Al in that gif?

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Flair would probably be at the bottom of the top tier or top of the second tier with guys like Hart, Lawler, and Michaels. Dusty would be in a class with Sting, Steiner, Luger, and maybe Jarrett.[/QUOTE]

Lawler equal to Flair and above Sting? Extremely incorrect. Lawler is best known nationally for being an announcer and is perceived as someone who used to wrestle somewhere in the South years ago. Lawler is the very definition of regionally famous. I'd even put Luger above Lawler due to his high visibility run in WWE boosting his profile in addition to his long tenures in WCW.

[quote name='neocisco']Is that Weird Al in that gif?

Lawler equal to Flair and above Sting? Extremely incorrect. Lawler is best known nationally for being an announcer and is perceived as someone who used to wrestle somewhere in the South years ago. Lawler is the very definition of regionally famous. I'd even put Luger above Lawler due to his high visibility run in WWE boosting his profile in addition to his long tenures in WCW.[/QUOTE]

Lawler is known more because of the Andy Kaufman incidents especially the one on Dave Letterman in the 1980's and the movie about Kaufman's life, "Man on the Moon."

[quote name='neocisco']Is that Weird Al in that gif?

Lawler equal to Flair and above Sting? Extremely incorrect. Lawler is best known nationally for being an announcer and is perceived as someone who used to wrestle somewhere in the South years ago. Lawler is the very definition of regionally famous. I'd even put Luger above Lawler due to his high visibility run in WWE boosting his profile in addition to his long tenures in WCW.[/QUOTE]

Lawler has had some visibility outside of wrestling, particularly with the Kaufman feud. Ask 100 people about Sting the vast majority will think you are talking about the singer and no one that doesn't follow wrestling will know who Lex Luger is.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Lawler is known more because of the Andy Kaufman incidents especially the one on Dave Letterman in the 1980's and the movie about Kaufman's life, "Man on the Moon."[/QUOTE]

I still disagree. IMO, if you poll 100 hundred random people and ask them if they know who Ric Flair is and who Jerry Lawler is, Flair would win hands down. If you stand in a crowd and yell "Wooooo!" an inordinate amount of people will probably get the reference.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Lawler has had some visibility outside of wrestling, particularly with the Kaufman feud. Ask 100 people about Sting the vast majority will think you are talking about the singer and no one that doesn't follow wrestling will know who Lex Luger is.[/QUOTE]

OK, from a pop culture standpoint that's a fair point and I can agree with it.

[quote name='neocisco']I still disagree. IMO, if you poll 100 hundred random people and ask them if they know who Ric Flair is and who Jerry Lawler is, Flair would win hands down. If you stand in a crowd and yell "Wooooo!" an inordinate amount of people will probably get the reference.

OK, from a pop culture standpoint that's a fair point and I can agree with it.[/QUOTE]

I was going pop culture too. I state (now clearer) that Lawler is bigger culturally than Sting and Luger. Okay. Flair and the "Wooooooooo!" has little bit higher profile than Lawler.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I was going pop culture too. I state (now clearer) that Lawler is bigger culturally than Sting and Luger. Okay. Flair and the "Wooooooooo!" has little bit higher profile than Lawler.[/QUOTE]

They built a lottery ticket around Flair. The fucking hockey games use his Woo to get the crowd going. I know I am in NC, but Flair is going to completely eclipse the popularity of Lawler. Most people if they saw Lawler and recognized him for anything he did back in the day wouldn't even know his name. Also you are way overstating the impact of a run with Kaufman, a show no one watched in the 80's, and a movie that tanked.

[quote name='Demolition Man']That Barrett/Zeke match was fucking god awful.

By the way... its pretty sad that we get an reference to The Rapture before Macho Man.[/QUOTE]

They opened up the show with a tribute screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back