The Macho Man Randy Savage Wrestling Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='KaneRobot']It's pretty infuriating that WWE.com still has no mention of this - even if they "haven't had time" (yeah, sure) to update their site, their Twitter doesn't say anything either.[/QUOTE]

WWE.com must of updated in the last few minutes as Savage is on the front page right now.

On that note.... yeah..... RIP Savage. :cry:

[quote name='007']I'm damn curious to see how WWE handles all of this. By all rights, Savage is a name that deserves an entire tribute show, like when Hogan or Flair die. Hopefully this finally gets rid of all the bad blood and Savage gets the WWE recognition he truly deserves.

From a fan standpoint, this is devastating.[/QUOTE]

I 100 percent agree. There aren't many others out there with the legacy of Macho Man. As far as the complete package, there are few that could ever touch him. Micheals, Angle, and Flair are the only ones that even come close as far as being able to do it all.

I have already broke the WWE Routine and haven't kept up in a month or so. (Not that there's anything to really lose track of, thanks to the Internet.) To be honest, if they don't honor him on Monday, I'm just going to keep walking away from their product. That would be some classless, arrogant shit, and, as a fan, I won't support a company with so little respect and appreciation for their workers. It's already disgusting how they started making their workers pay for their own health expenses. What a company.

[quote name='TheRock88']That is fucking sad as hell. If WWE has any class left in them, he better get more than a little memorial screen at the beginning of Raw. Hopefully at least an on air mention by the announcers. RIP Macho Man.[/QUOTE]

I have already broke the WWE Routine and haven't kept up in a month or so. (Not that there's anything to really lose track of, thanks to the Internet.)

To be honest, if they don't honor him on Monday, I'm just going to keep walking away from their product. That would be some classless, arrogant shit, and, as a fan, I won't support a company with so little respect and appreciation for their workers. It's already disgusting how they started making their workers pay for their own health expenses.

What a company.

I have WM3 on dvd, time to watch Macho Man V Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat again. WWE and TNA have him on their front pages I don't see why there won't be a memorial of some kind on tv.

[quote name='Chase']I have already broke the WWE Routine and haven't kept up in a month or so. (Not that there's anything to really lose track of, thanks to the Internet.)

To be honest, if they don't honor him on Monday, I'm just going to keep walking away from their product. That would be some classless, arrogant shit, and, as a fan, I won't support a company with so little respect and appreciation for their workers. It's already disgusting how they started making their workers pay for their own health expenses.

What a company.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you. If they dont do something special for him on Monday, they just lost themselves another fan.

On a list of modern day legends (that being people like Hogan, Flair, Warrior, Sting, etc), I wouldn't have put Macho Man at dying this soon. This is pretty devastating to both current and past fans.

You know WWE won't do anything more than a "In memory of Randy Savage" thing before Raw and maybe a compilation of videos of his career on the Classics on Demand section.

We'll get a video package on Raw (along with the standard bumper graphic at the beginning of the show), but not much else. Hope I'm wrong.

The more I think about it, the sadder I actually become. The fact that he never had, and never will, his 'Bret Hart' moment is something that will always carry a tinge of sadness to it. Whether it was important to Savage or not, I'll never pretend to speak for the man, it was important to us. I don't think there's anyone on here that wouldn't have tuned in if Savage was appearing on Raw for that first time. Even just thinking about it now, I get goosebumps imagining what it would've been like to have Raw come on the air and have Pomp and Circumstance start playing. Even just a HoF appearance would've been something. We're not backstage, nor do we know the politics, so for most of us it just feels like Savage was an unsung hero of the 80s and 90s, someone that WWE has just swept under the carpet. While I wanted the man to get his due for his own sake, in reality I wanted it just as much for me. I'll be sad that it (hopefully) took an untimely death to finally get Savage his truly deserved place in the 'official' (i.e. WWE) history of wrestling.

I think, too, that this one hit me particularly hard simply because Savage hasn't destroyed his legacy the way other legends have. I love and appreciate what Hogan and Flair have done, but it's tough to not have my view of them tainted by what they've become. Savage, by staying out of the spotlight for as long as he has, has maintain that aura around him that made it feel, just for a second, like this was a man who was cut down while still in his prime. For a sport that's lost so much of it's allure and mystique in the past 15 years, I could still simply envision Savage just as he was back when he was a star. Maybe that's why I want WWE to do something big, because, to me, Savage was still one of the few, if not the last, truly mythical legends this industry had.

Dig it.

[quote name='silentevil']I have WM3 on dvd, time to watch Macho Man V Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat again.[/QUOTE]

Right there with you. One of the Greatest Matching in Pro Wrestling History.

R.I.P. Macho

I don't really follow wrestling much any more but used to watch every week when it was on Sunday mornings and Savage was always fun to watch.

RIP Macho Man.

[quote name='007']The more I think about it, the sadder I actually become. The fact that he never had, and never will, his 'Bret Hart' moment is something that will always carry a tinge of sadness to it. Whether it was important to Savage or not, I'll never pretend to speak for the man, it was important to us.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much how I feel about it. For all I know, Savage didn't care about getting one last moment or whatever, but it's safe to say as fans it would have been huge.

It's cliched to say "it's not fair," but this one really doesn't seem fair. When wrestlers pass, we are almost used to bizarre and shocking circumstances (Owen, Benoit), as well as sad-but-you-knew-it-was-coming deaths. But this guy got out of the wrestling business and seemed content with life. He didn't drive his body into the ground by continuing to do it for too long & seemed to be well-liked by his peers, and was obviously respected by younger wrestlers and loved by fans. The list of names bigger than his is very short.

It's hard to come up with someone who was as good as Savage on *both* promos and in-ring ability. Some were better in ring, some were better promos, but I'd say only Flair was up there with him on both fronts...and I always preferred Savage's insanity to Flair's cockiness.

I bought a vhs long ago with:
Mr. Perfect w/The Genius vs Rugged Ronnie Garvin
Bushwackers promo and 3 of thier matches (Boleshaviks, L.O.D, and one other team)
Jake The Snake vs Ravishing Rick Rude
Maco King Randy Savage & Zeus vs Hulk Hogan & Brutus The Barber Beefcake in a steel cage.

Anyone remember this and/or what it was called?

[quote name='silentevil']I bought a vhs long ago with:
Mr. Perfect w/The Genius vs Rugged Ronnie Garvin
Bushwackers promo and 3 of thier matches (Boleshaviks, L.O.D, and one other team)
Jake The Snake vs Ravishing Rick Rude
Maco King Randy Savage & Zeus vs Hulk Hogan & Brutus The Barber Beefcake in a steel cage.

Anyone remember this and/or what it was called?[/QUOTE]

wasnt the zeus thing Summerslam 89

nope seems it was the pPV after summerslam

Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake met Randy Savage and Zeus in a rematch at No Holds Barred pay-per-view contested under a steel cage where Hogan and Beefcake won again

Jay Lethal wrote a poem about the man.

You inspired me more than this world will ever know. Enjoy.

You were a tower of power that was too sweet to be sour,
You were funky like a monkey every minute of every hour.
For you, space was the place and time distortion had to be,
And your fans here on earth wanted the madness for eternity.
You met every challenge with fists clinched and face to face,
You even fought and defeats dragons and snakes.
Flying off the ropes with an elbow drop,
There was no way you could ever be stopped.
Identifiable by your voice alone,
Even being Dubbed the macho king while you sat on your throne.
We hung on your words with interviews memorable and classic,
And we knew it was serious when you took off your glasses.
I promise not to lose you in the sands of time,
For you will always be that all time hero of mine.
--jay lethal--

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/aj7llu

Everyone around my office is talking about the death of Savage. This is huge.

I was hoping to see him get his "Bret Hart moment" too.

Saddened to see him go.

I dont comment often but... Damn this was horrible news. I fucking love Randy Savage. I was another dying to see him appear in the WWE again. We needed him to have a "Bret Hart moment". RIP Macho King.

This blows, a true legend, my phone has been blowing up all day with the "Macho Man died." text. Good to see such an out pouring on FB, twitter, and here for him, truly deserves it.... The afterlife just got a hug dose of Madness. RIP Machp

Such a great picture...

eYmR3.jpg

[quote name='slidecage']wasnt the zeus thing Summerslam 89

nope seems it was the pPV after summerslam

Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake met Randy Savage and Zeus in a rematch at No Holds Barred pay-per-view contested under a steel cage where Hogan and Beefcake won again[/QUOTE]
I have no idea when the matches happened. I bought the tape probably '91 or '92. I was very young and local video store went bust. If I remember correctly the tape was a compilation for the fans. I'm just trying to remember the name of it. I'm willing to bet it's still at my moms house if she hasn't thrown them all away.

[quote name='007']The more I think about it, the sadder I actually become. The fact that he never had, and never will, his 'Bret Hart' moment is something that will always carry a tinge of sadness to it. Whether it was important to Savage or not, I'll never pretend to speak for the man, it was important to us. I don't think there's anyone on here that wouldn't have tuned in if Savage was appearing on Raw for that first time. Even just thinking about it now, I get goosebumps imagining what it would've been like to have Raw come on the air and have Pomp and Circumstance start playing. Even just a HoF appearance would've been something. We're not backstage, nor do we know the politics, so for most of us it just feels like Savage was an unsung hero of the 80s and 90s, someone that WWE has just swept under the carpet. While I wanted the man to get his due for his own sake, in reality I wanted it just as much for me. I'll be sad that it (hopefully) took an untimely death to finally get Savage his truly deserved place in the 'official' (i.e. WWE) history of wrestling.

I think, too, that this one hit me particularly hard simply because Savage hasn't destroyed his legacy the way other legends have. I love and appreciate what Hogan and Flair have done, but it's tough to not have my view of them tainted by what they've become. Savage, by staying out of the spotlight for as long as he has, has maintain that aura around him that made it feel, just for a second, like this was a man who was cut down while still in his prime. For a sport that's lost so much of it's allure and mystique in the past 15 years, I could still simply envision Savage just as he was back when he was a star. Maybe that's why I want WWE to do something big, because, to me, Savage was still one of the few, if not the last, truly mythical legends this industry had.

Dig it.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree.

[quote name='silentevil']I have no idea when the matches happened. I bought the tape probably '91 or '92. I was very young and local video store went bust. If I remember correctly the tape was a compilation for the fans. I'm just trying to remember the name of it. I'm willing to bet it's still at my moms house if she hasn't thrown them all away.[/QUOTE]

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/6302158303...iveASIN=6302158303&adid=1538VDQY054708AKRED5&

-Mr. Perfect (w/ the Genius) pinned Ron Garvin at 10:45 by reversing a small package (12/12/89; Nashville, TN; Municipal Auditorium)
- The Bushwhackers defeated Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov at 9:23 following the battering ram and a double gutbuster on Zhukov after Zhukov accidentally clotheslined his partner to the floor (12/30/88; Madison Square Garden; the Bushwhackers' debut)
- The Bushwhackers defeated Bad News Brown & the Brooklyn Brawler at 5:41 following the battering ram and a double gutbuster on the Brawler as Bad News was arguing with several fans at ringside (5/89; Duluth, MN)
- The Bushwhackers defeated the Powers of Pain (w/ Mr.Fuji) via disqualification at the 9-minute mark when Fuji hit Butch with his cane; after the bout, Luke used the cane to clear the ring of the opposition (10/8/89; Toronto, Ontario; Maple Leaf Gardens)
- Rick Rude pinned Tito Santana at 16:43 by holding onto the ring ropes as Santana attempted a sunset flip into the ring (2/11/89; Boston Garden)
- Jake Roberts pinned Ted Dibiase (w/ Virgil) at 16:16 with a roll up as Dibiase played to the fans (4/24/89; Madison Square Garden)
- Tugboat Thomas pinned Iron Mike Sharpe with a splash at 2:26 (WWF Superstars - 1/3/90; Birmingham, AL; Tugboat's TV debut)
- WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake defeated Randy Savage (w/ Sensational Sherri) & Zeus in a steel cage match at 9:27 when Hogan pinned Zeus after a bodyslam and three legdrops ("No Holds Barred - The Match / The Movie" - 12/12/89; Nashville, TN; Municipal Auditorium)

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell does any of this have to do with the death of Randy Savage?
Sorry but the first 11 pages of this thread have NOTHING to do with Randy.

WTF

[quote name='Slappybob']What the hell does any of this have to do with the death of Randy Savage?

WTF[/QUOTE]

This was the wrestling thread. It has been converted over to Macho Man RIP thread. Eventually this will get too big and a new thread will start.

I'm not sure if I want to go to the wrestling show tonight now because it will be nice to hang out with some fans and celebrate the Macho Man or if I want to sit it out.

As an aside, no less than a dozen of my coworkers were talking about Macho today. Regardless of what may or may not have led to Macho's disappearance from the WWF, he's an absolute legend in the sport and he left way too early. 007 hit it perfectly; I would LOVE to see Raw open with "Pomp and Circumstance", a ten-bell salute, and the announcement that Randy is the first inducted into the 2012 HOF class (if not the last of the 2011 class).

Damn shame that Lethal isn't with TNA anymore. I'd love to see him drop an elbow on someone.

If I could find a good image of his sunglasses, I'd so try to 'shop them into my av right now. Sucks that my skills are so low though.

[quote name='Slappybob']What the hell does any of this have to do with the death of Randy Savage?

WTF[/QUOTE]
It's standard procedure whenever a wrestler passes to rename the current wrestling thread to acknowledge said wrestler's death.

[quote name='JJSP']As an aside, no less than a dozen of my coworkers were talking about Macho today. Regardless of what may or may not have led to Macho's disappearance from the WWF, he's an absolute legend in the sport and he left way too early. 007 hit it perfectly; I would LOVE to see Raw open with "Pomp and Circumstance", a ten-bell salute, and the announcement that Randy is the first inducted into the 2012 HOF class (if not the last of the 2011 class).[/quote]

WWE.com already has a video up - 90 seconds of what looks like something that was taken straight from the DVD set, with a "Randy Savage, 1952-2011" at the end. I doubt we get much more than that on Raw.

This news is everywhere and people are talking about it for sure. It's great evidence of what an amazing cultural experience pro wrestling is, and how this "Dora the Explorer" mentality WWE has won't cut it. If John Cena died this morning in a car wreck it would be huge news, but it wouldn't be *water cooler* news. That's a big difference in terms of the product - Macho Man is more culturally relevant with a wider berth of people in 2011 than John fucking Cena.

And all the credit in the world to Macho for that.

Damn shame that Lethal isn't with TNA anymore. I'd love to see him drop an elbow on someone.

TNA is already on the phone with him trying to rehire him.

[quote name='mykevermin']WWE.com already has a video up - 90 seconds of what looks like something that was taken straight from the DVD set, with a "Randy Savage, 1952-2011" at the end. I doubt we get much more than that on Raw.

This news is everywhere and people are talking about it for sure. It's great evidence of what an amazing cultural experience pro wrestling was, and how this "Dora the Explorer" mentality WWE has won't cut it. If John Cena died this morning in a car wreck it would be huge news, but it wouldn't be *water cooler* news. That's a big difference in terms of the product - Macho Man is more culturally relevant with a wider berth of people in 2011 than John fucking Cena.

And all the credit in the world to Macho for that.

[/QUOTE]

Fixed.
RIP to Macho. And I agree with what you said, i have to add that most of WWF Stars of 80's (Andre, Hogan, Piper) have that type of cultural effect. Since then, maybe Austin & Rock have that same stature in ad of wrestling.

Jay Lethal posted this awesome poem on his twitter -
You inspired me more than this world will ever know. Enjoy.

You were a tower of power that was too sweet to be sour,
You were funky like a monkey every minute of every hour.
For you, space was the place and time distortion had to be,
And your fans here on earth wanted the madness for eternity.
You met every challenge with fists clinched and face to face,
You even fought and defeats dragons and snakes.
Flying off the ropes with an elbow drop,
There was no way you could ever be stopped.
Identifiable by your voice alone,
Even being Dubbed the macho king while you sat on your throne.
We hung on your words with interviews memorable and classic,
And we knew it was serious when you took off your glasses.
I promise not to lose you in the sands of time,
For you will always be that all time hero of mine.

TNA has a page dedicated to Savage on their site and WWE will apparently be doing a new video on the PPV and Vince might speak about him on Raw. There's an awesome new Observer radio with Larry Matysik, who knew Randy since 1970, and it covers his baseball career, wrestling career, especially his run as an outlaw in the late '70s and early '80s and just what had to be done to get him to come to St. Louis, just how big his Slim Jim sponsorship was (first wrestler to really get sponsorship and easily put Slim Jim on the map) and personal life very well - including likely being unable to have kids with Liz, which was the reason for the '91 retirement due to his steroid usage. I also learned a lot about just how much of a draw Randy was in WCW - he and Flair's program was the first one that helped WCW's anemic mid-'90s house show attendance and his quarter hours were some of the highest in the promotion.

Here's the interview -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dxms8y

If you want a great complimentary set to WWE's, there should be one up on either XWT or PWT by J+M Productions that has some of his St. Louis stuff on it - all of the St. Louis footage came from Larry's personal collection, as he, much like Buddy Rose with Portland, was one of the first to archive stuff with VCRs and is actually the reason there's any surviving footage of either group. There's also some great Savage stuff from Memphis on both the 5-disc Wrestling Gold set with excellent Meltzer/Cornette commentary and the Highspots Memphis DVDs as well as more complete stuff in the DVDVR Memphis collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Demolition Man']Such a great picture...

eYmR3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I won't lie. This made me tear up a little bit. Man tear.

WTF [/quote]

lol. We edited the thread title of the current wrestling thread.

I've been meaning to order the Macho Man DVD set for a while. I went out today to a local Hastings store and saw it was $24.99. Checked Amazon and it was $11.99, so I placed an order. It'll ship in 9 to 14 days, but still.

I rarely feel compelled to post here anymore (for obvious reasons), but this is a death I simply must comment on with my old friends (and foes). I still always think of Myke and that bright purple Macho Man T-shirt.

Savage was one of my all-time favorites. A staple of my childhood, the man was arguably one of the best in-ring performers, most colorful characters, craziest personas, and had the most recognizable voice of anyone on the planet.

His legendary Wrestlemania 3-5 performances are amongst the most replayed matches in my DVD player, and I can't count how many times I've watched the Macho Madness DVD set.

The wrestling industry lost a good one today, and a real pity as he in the process of slowly rebuilding his bridge with the WWE.

Watching his matches just won't feel the same, knowing he's gone. Savage will be truly missed.

[quote name='silentevil']This was the wrestling thread. It has been converted over to Macho Man RIP thread. Eventually this will get too big and a new thread will start.[/QUOTE]

The old trend was to close the old topic (at least temporarily) and then start a new tribute thread, but what do I know... it really doesn't matter that much either way.

Not only was Randy a great wrestler, but I also recall his participation in many charity events on behalf of the WW(F). I also remember a WWE commercial where he played baseball with a kid who was sad about the then baseball strike with the tagline "World Wrestling Federation: Our season never ends". The guy truly worked his ass off.

Seeing as how next year's WM is in Florida, it would be a crime to ignore a Savage induction into the HoF.

They'll probably do Savage/Liz next year. In hindsight, it's a real shame they half-assed his DVD release by not putting in a documentary or getting any thoughts from him on his own career.

Of all the guys most associated with the WWF in the 80s, Savage was probably the best all-around guy. The other that springs to mind might be Ted DiBiase but he didn't get to spend as much time at the very top as Macho Man.

Still, this is unbelievably depressing. His set is pretty awesome even if it is missing much of a documentary. Then again, it has his matches and his promos so that really says all you need.

I'm at least convinced that he went out content. He was married, he was out of wrestling, and I think he was living comfortably. I remember being sad as a young'n when he switched to more commentating than wrestling although it made his occasional returns to the WWF ring more exciting when they happened. Him putting over Yokozuna back in (I think) 1993 really solidified Yoko as a dominant heel, moreso than Hogan getting blasted by a fireball.

I too would 'shop Macho shades on my avatar if I had such skills.

Went to TRU with the little one, and actually found the WWE Allstars two pack of Macho and Morrison and picked it up. I was kinda on the fence for the last few weeks, but the fig was too awesome to pass anymore. On the way home Lica texted me that he passed. A shame truly, as he was and will always be such an icon for the industry. Getting home, I ganked the IC belt from my mattel Warrior, and slapped it on Macho. The little one dragged out the Wrestlemania classic ring, and we proceeded to top turnbuckle launch Macho, on nearly every wrestler we have. Granted she is 10 and a 'Cenite', she carries insane respect for Macho, and top rope elbows outside the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back