The Macho Man Randy Savage Wrestling Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WWE isn't going to be paying for the "Superstars'" health insurance anymore. They'll have to get their own. Those cheap bastards. Apparently, UFC, on the other hand, is paying for health insurance for its fighters now.

[quote name='BlueSwim']The WWE isn't going to be paying for the "Superstars'" health insurance anymore. They'll have to get their own. Those cheap bastards. Apparently, UFC, on the other hand, is paying for health insurance for its fighters now.[/QUOTE]

Premiums for Sooperstars™ are ridiculously expensive. But hey, they're independent contractors anyway. :roll:

I'm glad I'm not the only one watching the greatness of 1990 on jtv today. Foley with both ears. Warrior Ho Kogan promos. Ahh memories.

You know what, guys? I'm far from a John Cena mark but, quite frankly, if I was getting paid the kind of money he is for doing the same act every night with virtually zero chance of getting hurt, I probably wouldn't learn a bunch of superfluous moves, either. Worked out pretty well for Hulk Hogan who, quite frankly, in his prime, was worse than Cena is today but for some reason is the unchallenged god of pro wrestling, ironically, to the people who are bashing John Cena for having the exact same career.

Also, off-topic, but I'm pretty sure I pulled a Nash last night and tore my quad in my sleep.

[quote name='Survivalism']You know what, guys? I'm far from a John Cena mark but, quite frankly, if I was getting paid the kind of money he is for doing the same act every night with virtually zero chance of getting hurt, I probably wouldn't learn a bunch of superfluous moves, either. Worked out pretty well for Hulk Hogan who, quite frankly, in his prime, was worse than Cena is today but for some reason is the unchallenged god of pro wrestling, ironically, to the people who are bashing John Cena for having the exact same career.

Also, off-topic, but I'm pretty sure I pulled a Nash last night and tore my quad in my sleep.[/QUOTE]

The main difference is that Hogan wasn't on television every week. You saw him on television, usually cutting a promo but rarely wrestling. He wasn't even on Prime Time Wrestling every week. To see him, you'd have to go to a house show every couple of months, pay for a PPV, or watch Saturday Night's Main Event. Vince made seeing Hogan wrestle seem special by doing this. But if Hogan was on Superstars or Challenge every week wrestling the same match, people would have turned on him well before 1991 (referencing the pop Taker got when he beat Hogan at Survivor Series and the boos he received at the 1992 Rumble). Look at what happened in WCW. They took the Hogan gimmick, threw it out there every week, and he was booed out of the building before they were forced to turn him heel.

How did you tear your quad while sleeping?

[quote name='mitch079']The main difference is that Hogan wasn't on television every week. You saw him on television, usually cutting a promo but rarely wrestling. He wasn't even on Prime Time Wrestling every week. To see him, you'd have to go to a house show every couple of months, pay for a PPV, or watch Saturday Night's Main Event. Vince made seeing Hogan wrestle seem special by doing this. But if Hogan was on Superstars or Challenge every week wrestling the same match, people would have turned on him well before 1991 (referencing the pop Taker got when he beat Hogan at Survivor Series and the boos he received at the 1992 Rumble). Look at what happened in WCW. They took the Hogan gimmick, threw it out there every week, and he was booed out of the building before they were forced to turn him heel.

How did you tear your quad while sleeping?[/QUOTE]

With the lack of real competition out there, I have no idea why they don't go back to this and use the IC and US titles as sort of a TV title for their respective show that is defended weekly. Not only would this keep the top title feuds from getting stale before the PPV but it would also make the secondary titles more important in the grand scheme of things.

Back in the day, neither Hogan or Flair wrestled outside of a house show, PPV, or SNME/Clash setting. The weekly shows were for their promos and occasionally a sneak attack to set up the next storyline.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can you point to some things in 1998 that illustrate your point?[/quote]
This is just WWF:
* Owen Hart was one of their most over people following Montreal and he got buried
* Los Boricuas would align with DX every week only to get turned on
* Undertaker switching repeatedly between face and heel because they hadn't built up any heels to face Austin
* Undertaker aligning with Kane almost overnight
* Savio Vega being substituted for a PPV main event in place of Shawn Michaels
* Dude Love being a heel main eventer because he suddenly became a corporate shill
* Redoing the Montreal Screwjob
* WWF having a largely terrible undercard
* Kaientai vs. Val Venis
* Brawl For All
* Undertaker and Mankind in a Hell in a Cell match almost two years after they stopped feuding
* Kane winning the World Title for a day
...and more. WCW would go on for pages.

Can you give some examples of wrestlers as writers who did not ever put themselves in the promotion? It's easy to say Kevin Nash didn't get it, (1) because he didn't, and (2) because he was more concerned with putting himself and his friends over than in growing the promotion. But more along the lines of wrestlers behind the scenes who don't get it - guys like Kevin Sullivan or Dutch Mantell (though I think he's unfairly maligned to an extent).
Kevin Sullivan and Dutch Mantell were the forerunners in my mind of some of the most boring wrestling produced. IIRC, Sullivan was the one behind most of WCW summer 1999. Dusty Rhodes has come up with some of the most wackjob ideas ever. Jerry Lawler might as well have been running a carnival in Memphis. Jim Cornette would have us all living in the 80's if possible.

070.jpg

Gimpact Wrestling. :rofl:

I've never been particularly fond of Hogan and don't think he's the end all, be all of professional wrestling. He's never struck me as particularly talented and the only reason he was so popular was because he had an excellent agent who got him the most mainstream exposure of any wrestler to that point.

Oh fuck you for beating me to "Happy May 19th."

Kane vs. Brian May in a Kane mask!
30m7aki.jpg

...this was better:

nnlili.jpg

19lau.jpg

...then Kane took his mask back and threw Kane II out the door, rendering him a retarded hick that responded to bells.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hogan also didn't wear jean shorts.[/QUOTE]

I'll take jorts over Hogan's stupid little yella panties (credit: Steve Austin).

I remember becoming a favorite member on a forum around the time of that angle. I randomly popped into their wrestling thread as I do this one and said, "Fake Kane is looking tore up. Gotta do sumtin' bout dat hair girlfriend."

[quote name='neocisco']You just couldn't wait until at least the morning, could you?[/QUOTE]

KaneRobot had to get served with a combobreaker.

Seriously, I just happened to look at my phone after midnight. Sadly enough, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the date.

I'm the same way, unfortunately. If I ever get married it can't be on 5/19. I hope I don't have kids born on 5/19.

5/19 is forever ruined.

I totally forgot about this - when Sting did his very brief/fans-aren't-buying-it heel turn in WCW (smacking red-and-yella Hogan with a bat during a title match), they played this video to try to suggest he had some evil agenda ever since his transformation to The Crow.

This is laughably bad. It makes zero sense and is a horrible attempt to come up with a reason for the heel turn after the fact, when they easily could have just said he was still pissed at Hogan and didn't forgive him like the fans did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnHa4xw4ewc

We should have seen THE CLUES.

RAw ratings segement breakdown:
Kofi Kingston vs. CM Punk lost 97,000 viewers from the opener while Kelly Kelly vs. Brie Bella and Kharma's appearance gained 333,000 viewers. There seems to be a trend of Diva segments doing well in the ratings since Kharma's arrival.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio gained 1,500 viewers, which isn't good for the 10pm timeslot. Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole's contract signing lost 70,000 viewers while Kane & Big Show vs. Nexus lost 165,000 more viewers.

The main event of John Cena vs. Jack Swagger and The Miz's post-match attack gained 560,000 viewers, bringing the overrun to a 3.40. This less than usual for RAW's overruns.

I'm still confused how a certain segment can "gain" viewers. If they're watching another channel how do they know that Kharma came on Raw to turn back to it?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm still confused how a certain segment can "gain" viewers. If they're watching another channel how do they know that Kharma came on Raw to turn back to it?[/QUOTE]

A friend can call you up and say "Hey, the chicks are on! Kharma's about to coe out and whoop some ass!" or, they just happen to turn it back on during the chick match, or during the commercial before the match starts. Or, they could be on the forum here and see the posts with people telling you what's going on and quickly turn back.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']A friend can call you up and say "Hey, the chicks are on! Kharma's about to coe out and whoop some ass!" or, they just happen to turn it back on during the chick match, or during the commercial before the match starts. Or, they could be on the forum here and see the posts with people telling you what's going on and quickly turn back.[/QUOTE]

The most likely scenario of those is to turn it back but even that seems unreliable because essentially if they're channel surfing they're only getting a small snippet. I guess my point is that I can see tracking the "lost" viewers to see how a segment is trending with the public BUT using gained viewers seems unreliable.

[quote name='BlueSwim']The WWE isn't going to be paying for the "Superstars'" health insurance anymore. They'll have to get their own. Those cheap bastards. Apparently, UFC, on the other hand, is paying for health insurance for its fighters now.[/QUOTE]

It's not exactly health insurance, but UFC fighters have coverage that works for anything outside of a medical condition. So if someone gets in a car accident, then they'll be covered, but if they get covered, they don't have to be covered under the policy, but of course UFC could help out if they wanted to.

Some 'news'
- Rey Mysterio is said to be thrilled about his new feud with R-Truth on RAW. Rey specifically requested a feud with Truth when he was drafted to Monday nights and was told he would get it once Truth’s feud with John Morrison was over. Since Morrison got injured, the Truth-Rey feud was done earlier than planned.

- For what it’s worth, a source close to CM Punk says WWE made him a new contract offer last week and he’s expected to stick around.

- WWE officials have discussed bringing former NXT Rookie Percy Watson up to the RAW roster for a feud with R-Truth this summer. Percy has been working WWE live event matches for months now and officials have taken note of his improvements.

I'm just worried about this whole shitting on the X Division storyline because they more than likely will never get a meaningful win out of it.

Just turned on TNA for the first time in years. Gotta sit through goddamn commercials.

What's in that guy's blood?

The fuck is going on? Psycho lesbians?

did Angelina Love always looks that yuck?

Shapes and colors? What's going on here!?
[quote name='diddy310']I'm just worried about this whole shitting on the X Division storyline because they more than likely will never get a meaningful win out of it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. The spoilers have made the matches sound retarded, but they were actually entertaining. It all depends on the storyline payoff, though.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']

did Angelina Love always looks that yuck?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the transition from whore to zombie terminator slave whore was as simple as smearing some mascara under her eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back