The Music Genome Project - Pandora

Yes and no.

Good idea? Yes.

Execution? No.

First its a pay service which kinda sucks plus their limited licences dont allow you to skip but a few songs per hour. Also, every forth to sixth song is of the band you named your favorite so its not even new to you.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Yes and no.

Good idea? Yes.

Execution? No.

First its a pay service which kinda sucks plus their limited licences don't allow you to skip but a few songs per hour. Also, every forth to sixth song is of the band you named your favorite so its not even new to you.[/QUOTE]

It's a pay service, yes, but it's only 36 bucks a year! How much do people pay for satellite radio service? This site takes a song, divides it down into scientific elements and searches for songs that have similar elements that you might be interested in. It also has the ability to customise itself to your specific tastes with your input. Yeah, yahoo music does it for free. But after spending a couple hundred hours with each program, www.pandora.com wins by a long shot. You hear quite a bit more diversity in your listening choices. I have at least 10 new favorite bands I hadn't heard of before i started using them. They aren't limited to the "top 40" rut that yahoo falls into quite often.

As for "limited licences"

what radio channels do you know that let you listen commercial free without even taking breaks for station identification? Or skip songs? you can skip like 11 songs an hour, but if you want to skip more just delete the radio channel you made and make it again. Presto! 11 more skips.

I love this site and 36 bucks a year is chicken scratch compared to the enjoyment it gives :) I love putting in a favorite song or band and spending an hour listening to music that fits right into my mood. If you don't want to hear lots of songs by the band you entered, just click "i don't like this song" and it doesn't come back.

Think of it as a perfect radio channel tailored to your specific tastes and not a source of free MP3's on demand. :D

EDIT: They just changed their website today. You used to be able to listen for 10 hours free then you would have to pay. Now you can listen as much as you want for free but there is a nag screen that pops up every 5 songs or so. Not too bad if you dont mind clicking on the no thanks button. If you cough up the 36 bucks you can make 100 channels instead of 10 and listen as much as you want hassle free.

bump due to awesomeness, even if my wolf parade takes me to a police cover, it's cool just hearing a lot of songs (this is how you do it music industry, give me free previews and I will start buying what I really like).

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm split on if its good or not. It works when it recommends stuff for Prodigy but doesnt when I try to find music like Rage Against the Machine's or Motograter's.

By the way this was posted last night. Its still on the front page as a matter of fact ...
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75129[/QUOTE]

His was actually technically first. I just couldn't find it when I did a search...oh well...

How many of you guys have used this site before? I just checked it out this morning and my girlfriend and I love it! Does anyone have any stations that they've set up that they'd like to share?

[quote name='hopesfall']How many of you guys have used this site before? I just checked it out this morning and my girlfriend and I love it! Does anyone have any stations that they've set up that they'd like to share?[/QUOTE]

Whoa! Neat site! Thanks for posting about this, I never heard of it before.

yeah I think I read about it in a magazine this week and I finally got around to checking it out. The only bad part is that they limit the amount of songs that you can skip per hour, so if you hit a string of crap music, you are just out of luck =(.

[quote name='hopesfall']How many of you guys have used this site before? I just checked it out this morning and my girlfriend and I love it! Does anyone have any stations that they've set up that they'd like to share?[/QUOTE]

What kind of music do you like? I typed in Jamiroquai to start off with. Good stuff.

*edit* The music is in sync with my signature image! :rofl:

I started off with LCD Soundsystem and then tried out Bloc Party. Bloc Party ended up giving me the "better" station, but I like how you can add other artists into the mix. It really is like starting a playlist according to your own personal tastes. How cool.

[quote name='hopesfall']yeah I think I read about it in a magazine this week and I finally got around to checking it out. The only bad part is that they limit the amount of songs that you can skip per hour, so if you hit a string of crap music, you are just out of luck =(.[/QUOTE]
Hit refresh and start over?

THe thing I don't like is that I can't hear a song over again. I can only skip forward.

Also, I can't get the favorites thing to work.

Love my station a mix of hip hop with some rap and hard rock, and punk rock the best of all worlds. Anyone want to here it I'll e-mail it to you.

Is the first song it plays supposed to be by the artist you choose? It was for me, along a third of them. No big deal, this service is pretty cool.

I've been using it for a month or so. Sometimes it's dead on, sometimes you get some crappy electronica band mixed in with a Frank Zappa set. Overall an interesting internet radio kind of thing, and a good way to expand your horizons.

It's recognized everything I've entered other than
Penguin Cafe Orchestra- (Jazz/electronica)
Oysterhead- (Les Claypool/one of the guys from Phish, and the drummer from some punk band)

And I've only disliked a little of what it's spat out.

I wish there was a car version!

Bumping an old topic. I recently discovered Pandora and totally love it. Maybe it used to be a pay service, but it's completely free now. The whole point of it is to discover new artists and songs that are similar to stuff you like. I was skeptical at first, but I actually found myself hearing a song the other day and thinking, wow, who is this? Ended up buying the CD on Amazon.

Hint: When you create your radio stations, don't try to overtrain each one. It's tempting to do that, since it's so easy to give a thumbs up or down with each song that scrolls through. I recommend tagging one or two artists or songs to each station and then just letting the system take it from there.

[quote name='smalien1']It's recognized everything I've entered other than
Penguin Cafe Orchestra- (Jazz/electronica)
Oysterhead- (Les Claypool/one of the guys from Phish, and the drummer from some punk band)

And I've only disliked a little of what it's spat out.

I wish there was a car version![/QUOTE]

The drummer is from the Police, not some punk band. :)

bread's done
Back