The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

[quote name='DestroVega']I disagree the blackout helped them though. A) they just had a halftime where they came out and gave up a kickoff return so that delay didn't help. And B) they've roared back in the second half in every playoff game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the Ravens offense was rolling and the 49ers defense was on the ropes before that. Because of the blackout, those squads didn't see the field for 84 minutes. That is an incredible amount of time to be out of the game. That's like saying in a fight, if you've got somebody completely rocked and out on their feet, that letting them rest for over an hour wouldn't have any effect on things. Obviously, there's no way to prove it, but it's hard not to look at that as a very welcomed "reset button" for the 49ers defense. It was definitely more favorable for the 49ers than it was for the Ravens.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, but the Ravens offense was rolling and the 49ers defense was on the ropes before that. Because of the blackout, those squads didn't see the field for 84 minutes. That is an incredible amount of time to be out of the game. That's like saying in a fight, if you've got somebody completely rocked and out on their feet, that letting them rest for over an hour wouldn't have any effect on things. Obviously, there's no way to prove it, but it's hard not to look at that as a very welcomed "reset button" for the 49ers defense. It was definitely more favorable for the 49ers than it was for the Ravens.[/QUOTE]

You're seriously blaming the blackout for the poor 2nd half performance from the ravens? You do realize both of the teams got some rest right? :roll: the niners have been making 2nd half comebacks throughout the post season

[quote name='Gannikus']You're seriously blaming the blackout for the poor 2nd half performance from the ravens? You do realize both of the teams got some rest right? :roll: the niners have been making 2nd half comebacks throughout the post season[/QUOTE]

Do you have no concept of momentum? I'm not BLAMING the blackout for anything. I'm saying that it put a red hot Ravens offense on ice for almost 90 minutes and gave a backpedaling 49ers defense time to regroup and re-energize. Draw your own conclusions.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Do you have no concept of momentum? I'm not BLAMING the blackout for anything. I'm saying that it put a red hot Ravens offense on ice for almost 90 minutes and gave a backpedaling 49ers defense time to regroup and re-energize. Draw your own conclusions.[/QUOTE]

The niners had the ball when the blackout occurred. I'm tired of the BS about denver or whoever had momentum, anything can happen and this years post season proved it. Probably one of the best post seasons in along time :applause:

[quote name='Gannikus']The niners had the ball when the blackout occurred. I'm tired of the BS about denver or whoever had momentum, anything can happen and this years post season proved it. Probably one of the best post seasons in along time :applause:[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. If you don't believe in momentum, then we are at an impasse, lol.

[quote name='Gannikus']The niners had the ball when the blackout occurred. I'm tired of the BS about denver or whoever had momentum, anything can happen and this years post season proved it. Probably one of the best post seasons in along time :applause:[/QUOTE]

This. Seriously whats the Falcons excuse for having all the momentum in the world going into halftime in both games they played, yet ended up in a dogfight. Also after the blackout it was still 3rd and 13 and guess what niners did jack shit with the possession and punted. So what is the Ravens excuse for all of sudden having the ball and forgetting how to attack the secondary that they've been doing all game long.

Sitting around doing nothing for 90 minutes did affect both the Ravens offense and the 49ers defense. The Ravens did not look in rhythm after the blackout and it showed. An article I read had a nice comparison: It is like a heavyweight fight where Boxer A is pummeling Boxer B when the fight is put on hold for an hour. Obviously, Boxer B is going to recover and be able to mount a comeback.

As for Atlanta, that was due more to their extremely vanilla offensive game plan.

[quote name='renique46']This. Seriously whats the Falcons excuse for having all the momentum in the world going into halftime in both games they played, yet ended up in a dogfight. Also after the blackout it was still 3rd and 13 and guess what niners did jack shit with the possession and punted. So what is the Ravens excuse for all of sudden having the ball and forgetting how to attack the secondary that they've been doing all game long.[/QUOTE]

LMAO...wow. You are so incredibly stupid that you don't even realize that your last few sentences actually supports my point about the 90 minute break cooling them off. You are truly exceptional, renique. I think we've found the missing link, folks. :applause:

[quote name='DNukem170']Sitting around doing nothing for 90 minutes did affect both the Ravens offense and the 49ers defense. The Ravens did not look in rhythm after the blackout and it showed. An article I read had a nice comparison: It is like a heavyweight fight where Boxer A is pummeling Boxer B when the fight is put on hold for an hour. Obviously, Boxer B is going to recover and be able to mount a comeback.[/QUOTE]

Wow, was that really in an article? I said the same thing on the last page. That's funny.

I'm a niner fan and it's getting pretty annoying with the whining from BOTH sides. S*** happens and no one will ever know if those officials had money on this game or if they just felt like it was the right call...WHO CARES. What's done is done and I don't get why Ravens fans also have to be whining about "oh they turned of the lights WAHHHH" You guys WON and just swallow your d*** pride, you're not the only team to school us in the the first half and then come back in the 2nd half. Just be classy and be proud of your team and stop b******* about everything.

Over here in the bay, there's the trash talking Raider fans who came out of nowhere who have nothing better to do and STILL being their usual classless idiot selves

*excuse my grammar, 3.5 hours of sleep =p

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GBAstar']Awesome

I might have to be a closet Gronk fan now because it is pretty clear that he is a closet gay (not that there is anything wrong with that)[/QUOTE]

It's a good thing he isn't one of those colored persons, otherwise you would have had to start your post with "I'm not a racist, but..."

"a closet gay" for fuck's suck, this is 2013. What the hell does someone's sexual orientation have to do with whether you're an "open" or "closet" fan of someone?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It's a good thing he isn't one of those colored persons, otherwise you would have had to start your post with "I'm not a racist, but..."

"a closet gay" for fuck's suck, this is 2013. What the hell does someone's sexual orientation have to do with whether you're an "open" or "closet" fan of someone?[/QUOTE]

Well let's race bait in the NFL thread.... bravo.

I was trying to bring some humor in here amongst all the "blackout" "momentum" and "Ray Lewis" banter.

Thank you for ending it one post later.

[quote name='renique46']Ahh typical keyboard warrior talk that wouldn't dare be said in person, always amusing:applause:

in other news, you knew it was coming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezwKTa_Baew[/QUOTE]
There was some guy at the bar I was watching the game at who made a joke like that. To be fair though, if some smartass sound guy would've played the opening to his theme during that the stadium would've went nuts. Assuming that was one of the sections that still had power for some reason. I would've laughed.

[quote name='GBAstar']Well let's race bait in the NFL thread.... bravo.

I was trying to bring some humor in here amongst all the "blackout" "momentum" and "Ray Lewis" banter.

Thank you for ending it one post later.[/QUOTE]

BS, you can claim it was to resolve banter all you want but when that is at the expense of bigotry toward homosexuals it becomes offensive. That's like bombing a building on fire and going "well at least the building's not on fire anymore.”

[quote name='RedvsBlue']BS, you can claim it was to resolve banter all you want but when that is at the expense of bigotry toward homosexuals it becomes offensive. That's like bombing a building on fire and going "well at least the building's not on fire anymore.”[/QUOTE]

But he put "Not that there's anything wrong with that"! As long as you put that, you can say anything about homosexuality, right?!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The audio of Flacco telling his teammates on the sidelines to tackle Ginn if he broke loose on the punt return is pretty amusing...[/QUOTE]

Interesting video of Joe Flacco telling his team mates to tackle Ginn (from the sidelines) if he was to break out. I actually wish that happened, it would stop people from talking about the "Blackout-gate" and all the whining. :drool:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-tackle-ted-ginn-sideline-165726030--nfl.html

What is more amusing is all the butthurt people going off about it. Flacco's a cheater! Flacco has no class! I'm sure Flacco is the first person ever to say something like that in a moment of stupidity. He/they didn't do it so what's it matter what he said?

[quote name='JP']What is more amusing is all the butthurt people going off about it. Flacco's a cheater! Flacco has no class! I'm sure Flacco is the first person ever to say something like that in a moment of stupidity. He/they didn't do it so what's it matter what he said?[/QUOTE]

an "elite" QB knows the rules

[quote name='usickenme']an "elite" QB knows the rules[/QUOTE]
I'm not certain how much of it was serious talk or him just venting frustration that the game comes down to that final play and just saying something stupid. I'm not saying he was joking, but more questioning his intent on actually doing something. I also don't believe he is elite, either way he still should've known the rules. He's above average, and if he can tone down the inconsistency in the regular season and make at least one more Super Bowl appearance/win, I might be willing to give the elite title. I don't believe he is worth a $100 million contract either. I'm a huge Baltimore Ravens fan, but the guy hasn't earned that big of a contract or the elite title yet in my mind. Best quarterback the Ravens have ever had, hands down. That also doesn't say much.

[quote name='JP']I'm not certain how much of it was serious talk or him just venting frustration that the game comes down to that final play and just saying something stupid. I'm not saying he was joking, but more questioning his intent on actually doing something. I also don't believe he is elite, either way he still should've known the rules. He's above average, and if he can tone down the inconsistency in the regular season and make at least one more Super Bowl appearance/win, I might be willing to give the elite title. I don't believe he is worth a $100 million contract either. I'm a huge Baltimore Ravens fan, but the guy hasn't earned that big of a contract or the elite title yet in my mind. Best quarterback the Ravens have ever had, hands down. That also doesn't say much.[/QUOTE]

eh, I was just riffing on the "what it take to be elite" lame discussion I've been hearing on sport talk radio about Flacco. But I pretty much agree with your assessment. I know his agent was just being an agent but saying he is the best in the NFL is crazy talk.

I'm already sick of the "elite" and contract talk about Flacco. I'd have a lot of respect for Flacco if he takes less than the $100 million his agent seems to be angling for and works out a decent deal so they can keep Ed Reed and a few other guys around, ones Baltimore might not be able to afford if Flacco tries to bend the team over the table.

[quote name='JP']I'm already sick of the "elite" and contract talk about Flacco. I'd have a lot of respect for Flacco if he takes less than the $100 million his agent seems to be angling for and works out a decent deal so they can keep Ed Reed and a few other guys around, ones Baltimore might not be able to afford if Flacco tries to bend the team over the table.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. If they offer him over 100 million, he would be ignorant not to accept it. Money talks, and the higher, the better. But who knows, though, maybe he will.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. If they offer him over 100 million, he would be ignorant not to accept it. Money talks, and the higher, the better. But who knows, though, maybe he will.[/QUOTE]
I doubt that Baltimore starts at the 100 million mark. I figure they'll start at $85 million. Even if they could keep him at $90 million that might be just enough room to hold onto some key players.

Seriously his WR's have been bailing him out a LOT this season with those floaty passes. They made him look a lot better than he was. And if he can get that money
then Matt Ryan shouldn't be too far behind those numbers.

It's like way back when Daunte Culpepper had what Randy Moss, Jake Reed and Chris Carter ALL on the same team I believe. That really helped Randall Cunningham's comeback too. At least that's what I do remember from the late 90's/early 2000's. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

To the surprise of, well, almost everyone, the Ravens signed Flacco before free agency. Flacco is getting over $120 million over 6 years. As a Ravens and a Flacco fan, I have to say that is freaking nuts.

[quote name='DNukem170']To the surprise of, well, almost everyone, the Ravens signed Flacco before free agency. Flacco is getting over $120 million over 6 years. As a Ravens and a Flacco fan, I have to say that is freaking nuts.[/QUOTE]

Joe Flacco is the highest paid player in NFL history? Every player in the league just called their agent.

You have to wonder how high these contracts will go before it starts impeding building the rest if the team. Hopefully before the NFL becomes the NBA.

I can't believe the Chiefs gave up two picks for Alex Smith. I think he's decent but I was thinking they'd have to give up a 3rd round pick max.

Hell of a deal for the 49ers though. They have Kapernick and they got two picks for a guy they were probably going to cut anyways.

[quote name='Chitown021']I can't believe the Chiefs gave up two picks for Alex Smith. I think he's decent but I was thinking they'd have to give up a 3rd round pick max.

Hell of a deal for the 49ers though. They have Kapernick and they got two picks for a guy they were probably going to cut anyways.[/QUOTE]
Niners weren't going to cut him. Alex has been playing some good football lately and the Chiefs offer reflects that. It also helps to have what seems to be a weak rookie QB class and free agents.

I wonder what the Niners are going to do with all the picks they have. I think I read that only two of last years rookies played a down last season. I'm hoping they turn the Chiefs second round pick into a first rounder for 2014 draft. Also no Revis.

Not surprised Flacco got paid. Now I'm curious to see if Flacco's new contract affects retaining their WRs. If the Ravens have to part ways with Boldin or Jacoby Jones next season, the real test of Flacco's contract justification begins.

[quote name='ced']Not surprised Flacco got paid. Now I'm curious to see if Flacco's new contract affects retaining their WRs. If the Ravens have to part ways with Boldin or Jacoby Jones next season, the real test of Flacco's contract justification begins.[/QUOTE]

Well, apparently the deal allows the Ravens to tender their RFAs and will allow them to sign Ellerbe. More than likely they will try to restructure/extend Boldin so that his cap hit isn't as bad.

[quote name='bvharris']Joe Flacco is the highest paid player in NFL history? Every player in the league just called their agent.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

[quote name='DT778']
I wonder what the Niners are going to do with all the picks they have. I think I read that only two of last years rookies played a down last season. I'm hoping they turn the Chiefs second round pick into a first rounder for 2014 draft. Also no Revis.[/QUOTE]

Yeah only LaMichael James played a good chunk and that's only because of the injury to Hunter. The only other rookie to play was AJ Jenkins, if you want to call it that.

My guess is they package those two 30something picks into a mid-teen pick and take another impactfull DL player or CB.

The only trade I would make if I'm the 49ers is for Percy Harvin. I don't touch Revis, and I don't know how they could even pay him if they acquired him. They are going to have to make some tough decisions in the next two years on who they keep and who they can't afford as it is without Revis devouring a chunk of payroll.

[quote name='DT778']How much guaranteed is the real number we want to know, not this fake 120+ he will never get.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully not that much. I'm a Flacco fan and he deserves to get paid. But he's not deserving of the richest contract ever for a QB.

bread's done
Back