The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

[quote name='DNukem170']I am a Ravens fan, but no way right now. The only active QBs that are HoFs right now are Brady, Peyton, and Brees. Big Ben and Eli need a few more stat-padding seasons.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Rodgers. He's not in right now just based on raw numbers, but unless he falls off a cliff he's a shoe-in.

[quote name='antlp89']A blowout game turned into a great game.

Although it was probably a hold at the end, I think the refs were letting them play on both sides of the field. You can't just look at that one play at the end because the niners were getting no-calls as well. Also the blackout...wtf? What a momentum changer!

Was rooting for the niners but the ravens looked like they were more hungry to win the superbowl this year.

Denver, New England, and now the 49ers. They were counted out in all 3 games against arguably the best teams in the league and found a way to win each game.[/QUOTE]

As much as i hated Denver and hated the Peyton dick sucking that was an anomaly that should have never happened. Still glad Denver lost though but not gonna ignore John Foxs Idiocy

Wtf Flacco over Jacoby for mvp? Hell half of his WRS made good catches and made something out of nothing from some really garbage throws

[quote name='bvharris']You forgot Rodgers. He's not in right now just based on raw numbers, but unless he falls off a cliff he's a shoe-in.[/QUOTE]Oh yea. He is in the same category as Eli and Ben.

I'm a little more conservative in my estimates about HoFers I guess because I would only put Brady and (Peyton) Manning in the "shoe-in" category at this point. The rest that everyone's mentioned certainly have the potential but they're definitely not there yet.

[quote name='renique46']Wtf Flacco over Jacoby for mvp? Hell half of his WRS made good catches and made something out of nothing from some really garbage throws[/QUOTE]

Would have gone with Anquan Boldin myself. 6 catches for 100+ yards and that clutch catch was 100% him being a stud.

Disappointed SF couldn't complete the comeback, but I am finally optimistic that they've returned to being legitimate championship contenders after a few years of nothing special. Kapernick is still green and it showed tonight, but Harbaugh was a miracle worker with Alex Smith, who showed massive improvement (right up to the injury) once Harbaugh took the helm. No doubt that he can do the same for Kap.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Belichick might be one of the best coaches to ever coach in the NFL but he really is just kind of a jerk. Plenty of coaches will do the duty and get interviewed after a big loss but nope, not Belichick. We already saw Mike Smith go out and give the interview after his loss, but apparently Belichick can't be bothered.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='renique46']Yup like Shannon said your not gonna win every fucking year so act like you have some class ffs[/QUOTE]

Jim Harbaugh bailed on his postgame interview. Your move.

Then he should own up to it, but nice and at the same time pathetic of you to have those quotes on speed dial just in case Jim did the same even though this is like Jims first time compared to what Belichic's 29 times?

[quote name='ced']Would have gone with Anquan Boldin myself. 6 catches for 100+ yards and that clutch catch was 100% him being a stud.

Disappointed SF couldn't complete the comeback, but I am finally optimistic that they've returned to being legitimate championship contenders after a few years of nothing special. Kapernick is still green and it showed tonight, but Harbaugh was a miracle worker with Alex Smith, who showed massive improvement (right up to the injury) once Harbaugh took the helm. No doubt that he can do the same for Kap.[/QUOTE]

Jacoby Jones had 2 touchdowns, the first touchdown and that 108 yard kickoff return. Pretty impressive performance. I can't disagree with Flacco for MVP though, since he orchestrated those drives when the Ravens needed them the most.

If you had to give the MVP award to anything, it would've been given to the Power Outage, since that made it a game.

[quote name='renique46']Then he should own up to it, but nice and at the same time pathetic of you to have those quotes on speed dial just in case Jim did the same even though this is like Jims first time compared to what Belichic's 29 times?[/QUOTE]
I just wanted to see if your self righteousness paled at all in the face of Ray Lewis's. Looks like it hasn't.

why do you guys even bother with renique's posts? Just put him on ignore already. Has he ever contributed anything to a sports thread, ever?

That turned out to be a hell of a game and I thought it was going to be a laugher after the ko return. Flacco for MVP was the safe call. I'd like to have seen Boldin win it. He's been so big in clutch situations.

[quote name='Poor2More']Hey guys with Ravens winning, guess what we get for the next 9 months like we did with Eli when he won a ring,

We get "is Joe Flacco Elite" until next season, hell no he ain't.[/QUOTE]

He is getting paid like he is though. That is for sure.

[quote name='DNukem170']Jim bailed on the Championship Game interview too.

Also, has anyone ever heard of Redd's Apple Ale before tonight?[/QUOTE]

Nope, but I really want to try it now. I bet they see a huge upswing in sales, at least for a short while.

[quote name='confoosious']why do you guys even bother with renique's posts? Just put him on ignore already. Has he ever contributed anything to a sports thread, ever?

That turned out to be a hell of a game and I thought it was going to be a laugher after the ko return. Flacco for MVP was the safe call. I'd like to have seen Boldin win it. He's been so big in clutch situations.[/QUOTE]

No shit. He cries about the refs in the NFL thread, he cries about the refs in the NBA thread, and he cries about the umpires in the MLB thread. He's obviously lacking in sports knowledge, among a lot of other things. Whatever team loses, he puts LOL in front of their name, like it's the most clever thing in the universe. I honestly hope no one takes him seriously.

Says the guy with the classy Ray Lewis is off stabbing people in power outage jokes, if that was true its just too bad it wasnt you as much as your keep bringing it up.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Nope, but I really want to try it now. I bet they see a huge upswing in sales, at least for a short while.[/QUOTE]

I actually saw it at the grocery store for the first time tonight and passed on it :lol:

Funny to see the commercial for it.

Great game tonight. Glad they didn't focus so much on Ray Ray afterwards. He played a horrid game tonight. He has definitely lost a stab.

Edit: Wow! Best autocorrect ever! :lol: I slam want step and my iPhone switched it to stab!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']No shit. He cries about the refs in the NFL thread, he cries about the refs in the NBA thread, and he cries about the umpires in the MLB thread. He's obviously lacking in sports knowledge, among a lot of other things. Whatever team loses, he puts LOL in front of their name, like it's the most clever thing in the universe. I honestly hope no one takes him seriously.[/QUOTE]

He also thinks calling teams by their "funny" nickname is super clever too. The SF Whiners! Get it? Get it?

I still have no idea what team he roots for or if just roots against everyone. I finally had to put him on ignore but people keep responding to him like it's worth their time.

Turned out to be a pretty good game, that power outage was a pain in the ass though. I'm fine with the no-call on the 49ers 4th down play. The problem with situations like this is that if they had called the hold and the 49ers ended up winning, that would be one of the most defining plays of the game anyway, the only diference being that it would be Ravens fans bitching that the refs "bailed them out". It's a lose-lose either way, so I'm glad the refs kept the flags in their pockets.

Commercials were OK, nothing great. I really liked the Montana stain commercial and the Leon Sandcastle one. I'm probably in the minority on this, but the GoDaddy Bar Rafieli commercial was my absolute favorite.

Flacco as MVP was a cop out, just like it almost always in when they give the QB the MVP award. Personally I'd have given it to Jones before Flacco, and would have even considered Boldin before Flacco as well.

The halftime show was really bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost gave up at the game at Halftime. Let the kids watch a show after Beyonce's performance (featuring Kelly Roland, and that other girl). Came back to the blackout and an exciting game.

Flacco did a good job for a guy I had zero opinion of before. He's definately not in the Manning/Brady tier but he's up there. Kapernick did seem really nervous and shaky at first but came around somewhat after the blackout. 49ers had several missed chances especially during those last few downs when they were within scoring range.

Giving the 49ers the safety was a clever move too.

the officiating being uneven was what bothered me. if they called the niners on PI then they should have called the ravens on the PI because it looked like the same amount of contact to me. the last one wasn't the worst because there were more blatent non calls on the Ravens that should have gotten some PI's. ugh this is frustrating. weird. i can't quite put it into words but i'm more mad after this game but last year i was more sad.

I can't say much about the call, as a 49er fan I'm disappointed and if the call would have gone the other way it may have been a game changer. I will still give it to the Ravens, they had an awesome first half and the 49ers let too many plays go, especially a 108 yard return. >_< There is always next year, go niners!

I think it was a good non-call. Referees are taught not to call offsetting penalties on players in direct conflict with one another, which was what happened. The Ravens guy was holding his jersey while Crabtree pushed off. Not to mention that the ball was completely overthrown and wouldn't have even been catchable under perfect conditions.

lol Terrell Suggs sounding stupid as hell in the press conference saying that nobody had them beating Denver, Texans, Patriots.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Turned out to be a pretty good game, that power outage was a pain in the ass though. I'm fine with the no-call on the 49ers 4th down play. The problem with situations like this is that if they had called the hold and the 49ers ended up winning, that would be one of the most defining plays of the game anyway, the only diference being that it would be Ravens fans bitching that the refs "bailed them out". It's a lose-lose either way, so I'm glad the refs kept the flags in their pockets.

Commercials were OK, nothing great. I really liked the Montana stain commercial and the Leon Sandcastle one. I'm probably in the minority on this, but the GoDaddy Bar Rafieli commercial was my absolute favorite.

Flacco as MVP was a cop out, just like it almost always in when they give the QB the MVP award. Personally I'd have given it to Jones before Flacco, and would have even considered Boldin before Flacco as well.

The halftime show was really bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think a no call was the right move as well, enough other contact plays hadnt been called that it was clear the refs were keeping the flags in their pockets and I'm okay with that. Crabtree was definitely pushing off on the Ravens corner anyway. I agree Jones would have been my vote for MVP, that return was huge and actually ended up being the difference in the game.

I thought the commercials were pretty bad this year, hardly any of them made me laugh. The Doritos goat was funny I guess?

[quote name='KingBroly']I think it was a good non-call. Referees are taught not to call offsetting penalties on players in direct conflict with one another, which was what happened. The Ravens guy was holding his jersey while Crabtree pushed off. Not to mention that the ball was completely overthrown and wouldn't have even been catchable under perfect conditions.[/QUOTE]

And not to mention that the Ravens brought the house on the play and at least 2 49ers O-line should've been called for holding. Saying that, at that point you just gotta let them play.

As a Niner's fan, that was clearly a hold but it is what it is. If it went the other way it's just as bad as far as impact in the game. Especially considering how haphazard that play was? I'm not surprised to not see the flag even though it's a definite by the rule hold.

The 49ers defense hasn't been good since Justin Smith got hurt, I put this game at the feet of the D, they just weren't any good until it was too late, and even then they didn't make all the plays they needed to.

If I were the NFC though I'd be pretty nervous about next year, I only see them getting hungrier and after the compensation picks are given they have something like 14 draft picks lol

[quote name='pitfallharry219']You don't think Brees is already in?[/QUOTE]

Nah, not yet. Brady and Manning have both been performing at the top for about a decade now. Brees has about 4-5 years of being at the top so I'd say he's close but not yet on their level. Same thing goes for Rodgers, but even less time at the top for him.

The toughest obstacle that the HOF has moving forward is figuring out how to weed out potential HOF quarterbacks.

Based on stats a dozen or so NFL quarterbacks that played or are currently playing the past few years are going to have a case to be elected and that number is only going to grow now that the NFL is a pass happy league and defenses have their hands tied with the "hands off the quarterback" rules and the "protect the receiver" rules.

^So much this. I'm not so concerned about the HoF, but passing stats are really being inflated thanks to all the new rules. I don't necessarily agree with Bernard Pollard that the NFL will be gone in 30 years, but you'd have to be blind if you aren't seeing that the game is already changing.

it's only a good non-call if you think suddenly the rules should be thrown out in the last 2 minutes. Why not allow everything then?

[quote name='usickenme']it's only a good non-call if you think suddenly the rules should be thrown out in the last 2 minutes. Why not allow everything then?[/QUOTE]

I agree.

You need to call it consistently all game. If it was PI in the first quarter it needs to be PI with a minute left.

At least you know ahead of time in the NHL that they are going to let them play in the playoffs (i.e. no penalties unless it is disgustingly blatant) but in the NFL it is like they take time and score into account before throwing the flag.

With that said SF didn't play a complete game and while I wanted them to win and I don't think it's fair to say they didn't deserve to win, however its not fair to say that they lost because of a no call.

They never call offsetting penalties in that kind of situation. It was a good non-call. Not to mention that pass was uncatchable. If Crabtree was unimpeded he would've caught it at best 2 yards outside the end zone.

Yeah, that was a good no call. He was being held, but also shoving off and hand fighting a lot himself.

Very crappy play calling by the 49ers at the end there though. Throwing 3 out of 4 downs on 1st and goal? Should have tried to run it in, and even hope they got stopped a couple of times to not leave to much time on the clock for the Ravens if they scored. Hard to throw it in from the 7 or whatever as there's not much room/time for receivers to get open.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']They never call offsetting penalties in that kind of situation. It was a good non-call. Not to mention that pass was uncatchable. If Crabtree was unimpeded he would've caught it at best 2 yards outside the end zone.[/QUOTE]

The call would have been defensive holding, not pass interference. He could have thrown the ball into the upper deck and it wouldn't have mattered.

[quote name='KingBroly']They never call offsetting penalties in that kind of situation. It was a good non-call. Not to mention that pass was uncatchable. If Crabtree was unimpeded he would've caught it at best 2 yards outside the end zone.[/QUOTE]

Yes but it's arguable Crabs would have attempted a ”toe tap” catch had he had a chance to get to the sideline in time. He was impeded 2 yards into the endzone when the goal line itself was 5 yards away so he never got that shot.

The refs didnt throw out Williams when the Ravens DB even pushed a referee when he got up from the early scrum and Torry Smith pulled the Niners DB down when he was in position to make an intereception on a Joe Flacco attempted pass. Those cheesed me more since it was more blatent that the refs opted to swallow the whistle. I read somewhere that the SB officiating crew had never worked together during the year. Great idea. Again, I'm upset about the uneven officiating. It wasn't THE reason they lost. The Niners made their fair share of mistakes to lose but to say officiating was balanced is a crock. In the end it adds up and contributes to the total result of a Niner loss.

Doesn't matter if it's uncatchable. That penalty is a hold not a PI so catchable or not means nothing.

[quote name='DestroVega']Doesn't matter if it's uncatchable. That penalty is a hold not a PI so catchable or not means nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does matter. If a ball is ruled uncatchable, penalties are waved off.

[quote name='DestroVega']Doesn't matter if it's uncatchable. That penalty is a hold not a PI so catchable or not means nothing.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that the refs saw it as more of a PI situation instead of holding and since the ball wasn't really catchable, they decided to not call it. However, many of the people blaming the niners loss on that play alone are being ridiculous. Mismanagement of timeouts, poor play-calling and a poor first half contributed to that niners loss.

Plenty of mistakes but who wants to take the time to point all of them out. Oh noes, Vernon should have caught that ball in the third, Kaep should have thrown it earlier in that one play in the first quarter, Aldon should have finished that tackle on Ray Rice in the backfield. We all know games are won and lost as a result of the whole game but don't be surprised that the deciding play at the end of the game is getting most of the attention.

[quote name='DT778']fuck outta here with all this good no call shit. It was holding and everyone knows it.[/QUOTE]

no kidding and this lame, "it was uncatchable" nonsense...we will never know. I've seen some amazing endzone catches.

it's only a good non-call if you wanted to see SF lose...period. Otherwise not calling obvious penalties makes the games seem fixed.

and I 100% think, SF screwed themselves with bad play calling.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yes it does matter. If a ball is ruled uncatchable, penalties are waved off.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Defensive holding doesn't require that the ball be catchable, or even thrown toward the player being held. It can happen on the other side of the field.

Just like offensive holding is still a penalty even if its far away from the play and had no impact on the play.

Arguing about blown/missed calls in sports is stupid. It's always gonna happen, and sometimes it's gonna go in favor of the team your rooting for, and sometimes it won't. But focusing in on one call/no call is terribly short sited. If you want to scrutinize every play and every call in football, there's going to be a billion "what-if" scenarios. For example:

You could easily make the argument that the 49ers got away with a hold on 4th down at the end of the game against the Falcons 3 weeks ago. If the refs had made that call, seems very possible that the 49ers wouldn't have even made it so the Super Bowl.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, that was a good no call. He was being held, but also shoving off and hand fighting a lot himself.

Very crappy play calling by the 49ers at the end there though. Throwing 3 out of 4 downs on 1st and goal? Should have tried to run it in, and even hope they got stopped a couple of times to not leave to much time on the clock for the Ravens if they scored. Hard to throw it in from the 7 or whatever as there's not much room/time for receivers to get open.[/QUOTE]

When the 49ers let the play clock wind down and had to call a timeout on 3rd down, it looks like they had a QB draw going, which probably would have been the perfect play in that situation.

For those whining about the non call at the end of the game, does anybody remember the non call at the end of the first quarter on 2nd and 13 when Flacco aired the ball out down the right side of the field (I believe it was to Torrey Smith), and he was held be Chris Culliver. Phil Simms even commented that had he not been held, Smith would have caught the ball in stride and scored.

So, like others said, there were calls and non calls for both sides. And even on that last play, there was contact coming from both participants. How do you rule who is "more at fault"? If it's offsetting, it's just going to reset the play anyway...and then the same thing is going to happen when you replay the down. I will say that the Ravens were fortunate to get out of there with a win after the way the team let Flacco down in the 2nd half (fumbles, dropped balls, o-line disappearing, missed tackles), but anybody that thinks the 49ers were cheated out of a win is nuts. They shot themselves in the foot NUMEROUS times (first play of the game, illegal formation wipes out a 20 yard gain, ultimately forcing a 3 and out...defensive holes...timeout management...etc)

Honestly, had it not been for the blackout, I don't know if they even come back in that game. It's a really weird thing to have to consider, but that 40 minute break gave them a chance to calm their emotions and start fresh again. If they came all the way back to win, I almost feel like the game would have been tainted because of it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yes it does matter. If a ball is ruled uncatchable, penalties are waved off.[/QUOTE]

That's not true. Defensive holding doesn't matter if the ball is a mile up in the air. Pass Interference is different, ball has to be catchable.

I'm a 49ers fan but I don't think they were screwed at all, as n8 said and I agree, they made way too many self-inflicted mistakes.

Was it a penalty? Yes. Can you go crazy about it? No. They had three other chances and called terrible plays and wasted a timeout. Just awful.

I disagree the blackout helped them though. A) they just had a halftime where they came out and gave up a kickoff return so that delay didn't help. And B) they've roared back in the second half in every playoff game.

People can't whine in the end, they blew it. Just cause the refs blew a tight call doesn't excuse it. Ravens played better yesterday.

bread's done
Back