The "Night of Champions" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched it. Nothing spectacular but it was pretty good.
I thought Punk/Lesnar was a pretty amazing in that the psychology and the story told here was second to none. A lot of credit has to go Lesnar as no one can sell a submission better than him in the industry. Absolutely no one. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a back and forth match where wrestlers do a STRONG style match-up, then yeah, things like Shibata vs. Iishi and KENTA vs. Marafuji are the be all, end all of match-ups.

The thing though is that a lot of these Japanese matches don't result in long-term programs and there isn't nearly as much psychology or story-telling in them. And I don't mean interference by Paul Heyman. I mean things like BROCK LESNAR, a sadistic ruthless motherfucker who will break your arm for leisure and CM Punk, a man with a chip on his shoulder knowing that he considers himself the best in the world, but still hasn't defeated this hulk of a man. Japan does do matches like that, but they're wholly different in how they're presented.

When Punk hurt his leg, his leg stayed hurt. When they Punk laid down the foundation that Punk kicks to the head could legitimately knock down Lesnar, it added a bunch of legitimacy to Punk after the sheer ass whooping Lesnar laid on him for the first ten minutes of the match. Not only could Punk take a licking, but his kicks were strong enough they could knock Lesnar down. Sure they didn't go balls out, but every move, every strike, and every hold continued building the story. They do stuff like this in Japan but usually there's a lot of no-selling involved as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna have to side with Neocisco about Punk-Lesnar. I gave Steen Wolf another viewing and half of the matches on that card blow away what Punk and Lesnar did—especially the ladder match with Steen and Generico. However, what Punk and Lesnar did is still really good, but, in my opinion, I've seen better. As a WWE, "sports entertainment" style match, it definitely deserves the praise. Very rare that WWE puts out anything that can actually compete with the likes of PWG and New Japan.

Regardless of everything, I'm absolutely glad the newer generations get to see more than just sports entertainment from WWE. Damn shame they'll never grow up with WCW and ECW like many of us did. It's also a shame that they think what TNA currently does is even comparable to the best of WCW. As someone who watched WCW when it was still a part of NWA, and all the way to the end, it's a bit of an insult. WCW Saturday Night or WCW Thunder regularly featured matches of a higher quality than what TNA has been putting on TV. We had stuff like Savage/Flair, Eddie Guerrero/Benoit, and Malenko/Rey Jr. on Saturday Night, the C show.

WCW Saturday Night was always solid to me. Towards the end it got a little spotty, but I still watched. I was a WCW whore. The Dusty/Heenan on commentary factor made me want to watch anything WCW, to be honest.

BSMymUbIUAAy8b9.jpg

Cena had his surgery today to fix his torn triceps. 

Not a bad Raw and i stopped watching three weeks ago cause of vacation. 

My main question is, did Del Rio know Botch Cara was injured or not?

I'm sure he did, esp after Cara was back in the ring. I think Del Rio was just trying to make it look like he gave Sin Cara a beatdown, which is a better presentation for both of them than just a botched move.

Not a bad Raw and i stopped watching three weeks ago cause of vacation.

My main question is, did Del Rio know Botch Cara was injured or not?
Were we watching the same show? I felt it was horrible even by the usual standards. I digged the opening segment, handicap matches and the Punk stuff, but everything else was trash. A lot of just random matchups that led to absolutely nothing, and it just made no sense what-so-ever.

Del Rio was furious because Cara didn't want to finish the match. Those two already hate each other as it is...

Sin Cara has been said to have a reputation of being Diva backstage, especially when it comes out that he'll be losing a match. When Cara  signaled right away that he couldn't go on... I've never seen that happen. Ever.

Can any of you guys remember an incident where a wrestler called off a match right away? Usually if a guy can't get back up, he can't get back up and the referee makes that call. But for a wrestler to wave it off himself, I don't know if I've seen that.

Muta, I'm checking out Steen Wolf right now. Thanks for the suggestion!

yeah I haven't seen that before either. Usually it's a signal or the ref notices, and they do a quick impromptu finish like Owen Hart vs Austin

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that Sin Cara match... I had no idea what the hell was going on. I do have a feeling Sin Cara will be getting fired sooner rather than later.

The launch of the Playstation Live Events App didn't go so smoothly. There were problems with skipping and the ending of the Ziggler match was skipped entirely. However, Playstation offered me a refund today so it's all good. I just hope they have the kinks ironed out before the next PPV.

I think that answers the question about WM X coming out via the side entrance or not.
Yep, seems like it's lazy programming on Yukes' part. You'd think with how far the games progressed, that they'd be able to program a side entrance into the game by now.

But actually, I can't think of a WWE game that used a side entrance besides WWF No Mercy on N64(which used it for the 2000 Royal Rumble arena).

I wonder why they didn't use the old WWF block logo instead of the new one. I thought they came to a settlement, or was that only for archive footage?

Psssh, if that Steamboat screenshot were accurate, you'd be able to see seven-year-old me on the aisle to the right.
That and no George The Animal Steele. Kinda hard to recreate the moment where he pushes Macho off the top rope without him. Definitely have to substitute whatever garbage they give Steamboat as his theme song with the real deal as well.

Sonne's Match of the Year
 ​
Antonio Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn
2 out of 3 Falls!
 ​
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2UiADbh10&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
 ​
 ​
 ​
Plus Blast From The Past!
 ​
Antonio Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn (Claudio Castagnoli vs. El Generico)
Race to the Top Finals!
 ​
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atIXS0lQ5FU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

I kind of wish they didn't even bother with commentary on the WrestleMania stuff. It sounds like emotionless crap to begin with, and it's's even stranger when they have Ross and Lawler rerecording Ventura and Monsoon's lines.

How would they explain away the huge AJ tat though?
Bring him in as having a huge crush on AJ Lee. Big E. gets jealous. Instant noodle feud. Book it, Hunter!

Devon is gone from TNA! Looks like AJ is hung up over cash. Wants more than he currently makes for the time he has served the company!

Not trying to be funny, but genuinely curious - would WWE even want him? He's not exactly a young up and comer anymore, and he said some fairly controversial things in the past. So has Brock Lesnar, but AJ Styles is not Brock Lesnar.

Not trying to be funny, but genuinely curious - would WWE even want him? He's not exactly a young up and comer anymore, and he said some fairly controversial things in the past.
Well I think Devon may still have some upside but the problem is that his entire build is probably enhanced by steroids so I don't know. I don't think the WWE would want him without Bully Ray.

Also in honor of the Antonio Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn 2 out 3 falls match-up - ANTONIO CESARO is in WWE 2K14!

Antonio_Cesaro_2a_082113_081510101.jpg

Antonio_Cesaro_082113_081510101.jpg

At the very least I bet they'd like to get Devon in to do some interviews for future TLC/ladder match compilations.

After giving WWE '13 a chance and then seeing how nothing has changed for WWE '14, I realize that they're just trying to appeal to the LCD. No substance and awful gameplay. Just flash and nostalgia.

Okay, so, I didn't mind WWE '13's gameplay, I found it to be pretty fun, so I'll get WWE 2K14 at some point.

The gameplay video wasn't anything impressive, especially the Wrestlemania mode. The commentary, awkward as it may be with Ross and Lawler, won't be on that level unless you're completing one of the optional objectives that they have.

I, as long with a few other people, I'm sure, suggested that they add Punk's "It's clobberin' time!" and Daniel Bryan's "NO!" in the game. I'm really glad to see NO! make the cut, but I hope Punk's entrance taunt makes it as well.

It's unfortunate to see that the crowd still doesn't react to certain moves. I like how the crowd gets hyped as the match goes along, but in the Foley/Edge clip, he hits the mandible claw and the crowd is dead quiet. The crowd didn't even WOO! when Flair hit a chop in the corner.

There is a HUGE problem when you advertise your event as a "Legends" event, however, you have jobbers like Wes Brisco and Garret Bischoff advertised in your poster....

Just sayin....
LOL.. could care less about those guys... strictly going for Goldberg and Hart... but it'll be fun to see the other older guys

Sonne's Match of the Year: Antonio Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn (2 out of 3 Falls!)
I'll give you credit, Sonne, Zayn/Cesaro's 2-out-of-3-falls match is pretty good. :)

Personally, O'Reilly/Richards and Cole/Callihan's 60-minute Iron Man match from "Is Your Body Ready" tie for my favorite matches of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back