The "Nobody Watches TNA Wrestling" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TNA = people with ADD

Everytime I watch it's like 5 mins of this, 5 mins of that, swerve, double swerve, triple swerve...

It's not for me

How many people featured on tonight's TNA broadcast are AARP members? Or at least eligible?

Seriously.

Now for some parity - how is it that the WWE can build a match like 'Taker-Michaels so wonderfully, yet falter when it comes to the rest of their product? And it's not just because it involves Undertaker/Michaels. This is a match that I had little interest in because they had already done it the year before. Yet they ran with it, built it logically, and gave us a reason to care. It makes the majority of other feuds seem weirdly out of place.

Personally I have watched TNA every week since they were on Fox Sports. They aren't perfect, but I really like the talent they have, and I see potential in the company. They just need to get there shit together with story-lines and pacing.

I did like seeing the Nasty Boys back in TNA, but they have already over stayed their welcome imo. I thought for sure that Team 3D would send them packing in that first match, but sure enough they are still feuding over two months later.

I don't like how Hogan is face, and Bischoff is heel, and Hogan seems fine with Bischoff doing heel things like tormenting Jarrett and trying the Shave Foley. That makes no sense at all. I realize that they wanted Jarrett and Foley to be heels in the beginning, but that was just stupidity on their part. Like I was really going to boo the founder of TNA while he was getting verbally bitch slapped by Hogan, and seriously did anybody think that Bischoff could possibly draw face heat against Mick F'N Foley?

I'll say it again just so that I am clear. I watch TNA because I like a lot of the talent, even some of the older guys, but they REALLY need to get their writing together. I went to the house show in Wheeling WV last night, and it was FAR more entertaining than your average impact! Maybe that's because they focused on WRESTLING.

That's the general feeling on the house shows - they're eons better than the TV show or most PPVs because they actually make use of their talent roster's ability to wrestle. The fact that they're being squandered in nothing matches on TV and PPV is a shame since it's probably the best overall roster of talent since the '01 WWF with Eddie, Benoit, Angle, Taker, HHH, and Austin tearing it up on a weekly basis.

My issues with TNA is that there's absolutely no logic to their booking. The fans are treated as though they're completely clueless, and TNA can't get away with stupid booking at this point. If they want people to tune in and increase their numbers, they need to stop booking surprises for the sake of surprises.

Jeff Hardy and Rob Van Dam should have been huge coups for them. They should have been promoted as huge signings in order to draw viewership, and instead they appeared for all of five minutes total on a 2 hour broadcast. Any viewer who happened to tune in randomly would have seen RVD getting beaten up with a bat instead of seeing Van Dam in a match that they'd anticipated.

The WWE has had one surprise debut in recent years that I can remember, and it was Christian showing up on ECW. You can count Edge or Cena at the Rumble too, but the point is that their surprises mean something while TNA's are forgotten in a week or two.

Crash TV isn't working for TNA. They should be booking things completely safe - play to their strengths to hide the weaknesses. Quit trying to shock people with random debuts and surprises - the Internet has made that impossible since we know what's going to happen three weeks in advance.

New match added to the TNA PPV - Tara vs Daffney for the Knockouts Championship...in a First Blood match. Can't remember if I've ever seen a womens match in the US involving blood that wasn't Mickie Knuckles or LuFisto.

I don't hate WWE, I just don't like seeing the same feuds over and over again. I guess that's why I like TNA is because you have such a mix of talent that's never had feuds before. Who would have thought Sting would ever do a program with RVD? Even though that's not the choice I would have selected for RVD to feud with first, but still never thought I'd see it.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I don't hate WWE, I just don't like seeing the same feuds over and over again. I guess that's why I like TNA is because you have such a mix of talent that's never had feuds before. Who would have thought Sting would ever do a program with RVD? Even though that's not the choice I would have selected for RVD to feud with first, but still never thought I'd see it.[/QUOTE]

The same feuds over and over again? Hogan/Flair 1991-92 on the House Show, 94-2000 in WCW, Hall/Nash/Waltman same as 10 plus years ago.

Who the hell cares about Sting/RVD? Sting is 50 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='wildcpac']=
Who the hell cares about Sting/RVD? Sting is 50 years old!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I sure do. Sting can still go.

Its an odd dream match kinda...

[quote name='mykevermin']stick around, ratings will be out later today.[/QUOTE]

If you understood how the Nielsen ratings work, then you might not have stated the above. Nielsen doesn't monitor EVERY person in the country.

Ratings are fun... but in the end, they mean very little. Well... unless you consider generalization an accurate form of measurement.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Shoot... I agree! I'll take an RVD v anyone feud any day.[/QUOTE]

I might have said that before, then I saw the RVD/Kane feud. Awful.

Abyss as the designated driver and the "special" enforcer ruled. Hardy-AJ was good, but not great. I loved how Jeff's first TNA match ever and first one back were against the same guy, but for whatever reason, these two haven't yet had a truly great match together. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of Jeff being in TNA and just not ever giving a shit as a result, or what, but these two should have excellent matches together. Tonight's was hurt by the commentary, which seemed to be more yell-filled than usual. Even by Impact standards, way too many people were yelling and screaming for no good reason.

Abyss putting Flair through the ramp - a good reason to yell, some meaningless thing, like Bischoff having his head shaved - not a good reason. Why bother wasting that tonight? THE PPV IS ON SUNDAY, JUST DO IT THEN! Christ, this company. They re-re-restarted Anderson-Angle. Ugh. They really should've had Angle get the swank entrance and have Anderson receive the cool Army beatdown on the PPV.

The X division ladder thing didn't do much to make me want to see either the ladder match or Ultimate X match, and Moore-Williams had nothing other than a goofy Moore promo to build it up. God, what a worthless title that is. The Global belt ain't exactly the most meaningful thing ever, and in two months, they went from making the TNA title into a big deal with Flair putting it over and putting AJ over as "the man" to having AJ kind of revert back to his '07 comedy act and clutch the title tonight in the goofiest-looking way humanly possible. The tag titles are also pretty worthless - they're held by a guy who wants Jarrett as his partner and Morgan, who seems to resent the partner who helped him get his first title in TNA. And the guys in the Ultimate X get to kill each other for a shot at these guys.

Hall-Nash was hilarious for all the wrong reasons, and at 5 minutes in length, it was pretty close to being an iron man match by Impact standards. Neither the 3D/Runt vs. Nastys/Jimmy Hart match or women's match wasn't good either, but Runt's return was a pleasant surprise.

Flair was the MVP of the show for me - he took a bump through the ramp, and his show-opening promo ruled, as he busted himself open and ranted and raved about the evils of Abyss, that high, no-good paint-sniffing punk Jeff Hardy, and Hogan. Speaking of the high comment, why the hell would you, as a company, KEEP THAT LINE ON A TAPED SHOW WHEN THE GUY IS GOING ON TRIAL FOR DRUG CHARGES!? God, these people are morons.

Screens -
See? Brooke and some poor plastic surgery victim are as offended by Impact as the rest of the world.

Quotes for the "Hogan's Heroes" Impact-
AJ - I BELIEVE THAT I’M A GIFT FROM GOD, AND THIS SUNDAY, YOU’RE GONNA FIND OUT FIRST-HAND! SIT DOWN, FAT BOY!
Flair - I WISH THAT I COULD BE AS UNDER CONTROL AS AJ IS! I CAN’T BE, CUZ LAST MONDAY, YOU SEE THIS!? A GUARDRAIL DID THAT CUZ OF HOGAN - NOT HIS FIST, A GUARDRAIL! WE HAD THINGS JUST WHERE WE WANTED, THEN HOGAN! THIS IS REAL BROTHER, IT’S WRESTLING! YOU JUMP ON ME, YOU GET JUMPED BACK ON! HOGAN, I’LL NEVER FORGET IT! ABYSS, YOU’RE A DEAD MAN, AND JEFF HARDY, WE HAD THEM WHERE WE WANTED HIM! I HATE JEFF HARDY, HE MEANS NOTHING! THIS IS TNA, AJ’S THE CHAMP AND I’M THE BOSS AND JEFF HARDY, YOU WANNA PLAY BALL HERE EXPECT THIS EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE! (Jeff comes out)
AJ - WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!? YOU’RE A NOBODY! YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING!
Flair - WHEN HE’S TALKING TO YOU, YOU LOOK HIM IN THE EYE!
AJ - YOU’VE DONE NOTHING! NOTHING HERE! YOU ARE A NOBODY! YOU WANNA PUT YOUR HANDS ON RIC FLAIR AND THE CHAMP!? I see…you wanna be in the spotlight? THE SPOTLIGHT DOESN’T GET ANY BIGGER THAN AJ STYLES, SO HOW ABOUT THIS, SINCE YOU LIKE TO PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE CHAMP, HOW ABOUT WE GET IT DONE TONIGHT!?
Flair - WOOO!
AJ - You want it!? I DOUBT YOU’LL KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT!
Hardy - IT’LL BE A BREEZE!
Flair - A BREEZE!? A BREEZE IS YOU GO BACK THERE AND PAINT A PICTURE! YOU ARTIST! GO GET HIGH, AS HIGH AS YOU CAN ON THAT PAINT! CUZ YOU GOTTA BE HIGH TO COME OUT HERE!
Hardy - I’M GONNA BE FLYING HIGH ON THE BACKS OF MY CREATURES OF THE NIGHT! AGGGGHHHHHHHHH!
Taz - DAFFNEY’S GOT A TOOLBOX! TOOLBOX! YOU NEVA WANNA SEE A CRAZY CHICK WITH A VISE GRIP. Or a hammer. Daffney with a hammer isn’t a good thing.
Taz - I would assume that Nash is in better ring shape than Hall.
Taz - FOLEY’S SHAVING BISCHOFF’S HEAD! HE HAS NO IDEA HE’S OUT COLD!
Moore - I WILL BECOME YOUR NEW TNA X DIVISION CHAMPION! WELCOME TO GLAMROCK!
Taz - I’m confused here. Why would AJ be willing to face Jeff Hardy here tonight when he‘s gotta face Abyss on Sunday? That’s kinda ambitious!
Tenay - IT’S ALMOST TERRITORIAL!
Taz - JEFF HARDY IS LOADED! WITH RESILIANCY!
Taz - JEFF’S GOING WHERE HE’S MOST COMFORTABLE!
Taz - JEFF HARDY JUST PINNED THE TNA WORLD CHAMPION!
Taz - Abyss is…I hate to use the term, but HULKING UP!
Tenay - HE’S DRAWING POWER FROM THE HULKAMANIACS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about to watch RAW then Impact spoiler-free for the first time in awhile. I have to watch them online since I don't have cable, so I downloaded a torrent and avoided all match results/possible spoilers/any kind of news sites regarding this monday's stuff. I figure Vince & Co. have Stone Cold as a guest host, so it HAS to be good... right? right??

(commence RAW watching)

Am I the only one who thinks Bret blew his wad early with his reveal? He should have waited until the actual match, IMO. I'm sure everyone knew his leg was going to be a swerve, and it just seemed like a wasted oppurtunity.

I would have had Vince work on Bret's leg throughout the whole WM match, and then have Bret just take the cast off and whoop his ass... but that's me.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']If you understood how the Nielsen ratings work, then you might not have stated the above. Nielsen doesn't monitor EVERY person in the country.

Ratings are fun... but in the end, they mean very little. Well... unless you consider generalization an accurate form of measurement.[/QUOTE]

Well, as someone who messes with statistics all day, I do consider measurement a good form of generalization.

;)

I see your point, of course - after all, it was Roger Ailes who used Fox News' rating dominance as a means of defending the accuracy of their news coverage - a defense that's a non sequitur if there ever was one.

That said, we're talking pro wrestling and not news (despite their similarities). I understand that by my proxy of generalization that ROH is the worst wrestling show out there :)lol:). What I'd argue about TNA is that they have loads of unfulfilled promise. They're too mired in the "something new has to happen every 60 seconds" mentality and are therefore stuck in crash tv alley. TNA has literally *zero* tricks up their sleeve to counter WWE's dominance other than to debut surprising faces. They don't see what they have right in front of them: an incredible, incredible roster of talent.

I read a review of last night's impact: 5 matches that went 3 minutes a piece, and Hardy v Styles went 10. In the case of the shorter matches, the problem was that the match wasn't important - the production and the announcing and the wrestlers all made that the case. The match was an entree into the "meal" of the story: the post-match shenanigans.

I bitch on TNA because they have the potential to change - WWE is stuck in the dual hell of being McMahon run and also being too conservative (financially, not politically) to run any risks in their programming and fuck up their stocks short term. TNA has literally nothing to lose and everything to gain - their ratings can't get any worse than being around a flat 1.0 for 3 years straight (which is true). TNA has the potential to change, and I can't fathom why they write the shows they do - the same shows pro wrestling has had for over a decade, and after 3 straight years of debuting talent and expecting results and getting none - why do they continue to put together the same programming?

I wish TNA well, but my mind is boggled that they continue to make the mistakes they make.

RAW was a decent show. Not enough Stone Cold, IMO. And I'm sure everyone tuned in to see him give Vince (or anyone) a Stunner -- and there was no such thing. Overall I thought it was a solid RAW compared to the usuals. Good matches other than the squashes of Kofi & Bourne, and the "meh" ending kind of soured me out of scoring this RAW with a B+/A-.

I'll probably watch TNA tomorrow. Or maybe later. Having two days off back-to-back in the middle of the week is brutal.

WWE had wrestling on, god bless 'em.

It was a good balance of wrestling matches and all the shitty skits that I hate but the fans today - well, it's all they know, so it's what they want to see.

Tho' I missed the big Bret/Vince reveal. I ain't missing the Daily Show anymore for whatever awful surprise is at the 11:05 slot on Raw.

[quote name='mykevermin']What?

It's true.

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Whats TNA wrestling? Tits N Ass?

I used to like wrestling back in the day of hacksaw jim duggan, the iron shiek, roddy piper, and all those guys because it was fun they all had their own costumes and personalities and stuff. I never was a hulka maniac though.

But I dont like newer wrestling, its all the same guy basically just copied and pasted a couple times with different hairstyles. I tried to watch a couple times back when like the rock and stone cold first started and it bored me shitless.

Although one night when I was bowling I was laughing my ass at off at some midget dressed like a leprachaun was making an ass of one of the wrestlers. Wish I could see it again. They had it on a tv out on the lanes above the ball return.

[quote name='mykevermin']Raw 3.7.

Impact 0.8.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add: :rofl:[/QUOTE]

0.8..... WOW.

NXT will top TNA this week. Color me shocked.:roll:

Impact 0.8.

Dixie Carter

Although its classic David v Goliath, 1 stone will not bring down our giant, its a different day. It'll take time & commitment, we have both
about 5 hours ago via web

Yes, 0.8 rating screams stay the course.

Wow... tanking big time. Though it should be interesting to see if they can go back to 1.0 on the Thursdays repeat. I think there's a built in mentality by now that thursdays are TNA night and mondays are WWE night, so alot of people are going to automatically tune to USA and not Spike. Also, Stone Cold's return (even though he did nothing) could take the momentum of almost anything TNA had to offer.

[quote name='Chronis']Wow... tanking big time. Though it should be interesting to see if they can go back to 1.0 on the Thursdays repeat. I think there's a built in mentality by now that thursdays are TNA night and mondays are WWE night, so alot of people are going to automatically tune to USA and not Spike. Also, Stone Cold's return (even though he did nothing) could take the momentum of almost anything TNA had to offer.[/QUOTE]

They canceled the Thursday repeat after what happened last week. Looks like their strategy didn't pan out. :D

That, and they advertised this weeks matches (3 PPV main event level matches) a full week in advance, and not just on the internet/tv 2 days before. Plus it's Wrestlemania hype time. I wonder if the whole Dixie/Hogan plan is to get shit ratings against Wrestlemania hype, then get all excited when their ratings go up a bit during WWE's slow period of May-July.

The thing is, Chronis: what TNA has to offer takes the momentum out of what TNA has to offer.

They'll never admit that to themselves, and that's why they'll never succeed.

Impact 0.8.

2d2joh.gif

Why does TNA have to compete with the WWE? Can't they just carve themselves a nice little niche in the market and make some cash?

[quote name='Sporadic']They canceled the Thursday repeat after what happened last week. Looks like their strategy didn't pan out. :D[/QUOTE]
I think it would take one more week to see if that strategy works, that way people know that there isn't a Thursday repeat next week and that they can only catch it on Monday.

[quote name='lombarvm']Why does TNA have to compete with the WWE? Can't they just carve themselves a nice little niche in the market and make some cash?[/QUOTE]

Because the Huckster, Sleazie E and others trash talk the WWE. So when they fail week in and week out they are going to be made fun of.

You don't really think that was an actual answer, do you?

Step up your trolling game, little kid.

I was wondering what that stood for.

Mr. Anderson had "WWLSD" written on his wrist tape in his Impact tag team match. Apparently, it was short for, "What Would Lance Storm Do." Lance Storm has been a vocal critic of the TNA product.

pwtorch.com

TNA Impact last night averaged a 0.84 rating off a first hour 0.88 and second hour 0.80. The show also drew an average of 1.1 million viewers.

The overall Impact rating was down 15.0 percent from the previous week's 0.99 rating. Viewership was down 21.4 percent compared to last week's 1.4 million viewers.

Again, Impact followed the pattern of starting high, then ending low despite TNA having a "dream match" of Hardyhttp://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/TNA_News_1/article_39889.shtml# vs. A.J. Styles in the main event.

The show opened with a 0.84 quarter-hour for the first segment, then bottomed-out with a 0.72 quarter-hour for the final 15 minutes of the show, before increasing slightly to a 0.74 for the over-run for the main event ending.

Mr. Anderson had "WWLSD" written on his wrist tape in his Impact tag team match. Apparently, it was short for, "What Would Lance Storm Do." Lance Storm has been a vocal critic of the TNA product.

So... what if Lance Storm took Hogan's place in TNA?

[quote name='wildcpac']Simple solutions for TNA.

1. Minimize or get rid of everybody over the age of 40. Hogan, Flair, Nash and Sting combined should get no more than 15 minutes of airtime. Not 90 minutes out of the show like in previous weeks.

2. Get rid of all of the Hulk Hogan Cronies who do not belong in TNA. This includes Brooke, Bubba the Fatso, Nasty Boys and god knows who else.

3. More realistic storylines. Having Abyss gain power from a ring is an insult to everybody who follows in 2010. Is it that hard to have storylines about wrestlers motivations being Money, Women and Championships?

4. Make Impact about actually Wrestling and not stupid angles and talking. There is a decent size fan base that is begging for it and do not even bother to watch Raw the past 8 years because of it. Following Raw's business plan is not going to bring in new viewers. It might steal a couple here and there but it is not going to turn nobody into casual or casual into die hards. Alot of people who watched Nitro didn't just switch over to Raw in April of 2001.

5. Get the hell out of the Impact Zone. It makes TNA look so bush league compared to Raw. The Casual person is going to see that Raw is in an Arena of 15-20'000 and looks like the Superbowl compared to Impact being in a 2000? seat tv studio. Visually alone they are selling their product as being inferior.[/QUOTE]

All these, plus:

* Abyss should be a fucking animal.

* Bringing in Ric Flair to be a mouth-piece for a heel (???) AJ Styles? WTF??? There is a reason why Malenko hardly ever touched the mic; AJ shouldn't either.

* I like Pope's push, but he's too "nicey-nice" now. The anti-hero wearing the face-mask to prevent others from breathing his air and just being an asshole is much more entertaining.

* Sting...heel? C'mon guys, there are incredibly talented guys who can play both roles (see: Jericho), but Sting isn't one of them.

For those actually interested in the ratings breakdown over the 2-hour Impact...

0.87 Flair, Styles, Hardy talk in the ring, Foley and Bischoff talk backstage.

0.85 Clip of Nasty Boys beating on Neal, Nasty Boys vs Team 3D, Angelina Love interview backstage, Hall and Pac interview backstage Nash/Young arrive and talk.

0.82 Anderson/Wolfe vs Angle/Pope, Hogan/Hardy/RVD/Bischoff talk backstage.

0.96 Love vs Daffney with The Beautiful People by the ring Tara gets involved, Hogan in the ring talking and calls out Sting who while coming to the ring gets jumped by RVD.

0.93 Ending of the Hogan/Sting/RVD segment in the ring when Bischoff ends it, Hernandez/Jarrett/Bischoff talk backstage, Hall vs Nash with Pac and Young getting involved.

0.82 Beer Money interview backstage, Hernandez vs Beer Money with Jarrett refereeing and Morgan on commentary.

0.81 Foley/Bischoff haircut segment, Shannon Moore interview backstage, x-division segment in the ring featuring Motor city guns/Generation Me/Amazing Red/Kendrick/Kaz/Daniels.

0.72 Abyss interview backstage, Hardy vs Styles with Abyss as enforcer.

0.74 Q9 Overrun: Hardy vs Styles, after match Flair swings a chair then Abyss slams Flair throught ramp.

0000148115-75668l.jpg

*oops had the GGT open in one tab and the wrestling thread in another and replied in the wrong one*

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, it's an improvement from the way he was before Hogan gifted him the ring.

My friend "The Man" Matt Boston- formerly of Springfield, Illinois' New Midwest Wrestling and now working for Mid Pro Wrestling of Decatur, Illinois- has been featured in WWE Magazine. This picture was taken last summer, and now it and the story are in the April 2010 issue of the magazine.

23561_403378021653_724676653_5028410_5763774_n.jpg

At least ROH has a few good excuses as to why no one hardly watches: barely anyone knows they exist outside of smark base, and they're on a channel that about 8 people get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back