The Offical Bioshock thread *It's OUT! Post your Specs and tell how it runs!*

but gears and halo is design for controller so mouse and keyboard would be odd... just adapt to the controller and you'll do fine.

i'm surprised it ran decently on my system.....at 1024x768 using medium to high settings

athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754)
shuttle sn85g4v2 (sff pc)
nvidia 6800gs agp 512MB
1GB ram
under Vista

i was able to run it with high settings, which looks awesome, but the framerate was low.

It ran at or above 30 fps on high at 1440x900 on mine, with some minor drops here and there.

Athlon FX-62 AM2 @ 3.0GHz, 2 GB Corsair 800MHz DDR2, MSI K9N Platinum, ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB, 2x 250 GB WD HDD, X-FI Platinum.

PC was spewing fire after playing. I need some better fans.

The system requirements are rather high...but it was expected. A Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz is actually lower than I thought it would require.

Bioshock
Publisher: 2K Games
Developer: 2K Boston

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 8 GB Free
Video Memory: 128 MB (GeForce 6600/ATI Radeon X1300)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO Processor
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 8 GB Free
Video Memory: 9.0c with 512 MB (GeForce 7900 GT) or DX10 (GeForce 8600)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX:10
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

I just picked up my copy at EB. I'm pissed because my monitor doesn't work. Both the D-sub and DVI are broken. Never, and I mean NEVER, buy a Sceptre monitor. They're shit. I'm going to try and find a cheap CRT at goodwill in the meantime. But I'm not touching Bioshock until my LCD is back.

Oh, yeah, specs.

Samsung 226bw 22" LCD
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.1ghz (overclocked to 3.0ghz)
1GB DDR2 (this sucks, I'll probably upgrade next month.. hasn't effected the Bioshock demo though)
Foxconn 8800GTS 640mb

I ran it pretty much perfectly on max settings at 1680x1050. I wasn't running Fraps so I'm not sure of the framerates, but there weren't any slowdowns or stutters.

Is there no AA or AF in this game?

Waited outside my local EBGames this morning so I could pick up my copy of the Limited Edition for PC. I'm running it maxed out at 1024x768 and get steady framerates. Seems like a really good game so far... the graphics are typical Unreal Engine 3 fair. (which is good...)

I'm running it on my newly built budget gaming machine

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 (I'm yet to overclock this but when I do it'll be at least a 30% increase)

2 GB Kingston DDR 667 RAM

320GB Hard Drive

eVGA GeForce 8600GT 256MB DDR3

I'd recommend the 8600GT for anyone looking to upgrade so they can play BioShock. You can find it for like $100 on NewEgg and I'm basically maxing every game out right now including Bioshock, Oblivion, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. although I think Crysis may put an end to that. :)

For all that are running it I just how one question HOW? I got back home and installed it just after 10:30 central time. The CD Key does not work and from what people are saying on the forums for the game is the server is down.

[quote name='Argive']God... reviews can be so lame sometimes. REALLY? It ran well with a Core2 Quad processor, Geforce 8800 and 4gb ram??? OMG WHAT A TECHNICAL ACCOMPLISHMENT. That information is SO useful to 99% of PC gamers who want to know how this'll run on their comp!

/sarcastic vent off[/QUOTE]

not necessarily. games like Stalker when they launched ran horribly, even with the 8800 cards. It's good to know for people who are looking to upgrade that it will be worth it for Bioshock, no need to get all crazy.........

But yeah

Core 2 duo E6600 and 8800 GTS and 4GB
runs smooth for me.

[quote name='Zoglog']not necessarily. games like Stalker when they launched ran horribly, even with the 8800 cards. It's good to know for people who are looking to upgrade that it will be worth it for Bioshock, no need to get all crazy.........

But yeah

Core 2 duo E6600 and 8800 GTS and 4GB
runs smooth for me.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the graphics between the two games are even comparible, but Bioshock runs like a dream.. and somehow Stalker manages to get the low framerates.

[quote name='sendme']For all that are running it I just how one question HOW? I got back home and installed it just after 10:30 central time. The CD Key does not work and from what people are saying on the forums for the game is the server is down.[/QUOTE]

Mine works just fine.

Gotta pick it later today for PC, already have the 360 LE though.

37" LCD 37w3
8800gts 640
e6600 @ 3.5 GHz
2GB DDR2
Vista X64

[quote name='Argive']Wow, this is lame:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/shortscreened/bioshocks-widescreen-pissing-people-off-291697.php

Pretty weak eh?[/QUOTE]
Yay! Sucks for those with widescreen displays, but that makes me kinda happy as a bunch of people are always flaunting their damn widescreen tvs/monitors (rl friends). Now theres a game in which my "lamescreen" has an advantage. Woo hoo 1 to 9001!

Oh right, how the game runs..
Specz:
Dell 17" LCD
1024x768
e4400 2.00ghz (2.25ghz)
2gb ddr (4-4-4-12, pc 6400 oc'd to pc 7040)
8800gts 320mb eVGA
Vista Bussiness x86

Well I have everything maxed with forced AA x4 and AF x16 from Nvidia control thingy. Little bit slow to um.. I think its buffer into RAM (gotta do a 360 spin when game first loads) but after that its smooth. Haven't played much though, maybe some more gfx intensive plasmid stuff later coudl cause issues.

[quote name='red flare graf']I don't think the graphics between the two games are even comparible, but Bioshock runs like a dream.. and somehow Stalker manages to get the low framerates.[/QUOTE]

but that's the exact point on why they stated that it runs well with the current hardware........... the full UT 3 engine hasn't been available in any game on PC till now. the Rainbow six one was UT 2.5 engine. And with all the UT3 engine games, Performance with the latest hardware is important, esp since many people upgraded their pcs just for these games.

[quote name='Zoglog']but that's the exact point on why they stated that it runs well with the current hardware........... the full UT 3 engine hasn't been available in any game on PC till now. the Rainbow six one was UT 2.5 engine. And with all the UT3 engine games, Performance with the latest hardware is important, esp since many people upgraded their pcs just for these games.[/quote]

Point well taken. I hadnt heard about those games running poorly on the 8800. Even so, thats a pretty low bar any game should be able to meet.

My system:

P4 2.8ghz (single core)
GeForce 6800
1.5ghz ram
WinXP

How it runs:

Surprisingly well. I have it all set to low, except I have Dynamic Lighting on and Textures at Medium. I get probably about 30-40fps during combat. It still looks great, though it doesn't really use the normal mapping that UE3 is known for.

Im playing through it right now and I cannot stress how much I love this game. I never say that, but this game is one of the best I have EVER played.

Let me just say, if you didnt like going to the dentist before, you will DEFINATLY WILL NOT after this game hahahahahahaha, amazing game. BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT.

game runs fairly well on my build with everthing high

amd dual core
7900 gs
2gb ram
vista x64

for giggles im installing this on my laptop

Well It actually was playable at 13-19 fps with 5 fps dips at medium on my 6600....all down low im sure its 25-30....

was the demo though..

I was reading the forums at gamefaqs and I remember some guy ranting about the game being SecuRom (some security scheme).

I heard it can mess up your computer or so ... ?

It has been a while since I picked a game up on the fly without first playing a demo, but I travel alot and wanted something to play on my downtime, so the CC 40$ pricetag was good enough for me. I did not even know much about this game till Cheapy mentioned it on the CAGCAST (shows you how much I keep with the gaming news lol).

Runs ok on my laptop, cant really crank the graphics up but they look good enough to me on low/medium on my lappy ( ATI Mobility Radeon X1700, 1 GB Ram, Intel Core 2 T7200 2 ghz). Will certainly run much better than on my old Radeon 9800 pro desktop.

So far I like the game and look forward to playing it some more, but I just dont think I am a big fan on the whole "scary sci-fi" theme. I did not really like F.E.A.R. so getting this game was a shot in the dark, but I was itching for a new FPS and this got good reviews. I was kind of looking for a more Deus EX type game though, this seems a little less RPG involved than Deus EX was.

Graphics look good, but I am more impressed by Gears of War on the XBOX 360. This is probably just cause I cant crank it up all the way though.

[quote name='Kyo']I was reading the forums at gamefaqs and I remember some guy ranting about the game being SecuRom (some security scheme).

I heard it can mess up your computer or so ... ?[/QUOTE]

SecuRom's alright. It's Starforce that fucks computers.

[quote name='MrSneis']Gotta pick it later today for PC, already have the 360 LE though.

37" LCD 37w3
8800gts 640
e6600 @ 3.5 GHz
2GB DDR2
Vista X64[/QUOTE]

Got around to playing it through the first level, crazy ass game! It's scary in a much Different way than Doom or Darkness, much more creative! Big daddies will also fuck you up good, I killed one for fun and it took most of my ammo :( Very fun game and it ran like butter on my setup. The best way for me to describe the game is that it rewards you for being very creative in your killing techniques because ammo and health pickups are relatively scarce (depending on your skill level.)

The LCD I use is 1080p so I didn't get the cropping many are complaining of, but there was one HUGE flaw in the installation process. My drive required that I set it to PIO mode (aka SLOW MODE) via Windows in order to install else it would give an error saying to insert the original game disc. I also activated and installed the game on my Asus g1s with no problem, I think it can be activated on other computers no problem as long as the game disc is legit... if anyone can shed light on this it would be helpful.

Gotta sell my CE Xbox version eventually.

[quote name='Logain8955']SecuRom's alright. It's Starforce that fucks computers.[/QUOTE]

I've read a few places that the game phones home and only lets you install twice. I've never heard of a securom game doing that before though.

I wonder how this would work with Steam installs.

[quote name='jalu6']I've read a few places that the game phones home and only lets you install twice. I've never heard of a securom game doing that before though.

I wonder how this would work with Steam installs.[/quote]
Yeah, I just read about that too. I just picked up the game this morning, came home, loaded up Kotaku and found out that I can only install the game twice. Such bullshit, there better be a patch or something to fix this or I'll have to download a crack asap.

[quote name='Fragonard']Yeah, I just read about that too. I just picked up the game this morning, came home, loaded up Kotaku and found out that I can only install the game twice. Such bullshit, there better be a patch or something to fix this or I'll have to download a crack asap.[/QUOTE]

This is ass. I reformat my hard drive every four months. I'd have a coster in less than a year!

Hey guys, I just need impressions from people who actually have the game. I just ordered this card from newegg http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814150229 It should be here tomorrow. Besides that, my computer is as follows: Pendium D 2.66 GHz 1534 mb of ram, 300gb hard drive, Windows XP pro. How should I be able to run this game? Curious if I'll be able to run it on high, or even medium? I have a 360 but I'd love to pick this up for my PC instead. Thanks for anyone who replies!

[quote name='Chuplayer']This is ass. I reformat my hard drive every four months. I'd have a coster in less than a year![/quote] So it's my understanding from what I've read, that as long as you uninstall the game before you install it somewhere else or on the same PC you will be fine. If your hard drive crashes more than once and the game is installed you are screwed. So as long as you uninstall before installing again you are fine.

Still we shouldn't have to worry about this kind of shit. 2k, fix your shit.

Wow, only installing twice is bullshit.

I can understand wanting to protect your shit, but I mean, this is ridiculous.

Everyone needs to look at how Stardock does their copy protection. Their method is "We have no copy protection, but if you want patches, register your game. If you steal our shit, we hope you like it enough to buy it."

Just installed Bioshock, played for a minute just to get the graphic settings right. Seem I have to play the game on medium or else it lags some when fighting dudes. Although, I did have the resolution cranked, maybe I should turn it down a notch.

Did anyone else notice some mouse lag or is it just my mouse?

Here are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo
Nvidia 7600 Go 512MB Ram
2 Gigs of Ram
widescreen 1400x900

i was amazed when I tried out the demo on my computer with medium settings and it ran perfectly the whole demo. Even though I said that i was not going to play the demo before I got the game (already have it on the way), I was just too curious about how it would run on my computer. I'm not tempted to bump up the resolution and maybe a few of the settings. I won't be running this on my widescreen monitor since I tend to have problems running on it.

Specs:
Athlon 64 3000+
1GB Ram
ATi x1650XT 256MB AGP
19" 4:3 monitor 1024x768
Windows XP Pro

Tried the demo last night, my specs:

P4 3.0
7800GT 256mb
2gb ram
WinXP
16:10 LCD, native 1680x1050

Sad to say, at high settings, Bioshock was running at about 15fps. Of course my video card still overheats and crashes running games, but that's another story.

I turned down the setting to medium and was still getting about 15-20fps, but the graphics just looked horrible. The difference was drastic.

Couldn't try a lower equivalent 16:10 resolution, didn't see any available in game and didn't see a config.ini type file. If there is one, can someone direct me to it, and I'll try again at a lower 16:10 resolution.

Guess I'll p/u the 360 version in the future, although with my eyes, I think the PC version at high settings look a tad better than the 360 version.

[quote name='grendel19']Tried the demo last night, my specs:

P4 3.0
7800GT 256mb
2gb ram
WinXP

Sad to say, at high settings, Bioshock was running at about 15fps. Of course my video card still overheats and crashes running games, but that's another story.

I turned down the setting to medium and was still getting about 15-20fps, but the graphics just looked horrible. The difference was drastic.

Couldn't try a lower equivalent 16:10 resolution, didn't see any available in game and didn't see a config.ini type file. If there is one, can someone direct me to it, and I'll try again at a lower 16:10 resolution.

Guess I'll p/u the 360 version in the future, although with my eyes, I think the PC version at high settings look a tad better than the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

This makes me worried since I have a 7800 GTOC. I have a Core 2 Duo though, but I'm not sure it will make a world of difference. It sucks I don't have the internet at my house yet. I'll be up and running on Saturday.

[quote name='grendel19']Tried the demo last night, my specs:

P4 3.0
7800GT 256mb
2gb ram
WinXP

Guess I'll p/u the 360 version in the future, although with my eyes, I think the PC version at high settings look a tad better than the 360 version.[/quote]

wtf...

i know i was doing alot better than 15fps and i have a 7900gs and vista

[quote name='guyver2077']wtf...

i know i was doing alot better than 15fps and i have a 7900gs and vista[/quote]What resolution were you running at? 1680x1050 is pretty high. I should try running at something lower to see what happens.

Just installed it last night.

Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz
1 GB of RAM
7600 GT 256MB
Windows XP
1440x900 on Samsung 931BW

The game runs fine. I think I had everything was high, except turning down High Pixel Shader, since the game won't run after I get off the submarine thingy.

Maybe I'll upgrade the RAM once I starts school again.

Edit: Now that I got into some bigger fights. I think I need to turn it down to low now.

Hmm... I think there's a crack out for Bioshock, which is good since... people are fuckin' pissed about the activation thing. Wonder if it still requires me to go online when I install it? Well, either way, I don't feel like putting up with 2K's bullshit, so I'm glad it's out.

I bought it for 360 even though I have a Radeon X850XT because of the stupid lack of Shader 3.0 support on the card. It could run it just fine power wise though....:(

I had the same problem with the new Rainbow Six, DiRT, a bunch of stuff.
I will get a Geforce 8800 GTS eventually though!

I don't think it's been discussed yet, but a guy over at Widescreen Gaming released a trainer that fixes the sorry excuse for widescreen that's included in the game.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11658

It's kind of weird because the trainer doesn't have preset settings of what widescreen should be in the game, but you can adjust it however you want. It goes pretty damn far, you can pack a lot into your view.

[quote name='Fragonard']Yeah, I just read about that too. I just picked up the game this morning, came home, loaded up Kotaku and found out that I can only install the game twice. Such bullshit, there better be a patch or something to fix this or I'll have to download a crack asap.[/quote]
Elizabeth, who works for 2K Games made a post about this on the Bioshock forums yesterday .... ahh, i had to pull the post from my blog because the actual post is no longer on 2K's forums ... here it is.

[quote name='Elizabeth @ 2K Games']
hey guys,

first, let me say this. you DO NOT NEED TO USE THE INTERNET EVERY TIME YOU PLAY THIS GAME. it is only the first time.

second, you can uninstall and reinstall this game, and if, by chance, you have 2 computers you want to simultaneously play this game on, you also can do that.

if by some chance you are reinstalling this game without uninstalling it first, a lot, there is a chance you may have to call securom and get a key, or deactivate some older installations.

but if you upgrade your hardware next week, you'll still be able to play the game. if you revamp your system and need to reinstall bioshock, just uninstall it before you go through the overhaul, and then do your reinstall.

calling it "hardware fingerprinting" is a bit alarmist. we do not transmit any of your data to any companies.

really, the only people who will be concerned about any of these security measures are those who are rapidly putting bioshock on many pcs... if you use the game as you normally do, you won't notice this at all.[/quote]

I imagine this will be addressed in short order though.

I really wanna get BioShock, but the 5 install limit on one PC worries me. Is it true that uninstalling first lets you reinstall without using up your install limit?

I mean, if you truly couldn't install a game more than 5 times ever, that's kinda like making a DVD stop working after watching it 5 times. :(

5 times isn't good enough. I'm still anticipating the inevitable crack. Why does 2K think this is a bargaining process? They need to get their heads out of their asses, realize that pirates already have the game up for consumption, and stop fucking over the consumer.

fuck.

bread's done
Back