The Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread Post your finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sports set has just about everything except the plastic bags & the game. Two of the controllers are still wrapped up and look like they've never been used.

And the PSP Go I was happy to find. A few months back, I went to a Wal-Mart about an hour from home. They had about a dozen brand new pearl white PSPGos. I can't remember if they were $100 or $150. At the time I decided against buying one... but eventually wanted to pick one up and wouldn't you know.. they were finally gone. That made me really want one.

Awwww yeah, the autumn lucky streak continues. First pic was $60, second was $10. Super happy to have Chrono Trigger back in my collection.

Figured maybe i'd start posting my finds here.  i just started the yard sale scene this summer and have had some fantastic finds (Find of the summer was Conker's Bad Fur Day in the shrink wrap at a church sale for 50cents). 

hoping to learn from the masters of the yard sale universe!

This saturday, for me, was a 2.5 on a 10 point scale (still not as crappy as last weekend):

Slim PS2 - $2

Pokemon Battle Revolution, Wii - $1

6 Lego Wii Games - $5 total

Luigi's Mansion, GC - $5

Grand Theft Auto 1, PS1 - 50cents

Drove 20 miles out of the way to grab Battlefront 2 XBox from a Craigslist buy but it ended up being an empty case.  What a waste of time.   

Kicking myself a bit for not picking up a wii i prob could've gotten for $20, because it "just wasn't cheap enough."

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought an audiophile ps1, 2 controllers, 2 memory cards, and crash bandicoot 1 GH, 5bux. Not gonna bother with pics because it's completely unremarkable (and could never compare with Mike's haul, anyway), but I do want to mention it just because I'm really curious what kind of equipment/cable you'd need to use the soldered outputs (the RFU dc out in particular) to their full potential. I'd imagine even just the direct connection is an improvement, but never even seen an RFU out before, and I ain't no audiophile. Only got it because the sale was listed 8 minutes from my house and mentioned Crash, there's not really anything going on around here anymore.

Completely botched the delivery, too, they were asking $15, and I tripped over myself and made a lame comment about getting it for $5 while also saying I didn't want it (even though I had CIF prepared and just froze for no reason) and it was just DISGUSTING. I got it, but it doesn't feel good. Lady just tossed me a dang freebie.

The ps1s that audiophiles like have rca jacks on the back if them. The yellow/red/white ports are on the back instead of the A/V out playstation cord. I know there is a rfu out, but do people prefer that to rca? I always thought RCA were the better output, but I could be wrong.

I had a pretty successful yard sale day and things have been pretty decent now for the last month (with one day that I made some horrible buys).

I did have a issue this last week though.  I have always been a believer that whoever arrives first to a yard sale is the one that gets first dibs.  I usually do not wait for a yard sale to open but I did arrive 30 minutes early to one this past weekend.  I am outside waiting by my car when another car pulls up (an acura) and the guy walks to the sale on his cell phone.  I ask for video games and the lady takes them out for me and the guy starts pulling the games.  I politely tell him I was going to take them and he starts telling me I have to share.  He hands me a game and takes another.  I again state I was going to take that and he states I have to share.  He quickly pays and leaves, while on his cell phone the whole time.

I have seen this guy around, he buys what seems to be resalable games and definitely does not "share".  Any ideas on how to deal with this guy without making a scence next time I see him?  I wanted to pull him aside and tell him he was wasn't being cool but I figured he must have needed the $10 he was going to make more than I needed a dupe for my collection.

I always thought proper etiquette is that if you're looking through a box of items, the next person will have to wait their turn. If there's multiple boxes, they're fair game. You can't hog the entire sale, but for someone to come sticking their hands in something you're looking through is not okay. If someone did that to me I would be straight and tell them to wait their fucking turn. They say no? I'll do what's necessary to get them out of my space.

I have an extremely short temper where straight resellers are involved. They're usually the ones speeding through neighborhoods, running to and from their car and generally being all-around cunts. Other gamers, however, I've been able to reason with and even chat up while browsing through games.

I had a pretty successful yard sale day and things have been pretty decent now for the last month (with one day that I made some horrible buys).

I did have a issue this last week though. I have always been a believer that whoever arrives first to a yard sale is the one that gets first dibs. I usually do not wait for a yard sale to open but I did arrive 30 minutes early to one this past weekend. I am outside waiting by my car when another car pulls up (an acura) and the guy walks to the sale on his cell phone. I ask for video games and the lady takes them out for me and the guy starts pulling the games. I politely tell him I was going to take them and he starts telling me I have to share. He hands me a game and takes another. I again state I was going to take that and he states I have to share. He quickly pays and leaves, while on his cell phone the whole time.

I have seen this guy around, he buys what seems to be resalable games and definitely does not "share". Any ideas on how to deal with this guy without making a scence next time I see him? I wanted to pull him aside and tell him he was wasn't being cool but I figured he must have needed the $10 he was going to make more than I needed a dupe for my collection.
Honestly when you say you want a dupe for your collection you basically threw yourself under the bus and called yourself a reseller too. Who buys dupes of games maybe a system for backups but back up games. I don't buy it. The guy beat you to the deal with a no better practice then acquiring dupes. Maybe don't take dupes and leave them for the next collector. But wait you do it to stop those resellers therefore becoming a reseller yourself or using it for barter trade bait etc.same thing.

I did have a issue this last week though. I have always been a believer that whoever arrives first to a yard sale is the one that gets first dibs. I usually do not wait for a yard sale to open but I did arrive 30 minutes early to one this past weekend. I am outside waiting by my car when another car pulls up (an acura) and the guy walks to the sale on his cell phone. I ask for video games and the lady takes them out for me and the guy starts pulling the games. I politely tell him I was going to take them and he starts telling me I have to share. He hands me a game and takes another. I again state I was going to take that and he states I have to share. He quickly pays and leaves, while on his cell phone the whole time.

I have seen this guy around, he buys what seems to be resalable games and definitely does not "share". Any ideas on how to deal with this guy without making a scence next time I see him? I wanted to pull him aside and tell him he was wasn't being cool but I figured he must have needed the $10 he was going to make more than I needed a dupe for my collection.
When I'm in a situation like that (seller brings out games because I specifically asked for them), I'll put my back to the house and physically get between the box they bring out and the road. Don't wait by your car, get up on their porch and camp out like a caveman with shifty eyes. Make sure that no one else gets to see the goods until you're done considering them.

Man, I just left a storage auction that had some 360 stuff. It was the last room in an 18 room auction. The room was 10x40 (MASSIVE), had lots of tools, and even more trash. In the front of the room was a table with about 40 copies of Black Ops II for 360. Underneath the table were boxes of fat 360 consoles. Went for $1700 (didn't really matter what it went for, I wasn't touching it!). I was hoping someone I'm friendly with would have bought it so I could make a deal on the game stuff. Ah well.

In other news. Went to the one yard sale in my town on the way to the auction today & got:

Atari Lynx (in soft case) w/ a baseball game for $5! My first time finding one... hopefully it works.

I appreciate the advice.  I didn't see the guy today.  My area, which has a few universities, gets extremely competitive with games.  Most of the game buyers I've met have been decent.  It's unfortuanate someone like Acura guy can't wait his turn.

Anyways today was weirdest day of the season.

I got up and left early as there were a number of game and comic sales advertised.  I was the first one at many of them, and almost everything was overpriced, however, all the sellers were really cool.

Having no luck, I hit a few community sales and was ttold I missed out on a big game bundle.  Other games I saw weren't great, and ended up with a few dollar 360 games that I wasn't sure if I had.  Also forgot to check game cases and ended up buying 2 PSP cases without games for $1 apiece.

So I head home and see this yard sale on the side of a busy main road at around 11am.  The girl running the sale tells me she doesn't have video games but she does have some old toys and pulls out a Return of the Jedi Ewok still in the package.  She sells it to me for a $1 and I continue to look at her stuff and ask her again about games.  She comments her brother had a Sega CD and she walks into her garage and she pulls out a Sonic CD (pink disc) and a NES controller.  She sells me those for $3 and I start to leave when she yells for me that she found her Sega CD.  She pulls out a large box (so Im expecting a Model 1) and hands it to me.  Its a complete CDX!  She sells it to me for $21 as she isn't sure its working (this one turns out to work great).  I am going to check with her tomorrow as she said she has tons of crap to take out and may have a lot more games and maybe some G1 Transformers now that she thinks about it.

So after my wife meets me to drop my car off for an oil change, we drive home and see a yard sale in my very well traveled neighborhood.  I have never had a game find pass 8am and I know a number of resellers hit my neighborhood early every Saturday.  We see overpriced old games at this yard sale and I spot a torn apart DS case with Pokemon on it.  I ask if they have any more games and they say no and then I ask for any Pokemon stuff.  Guy walks out with Pokemon cards (something I dont see anymore as stores offer $60 per 1000 commons in my area) and theres some EX cards and bunch of cards my wife likes.  Guy sells them for $5 to get rid of them and then hands me a case with a DS and some empty pokemon DS game cases.  He sells me the DS lot for $20.  In the car, my wife counts 27 games, 11 of which are main series Pokemon games (with a bunch of side games and notable GBA games).  This was found close to 1pm which is crazy.

Definitely my best 'late day' finds in a few years.  I'm glad to have a working CDx which takes up a lot less space than the Sega Genesis I have plugged in up in my game cave.

Nintendo hardware has always been built like tanks. I've yet to encounter any nintendo hw that's DOA. Maybe a toaster here and there but thats about it.
I thought this up until last week when I picked up 10 cable-less SNES consoles for $10 a piece. Thought that was a steal - none work! :(

Definitely my best 'late day' finds in a few years. I'm glad to have a working CDx which takes up a lot less space than the Sega Genesis I have plugged in up in my game cave.
I'd almost be afraid to use it since they are notorious for CD problems. Just pack it up and stare at it lovingly.

This isn't a yard sale find, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.  My dad works at a car dealership so he finds random stuff when cleaning out the cars that have been traded in.  The last things he gave me were Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES and FIFA 15 for the PS3.  If it's free, it's for me  :D/

Damn, I haven't posted in quite sometime. I've been finding things (too busy/lazy to post). Regardless, here's the things I found in the past 2 weeks.

I added everything up and it summed up to $65.00 (not too pricey).

The white DreamCast controllers were in great shape

[attachment=18672:novdec finds.PNG]

Those DBZ stickers made my day, lol!

[attachment=18673:Novdec systems.PNG]

Are laserdiscs worth anything? Found a bunch of weeb shit, some sealed, in some random goodwill, but I can't for the life of me find prices. Dbz and eva piqued my interest enough to ask, I doubt they're worth anything but don't want to regret later. There's more, but look like no-name moeblobs, I put a few of them out.

v36wAxqh.jpg

I don't know who you're trying to ask for help from from your post, and I don't think you know what laser discs are.
You're right, I don't. Had no idea what they were, read what english there was on the cases and came to that conclusion based on things like "...comprised in this video disc (including laser disc and video casette tape)" and "the program contained in this laser disc is liscensed for..."

sdGf1OBh.jpg

Either way, thanks for the fast response! Goodwill basically is our yard sale here in WI for the next few months, and I figured you guys were the most likely to know. Cheers, and sorry if I annoyed you.

You were condescending to people who'd know what those were, so I'm not sure what you meant to accomplish. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, etc.

Like Slowdive said, they're VCDs, which are common in Taiwan, China, etc. They're often (always?) bootlegs. They're also typically extremely low bitrate -- like 50 megs an episode or so. They usually make 480i look great.

The text is in Chinese, not Japanese. And the warning at the back there says for use in Hong Kong only. The English text is probably copied from an actual laser disc warning.

I still haven't seen any of those in the wild. I've snatched up around 150 disney movies on dvd/blu the past couple years, but the treasures still elude me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back