The Official Android thread.

Looks like my Droid Charge is acting up. For some strange reason after about 5-10 mins, the screen goes out. Wiether I am on the phone or playing a game or surfing the web, the screen just blacks out. the bottom keys stay lit up but the screen refuses to wake up. Have to force reboot it OR take out the battery. Seems to be happening when I am out and about.....hmm..

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone know how to repair Wi-Fi on android?

Mine won't connect anymore. When I enable it it just keeps trying to connect (shows Connecting...)

I know Wi-Fi works as my other devices are connected to my router and it won't even find any routers at all.[/QUOTE]

Something similar happened to my wife's phone (samsung gravity smart) and it couldn't be fixed without doing an OS restore.

What's the make/model of your phone?

So I figured out something with the Droid Charge. If you back up the micro sd card (using a usb reader), delete everything on the card, it fixes the problem. Ever since then my phone has been acting great.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Something similar happened to my wife's phone (samsung gravity smart) and it couldn't be fixed without doing an OS restore.

What's the make/model of your phone?[/QUOTE]

Well it was my old Moto DROID I was using as a Wi-Fi only device since I upgraded to Samsung GNex.

I fixed the Wifi by factory reset on phone and reinstalling CM7.

I'm rocking a Samsung Vibrant on T-Mobile, with a custom MIUI Gingerbread rom. It plays games pretty good, and I honestly prefer it to using ICS. It runs games better, and no slowdown and it just feels so much better.

I have seen DROID X since 2010. My friend has this one and oh my god! It's really awesome. With Android 2.3 software, it's my first time to see android phones in personal. But the thing that makes me more wanted of Android phones is this: DROID X2! Dude, it runs on Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor.

With these specs:
MEMORY8
up 8 GB on board, 8 GB microSD pre-installed
PROCESSOR SPEED
1 GHz Dual-core
ACCELEROMETER
Yes
NETWORKS4
CDMA 800/1900, CDMA 1X/EV-DO Release A
REMOVABLE MEMORY9
supports up to 32 GB microSD
SENSORS
Proximity, ambient light and eCompass

I'm craving to having this one. :)

They started selling 64GB cards in Israel, but for 600₪, there's no way I would buy one here. Also, the galaxy s3 was announced and looks great.

Wasn't street fighter for Android supposed to be out by now?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chiyeon']how about apps for Rooted phones? can we share it too?[/QUOTE]

for free apps, it best to link to the play/amazon/getjar/etc page directly
(that way, you get the updates automatically. you also don't have to worry about people uploading virus infected files)

as for "sharing" apks of paid apps, the answer is no
(unless you're trying to get yourself banned)

[quote name='wbc1228']for free apps, it best to link to the play/amazon/getjar/etc page directly
(that way, you get the updates automatically. you also don't have to worry about people uploading virus infected files)

as for "sharing" apks of paid apps, the answer is no
(unless you're trying to get yourself banned)[/QUOTE]

opsie :D
Idk, thanks for the heads up!

so i finally got a HTC from t mobile....is there anyway to pay for apps without using a credit card??

i've seen apple app pre paid cards that you can buy....are there any android pre paid cards?

I'm debating what to replace my Dell Streak with in the coming months. Now that I have a 5" screen, I don't really want to go too much smaller.

Looking at Samsung Note, Galaxy SIII, One X or possibly the iPhone 5 when it is announced.

The only caveat that I'd add to the link sharing is that *.APKs of otherwise paid apps are often posted, by the developers, on forums such as XDA and the like for users of those sites to use/test and sometimes indefinitely...but yeah link to that thread rather than the file itself.

I got a Pantech Crossover for my oldest kid, because it's cheap and doesn't require a data contract (it's pay-as-you-go AT&T phone). He's happy with it, but one thing I'm really unclear on about Android is if I add a credit card to Google Wallet for use in the Google Play store, will it require entering the Google Wallet password in order to make a purchase, because after I added the card I was not prompted to enter the password when I made a purchase for him. It just went through without question. This is a problem seeing how I don't want him to buy stuff on my credit card wily nilly. Well, actually he's a good kid and wouldn't on purpose, but I could certainly see it happening by accident. So I'm hoping to hear that at the very least it signs out automatically after a short while. Problem is I can find absolutely nothing about this via searching or looking at help. The most it seems to say is to be sure give the phone a lock password, but that's no help in this case since obviously he needs to be able to unlock the phone!

FYI, on iOS, every purchase requires entering the password. I was hoping it would work the same way in Android. I'm also wondering if maybe the Amazon App store worked this way. Then that might be the solution. For now I deleted the credit card after the purchase, but what a pain in the ass that is. Having to re-enter the card every time.

Both Amazon and Google have the PIN/password setting. (Amazon even lists it as 'parental controls' and you can lock away in-app purchases as well)

I bought this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...GHCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339331319&sr=8-1 at Walmart thinking I could still listen to music when using the GPS on my phone. The issue with my EVO 3D is when playing music and using the GPS with it Google Music tends to jump to another song only 10 seconds into the song and I don't have it on shuffle. Also it tends to want to call the first person in my contacts and always wants to do a voice search. However if I don't have the GPS going it seems fine.

Has anyone else used something like this? I'm wondering if it is my phone or if it is the charger/transmitter that I'm using.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Dumped shitty Sprint and got a Note on Straight Talk. I heart both with all the fibers of my being.[/QUOTE]
I picked up a Note a little over a week ago. At first I wasn't sure about the size of the thing but I'm definitely sold on it now.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Does this help?
https://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=1100168&answer=1626831

If not, I saw a few mentions of apps which can password protect specific apps (nothing stood out that I remember bit I can search later if you like; not at desktop now. )
A third option is to buy a prepaid card for his account, so the only annoyance is occasionally loading it up.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like it will work. Thanks. I'm not sure why I didn't see it though when I looked in the settings before. I will check again.

[quote name='JP']I picked up a Note a little over a week ago. At first I wasn't sure about the size of the thing but I'm definitely sold on it now.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure on the size when I held it at Fry's, but I've ALWAYS been sold on the phone. Ever since I got it I've been in 7th heaven. I have absolutely no intentions of ever getting another phone at this point regardless of how much more powahful new phones get...

Im waiting on the Note 2, ive heard its coming to verizon. If it is not, i will go to whoever does get it. I am done with my contract and not changing phones. The Note 2 is deciding point for me.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Im waiting on the Note 2, ive heard its coming to verizon. If it is not, i will go to whoever does get it. I am done with my contract and not changing phones. The Note 2 is deciding point for me.[/QUOTE]
I was going to wait for the Note 2 but I've been wanting to get rid of my iPhone for a while. Hate those damn things. That and since the company I work for is partnered with AT&T they were doing a discount on phone upgrade/new purchase costs.

As a former 3vo owner... LARGE dOOd. Lol

In all seriousness though. This thing doesn't feel as large the longer I use it more like just right. It being so thin makes a much better fit where the 3vo just feels like a small brick in my pocket. The screen on that thing feels so tiny now. I can't image a CrApple iphone.

I'm due for an upgrade in August. I wonder when the note will come to Sprint. I have used HTC for 2 years now so it will be hard to get used to another phone. I like the lock screen on the EVO 3D for the quick access to the weather. Other than that I can due with out HTC.

I wouldn't hold your breath for it lets put it that way. With the Note 2 supposedly in the works why bother with a Note 1? It will be a wait either way... (watch, just cuz I said that they roll it out...) Sprints stupid in decision making anyway... they bring the CrApple iPhone over finally because they "think" it's what all their customers want, but they do it AFTER every where else has it. They back Clearwire/4G, but execute it so badly that they are last in that department now because of LTE other 4G setups on other networks. No thanks... bye bye Sprint.

As for HTC, I thought I liked them. I had the original EVO, EVO 3D, and Flyer (tablet). They were good, but Samsung just blows them away (at least with the Note). White text on Black background layout of the Android OS is much more my style and while I don't really use the lock screen I know my Note has a weather feature in it too. I don't know what it looks like.

Even though Samsung's way of doing Android's OS is different to HTC's way I still instantly picked it up. I had a harder time hitting the power button (EVO's on top, Note's on the side). I think the only feature from HTC that I miss is the auto scroll up in the web browser even then it's no where close enough to make me want to go back.

I have told my customers and friends to stay away from HTC devices as much as possible, especially if they are going to be on an Exchange server. They jack around with the backend of the mail client and then say Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 don't support HTML email over ActiveSync (which they do) and won't help you as they say it's not Microsoft supported (which is a load). They also create little glitches that will resend the same message over and over and over on Exchange accounts because of their tinkering in the background of the mail app.

One thing that is causing me to reconsider HTC is the way they are with rooting. I would rather just download some programs and be done and then be able to unroot with out Sprint or anyone knowing I was ever rooted at all. Now HTC is blocking things and making it a pain in the ass for devs to root. Sure you can use the HTC way but I don't want to do that. How is Samsung when it comes to rooting?

It took me all of 5 minutes to root the Note, most of the being downloading the items needed. The biggest thing is that there is a flash counter and conceivably Samsung could deny repair on your phone after checking your flash counter. There are ways to root without increasing the flash or to reset the flash counter but I don't think there have been any actual cases of Samsung using the flash counter to deny warranty related service on the device based on that. At least that I've found.

Between launcher pro and folder organizer I haven't found the need to root. I'm sure there are some other benefit, but I'm not interested in the headache of it all. I also don't care about ICS on the Note.

From all the threads (I checked here and androidcentral.com), it seems I can lock in my unlimited data plan on my plan (which is due for an upgrade now) by pre-ordering the Galaxy S III through Verizon. I want the phone bad, so it seems simple enough. I would just like the option to pre-order from either Best Buy (for my $50 gift card through their mobile upgrade promotion) or Costco (for the free accessory pack/Costsco awesome-ness). Not sure pre-ordering through either one of those 2 will guarantee my unlimited plan carrying over.

The Galaxy S III was another one I was looking at with my upgrade coming up soon. I saw on Sprint's website they had a 32 gig version but I could not find one on BestBuy.com. I wonder if Best Buy is going to get the 32 gig. I should have a 50 dollar credit from them from that deal they had last year.

I'm still torn between the Note and Galaxy SIII (or iPhone5). My contract is up in mmid-August, so who knows what will be available. The rumors on the NOTE 2 seem too good to be true (flexible/unbreakable disply, quad core, etc etc).

I like the idea of the iPhone and jus tnot having to bother with rooting and it seems that iPhone gets most support....

The S3 is nice also, but the US specs are lacking with only dual core. Also, AT&T is ONLY offering the 16GB, nothing larger. Although, should have SD slot, so that is not a big deal.

The dual core S4 in the Galaxy SIII is actually faster in many usage scenarios than the quad core international version. Reason being that the S4 is based on a new iteration of the ARM Cortex cores and has higher instruction throughput per MHz.

For stat geeks-
Cortex A9 (exynos 4212 found in Galaxy SIII international) - quad core, 2.5 DMIPS/MHz, dual instruction issue (dhrystone million instructions per second)
Cortex A15 (future generation processors) - single to quad core, triple issue, 3.5 DMIPS/MHz
Krait/Qualcomm S4 - single to dual core (for now), triple issue, 3.2 DMIPs/MHz

DMIPS is a standard benchmark ARM using for measuring instruction throughput.

So while the 4212 has higher theoretical computational power, not enough tasks in a mobile environment sufficiently use all 4 cores to make it superior to a dual core CPU where each individual core is faster.

I looked at engadgets review of the s3, seems nice, but in par with the one x. After reading the note2 rumors, I'm excited. I have a Dell streak 5 currently, so smaller would suck

Seems like Samsung will unveil the NOTE 2 August 30th at some event. Hopefully they release it soon after that. I'm still debating what I want next....my contract ends mid-August.
With the current phones on the market (and future phones), I'm debating between the following:
- Galaxy S3
- HTC One X
- Samsung Note 2
- iPhone 5 (not impressed with the form factor that is rumored)

We should get announcements on the new Nexus phones in the fall right? I mean, if the rumors of multiple versions coming from different OEMs is true...

So, who is getting that Samsung Note 2? I cannot wait....come on US release date! Hopefully it is a global release in October....but doubt it, probably November.

Two Cave shooters just released on Android on 8/31: Dosonpachi Resurrection and Espgaluda II. Great news for shmup fans, although they're wrapped in that horrible G-Gee/GMO bloatware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid Google Wallet. I thought the issues were fixed on the Galaxy SIII. I have been trying to purchase The Game of Life and bill it to my Sprint account, but all I keep getting is an error.

bread's done
Back