The Official Android thread.

I'm just worried about how much extra they'll charge for the 32gb version. I'd much rather just get the 16gb and buy a 32gb SD card to stick in it, but of course there's no SD card slot.

Has anybody else gotten spam in their notification? A green plus sign appeared in my notification bar, and it said get your 6 free ringtones now when I dragged the bar down.

I clicked on it and it took me to a random internet page. I closed it before it loaded, but I thought it was really weird.

[quote name='encendido5']Has anybody else gotten spam in their notification? A green plus sign appeared in my notification bar, and it said get your 6 free ringtones now when I dragged the bar down.

I clicked on it and it took me to a random internet page. I closed it before it loaded, but I thought it was really weird.[/QUOTE]

I haven't.

[quote name='encendido5']Has anybody else gotten spam in their notification? A green plus sign appeared in my notification bar, and it said get your 6 free ringtones now when I dragged the bar down.

I clicked on it and it took me to a random internet page. I closed it before it loaded, but I thought it was really weird.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have Android spyware or something... anyway I hope I'll be able to download Android 4 to my Galaxy S II soon. :D

[quote name='Clak']I'm just worried about how much extra they'll charge for the 32gb version. I'd much rather just get the 16gb and buy a 32gb SD card to stick in it, but of course there's no SD card slot.[/QUOTE]

I agree I wish there was a Micro SD card slot, but I figure they left it out because they are trying to push for cloud storage like other companies. Not that I think that's a good idea or bad, I just believe that's where they believe things are going.

I have seen that happen. It's likely just a free app using aggressive ads that are set to be in notifications every 4-6 hours. If your worried just download Lookout and have it check your system.

iPhone 4 owner here but I am liking the Razr but I am on At&t. I like the new Nexus as well but I have never liked the Nexus design, not for me. I wish the Razr had a 720p screen but I don't think it will even matter to me since the screen is so small and I rarely watch any videos on my iPhone anyways. I do like the NFC even though I wouldn't be able to use it anywhere.

So i got an Incredible last December...no upgrade till August 2012 according to Verizon. But would I be able to just sell my Incredible for $100-200 (don't know the going rate) and put that towards a new phone? I don't think my upgrade is a free phone, but rather $100 off a new one or something, right?

To think the kinds of phones that'll come out between now and next August...

[quote name='humidore']So i got an Incredible last December...no upgrade till August 2012 according to Verizon. But would I be able to just sell my Incredible for $100-200 (don't know the going rate) and put that towards a new phone? I don't think my upgrade is a free phone, but rather $100 off a new one or something, right?

To think the kinds of phones that'll come out between now and next August...[/QUOTE]

You can get probably $125 for the incredible, after fees. And if you upgrade early, you're not eligible for the $299 price, so it'll be...whatever MSRP is, so like $599 or so.

hey has anyone gotten hit by that OZMail spam lately? Ever since I got my Charge, I've gotten about 72+ texts from them since June. Use to be once a month but now over the past 4 days it's been like 16 times a day. :( Verizon's tech support is useless!

[quote name='elessar123']You can get probably $125 for the incredible, after fees. And if you upgrade early, you're not eligible for the $299 price, so it'll be...whatever MSRP is, so like $599 or so.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me about the retail price...balls.

[quote name='ITDEFX']hey has anyone gotten hit by that OZMail spam lately? Ever since I got my Charge, I've gotten about 72+ texts from them since June. Use to be once a month but now over the past 4 days it's been like 16 times a day. :( Verizon's tech support is useless![/QUOTE]
Supposedly it's some email to text service. Verizon is supposed to be able to turn off that ability from your account.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']
I have seen that happen. It's likely just a free app using aggressive ads that are set to be in notifications every 4-6 hours. If your worried just download Lookout and have it check your system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I am really looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus. Everything about the phone looks great, and I decided long ago that if I stuck with Android, I would be getting a Nexus device so it stays current with updates and has no bloatware. I am fine with rooting and custom roms, but don't want to HAVE to do that to get a functional phone, or I might as well get an iPhone and jailbreak it.
I think ICS looks pretty great. At first I was bummed because, although they say they are trying to make it nicer looking, I think it still looks kind of lame (the icons mostly - stuff like the new contacts (people I think) look really nice). Going into the event, I was thinking that if it didn't look smooth and shiny, I would jump to an iPhone, since Apple has stolen all of the best Android features now. But then ICS has so many new amazing features, I just can't say no. I'd be too jealous. They may be gimmicky but it's a phone. I expect gimmiky, and I even want gimmicky.

• Face unlock looks cool, if it works more reliably than the demo, but from other videos it seems to work really well, and fast. All we need is a Siri clone and it's getting closer and closer to HAL.
  • Panoramic pictures look slick, along with the editing stuff which I am less thrilled about but am glad to see coming along. No lag pics on the Nexus looks very nice.
  • Text as you speak is cool, and I've seen Google mentioning more and more about instant gratification with search, so it was neat to see it come into play in Android.
  • Android Beam is probably the thing I am least excited about :p

I hope the phone is good in other areas like battery life. But after Apple "changed everything again" with the 4S (read: one new (admittedly awesome) feature not found in Android), but Android added so many game-changing features and tweaks... I think Android has this one for me.

See, one of my biggest gripes with Apple is a lack of an sd card slot in the iPhone. If I look the other way for Android, I'd be a hypocrite. I don't know what Google's reasoning is, but not making the memory expandable is a real Apple move, and I'm not going to encourage that.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Rooted my Droid Charge yesterday with GummyCharged GBE (Gingerbread)...pretty awesome so far.[/QUOTE]
I've been having data issues with mine, keeps dropping any and all data signals, no 4G, 3G, not even 1x. Happened on the way home from a vacation about a week ago and I couldn't even use google navigator because it couldn't download the map. That really, really pissed me off. The goon at the Verizon store was no help either. I'm going to call phone support and bitch to them, see what I can get done.

I just can't believe that after dealing with all the BS that was the Fascinate, now I'm going through it with this too. I'd ask for a different phone, but I know that isn't going to happen.

Does anyone think it's a good idea for me to root my phone in it's current state? with all the apps I have installed, it seems a bit sluggish and laggy at times in responses. I am afraid I am going to brick it or cause it to screw up even more.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Does anyone think it's a good idea for me to root my phone in it's current state? with all the apps I have installed, it seems a bit sluggish and laggy at times in responses.[/QUOTE]

That's how I am too. Especially now, without LauncherPro updates, I think it's also becoming a memory hog.

[quote name='elessar123']That's how I am too. Especially now, without LauncherPro updates, I think it's also becoming a memory hog.[/QUOTE]

should i do a factory wipe?

[quote name='Clak']I've been having data issues with mine, keeps dropping any and all data signals, no 4G, 3G, not even 1x. Happened on the way home from a vacation about a week ago and I couldn't even use google navigator because it couldn't download the map. That really, really pissed me off. The goon at the Verizon store was no help either. I'm going to call phone support and bitch to them, see what I can get done.

I just can't believe that after dealing with all the BS that was the Fascinate, now I'm going through it with this too. I'd ask for a different phone, but I know that isn't going to happen.[/QUOTE]

Is that on Froyo stock or have you rooted? I haven't had any data issues...I mean it has happened once or twice here or there, I turn the data off/on and it works.

It's the stock rom, just rooted. Apparently Verizon had a little data outage on the 16th, and ever since then it seems like my phone just randomly loses the data connection. When it happened coming home it took me pulling the battery 3 times to get it to work. The Verizon store dullard said he "reset" the data (what I'd already done half a dozen times) and said if that didn't work they'd switch it out. The thing is though, it's a known issue with this phone. They just haven't gotten the damn software update out for it yet.

Wish I could get them to switch this out like they did my Fascinate.

[quote name='Clak']See, one of my biggest gripes with Apple is a lack of an sd card slot in the iPhone. If I look the other way for Android, I'd be a hypocrite. I don't know what Google's reasoning is, but not making the memory expandable is a real Apple move, and I'm not going to encourage that.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, not including an SD card slot is a phone by phone decision, and not really an Android one. I see what you're saying, but regardless of if my phone has an SD card slot, I usually can buy an Android phone with one. To me, that choice is what's important.

I think the reason the SD card slot was left out of the Nexus S and now the Galaxy Nexus is because Google is moving more and more to the cloud. This is another reason I don't really care about having an SD card slot, since I don't think I'd ever use it. All of my music is in Google Music, and that's what would take the most amount of space. If I didn't have a tablet, I might want to use that big, beautiful screen for watching videos. Point being, some users will like this phone not having what would be for them an unnecessary feature that would *maybe* drive the price up. For those that don't like it, Android has choices.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I think the reason the SD card slot was left out of the Nexus S and now the Galaxy Nexus is because Google is moving more and more to the cloud. This is another reason I don't really care about having an SD card slot, since I don't think I'd ever use it. All of my music is in Google Music, and that's what would take the most amount of space.[/QUOTE]

See, I would love to use the cloud, if the world had 100% coverage. Even my office has -96dB~-97dB signal most days, and there are days where I can't get a signal at all. I filled my DX's 16gb first day, since I used to run around with a 40GB and 30GB mp3 player, and had to selectively cut out more than half.

[quote name='elessar123']See, I would love to use the cloud, if the world had 100% coverage. Even my office has -96dB~-97dB signal most days, and there are days where I can't get a signal at all. I filled my DX's 16gb first day, since I used to run around with a 40GB and 30GB mp3 player, and had to selectively cut out more than half.[/QUOTE]

Plus wouldn't using an SD card save on battery compared to streaming media on 4G? I really hope the batter on the Nexus Galaxy can last a little. I lose ~20% of battery with about half an hour of use on my HTC Incredible, so even a slight improvement would make me happy.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']To be fair, not including an SD card slot is a phone by phone decision, and not really an Android one. I see what you're saying, but regardless of if my phone has an SD card slot, I usually can buy an Android phone with one. To me, that choice is what's important.

I think the reason the SD card slot was left out of the Nexus S and now the Galaxy Nexus is because Google is moving more and more to the cloud. This is another reason I don't really care about having an SD card slot, since I don't think I'd ever use it. All of my music is in Google Music, and that's what would take the most amount of space. If I didn't have a tablet, I might want to use that big, beautiful screen for watching videos. Point being, some users will like this phone not having what would be for them an unnecessary feature that would *maybe* drive the price up. For those that don't like it, Android has choices.[/QUOTE]
I've tried the cloud services, and while it's a neat idea, it's no substitute for having the files there with you. Streaming music is one thing, but they aren't really any good video streaming options. I used to use Amazon to stream music, but lose connection too iften to make it really practical. Plus with more and more carriers limiting data plans, I think these cloud services may end up stalling.

But I said that because this is Google's phone, the only one they have a direct part in. So like I said, I can't fault Apple for something and look the other way for another company.

[quote name='humidore']Plus wouldn't using an SD card save on battery compared to streaming media on 4G? I really hope the batter on the Nexus Galaxy can last a little. I lose ~20% of battery with about half an hour of use on my HTC Incredible, so even a slight improvement would make me happy.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you'd better believe it. Streaming is always going to eat up your battery, especially on a 4G signal.

Only thing that I tend to use the cloud for on my phone is Google Music. I like the SD card for my apps. If my EVO 4G didn't have the SD card I would not be able to have most the apps on it I do have. Other than that I don't really need the SD card.

Speaking of Google Music does anyone know of a way to get it to stop reading files on your phone? I have a recording that I made for my ringtone and Google Music had it listed in with all my music. So if I put it on shuffle that has a chance to pop up. I have had audio books on my phone and had the same issue. When I contacted Google they told me I must have put it in the cloud. After searching my Google Music to make sure I never saw it. Once it was deleted from my phone it was no longer listed.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is that on Froyo stock or have you rooted? I haven't had any data issues...I mean it has happened once or twice here or there, I turn the data off/on and it works.[/QUOTE]

Of course I jinxed myself...today I've had a lot of data issues, had to reboot the phone to get the data to come up 2x's. I'm thinking Verizon is having some issues, if it continues tomorrow I'll have to call them up and bitch.

Also, I read somewhere that Verizon will throttle your speed if you use data a lot, and I'm currently at a little over 5GBs...I watch a lot of Netflix ;)

It's a known issue with the phone too, that it has a hard time managing data signals, especially switching between 4g and 3g.

[quote name='sendme']Speaking of Google Music does anyone know of a way to get it to stop reading files on your phone? I have a recording that I made for my ringtone and Google Music had it listed in with all my music. So if I put it on shuffle that has a chance to pop up. I have had audio books on my phone and had the same issue. When I contacted Google they told me I must have put it in the cloud. After searching my Google Music to make sure I never saw it. Once it was deleted from my phone it was no longer listed.[/QUOTE]

Try putting it in a folder with am empty file named. ".nomedia". A ringtones folder, for example.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Of course I jinxed myself...today I've had a lot of data issues, had to reboot the phone to get the data to come up 2x's. I'm thinking Verizon is having some issues, if it continues tomorrow I'll have to call them up and bitch.

Also, I read somewhere that Verizon will throttle your speed if you use data a lot, and I'm currently at a little over 5GBs...I watch a lot of Netflix ;)[/QUOTE]

This is true LP. I read somewhere a few weeks back that one guy pulled 50gb of data, then a few days later another guy pulled 120gb of data...WHOLEY SHEEITT! :hot: That's some crazy netflixing.

Just got the Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic Touch (what a name) today and so far I'm liking it. i was an iphone user so still trying to figure everything out that the android os has to offer.

Any apps I should get or any that you guys fin helpful or use on a daily basis?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Just got the Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic Touch (what a name) today and so far I'm liking it. i was an iphone user so still trying to figure everything out that the android os has to offer.

Any apps I should get or any that you guys fin helpful or use on a daily basis?[/QUOTE]

There's a list or two at the beginning of the thread.

Two of my most used apps are ColorNote and Astro, but the latter had a crappy update recently, so I haven't updated it.

Some apps I use maybe once a month are FlashLight, StopWatch & Timer, and RealCalc.

These don't include well-know things like yelp.

I'd check out ADW EX, it's a home screen replacement, in case you don't like the Touchwiz that came on the phone. There is also Widgetlocker, which lets you change up your lock screen and customize all sorts of things with it.

[quote name='Clak']I'd check out ADW EX, it's a home screen replacement, in case you don't like the Touchwiz that came on the phone. There is also Widgetlocker, which lets you change up your lock screen and customize all sorts of things with it.[/QUOTE]

Another one to try is Go Launcher Ex which is free. Has a decent selection of Icon packs and custom features. It also just released Go Locker by the same people which is similar to Widget Locker but like I said Go Locker is brand new so it hasn't come out with anywhere close to as many options.

But I do find the Go Dev teams apps a great free alternative, especially for people who does not want to spend the money and/or just try out a launcher to see if they like it.

I ran Lookout when I first saw this, but it didn't find anything. Today, I got a star sign in my notification bar that said "Track your partner". I clicked on it and it took me to m.mquizzes.us. It's a subscription service that charges $9.99 per month if I click on the locate button. Hopefully just going to the website isn't enough to get charged. fuckers... I might have to reset my phone.

I hope when ICS comes out I can put it on my Galaxy S2. Such a great phone.. I tried Cyanogenmod 7 but didn't like it.. I'm used to the stock OS and it almost does everything I want. It'll be great to have the definitive version of Android... without all the OS fragmentation issues.

So much for gummycharged gbe 2.1, my phone died last night and it got stuck on the samsung logo. I have a feeling it had to do with DST as it happened right around that time.

Can't get my phone to boot up now :bomb:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So much for gummycharged gbe 2.1, my phone died last night and it got stuck on the samsung logo. I have a feeling it had to do with DST as it happened right around that time.

Can't get my phone to boot up now :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Ooops... glad I didn't root it ...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']About 5 hours of troubleshooting and so far I've realized that my SD card took a dump. Formatted, trying to repair, but still no luck UGH![/QUOTE]

Yea I can't imagine the SD card being the problem. Something got corrupted in the internal OS. Maybe this is verizon's sneaky bastard's way of saying "DON'T fuck WITH THE PHONES!(cause we do it better!) lol"

Anyways I am starting to regret not getting that by back program. It's been less than 6 months and the phone already has dropped in price in some places...heck my new job I could have gotten the charge for 30 bucks! :(

Has anyone had any issues with Netflix since the new updates for Android Phones? I am getting a lot of Cannot playback issues and when it does go, the quality is horrible. I just tested it on Wifi and it was fine (DS9), but when I go to 4g mode, the quality is SHIT. How do I find out if I am throttled? I haven't done excessive Netflixing so I stay around 1g-1.5g a month.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']About 5 hours of troubleshooting and so far I've realized that my SD card took a dump. Formatted, trying to repair, but still no luck UGH![/QUOTE]

IDK if this is what you mean, but my SD card fin my OG Droid got messed up sometime back. I formatted it in windows and nothing. However, if I remember correctly, my phone allowed me to format it itself, and I think that's what fixed it eventually.

edit: it sounds like, looking back at your posts, the sd card is not the only problem... so, sorry, probably of no help.

Last edited by a moderator:
My HTC mail app is malfunctioning with my primary yahoo accounts and is in general just not syncing my mail as it should be. I've checked all the sync settings and it's set to sync every day of the week every 15 minutes.

I've set up and removed K9 several times.. it's more of a battery hog and there are some things about it I really don't like... but if the default app isn't functioning properly I don't think I have any choice but to just shift to something else.

If only the gmail app allowed other pop/imap accounts...

Have you tried Touchdown? I've heard that it's pretty good. I've used K9 for a while and like it personally.

Android 4 source is out.. already a usable developer build for the Nexus S.. looks like the Galaxy S2 build is coming soon too.

bread's done
Back