The Official Android thread.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']Anyone trying the Droid Bionic ARena scavenger hunt?[/QUOTE]

No they took it off the market for the OG DROID. I tried running it and it kept crashing and turning my phone into a handwarmer.. No thanks.. this was just perfect as I needed a new phone anyways...

[quote name='Sinistar']No they took it off the market for the OG DROID. I tried running it and it kept crashing and turning my phone into a handwarmer.. No thanks.. this was just perfect as I needed a new phone anyways...[/QUOTE]

I heard about that. I heard Droid-Life has an .APK for the DROID. They say it's still not 100% consistent but it is suppose to work.

All the App lets me do is Build Bionic, never allowing me to hunt. Does anyone know if this is because the Sweepstakes technically hasn't opened?

Last edited by a moderator:
So whats the new trend for sprint phones? I left sprint to go to VM but miss the qualitu phones/gaming I could do and thinking of going back

Did you root your Droid Charge yet Clak? I'm tempted to get the Gummy Charged Rom, but I'm still a bit skeptical as I'm not really having any issues with my phone besides blue-tooth. (which I know it won't fix)

Same issues I had with the Fascinate, disconnects from Blue-tooth as "lost connection" throughout my calls.

So got a surprise yesterday when I woke my phone up and saw that there was an update available for android 2.3.4 (I'm on an incredible). Did the update when I got to work and impressed with how much better everything seems to run. HTC Sense animations look better , apps run faster , ect.

[quote name='StarKnightX']So got a surprise yesterday when I woke my phone up and saw that there was an update available for android 2.3.4 (I'm on an incredible). Did the update when I got to work and impressed with how much better everything seems to run. HTC Sense animations look better , apps run faster , ect.[/QUOTE]
Haven't gotten my update yet, but I hope to god it does something about the"low memory" glitch that's forced me to factory reset 4 times in a couple months. I've kept from reinstalling some apps in fear it'll come back.

I have two droid incredibles here, both waiting for an update still. I am not sure exactly how fast they are rolling it out anyways so we'll see.

Just wanted to drop in and say Hi. I just switched from a 3GS on AT&T to an Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. Been almost exactly 24 hours since I switched, and I'm really enjoying it. Kinda sad it took me so long to switch, honestly - very happy (so far) with Android.

Anyone else here with the V, and any suggestions for apps or whatnot for it? I've got most of the basics, I think, but I'm just now starting to get into Widgets and haven't even started to look at Launchers.

So I've run into a bit of an issue. I'm losing a ton of battery life overnight, when my phone isn't in use (consistently 45% of the battery).

I didn't have this problem when I ran Auto Memory Manager, but I deleted it after hearing from just about everyone that those apps don't really save you any battery life.

So what's going on? and any suggestions for a good program that manage your battery life?

Just got my Droid Bionic this evening. Very cool phone, will take me awhile to get used to it since I've been using a Blackberry the last 2 years.

I would be if the thing had a micro sd slot. Every place I have looked it seems it just uses what is built in and amazon's cloud.

I'm still enjoying my Mytouch 4g Slide, even though it is made of dark matter.

I'm letting my 1.5 year old play with it and he's not exactly gentle... there isn't a single ding on this thing yet - it's build like a tank.

My only complaint about the phone is that the keyboard is a tiny bit squishy sometimes - I needed to train myself to be deliberate about how I typed on it or I'd be inaccurate with it.

[quote name='sendme']I would be if the thing had a micro sd slot. Every place I have looked it seems it just uses what is built in and amazon's cloud.[/QUOTE]

Oh, it doesn't have one? Wow... Fail.

Don't quote me on that Vip. I just have not seen it listed so I'm going to guess that it does not. I'm thinking about just getting a tablet with honeycomb on it if I can ever get my demonoid account back up or an invite so I can get another account.

Yeah everything I've read says the Fire won't have a SD card slot. The thing is essentially a BlackBerry Playbook though, even made by the same company. The SD card slot thing is annoying though, that pretty much kills it for me.

I'm thinking about getting the HTC Flyer instead now. It is only 300 but I'm holding out till the Honeycomb update is on it. I don't trust HTC to put it on so I might just get a Samsung tab.

Nope, tied to your google account. they'll work on any device setup with that account. Just use that same google account on your new phone and it'll be fine.

Am I taking crazy pills, or is anyone else confused as to why people are going nuts over the Siri voice controls in the new iPhone...?

I mean, my G1 had voice controls that did most of the same stuff 2.5 years ago and my MT4gS, and most of the other mytouch line phones, had the genius button that does EXACTLY the same stuff.

Perhaps the target demographic doesn't keep up on competing technology, so it's amazing because it's new to them...?

Edit: actually, i did a bit more reading and Siri is actually impressive; it supports natural language, like "what is the weather like today", where android might support the specific command "weather". It's actually an impressive addition. Time will tell if the prepared demo made it look more impressive than it actually will be or not.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/o...-lets-tal.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

[quote name='BattleChicken']
Perhaps the target demographic doesn't keep up on competing technology, so it's amazing because it's new to them...?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. iOS is playing major catchup with Android, but the iPhone is perceived as the superior device because of Apple's marketing and status symbol.

I see people on my Facebook, stating, "WOW! 8MP camera!" that's great, but my 1.5 year old EVO has been doing everything this phone has, plus much more. :/

The Nexus Prime will blow the iPhone 4S out of the water, but no one will notice.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GT-i9250 + SCH-i515)
Announcement: 10/11/2011 @ CTIA
Release Date: 11/3/2011 (per cryptic tweet)
First to market with Ice Cream Sandwich OS (2.4.1)
Verizon Wireless exclusive at first, will trickle down to other carriers in the months ahead
Contoured 4.65 inch SAMOLED+ @ 1280x720
1.5GHz TI OMAP 4460 Dual Core SoC
PowerVR SGX 540 @ 384MHz
1GB RAM
5MP Camera + advanced sensors (1080p recording/playback)
2MP front facing camera
MHL (proprietary port by Samsung that acts as a charging/HDMI port)
NFC ready (Google Wallet)
CDMA/GSM/LTE ready (will eventually be available on all 4 U.S carriers)
Will be ~8.8mm thick (as thick as current AT&T SGS II LTE phone)
No physical/capacitive buttons except for Power, volume buttons

gsmarena_001.jpg

Anybody have recommendations as the possible "best" Android phone on AT&T?
Only reason I haven't switched to Verizon is because I'd lose my unlimited data plan that I was grandfathered into on AT&T. (And Sprint and T-Mobile suck around here; ATT and Verizon are both good.) Plus, I get an 18% service discount with AT&T.

Would like to test out the "best" one before I decide if I'm going to use my upgrade to move to the iPhone 4S. (Yeah, yeah...don't care to start arguing. I like the Android OS just fine, too.)

[quote name='Rig']Anybody have recommendations as the possible "best" Android phone on AT&T?
Only reason I haven't switched to Verizon is because I'd lose my unlimited data plan that I was grandfathered into on AT&T. (And Sprint and T-Mobile suck around here; ATT and Verizon are both good.) Plus, I get an 18% service discount with AT&T.

Would like to test out the "best" one before I decide if I'm going to use my upgrade to move to the iPhone 4S. (Yeah, yeah...don't care to start arguing. I like the Android OS just fine, too.)[/QUOTE]

Galaxy S II: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung-galaxy-s2.jsp#fbid=doiuq4lII2-

[quote name='BattleChicken']Am I taking crazy pills, or is anyone else confused as to why people are going nuts over the Siri voice controls in the new iPhone...?

I mean, my G1 had voice controls that did most of the same stuff 2.5 years ago and my MT4gS, and most of the other mytouch line phones, had the genius button that does EXACTLY the same stuff.

Perhaps the target demographic doesn't keep up on competing technology, so it's amazing because it's new to them...?

Edit: actually, i did a bit more reading and Siri is actually impressive; it supports natural language, like "what is the weather like today", where android might support the specific command "weather". It's actually an impressive addition. Time will tell if the prepared demo made it look more impressive than it actually will be or not.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/o...-lets-tal.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news[/QUOTE]
Apple has created it's own closed ecosystem basically. Inside no information is received that doesn't come from Apple itself. So unless the tech is in the newest iProduct, it's existence isn't known.

Verizon first for the Nexus Prime, rats. Planned on switching over to Sprint from At&t (will be about $40 cheaper on a family plan) to get the next Nexus phone in November (when my contract expires).

[quote name='BattleChicken']Am I taking crazy pills, or is anyone else confused as to why people are going nuts over the Siri voice controls in the new iPhone...?

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/o...-lets-tal.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news[/QUOTE]

Google might be working on this. I read that they are working on making some big changes to Google Search. I read it on some article that I found on Pulse. It was about Siri and things on Android that are like it.

I'm curious what will be available next August when my contract is up?!!??! Crazy how new stuff just keeps coming....I would assume we will be on the next Android version by then at the rate they move. Jellybean or something.

Mine is up in August also. With how things have been for the past year I'm wondering the same thing. I'm getting by with my EVO being rooted and running Sense 3.0. If it was not for the lock screen I would upgrade to ICS. Might even upgrade to it anyway when or if a rom comes out.

Yeah, I have a Dell Streak. I know the device got panned, but I love it. My problem is that screen size matters now. My wife has an iPhone and it is soooo tiny. I need at LEAST a 4.5" screen moving forward now. I'd be tempted to go to the darkside with an iPhone if they did something with their screen. The Samsung Note looks sweet though.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']Well what is everyone's verdict on Galaxy Nexus/Ice cream Sandwich? http://www.google.com/nexus/[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I was super-excited, because it's the first phone I've been wanting to replace my DX with, but I'm slightly less enthusiastic about it now, especially cause of the Galaxy tie. I ned to see it in person, because most Samsung phones feel like cheap plastic to me.

I was excited for dual core + 4G plus the pure android experience, but I'll wait for info on battery life and signal strength as well.

Yeah I'm kind of let down too. Not that the Galaxy Nexus isn't nice and all, but it doesn't blow me away. ICS seems cool though, but the phone doesn't strike me as being much better than say the Galaxy S2. And why they insist on doing the Apple thing and excluding an SD card slot is beyond me.

I like the Galaxy Nexus, I still would have liked them to stick with the Nexus Prime name. I figure it will be my next phone, with hopeful regular updates from Google I think it will maintain my interest longer than some of the other Verizon Androids. I won't be eligible for upgrade until January/February, I may change my mind before then.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']I like the Galaxy Nexus, I still would have liked them to stick with the Nexus Prime name. I figure it will be my next phone, with hopeful regular updates from Google I think it will maintain my interest longer than some of the other Verizon Androids. I won't be eligible for upgrade until January/February, I may change my mind before then.[/QUOTE]

Lol, that's my situation, down to every word.

bread's done
Back