The Official E-Bay Scalping Thread

any thoughts on how 20 gig system pricing might end up?

With the slash to available consoles, the 20 gig ones may do better than anticipated, but since the 60 gig ones are the desired consoles, I really don't know.

If anyone could make a little guide on how to sell a PS3 on eBay, and how much to expect to make from it and such, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting a 20 gig but I'm thinking about flipping it, and would like to know how and such.

[quote name='dark54555']any thoughts on how 20 gig system pricing might end up?

With the slash to available consoles, the 20 gig ones may do better than anticipated, but since the 60 gig ones are the desired consoles, I really don't know.[/quote]

20gb will likely go for around 1200 I'm betting. They're hitting a little over a 1000 now, and will likely spike to 1500 after launch.

I did end up cancelling my auction, and I'm glad I did. As Ebay prices are more closer to 2000 today, and will totally sky rocket on the first day, and level off there after.

Great thread. I'm a first time ebay seller but a long time buyer. Any advice on the best way to sell my PS3 would be great. I have no idea what I should make the opening bid for? 99 cents, $10, $100?

Damn this is kind of exciting... I'm going to be listing mine as soon as I pick it up - probably on Friday evening. Should I do a 24 hour auction or 3 days? What's the general consensus? Having a PS3 auction end every minute isn't that desirable - I don't want to get lost in the shuffle...

[quote name='pop311']How many days did it take the 360 to die down a TINY bit?[/quote]

Took about 48 hours for prices to slow down, and w/ in 3-4 days it had leveled to around 800, and slowly dropped all the way to 600-550 by xmas. Some spikes here and there due to second shipment, but nothing major.

Also I like to list high, but no matter what you start your listing it, it doesn't matter as people will bid it up. For this a .99 starting listing will be more then enough as it will be bid up fast, it's random, but I believe starting high, gets people inthe mentality that this is expensive and will up bidding just a little. It's not a proven fact, just a philosophy of mine. It costs an extra 3-4 dollars for insertion fees, but I think it's worth it. It works great on toys.

One day is the best way, and a ps3 auctions will be ending couple of seconds NO MATTER WHAT in the first couple of days, and then it will cool.

I promise you though that the best prices will be in the first 48 hours, while the adrenaline is still pumping about the launch and the media is going crazy, after that they will slowly drop off, eventually to around 900 I'm betting right near xmas, as in the 22nd, or the last day for shipping.

[quote name='DJ K8E']If anyone could make a little guide on how to sell a PS3 on eBay, and how much to expect to make from it and such, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting a 20 gig but I'm thinking about flipping it, and would like to know how and such.[/QUOTE]

Look around the goddamned thread. Thanks.

Ebay just closed my listing, even though I met all their requirements. They asked me to send over a copy of my ID, a credit card bill, a signed document stating I have read the Ebay User policy, and documentation of my purchase of the Playstation 3.

What a pain in the ass, I did fax it over to them though. Hopefully they will reinstate my selling ability soon.

Just got the call from EBGames. I was #12. Only getting in 6.

This scks @$$!

Also, walmart.com went live with their $1400 bundle which was gone in a few minutes.

[quote name='Doom5']Ebay just closed my listing, even though I met all their requirements. They asked me to send over a copy of my ID, a credit card bill, a signed document stating I have read the Ebay User policy, and documentation of my purchase of the Playstation 3.

What a pain in the ass, I did fax it over to them though. Hopefully they will reinstate my selling ability soon.[/QUOTE]

Jesus. Makes me wanna go to Craigslist or my local paper.

This could end up being quite the fiasco. With the amount of these I expect up on eBay combined with a general lack of eBay knowledge by many of the PS3 profiteers, this could really end up with a lot of people being scammed, both sellers and buyers.

15 lbs in box I believe is the estimated weight. It will cost a lot to overnight it, depending on zip code.

Soo, this isn't quite breaking news, but could be huge to all the Ebayers out there hoping for multiple systems at launch. FYE Will get 0 preorders from sony. None. My store said sony cut ALL their shipments for the launch. Needless to say, all the ebayers out their who went to every FYE, waaaay back in Dec. just got screwed.

[quote name='Rimmit']15 lbs in box I believe is the estimated weight. It will cost a lot to overnight it, depending on zip code.

Soo, this isn't quite breaking news, but could be huge to all the Ebayers out there hoping for multiple systems at launch. FYE Will get 0 preorders from sony. None. My store said sony cut ALL their shipments for the launch. Needless to say, all the ebayers out their who went to every FYE, waaaay back in Dec. just got screwed.[/QUOTE]

The system alone is just under 11, so 15 is probably what you should predict your shipping costs around, to be safe.

Sucks for FYE; did they do Sony wrong to get 0 systems, or what?

[quote name='mykevermin']The system alone is just under 11, so 15 is probably what you should predict your shipping costs around, to be safe.

Sucks for FYE; did they do Sony wrong to get 0 systems, or what?[/quote]

No allocations are being cut left and right. Gamestop's got cut. Amazon is receiving FAR less than they anticipated, Walmart's got cut by about half. I guess smaller regional retailers like FYE just don't have the numbers.

[quote name='mykevermin']Look around the goddamned thread. Thanks.[/quote]
I did. Just looking for it in concise, non spread out terms. I haven't ever sold anything on the eBay So how about you quiet the hell down. Probably not going to even go down this road now, considering some of the posts.

[quote name='Rimmit']
Soo, this isn't quite breaking news, but could be huge to all the Ebayers out there hoping for multiple systems at launch. FYE Will get 0 preorders from sony. None. My store said sony cut ALL their shipments for the launch. Needless to say, all the ebayers out their who went to every FYE, waaaay back in Dec. just got screwed.[/QUOTE]

I know its slightly off topic, but any word on the Wii allocations at FYE? I pre-ordered mine there a couple of months ago and was #2 on the list. I don't think its going to be nearly as hard to find as the PS3, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to need a plan B to score one for my 8 year old (and me!) for X-mas.

How does this look for an ebay ad? Can anyone think of anything else to add or any suggestions to make it more attractive (besides pictures, which I will include)?

This auction is for a PREMIUM (60GB) Sony Playstation 3. The system is brand new, sealed in box, and comes with the original receipt (required for Sony warranty).

The item will be shipped overnight for FREE to the winning bidder. Included in shipping will be (insurance, confirmation, blah blah)

This auction is only available to bidders in the continental United States.

Please email me with any questions you may have regarding this auction, shipping, or the item up for sale.

Bidders with "0" or negative feedback must contact seller prior to bidding on the item. Payment is expected within 24 hours of auction end. Thanks, and happy bidding!

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']How does this look for an ebay ad? Can anyone think of anything else to add or any suggestions to make it more attractive (besides pictures, which I will include)?

This auction is for a PREMIUM (60GB) Sony Playstation 3. The system is brand new, sealed in box, and comes with the original receipt (required for Sony warranty).

The item will be shipped overnight for FREE to the winning bidder. Included in shipping will be (insurance, confirmation, blah blah)

Please email me with any questions you may have regarding this auction, shipping, or the item up for sale.

Bidders with "0" or negative feedback must contact seller prior to bidding on the item. Payment is expected within 24 hours of auction end. Thanks, and happy bidding![/quote]I wouldn't include the "blah blah". Your listing should look as legit and professional as possible. Also, an actual photo of the PS3 would help a lot too...the more, the better. A lot of sellers have also been known to attach a piece of paper with their ebay username with the console to further prove they actually have the system.

And I don't think it matters at all what you start the listing at. The prices will skyrocket anyways and I doubt anyone is going to be looking at the original starting price (especially if it's like 0.01) to gauge how much they should actually bid. I sold 3 xbox 360's last year and started all of my auctions at 0.01. I can't remember the exact price they went for but it was as high as any other auction.

*edit* I just realized the "besides pictures" bit, so the only thing I might add is just the contents of the box and exactly what they are getting. A few people were duped last year and ended up buying an empty box thinking it had the actual system inside. Thanks to them, you have to make it very clear what you're selling these days.

I'd say scratch the overnight shipping. That will really be cutting into your profits. You should probably say you'll ship it UPS ground for free, but will be willing to overnight it for an additional fee.

I was just using the blah blah part as filler for now until I know what I'm actually including with the shipping.

Is standard UPS ground shipping the general consensus on the best way to go? Then upgrading it for a fee?

Anyone else have some tips on this ad that haven't been mentioned yet?

[quote name='mick16']I know its slightly off topic, but any word on the Wii allocations at FYE? I pre-ordered mine there a couple of months ago and was #2 on the list. I don't think its going to be nearly as hard to find as the PS3, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to need a plan B to score one for my 8 year old (and me!) for X-mas.[/quote]

Wii's are good to go. I asked when they called. They'll fulfill all their preorders.

Does ebay have any requirements once the launch gets under way? Like when you actually have the PS3, got a pic of it, and than sell it on ebay?

Not that I'll get one Friday (I'm #11 or 12 in preorders), but has anyone thought about offering a "rebate" ($50 or so) when people post positive feedback? This is, of course, a means of avoding scam buyers or claims of receiving a 15 pound "p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-POWERBOOK!," for example. You get your feedback, offer them the rebate, and then everything is kosher on your end. Could it be that simple?

Perhaps this is a violation of eBay policy?

I just realized that all those scalpers who presold their PS3 from EB, and are not getting one might end up losing a chunck of money to eBay fees and to PayPal, if the Buyer has no patience and demands a refund. All he or she has to do is file a complaint about not getting their item, that was stated as guaranteed to them on a certain date (near all auctions said guaranteed). Ha, too bad for the sellers. This will be an interesting turn out. The ball really is in the buyers court.

The zero feedback really dosen't matter as long as they have a confirmed and verified PayPal account. Just set your setting up in that fashion. Any thing else will probably end up being a scam. I don't think ebay will allow any thing but Pp?

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']How does this look for an ebay ad? Can anyone think of anything else to add or any suggestions to make it more attractive (besides pictures, which I will include)?

Bidders with "0" or negative feedback must contact seller prior to bidding on the item. Payment is expected within 24 hours of auction end. Thanks, and happy bidding![/quote]

[quote name='Rimmit']Wii's are good to go. I asked when they called. They'll fulfill all their preorders.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

This might be a stupid question, but I haven't seen it addressed here yet, so I'll ask anyway. Somebody who has sold a few things before on ebay (which is a few more than me) suggested only accepting a bank check or money order for payment to avoid having a scamming buyer try to get their money back through Paypal after the PS3 has been sent. I can see the logic in that, but I'm also thinking it would turn away a lot of potential buyers who would feel they have no protection from being scammed themselves by an unscrupulous seller without Paypal. Any thoughts on this?

[quote name='Danimal']This might be a stupid question, but I haven't seen it addressed here yet, so I'll ask anyway. Somebody who has sold a few things before on ebay (which is a few more than me) suggested only accepting a bank check or money order for payment to avoid having a scamming buyer try to get their money back through Paypal after the PS3 has been sent. I can see the logic in that, but I'm also thinking it would turn away a lot of potential buyers who would feel they have no protection from being scammed themselves by an unscrupulous seller without Paypal. Any thoughts on this?[/quote]

Pay attention to your PayPal account. Immediately upon payment transfer the money into your bank account - PayPal can't touch it there. You aren't going to ship until you have the money so I don't see how you could possibly get burned on this. Also, take plenty of pictures of the system, you boxing it up, putting the buyer's address on there, etc. to cover your ass in case a claim is made. I'd also ship via FedEx and require a signature for delivery. I think the worry, if anything, is on the buyer because you could always ship a box of rocks to him.

[quote name='javeryh']Pay attention to your PayPal account. Immediately upon payment transfer the money into your bank account - PayPal can't touch it there. You aren't going to ship until you have the money so I don't see how you could possibly get burned on this. Also, take plenty of pictures of the system, you boxing it up, putting the buyer's address on there, etc. to cover your ass in case a claim is made. I'd also ship via FedEx and require a signature for delivery. I think the worry, if anything, is on the buyer because you could always ship a box of rocks to him.[/quote]

This is false. First of all Paypal has been putting a hold on PS3 payments and credits so you don't get your money right away. If the buyer complains, they will just take the money that was on hold.

Second, even if you transfered the money to your bank account, paypal has been known to illegally dip into your bank account, and if that fails, then they WILL send a collection agency to you and try to ruin your credit if you fail to pay. Read all about it at paypalsucks.com

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']This is false. First of all Paypal has been putting a hold on PS3 payments and credits so you don't get your money right away. If the buyer complains, they will just take the money that was on hold.

Second, even if you transfered the money to your bank account, paypal has been known to illegally dip into your bank account, and if that fails, then they WILL send a collection agency to you and try to ruin your credit if you fail to pay. Read all about it at paypalsucks.com[/quote]

What?? I'm not shipping a thing until I have cash in hand. This means going to the bank and withdrawing whatever I sell the PS3 for from my separate bank account set up specifically for Paypal transactions. I'm not going to scam anyone, I'm going to take tons of pictures of everything and if I get a signature then the buyer has accepted the goods and that is that.

[quote name='javeryh']What?? I'm not shipping a thing until I have cash in hand. This means going to the bank and withdrawing whatever I sell the PS3 for from my separate bank account set up specifically for Paypal transactions. I'm not going to scam anyone, I'm going to take tons of pictures of everything and if I get a signature then the buyer has accepted the goods and that is that.[/QUOTE]

Paypal HAS messed with bank accounts in the past. It doesn't matter if you withdraw whatever money was in there, because I'm sure you don't have just 1k to your name.

I would advise everyone to open a second bank account just for PayPal purchases/ebaying. Not that hard, free in most cases, and saves you a lot of hassle.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Paypal HAS messed with bank accounts in the past. It doesn't matter if you withdraw whatever money was in there, because I'm sure you don't have just 1k to your name.

I would advise everyone to open a second bank account just for PayPal purchases/ebaying. Not that hard, free in most cases, and saves you a lot of hassle.[/quote]

That's what I did - my paypal bank account is completely separate from my "real" accounts where my money is. If they try to go into my bank account they will find nothing there. Paypal shouldn't be in this to screw over their customers. If I sell my PS3, the buyer pays, I ship it out and someone signs for it then that's it - it's over done finished.

I'm more sure than ever that all of these things are going on eBay. There's three girls sitting in the classroom behind me talking about camping out for PS3s and how much money they're going to make. Everybody in the lines keeps saying they are buying them to keep, but I swear these people are lying. This is really getting out of control.

[quote name='mykevermin']Not that I'll get one Friday (I'm #11 or 12 in preorders), but has anyone thought about offering a "rebate" ($50 or so) when people post positive feedback? This is, of course, a means of avoding scam buyers or claims of receiving a 15 pound "p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-POWERBOOK!," for example. You get your feedback, offer them the rebate, and then everything is kosher on your end. Could it be that simple?

Perhaps this is a violation of eBay policy?[/QUOTE]

Same-page bump; anyone know if this is against policy?

[quote name='mykevermin']Same-page bump; anyone know if this is against policy?[/quote]
It is technically against ebay policy, because you are not allowed to offer money for good feedback, or threaten someone with bad feedback unless they give you a refund (different issue, but similar). You can probably get away with it. It's your auction and unless someone reports you it will go through. There are going to be TOO many auctions for Ebay to stop every one with minor infractions.

I know that personally I am going to break an Ebay policy. Specifically, I am going to NOT sell to anyone with less than 5 feedback or anyone with an account less than a month old. This is against Ebay policy, but they can bite me. I'd rather get ONE bad feedback than lose $1,500 or whatever the PS3 will go for.

EDIT: Here's a link...whether your plan violates the policy or not is debatable: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-manipulation.html

[quote name='javeryh']That's what I did - my paypal bank account is completely separate from my "real" accounts where my money is. If they try to go into my bank account they will find nothing there. Paypal shouldn't be in this to screw over their customers. If I sell my PS3, the buyer pays, I ship it out and someone signs for it then that's it - it's over done finished.[/quote]

You and me both, my Paypal account is linked to my other measly 4,000 checking account, I put money aside for "whatever". far away from my other account, where I put my pay stubs.

Yeah, PayPal has been freezing accounts for a while. BUT what bothers me that if the buyer says he did not recive his system, Pp keeps the money for themselves? Theifs.

[quote name='Doom5']Ebay just closed my listing, even though I met all their requirements. They asked me to send over a copy of my ID, a credit card bill, a signed document stating I have read the Ebay User policy, and documentation of my purchase of the Playstation 3.

What a pain in the ass, I did fax it over to them though. Hopefully they will reinstate my selling ability soon.[/QUOTE]

They dumped my listing too! I also met all the requirements. Did you send them a WTF? letter before they asked for the corroborating info? I just got a form letter: "Hey, we cancelled your auction! Here's the requirements for selling your PS3. TTFN!".

:bomb:

What I want now is a reinstatement of my auction as-is. After all, launch day is on Friday, so even if I were to create a new auction, the earliest I could have it end is on Saturday (thanks no 1-day auction rule!).

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']It is technically against ebay policy, because you are not allowed to offer money for good feedback, or threaten someone with bad feedback unless they give you a refund (different issue, but similar). You can probably get away with it. It's your auction and unless someone reports you it will go through. There are going to be TOO many auctions for Ebay to stop every one with minor infractions.

I know that personally I am going to break an Ebay policy. Specifically, I am going to NOT sell to anyone with less than 5 feedback or anyone with an account less than a month old. This is against Ebay policy, but they can bite me. I'd rather get ONE bad feedback than lose $1,500 or whatever the PS3 will go for.

EDIT: Here's a link...whether your plan violates the policy or not is debatable: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-manipulation.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

That's kind of misleading title. The article is really about how eBay is only allowing users who meet a certain criteria (50 items sold and 98% positive feedback) to auction pre-orders of the console prior to Friday. Seems pretty logical.

[quote name='shipwreck']That's kind of misleading title. The article is really about how eBay is only allowing users who meet a certain criteria (50 items sold and 98% positive feedback) to auction pre-orders of the console prior to Friday. Seems pretty logical.[/QUOTE]

changed the Title. Hopefully it makes more sense now.

this still makes no sense as its involving preorders only not when you actually have the system in hand. This rule is pretty much null once the system is in peoples hands friday to my understanding unless I misread it.

[quote name='PhoenixT']this still makes no sense as its involving preorders only not when you actually have the system in hand. This rule is pretty much null once the system is in peoples hands friday to my understanding unless I misread it.[/quote]

Right. I doubt it is in eBay's best interests to not allow PS3 sales once they are in hand. I can understand the rule regarding preorders though - the GameStop mess has probably caused a lot of canceled bids.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']I say only have money order theres no way they can get a charge back that way.[/quote]

The only problem with Money Orders is that people lie and say they have sent them but you never receive them. Has happened to me more than once. This especially happens if they bid up an auction high, then see that they could have gotten the item for less. Thats why I require immediate payment through paypal :bomb:

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']The only problem with Money Orders is that people lie and say they have sent them but you never receive them. Has happened to me more than once. This especially happens if they bid up an auction high, then see that they could have gotten the item for less. Thats why I require immediate payment through paypal :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Good point damn.

bread's done
Back