The Official E-Bay Scalping Thread

fuck this. Reading this thread with all the headaches just doesn't seem worth it. I was contemplating getting a PS3 to sell on eBay with the hopes that it would cover my costs to get a PS3 when MGS4 and FFXIII release next year. Shit almost doesn't seem worth it.

[quote name='Kendro']fuck this. Reading this thread with all the headaches just doesn't seem worth it. I was contemplating getting a PS3 to sell on eBay with the hopes that it would cover my costs to get a PS3 when MGS4 and FFXIII release next year. Shit almost doesn't seem worth it.[/quote]

It would be near impossible to get one now anyway. So really, there wasn't a decision to make.

Dan, I had low expectations of snagging one via 1-Click through Amazon tomorrow morning at 8 AM or through Costco.com tomorrow at 8 AM (I am a member).

I am hoping to just show up an hour or so before my wal-mart opens to get one. Last year me and my friend waited out from midnight until they opened at 7AM. No one else showed up until 6:30AM.

So I am confident I can show up around 5:30 or 6 and still get one easily without hassle. I may take a little drive by though around 3AM just to make sure.

serious question...Once we have the PS3s in possession, are we still limited to selling one? What if I have more?

EDIT: Nevermind, talked to an ebay rep and they answered my question. We can sell unlimited PS3s.

Some advice to anybody that has put up or is going to put up an auction:

#1. Require your bidders to PayPal Members. Its much tougher to set up a fake PayPal account (although still not impossible) as it goes through your bank account.

#2. Block negative bidders from bidding on your items

#3. Watch your auction and immediately cancel and block anybody that bids with a zero rating, negative feedback, etc.

[quote name='mick16']Some advice to anybody that has put up or is going to put up an auction:

#1. Require your bidders to PayPal Members. Its much tougher to set up a fake PayPal account (although still not impossible) as it goes through your bank account.

#3. Watch your auction and immediately cancel and block anybody that bids with a zero rating, negative feedback, etc.[/QUOTE]
I would say the best thing is to require immediate payment, and at the same time have a limit on paypal to only accept verified users. This is the best way in my opinion and I never get burned.

Anyone know the dimensions and weight of the PS3? I am trying to calculate shipping costs via UPS.com. Wondering if I should offer FREE overnight shipping.

Watch your auction carefully as well. Fake accounts will be springing up like mad to overbid your bidders and you'll never see a dime. I'd cancel anybody with 0 feedback immediately, and be extremely skeptical of anybody with less than 10.

You think this is a good/bad idea?:

If bidding reaches $1,100, a $100 Best Buy Gift Card will be included.
If bidding reaches $1,200, a FREE PS3 Game will be included (Subject to availability) [Plus the $100 Gift Card]
If bidding reaches $1,500, FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING! [Plus the $100 Gift Card and Free PS3 Game]

The $1,500 figure might scare initial bidders away. (THis is a 20GB PS3 by the way).

[quote name='dpatel']You think this is a good/bad idea?:

If bidding reaches $1,100, a $100 Best Buy Gift Card will be included.
If bidding reaches $1,200, a FREE PS3 Game will be included (Subject to availability) [Plus the $100 Gift Card]
If bidding reaches $1,500, FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING! [Plus the $100 Gift Card and Free PS3 Game]

The $1,500 figure might scare initial bidders away. (THis is a 20GB PS3 by the way).[/quote]
I honestly don't think that will make much of a difference. Probably not worth it on your end.

i have my auction ending on monday...does anybody think that the bidding will still be VERY high...or will it be even higher than it will be on launch day?

My auctions already at $710 with 3 days and like 23 hours left o_O

[quote name='randy5554']I honestly don't think that will make much of a difference. Probably not worth it on your end.[/QUOTE]

Yea, you are probably right.

[quote name='mick16']Some advice to anybody that has put up or is going to put up an auction:

#3. Watch your auction and immediately cancel and block anybody that bids with a zero rating, negative feedback, etc.[/quote]

How do you block negative bidders and cancel/block anybody that bids with a zero rating? Is this done by paying attention to the auction or can you prescreen these people?

[quote name='chrishicks']I was watching this one too. this will be a very common thing starting tomorrow. I accidentily came across some forum doing a google search and there was a whole plan in place with a ton of people who are going to try to do this with every auction they can. I wish I could find it again because they were pretty funny talking about it.[/quote]

Why? What is the point of this?

TO ANYONE OUT THERE WHO IS PUTTING UP AN AUCTION PLEASE READ AS I WILL ONLY POST THIS ONCE!!

THE SINGLE BEST TIME TO END YOUR AUCTION IS AS CLOSE TO RELEASE AS POSSIBLE. PERIOD.

Based on my experience w/ tickle me elmos, 360's, and now the PS3. All of these items WILL FETCH THE HIGHEST PRICE, the first day. This is a fact. Early adopters, christmas shoppers, will push it to it's highest, after that IT WILL SLOWLY DROP DOWN.

First day for 360's, the were fetching as high as 2k-3k, after that it leveled down to 800, after about 3 days. DO NOT WAIT TILL MONDAY TO END YOUR AUCTION!! That is a BAD IDEA YOU WILL LOSE TONS OF MONEY.

Everyone out there believes, people will panic, prices will go up. WRONG! Demand only lessens, and Supplies go up. People slowly either a) become apathetic and just quit trying to get one, b) decide to wait on second shipment, c) find alternative presents, d) do get one some how or another.

Either way Demand WILL drop, and Supply WILL go up, and there will NOT be a panic that will drive the price up as christmas gets closer. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. I've been ebaying for 7 years, it's the SAME thing EVERYTIME. The belief that prices will rise IS WRONG. Esp. as christmas gets closer, many parents just buy other presents, esp. w/ other options like the 360 and wii, and tell their kids they just have to wait.

SO DO NOT PUT IT ON A 3 DAY AUCTION!!

[quote name='Rimmit']TO ANYONE OUT THERE WHO IS PUTTING UP AN AUCTION PLEASE READ AS I WILL ONLY POST THIS ONCE!!

THE SINGLE BEST TIME TO END YOUR AUCTION IS AS CLOSE TO RELEASE AS POSSIBLE. PERIOD.

Based on my experience w/ tickle me elmos, 360's, and now the PS3. All of these items WILL FETCH THE HIGHEST PRICE, the first day. This is a fact. Early adopters, christmas shoppers, will push it to it's highest, after that IT WILL SLOWLY DROP DOWN.

First day for 360's, the were fetching as high as 2k-3k, after that it leveled down to 800, after about 3 days. DO NOT WAIT TILL MONDAY TO END YOUR AUCTION!! That is a BAD IDEA YOU WILL LOSE TONS OF MONEY.

Everyone out there believes, people will panic, prices will go up. WRONG! Demand only lessens, and Supplies go up. People slowly either a) become apathetic and just quit trying to get one, b) decide to wait on second shipment, c) find alternative presents, d) do get one some how or another.

Either way Demand WILL drop, and Supply WILL go up, and there will NOT be a panic that will drive the price up as christmas gets closer. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. I've been ebaying for 7 years, it's the SAME thing EVERYTIME. The belief that prices will rise IS WRONG. Esp. as christmas gets closer, many parents just buy other presents, esp. w/ other options like the 360 and wii, and tell their kids they just have to wait.

SO DO NOT PUT IT ON A 3 DAY AUCTION!![/quote]

how long should i wait to post the auction if i have a pre-order i wanna post? im gonna set it to one day but i know ebay doesn't allow 1 day auctions for pre-orders...or since it comes out at midnight...should i just post it then? somebody help please :(

[quote name='animemaniac14']how long should i wait to post the auction if i have a pre-order i wanna post? im gonna set it to one day but i know ebay doesn't allow 1 day auctions for pre-orders...or since it comes out at midnight...should i just post it then? somebody help please :([/quote]

Just post it now, chances of ebay catching it are negligible. They stopped doing that already. Worst case scenario, post two, and just cancel the other auction later if you sell this one. To cancel the auction, you have to cancel all the bids before 12hours end and then end it. What you can do to prevent bidders is list it real high, and change the auction starting price as it gets closer.

[quote name='Rimmit']Just post it now, chances of ebay catching it are negligible. They stopped doing that already. Worst case scenario, post two, and just cancel the other auction later if you sell this one. To cancel the auction, you have to cancel all the bids before 12hours end and then end it. What you can do to prevent bidders is list it real high, and change the auction starting price as it gets closer.[/quote]

Well actually i've already got one posted...and its a pre-order but its got 3 days and 22 hours left...and i wanna end it and change it to a one day...think it would be smart to do this and just post the 1 day auction now?

I'm pretty disappointed with everyone waiting in line for the PS3, it really comes as one of the biggest downfalls of the videogame industry. What the heck happened to people buying videogame systems to have fun? What is with everyone's obsession with making a quick dollar? Sure, you may argue that Sony is greedy by pricing their console at such a high price, but it just isn't right to me for people to wait in line and do this.
Let me get this clear, every single one of you who is reselling the ps3 at a high price is doing a disservice to the gamers everywhere. I didn't think it would get crazier than the 360 last year, but all the selfish people out there have outdone themselves. If you think that the console shortages are bad now, imagine what it's going to be like when the next generation comes in about 4-5 years; we haven't seen anything yet, it's only going to get worse.

And to those who show no dignity and actually buy from these price gougers, you really should have your head checked because you are just contributing to the problem. If you really want a PS3 and you have no chance of getting one at retail price tomorrow, wait three months. If you are faced with purchasing a bundle, wait three months, screw over the people that are trying to make a quick buck off of your desperation. If you spare these price gougers nothing, then they will change their ways. It is just disgusting to me that I've seen friends wanting to make a quick buck off their other friends by selling their PS3 at a high cost. Where did the love go? There are such greater things in the world that people should worry about than a stupid video game console yet people don't see it, all they see is dollar signs. It truly disgusts me. I waited a year before I bought the 360 because I didn't want to deal with all the launch defects and insanity, and I'm glad that I did. Keep in mind, usually first-run consoles are the buggiest, and you're likely to end up with a brick in a shorter time span than if you buy a later model.

To all of you gamers that are buying the PS3 tomorrow for the sake of gaming and/or HD movies, I commend you, I'm just sorry that you probably won't find many people to play with online. I'd also reccommend pepper spray to fend off the scumbags that are probably going to be hiding under your car tonight.

I wish the best to those that are in it for their love of gaming, not those that are victims of their own avarice.

[quote name='animemaniac14']Well actually i've already got one posted...and its a pre-order but its got 3 days and 22 hours left...and i wanna end it and change it to a one day...think it would be smart to do this and just post the 1 day auction now?[/quote]

If there are no bids you can just convert it to a 1 day.

[quote name='jtkelly86']I'm pretty disappointed with everyone waiting in line for the PS3, it really comes as one of the biggest downfalls of the videogame industry. What the heck happened to people buying videogame systems to have fun? What is with everyone's obsession with making a quick dollar? Sure, you may argue that Sony is greedy by pricing their console at such a high price, but it just isn't right to me for people to wait in line and do this.
Let me get this clear, every single one of you who is reselling the ps3 at a high price is doing a disservice to the gamers everywhere. I didn't think it would get crazier than the 360 last year, but all the selfish people out there have outdone themselves. If you think that the console shortages are bad now, imagine what it's going to be like when the next generation comes in about 4-5 years; we haven't seen anything yet, it's only going to get worse.

And to those who show no dignity and actually buy from these price gougers, you really should have your head checked because you are just contributing to the problem. If you really want a PS3 and you have no chance of getting one at retail price tomorrow, wait three months. If you are faced with purchasing a bundle, wait three months, screw over the people that are trying to make a quick buck off of your desperation. If you spare these price gougers nothing, then they will change their ways. It is just disgusting to me that I've seen friends wanting to make a quick buck off their other friends by selling their PS3 at a high cost. Where did the love go? There are such greater things in the world that people should worry about than a stupid video game console yet people don't see it, all they see is dollar signs. It truly disgusts me. I waited a year before I bought the 360 because I didn't want to deal with all the launch defects and insanity, and I'm glad that I did. Keep in mind, usually first-run consoles are the buggiest, and you're likely to end up with a brick in a shorter time span than if you buy a later model.

To all of you gamers that are buying the PS3 tomorrow for the sake of gaming and/or HD movies, I commend you, I'm just sorry that you probably won't find many people to play with online. I'd also reccommend pepper spray to fend off the scumbags that are probably going to be hiding under your car tonight.

I wish the best to those that are in it for their love of gaming, not those that are victims of their own avarice.[/quote]

Shut the fuck up. This is not an ebay ethics thread, this is thread where ebayers help ebayers, so get the hell out. I'm fucking fed up w/ people like you, who are holier then though.

[quote name='javeryh']How do you block negative bidders and cancel/block anybody that bids with a zero rating? Is this done by paying attention to the auction or can you prescreen these people?[/QUOTE]

This tells you how to set buyer requirements to block bidders with negative ratings.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

To cancel bids, just pay attention to your auction bidders and zap zero or fishy bidders ASAP via this page:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

I cancel the bids and then add them to my block bidder list just to be safe.

[quote name='jtkelly86']I'm pretty disappointed with everyone waiting in line for the PS3, it really comes as one of the biggest downfalls of the videogame industry. What the heck happened to people buying videogame systems to have fun? What is with everyone's obsession with making a quick dollar? Sure, you may argue that Sony is greedy by pricing their console at such a high price, but it just isn't right to me for people to wait in line and do this.

I wish the best to those that are in it for their love of gaming, not those that are victims of their own avarice.[/quote]

This is hilarious. Yeah, I should turn down 2 grand so some douche I don't know can play videogames tomorrow. Thanks for the laugh. :rofl:

[quote name='mick16']This tells you how to set buyer requirements to block bidders with negative ratings.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

To cancel bids, just pay attention to your auction bidders and zap zero or fishy bidders ASAP via this page:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

I cancel the bids and then add them to my block bidder list just to be safe.[/quote]
Stupid question, but it is "legal" to cancel a bid for any reason correct? Like can you cancel a bid just because the person has the word "gravy" in his username?

Just wondering if as a seller, there is some "anti-discrimination" policy where you aren't allowed to not accept a bid for whatever reason.

[quote name='Kendro']Stupid question, but it is "legal" to cancel a bid for any reason correct? Like can you cancel a bid just because the person has the word "gravy" in his username?

Just wondering if as a seller, there is some "anti-discrimination" policy where you aren't allowed to not accept a bid for whatever reason.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you can cancel a bid for any reason you like.

[quote name='jtkelly86']Everyone that laughs at what I said obviously missed my point.[/quote]

You need to take that shit to the shopping morality thread. I usually look it up for people like you, but you can search for it. Post your bitching in there and get the fuck out of this thread.

[quote name='jtkelly86']Everyone that laughs at what I said obviously missed my point.[/quote]
No I get your point exactly and it's really really funny. This thread is about eBaying the PS3 so if you don't want to help please don't post here. I'm sure there are plenty of morality/"eBaying PS3s is wrong" threads to talk about it.

Ebay discourages you from cancelling bids, but there's nothing in the rules that prohibits you from canceling a bid from a bidder which you view as malicious.

Should I sell a couple of games with my PS3 or should I just sell the system by itself? I was thinking of including Resistance, COD 3, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Any thoughts?

[quote name='onikage']I'm pretty sure you can cancel a bid for any reason you like.[/QUOTE]

I dont' think u can cancel a bid for any reason you like. It's a contract. Now canceling your auction, I do not know.

there are so many non-gamers in lines, it's not funny. The people who will win out the most are those at WM in the East coast and Mid-Night launch specials. Those 1 day auctions will go for alot I pressume?

Can I edit the auction once it is up? I could do a 1 day auction and start it now, but I want to add actual pictures of it tomorrow.

Theres something in the ebay rules about needing a picture of the item with your name buy it, even if it's not a preorder. Found this in the forums...

To sell a PlayStation 3 console after November 17th we will require the
following from sellers:

1. You must have the item in your possession at the time of listing. The
listing must include a photograph of the actual product in your
possession. Please have your USER ID clearly displayed within the
photograph. If you have multiple products in your possession, please
include one photo containing all items. No stock images will be
accepted.

2. Your listing must also include an image of the sales receipt(s) (or
other proof of purchase) for the items. In order to protect yourself
please black out any sensitive personal information such as credit card
information.

Violation of these guidelines may cause action to be taken, up to and
including suspension of accounts.

Sold my pre-order Buy it now, even though they said you couldn't, heh. Put it up for 2k and end of story. 2k is more than i thought i could ever get so I was happy to sell it off and get my money.

I am now $1,300 richer after ebay/paypal/shipping

[quote name='IXISIXI']Sold my pre-order Buy it now, even though they said you couldn't, heh. Put it up for 2k and end of story. 2k is more than i thought i could ever get so I was happy to sell it off and get my money.

I am now $1,300 richer after ebay/paypal/shipping[/QUOTE]

Nice! It was smart of you to get out early, I have a feeling the prices on these things are about to drop big time once the floodgates open tomorrow morning.

[quote name='IXISIXI']Sold my pre-order Buy it now, even though they said you couldn't, heh. Put it up for 2k and end of story. 2k is more than i thought i could ever get so I was happy to sell it off and get my money.

Kudos on that - but some people are getting a *bit* too greedy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-IN-BO...3QQihZ019QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-NEW-PREMIUM...3QQihZ008QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:rofl: on that first one!

Congrats, man! I'd rather be out there line sitting than writing this 15 page business ethics paper.. or procrastinating on CAG when I should be writing it, lol.

A newspaper here in Madison Wisconsin wrote that you need a seller feedback of 50+ to sell a PS3 and that you can only sell a maximum of one. Does anybody know if this is a lie? Couldn't find anything about this here and I really hope it isn't true...

And I'm talking about non preorders btw

That was in terms of "presell" auctions. Now that it's out, it may be a different case. I've read nothing yet limiting a participant to one.

But damn, some bidder finally maxed Ebay out, huh? I actually fear for the seller on that one (though I despise what they've turned the launch into). There's no way in hell he's getting paid, but that probably won't stop Ebay from hitting him up for it with their fees.

[quote name='robbart914']That was in terms of "presell" auctions. Now that it's out, it may be a different case. I've read nothing yet limiting a participant to one.

But damn, some bidder finally maxed Ebay out, huh? I actually fear for the seller on that one (though I despise what they've turned the launch into). There's no way in hell he's getting paid, but that probably won't stop Ebay from hitting him up for it with their fees.[/QUOTE]
Anybody know how much eBay would charge him for the auction? Just curious..

[quote name='chaarlieee']Anybody know how much eBay would charge him for the auction? Just curious..[/QUOTE]

A ton - but he'll get them back in 2 weeks after filing a non-paying bidder alert (though a douche bidder could screw with that and prolong it too).

Thanks for the link though - I have a bunch of bidders I can now add to my blocked bidder list. Keep 'em coming! :D Note that one of them is *already* not registered. It is likely ebay will give this seller his fees back without the non-paying bidder process, actually, as it is pretty clearly wrong. It is the ones that get bid to $5000 or so that I worry about.

[quote name='gofishn']Yeah, the ones that look legit but are actually shills are the ones they'll have a tough time with.[/QUOTE]

OK, boy the douche's are out in force apparently. I have a blocked bidder list that consists of about 10 names I've acquired over about 2 years of more recent selling (I sold on ebay a long time ago but took about 2 years off). All of those were non-paying bidders - I got my ebay fees refunded, and then added them to the list.

I just nearly tripled my list with the scumbags from this auction. And as a CAG public service here is the list in the form you can add it to your blocked bidder list:

psingley85, qside23, themp3zone, machineissad, superman1584, soldatos, matt307165, adamelodi, trustnu2, 82transam350, bigjody111, mrsophistication, ich00012, hp_rsx_s, sh0esy, wootang365, jharris401, rohrer23, alyss03, isaac-5212, ez_shops, allamerreject145, ariggs96, lovetobid1008, hawk247ada, ctran1337, cardgod111, taylorneuman17

The scary thing is that a few of these people have 100+ feedback. I guess they are going down in flames over this issue, it's that fucking important to them. While I think line sitters who hire homeless people to obtain multiple PS3s for ebay are pretty patheric, these losers who mess with auctions are 10x worse. I was expecting these people to all be new users with 0 feedback - only a few actually are. One guy has a net score of 1 - two positive, one negative. The neg is for non-response on a $20 wireless router. Scum of the Earth...

The blocked bidder option is NOT easy to find - go to My Ebay, click on "more..." in the "Related Links" section at the bottom left, then click on "Block or Pre-Approve Bidders".

I know there's no way I'll catch them all, but I'm going to comb through a few more auctions and list any that I find here as well.

bread's done
Back