The Official E-Bay Scalping Thread

You know, upon further examination I'm not sure what was up with this auction. Maybe this is a guy they all knew and he did something horrible, who knows. The reason I say that is that except for possibly the banned bidder (and I can't see what he also bid on any more) none of the other seem to have put in any joke bids. Many of them have bought regular game items and some have put in reasonable bids on other PS3 auctions. MAYBE, either this was a glitch in ebay, or there's some backstory we don't know about (like the guy line cut at an EB or something - after all, he has his picture in there).

It is a bit of a relief to see there isn't widespread high bidding by these buyers. I'm even tempted to remove some of them from my blocked list, but I probably ought to keep them there just to be safe :D.

I'll dig a little further - so far I've done the top 5 (looking at their bidding history). Some of them have ONLY bid on this auction in the last 30 days.

Edit #1:

Most of the bidder appear normal otherwise.

ariggs96 is slightly fishy in that they may have bid an enormous amount to get this auction to end at $4000+.
Here are the 2 auction they bid on - one is the joke one, and the other they won for $4350. It will be interesting to
see if they pay for it.

Item Start End Price Title High Bidder Seller
280049145830 Nov-13-06 Nov-16-06 23:28:06 US $4,350.00 Sony Playstation 3 PS3 60GB System Console Pre-sale ariggs96 (*) bjervone2003
150059269467 Nov-13-06 Nov-16-06 23:45:40 US $99,999,999.00 Playstation 3 PS3 60GB Free Overnight Shipping /Blu-ray psingley85 (*) k.c.cards

Edit #2:
My new theory - maybe this guy bragged in a message board or something and is having some sort of retaliation. In any case, it seems personal against him :lol:.

Ah, found another joke bid auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160050434898
This auction is at 11 million with 4 hours to go :rofl:.

And one of the bidders from the first is in on this one as well (ctran1337). Here are the new ones to add to your blocked list: kiangsta, xitebike, biggrigs173, heybabe_12, lovelikewinter0. These people are mostly zero-feedback so most likely out to cause trouble.

The new high bidder in this second auction (kiangsta) was also involved in the other (but somehow I missed him - ah, I see he bid 99 million then retracted it). He has this auction for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=250050911427
He also sold a TMX so he's a hypocrite if he's upset about people selling PS3's.

Edit #3 - There's some wierd shit going on - if you look at both of those auctions there are lots of cancellations with people saying they "entered the wrong amount". Either they are trying to scare off other bidders by bidding high and then cancelling at the last minute (though they failed in that first one, anyway), or there is some glitch going on with these auctions. In any case, I'm done dealing with this for now! I'll keep all those people on my blocked list in any case - either they are assholes, incompetant, or have glitchy browsers ;).

Looking over the list of PS3's ending within the next hour almost all of the high bidders are currently people with less than 10 feedback, most with 0 or 1. The funny thing is, a couple of the people who actually had 1 or 2 feedback received that feedback from selling TMX Elmos. This leads me to believe that it's not disgruntled PS3 fanboys and gamers doing this, just eBay profiteers who are pissed that they didn't get in on the action.

Here's a question: The guy I sold my PS3 to is planning on reselling it. Now, I think prices are going to bottom out and he's gonna be SOL. Good news is that he's wiring the money paypal first thing tomorrow morning. My question is whether or not he can return it for not wanting it or whatever if prices bottom out. I don't want to give back that money, it's going toward my BF 32" westinghouse at BB.

Keep detailed records of everything, save all e-mails, take pictures, and use signature confirmation. He could try a chargeback or an item not as described claim, but you should have ample ammo to shut him down. I agree with you 100% that by this time tomorrow the prices will be considerably lower than they are now.

[quote name='IXISIXI']Here's a question: The guy I sold my PS3 to is planning on reselling it. Now, I think prices are going to bottom out and he's gonna be SOL. Good news is that he's wiring the money paypal first thing tomorrow morning. My question is whether or not he can return it for not wanting it or whatever if prices bottom out. I don't want to give back that money, it's going toward my BF 32" westinghouse at BB.[/quote]

The guy you sold your preorder to for $2,000 is planning on reselling it? Where do idiots get that much money :drool:

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']The guy you sold your preorder to for $2,000 is planning on reselling it? Where do idiots get that much money :drool:[/QUOTE]

It's not where they get it that interests me, it's that now I know why they can't hold on to it.

[quote name='IXISIXI']It's not where they get it that interests me, it's that now I know why they can't hold on to it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I think prices will remain high through Christmas, with perhaps a dip over the next week as ebay gets flooded. With the severe cutback Sony made in shipments it doesn't bode well for more coming in the next few weeks. We'll see... I am seriously tempted to hold on to mine for a few weeks, but I think they will be down for a while so if I'm going to do it soon, I might as well just go for a 1-day starting as soon as I get it tomorrow. Yes, it will end among the deluge of other auctions Saturday afternoon but I'll takes my chances :D.

HOWEVER, it is highly unlikely your buyer will make much, if any, profit off of a $2000 purchase. I mean, I'm a bit nervous risking my $600 to a 1-day auction starting at 99 cents, but I think I'll be fine with that (since I bought mine with store credit even selling it for $600 would be profit for me, though high in suckage :D).

But, if you send to a confirmed address with appropriate tracking info, there is really nothing they can do, correct? Aren't you covered by PayPal's Seller Protection in that case?

[quote name='io']
I just nearly tripled my list with the scumbags from this auction. And as a CAG public service here is the list in the form you can add it to your blocked bidder list:

psingley85, qside23, themp3zone, machineissad, superman1584, soldatos, matt307165, adamelodi, trustnu2, 82transam350, bigjody111, mrsophistication, ich00012, hp_rsx_s, sh0esy, wootang365, jharris401, rohrer23, alyss03, isaac-5212, ez_shops, allamerreject145, ariggs96, lovetobid1008, hawk247ada, ctran1337, cardgod111, taylorneuman17

The blocked bidder option is NOT easy to find - go to My Ebay, click on "more..." in the "Related Links" section at the bottom left, then click on "Block or Pre-Approve Bidders".

I know there's no way I'll catch them all, but I'm going to comb through a few more auctions and list any that I find here as well.[/QUOTE]
Thanks very much, io. Great idea and a great service to post these- I've added them all to my blocked list, as well as the names you added a few posts after the one I quoted here. :applause:

[quote name='Danimal']Thanks very much, io. Great idea and a great service to post these- I've added them all to my blocked list, as well as the names you added a few posts after the one I quoted here. :applause:[/quote]

I'll second this. Great info and I'll definitely add these people to my block list. I just don't understand wasting your time on messing up auctions. Seriously, what is the point?

[quote name='dallow']Got 4.[/quote]
LUCKY SUNAVABITCH!

picked mine up thsi morning...no line...but as the manager opened the doors of the eb he said "OK, COME PICK UP YOUR CRAPPY SYSTEM..." :bouncy::applause:

man 12 hours left to go on my auction...hopefully i make a good profit for it...and hopefully the crazy bidders (the non-spammin ones) get on a little later in the afternoon and start REALLY bidding on the PS3s...i guess its a little too early for them to be awake hahaha

3800 BIN w/ immediate payment!!! I am now 3000 dollars richer!! All the persistence paid off.

Good luck to everyone else.

To anyone that doesn't believe me look up item #150059447587
That's rimmit auctions. WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

[quote name='Rimmit']3800 BIN w/ immediate payment!!! I am now 3000 dollars richer!! All the persistence paid off.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[/quote]

DAMN RIMMIT! im hoping mine gets to be that high...like i said...hopefully the REAL desperate jabroni's will get on sometime in the later afternoon :bouncy:

[quote name='Rimmit']3800 BIN w/ immediate payment!!! I am now 3000 dollars richer!! All the persistence paid off.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[/quote]

Yeah but will the funds really go to your wedding? I have no problem with profiteering as I'm one myself, but lying about where the money is going is a tad bit low imo. ;p

If so grats! If not, you just suck.

The one guy who's PS3 got the maximum bid has 1.5 million in fees

As for the deadbeat bidder list, the ones right now are just messing around. We haven't even seen the guys/gals who are gonna use paypal to their advantage.

I'm making a list at the moment, I'll post it in a while... thanks in advance to everyone posting here, I have a few consoles to sell and ebay has become rather unpredictable lately...

I can't believe the number of assholes out there....pretty much every auction is now being ruined when only minutes are left

btw, does anyone know if theres a way to block out bidders due to low feedback (less than 15, for example) instead of blocking only those with negative or non paying strikes?

[quote name='Quigoni']Yeah but will the funds really go to your wedding? I have no problem with profiteering as I'm one myself, but lying about where the money is going is a tad bit low imo. ;p

If so grats! If not, you just suck.[/quote]

YES IT WILL! :lol:
Break down of the 2900 after ebay fees, ps3 cost, shipping is as follows

1800 to help pay for my honeymoon which is a 7 day cruise
700 for PS3 in the future
100 to my brother as a consolation prize for not getting one
100 to my fiancee's sister also as a consolation
200 for various charities during the holidays

And that's where it will all go. :lol: No lies here. I can give you my wedding website if you like.

http://www.eweddings.com/sites/irishbelles

I'm really not lying.

Is there a way to cancel a bid once it has been made? Currently, the highest bidder is a 0 feedback user (chad4215). I would rather not take a chance with him, and just inform him that he is not eligible (I stated in my auction that bidders needed at least 5 feedback).

[quote name='animemaniac14']if anyone has ANY more bidders to add to the block list PLEASE post it here! thanks :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]
Where is the list? I've been scrambling like crazy for the last hour trying to block as many illegitimate buyers as possible.

Not a very comprehensive list here, but the following are some that I noticed sniping some recently finished auctions with bids in the thousands. They're all either brand new users (like within the last few days) or users with 0 or negative feedback.

ihategreedypeople3, gummyrabbit, sdfd_504, marclasry, danielec7232, aqua2479, mixloud, acj2121, jbccity82, rounderj32

Sorry if any of these names have already been posted. These are all taken from just 5 or 6 auctions, so they're merely a drop in the ocean. I'd look for more, but I have to work tonight and it's way past the time I should have been in bed.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Where is the list? I've been scrambling like crazy for the last hour trying to block as many illegitimate buyers as possible.[/QUOTE]
io posted 2 lists in two seperate posts on page 13 of this thread

[quote name='Rimmit']YES IT WILL! :lol:
Break down of the 2900 after ebay fees, ps3 cost, shipping is as follows

1800 to help pay for my honeymoon which is a 7 day cruise
700 for PS3 in the future
100 to my brother as a consolation prize for not getting one
100 to my fiancee's sister also as a consolation
200 for various charities during the holidays

And that's where it will all go. :lol: No lies here. I can give you my wedding website if you like.

http://www.eweddings.com/sites/irishbelles

I'm really not lying.[/quote]

Well then again grats! :) I'm selling mine off for $1500. Only wanted that because it's exactly the amount I need to stop borrowing money from the Money Tree for the next paycheck.

[quote name='Quigoni']Well then again grats! :) I'm selling mine off for $1500. Only wanted that because it's exactly the amount I need to stop borrowing money from the Money Tree for the next paycheck.[/quote]

Well good luck then. I think you'll get that.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Where is the list? I've been scrambling like crazy for the last hour trying to block as many illegitimate buyers as possible.[/quote]

Are people pissed they didn't get a system? Bored with nothing else to do? Why would anyone care that someone they don't know is selling something to someone else they don't know? It is mind-boggling.

[quote name='Danimal']io posted 2 lists in two seperate posts on page 13 of this thread[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

Here's what my final list ended up being:

82transam350, 9659victor, acarlisle53, acj2121, adamelodi, adewomon, allamerreject145, alyss03, ariggs96, atkinson727, baboon701, bigjody111, billybaru13, btinsley992, cardgod111, ctran1337, eyelyktoys, ez_shops, fsdc1, hawk247ada, heroslegacy24, hp_rsx_s, huai, ich00012, imcken32, isaac-5212, jbccity82, jharris401, lovetobid1008, luiandterry, machineissad, matt307165, midwestsports2002, mixloud, mrsophistication, mxmstr88, nighthawklxxxvi, noxsucow_1noxsucow, psingley85, qside23, rangersnyrangers1, ream8213, rinsudabell, rohrer23, sh0esy, shakkit, soldatos, spy358, superman1584, taylorneuman17, themp3zone, thormaster3, tonyt3879, trustnu2, virtualdropzone, wootang365

Wow - it does seem like there are legit buyers bidding over $3,000 for it. I'm thinking it might be best to wait until next week to sell when all the douchebag fake bidders settle down but I don't know - maybe I'll get lucky with a real buyer.

[quote name='javeryh']Are people pissed they didn't get a system? Bored with nothing else to do? Why would anyone care that someone they don't know is selling something to someone else they don't know? It is mind-boggling.[/quote]

Because passive agressive behavior is so easy over the intarwebs. These people think you guys are douches for eBaying them, and then act like bigger douches by screwing someone's auction up.

Holy crap. I put mine up with a buy it now of 1800 (was going to do 2k, but didn't want to push it).

SOLD WITHIN A MINUTE TO A 300 FEEDBACK BIDDER.

[quote name='Ricochet']Holy crap. I put mine up with a buy it now of 1800 (was going to do 2k, but didn't want to push it).

SOLD WITHIN A MINUTE TO A 300 FEEDBACK BIDDER.[/quote]

Awesome!! I'm doing a BIN of $2,000 to start. If I get that I'll be very very happy.

here's my list, using io's data, and ugamer_x's names as well:

82transam350, acarlisle53, acj2121, adamelodi, akey2007, alank212, allamerreject145, alyss03, ariggs96, ayeep401, bajan1234, bh56ko, biggrigs173, bigjody111, billybaru13, brainz11203, btinsley992, cardgod111, couponclipperntx, ctran1337, eyelyktoys, ez_shops, farshad_81_2002, hawk247ada, heybabe_12, hp_rsx_s, huai, ich00012, isaac-5212, jad19760, jharris401, jlucido7, jmcbride2010, johnnywadd37, josephaddai10, jreed075, keystonecop96, kiangsta, kneser2006, lgutfa, liltif_012001, lovelikewinter0, lovetobid1008, luiandterry, machineissad, matt307165, michaels1501, mrsophistication, mxmstr88, nighthawklxxxvi, noxsucow_1noxsucow, plasticadhesive, pserra68, psingley85, qside23, rangersnyrangers1, rohrer23, rpgamer101, samwkim, sh0esy, shadowhearted, snation100, soldatos, spy358, superman1584, taylorneuman17, tejjh1, themp3zone, tonyt3879, trustnu2, wardmusic29, wootang365, xitebike, bid_boy_walshey, chocalek24, fsdc1, thormaster3, heroslegacy24, ream8213, shakkit, 9659victor, suckit123456, metungyamu, ihategreedypeople3, gummyrabbit, sdfd_504, ihategreedypeople, hf299, gohuskies1908, rachellenandre, bloodtearzsweat, robin_elite, ldanc3likemj, harald4786, bonesviper777, austin0040, jswank973, robert42899, ihategreedypeople3, gummyrabbit, sdfd_504, marclasry, danielec7232, aqua2479, mixloud, acj2121, jbccity82, rounderj32, 82transam350, 9659victor, acarlisle53, acj2121, adamelodi, adewomon, allamerreject145, alyss03, ariggs96, atkinson727, baboon701, bigjody111, billybaru13, btinsley992, cardgod111, ctran1337, eyelyktoys, ez_shops, fsdc1, hawk247ada, heroslegacy24, hp_rsx_s, huai, ich00012, imcken32, isaac-5212, jbccity82, jharris401, lovetobid1008, luiandterry, machineissad, matt307165, midwestsports2002, mixloud, mrsophistication, mxmstr88, nighthawklxxxvi, noxsucow_1noxsucow, psingley85, qside23, rangersnyrangers1, ream8213, rinsudabell, rohrer23, sh0esy, shakkit, soldatos, spy358, superman1584, taylorneuman17, themp3zone, thormaster3, tonyt3879, trustnu2, virtualdropzone, wootang365

whew!, I hope this decreases in the coming days....

[quote name='drfrielgood']PS3 prices will not "bottom out" until after the holidays. The demand is there to sustain inflated prices at least that long.[/quote]

I agree although I think the way high $3,000+ auctions are inflated due to launch day frenzy. I think $2,000 isn't out of the question though through Christmas especially since Sony cut their launch numbers late this week and there are even less of them out there.

I'm guessing there is a certain point where I can no longer revise my auction. I am trying to add actual pictures of the product, but I don't see an option to. I clicked 'revise my item', but I can't change any info. I was able to last night, but the auction now has 11 hours to go and 13 bids.

[quote name='dpatel']I'm guessing there is a certain point where I can no longer revise my auction. I am trying to add actual pictures of the product, but I don't see an option to. I clicked 'revise my item', but I can't change any info. I was able to last night, but the auction now has 11 hours to go and 13 bids.[/quote]

It has to have at least 12 hrs to be able to change Price + Title + Description. Anything under you can not.

[quote name='ajh2298']Is there a way to check if you have a limit on my papal account before I list mine.[/QUOTE]

It should tell you when you select WITHDRAW funds.

Reality's Fringe;2379579 said:
Damnit, I have a $500 limit on paypal
I need to get that lifted?
You can upgrade to a Premier account. There's no initial fee, they just take a cut of whatever funds you receive.

I'm going to predict that at some pace, the Wii is going to take some major wind out of these sales. I would strongly advice getting rid of them before Sunday.

bread's done
Back