The Official I have the Xbox 250GB" Internal HDD-Built in Wifi N and impressions.

Just a tip, dont recover your gamertag if you're using the transfer cable. Start the system up, go through the basic setup, just create a new gamertag and then do the transferring. You can just delete that new gamertag when the transfer is complete.

Got mine yesterday. Its a nice little system. I hate the nickel/dime BS of Microsoft. They should've included the transfer cable with it for the first gen at least, but outside of that complaint, I have no complaints. They should've had this design at launch.

[quote name='vwbeetlvr']the analog sticks are black as opposed to grey on the regular black controller. the plastic on the front (where the mic plugs in) is also black as opposed to grey on the other controller. lastly the guide button is more "mirror-like" on the new one as opposed to "silverish" on the old one. there may be more thats all I know off the top of my head...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='intoxicated662']yeah the guide button is shiny/glossy I guess you can say and the wired headset (which isn't worth a crap by the way) is all black and looks nice but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at eBay before I asked this too and didn't see much. But I just looked this morning and found a new slim controller for $35 shipped. I wanted a 2nd one of this tone, cause hell, I'm one of those OCD people when it comes to matching up, haha.

I'm thinking about picking up the new slim xbox 4GB wanted to know if I could upgrade the hard drive to 500GB or if I could use an external HDD to save and install games on?

[quote name='combatrhombus']I'm thinking about picking up the new slim xbox 4GB wanted to know if I could upgrade the hard drive to 500GB or if I could use an external HDD to save and install games on?[/QUOTE]

don't think so since you couldn't do it on the older 360's. I was thinking of getting another new 360 slim but the 4gb model for $199 but how to go about upgrading the hd space later on? Haven't gotten any confirmation if they'll release newer hard drives and if it'll upgrade the hd space fine with no problems and all. You could spend the extra $100 and get over 240gb instead and that seems a more, better choice unless of course you just play the same game over and over and don't download much content really.

[quote name='combatrhombus']I'm thinking about picking up the new slim xbox 4GB wanted to know if I could upgrade the hard drive to 500GB or if I could use an external HDD to save and install games on?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='intoxicated662']don't think so since you couldn't do it on the older 360's. I was thinking of getting another new 360 slim but the 4gb model for $199 but how to go about upgrading the hd space later on? Haven't gotten any confirmation if they'll release newer hard drives and if it'll upgrade the hd space fine with no problems and all. You could spend the extra $100 and get over 240gb instead and that seems a more, better choice unless of course you just play the same game over and over and don't download much content really.[/QUOTE]

They will have one in the future. They'll be selling the 250GB separately. I'm guessing it will be somewhere in the $129.99 - $149.99 range, since that would make it worthwhile to buy the $299 version of the system.

Either way, I'm guessing you can still do the homebrew 250gb harddrive, though I'm not sure where to get an appropriate casing for it (ebay?)

Ran across this article on Ars Technica, showing that they fused the CPU and GPU together into a single System-On-a-Chip design when they redesigned the Xbox 360 into the Slim:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ntel-amd-to-market-with-cpugpu-combo-chip.ars

Pretty neat stuff, all told. Especially the fact that their new design is faster, and to make sure there's 100% compatibility to the "old" design, they had to put in a Front Side Bus emulator to make the system look like the old one with the discrete chips.

I'm sure it's been designed to be a precursor to the replacement for the 360, so they can work out issues with future chips in this design first.

[quote name='shrike4242']Ran across this article on Ars Technica, showing that they fused the CPU and GPU together into a single System-On-a-Chip design when they redesigned the Xbox 360 into the Slim:
[/QUOTE]
The folks here were, as far as I know, the first ones brave enough to peel off the heat spreader. Some nice close-ups of the new chip in there.

Just ordered my xbox slim yesterday after my old 20gb ran out of space. I'm excited :D

EDIT: Sorry i just want to clarify something, the composite A/V cable that comes with the xbox slim can do 1080i resolution can't it? I'm a bit confused about this because my old xbox 20gb is currently running on 1080i using just the cable that came with it....

Last edited by a moderator:
Not with the composite cables that come with the new systems. But you can use your component cables that already have to keep the HD.

I have one, and I really like it. The larger HDD and extra USB ports are great, and it is WAY quieter than my 360 Elite. I don't use the wireless and probably never will because I have cat5 wired to it. Wireless is convenient, but wired provides a better connection if you have access to it. I like the new style but hate that it is glossy, it needs to be dusted off every other day and shows finger prints everywhere.

bread's done
Back