The Official I have the Xbox 250GB" Internal HDD-Built in Wifi N and impressions.

If they gave out free transfer cables to everyone the market would be overrun with them. As a consumer it would be great, but why would MS pay to over-manufacture a single use product AND give it away.

I still had my free one from upgrading to an elite long ago. You will find them on eBay or used GS before long.

As for HDMI, pick up a $5 one off the net.

I didn't see this in the thread search at all. I was using the USB flash drives to transfer file saves and I noticed that the original Xbox games saves aren't transfering. To those of you using the transfer kits to transfer the files - is it fullying copying the original Xbox game saves too?

Got mine!

Re-installing all my games now. The initial transfer felt a lot faster than 20gb to 120gb. Not sure if the installs are any slower or faster.

I can feel the heat radiating from the top of the unit. But I can barely hear the thing now when it is on. The ding sound is pleasant, and not as loud as I thought.

Got finger prints all over it just taking it out of the box. Now in the entertainment area, had to push it back a bit because of cats. My fear is getting nose prints all over it, or them turning it on and off..especially when I play.

So far I like it.

Wonder if MS has the ability to patch the fan speed..

Update from my issues:

To recap: My power supply gave me a red light of death no more than 24 hours after buying my 360 S. I requested a replacement power supply the same day.

So today, UPS comes and delivers my brand new power supply. I'm excited and head upstairs to plug everything in and get back to gaming on my 360.

Not so fast...

The new supply goes red the second I turn my 360 on. I am livid.

Long story short, my console is going in for repair on Monday. It's going to be roughly two to three weeks to repair. I would return it back to GameStop, but my dumb ass threw away the box.

I don't know if I'm the first to send in their brand new 360 S for repair here (my lazy ass hasn't checked the entire thread, I'll admit it.), so if I'm the first: Hooray me.

[quote name='Regian']Update from my issues:

To recap: My power supply gave me a red light of death no more than 24 hours after buying my 360 S. I requested a replacement power supply the same day.

So today, UPS comes and delivers my brand new power supply. I'm excited and head upstairs to plug everything in and get back to gaming on my 360.

Not so fast...

The new supply goes red the second I turn my 360 on. I am livid.

Long story short, my console is going in for repair on Monday. It's going to be roughly two to three weeks to repair. I would return it back to GameStop, but my dumb ass threw away the box.

I don't know if I'm the first to send in their brand new 360 S for repair here (my lazy ass hasn't checked the entire thread, I'll admit it.), so if I'm the first: Hooray me.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you made sure your Power Cord was snug in the console and power brick? I hear those were problems with Jasper 360's. Also, try plugging the brick directly into the wall or into a surge protector.

[quote name='Pck21']Ok I have a question that might seem odd...does the new 360 come with an HDMI cable? The link provided from the Solo Mods site said it only came with an A/V cable? I hope that's not right. If so, I am not giving GS my HDMI cable. fuck that noise. Can anyone with one of the new 360s on hand put my fears to rest?[/QUOTE]

Nope, no HDMI cable included, just the A/V cable.

Hadn't checked my box until now because I just used the HDMI cable I had plugged in already when I switched to the Slim.

[quote name='spideymike']I didn't see this in the thread search at all. I was using the USB flash drives to transfer file saves and I noticed that the original Xbox games saves aren't transfering. To those of you using the transfer kits to transfer the files - is it fullying copying the original Xbox game saves too?[/QUOTE]
According to the chart Here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981974

USB drives aren't allowed to copy/move original xbox games. Your gonna need a transfer kit for that.

[quote name='KingBroly']Are you sure you made sure your Power Cord was snug in the console and power brick? I hear those were problems with Jasper 360's. Also, try plugging the brick directly into the wall or into a surge protector.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Tried a few different outlets, too. Nothin'.

To those who bought the new Xbox 360 "slim", when was your console manufactured? It should be on the back of your system.

Mine was on 05-13-2010

[quote name='GioSH']According to the chart Here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981974

USB drives aren't allowed to copy/move original xbox games. Your gonna need a transfer kit for that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I have a transfer kit, so I should be good.

fuck. I have the transfer cable but can't fucking find the data transfer disc. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumb question but would it be safe to use those clorox disinfective wipes to wipe fingerprints and dust off the new slim, i really want to keep this one dust free?

Alright I just connected my new Xbox 360 slim to my TV but am not getting any color to show up on the screen for some reason. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to technology, so I'm probably just doing something stupid. I'm using the standard composite cables that the system came with to hook my 360 up to my HDTV (I stupidly traded in my HD cables cause in with my old system since I couldn't find the original ones)...is that the problem? I would think HDTV's can still utilize standard cables too. I've pretty much put the cables into every possible jack on my TV and still no color. I've googled this extensively and couldn't find anything pertaining to my situation, so I figured I might as well ask you guys to see if you had any suggestions. Thanks a lot if anyone can take some time to help me.

My new 360 doesn't seem to recognize the $9 transfer cable I got from buy.com :(
Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I thought a message would pop up when it was plugged in.

[quote name='chakan']My new 360 doesn't seem to recognize the $9 transfer cable I got from buy.com :(
Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I thought a message would pop up when it was plugged in.[/QUOTE]

Not 100% sure yet, but maybe you need the transfer kit installation CD too?

[quote name='spideymike']Not 100% sure yet, but maybe you need the transfer kit installation CD too?[/QUOTE]

New "Slim" 360's have the transfer software already installed, so no disc is required.

Hmmm...in that case I have no idea. I did find my transfer cable disc. Needed to migrate stuff from my brother's 20gb hd to my old 120gb hd.

Quick question about transferring data. When you transfer, do you still need to re-download content to make it accessible without being connected to live?

Dumb question but would it harm the slim's finish if i were too wipe the dust and fingerprints off with a clorox disinfective wipe if so would be better?

I noticed today that my Guitar Hero "Legends Of Rock" data was corrupt after transferring from thumb drive. Wonder how many of my game saves got bunked.

[quote name='spideymike']Hmmm...in that case I have no idea. I did find my transfer cable disc. Needed to migrate stuff from my brother's 20gb hd to my old 120gb hd.[/QUOTE]Pretty sure it was because I was using a $9 Chinese cable from buy.com. Spent the exorbitant $20 at Gamestop for the official Micro$oft cable, (no disc in package, btw)and it is currently working fine.

If anyone needs the official Microsoft cable, PM me. The other cable is going in the trash.

OK I finally picked up my unit from Gamestop and have a question from you. When my console is on and running a disc, there is a faint fluttering sound that comes from the system if I get close and listen carefully. I cannot notice it at a normal distance.

However after hearing everyone talk about how silent it was I was just curious if this was normal. It is still light years quieter than my old launch system, just trying to make sure that nothing is potentially wrong with it out of the box.

[quote name='spideymike']Thanks! I have a transfer kit, so I should be good.

fuck. I have the transfer cable but can't fucking find the data transfer disc. :/[/QUOTE]

I posted a thread a couple days ago about not being able to transfer xbox files with a usb drive and asked if I could transfer them using a transfer cable and people said no. If for some reason you manage to transfer them somehow with a cable make sure to post about it.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']OK I finally picked up my unit from Gamestop and have a question from you. When my console is on and running a disc, there is a faint fluttering sound that comes from the system if I get close and listen carefully. I cannot notice it at a normal distance.

However after hearing everyone talk about how silent it was I was just curious if this was normal. It is still light years quieter than my old launch system, just trying to make sure that nothing is potentially wrong with it out of the box.[/QUOTE]I get the same sound at random times with or without a disc spinning (even when idling on the dashboard). I have no idea what it is then. I thought it was just the cords in the back of my entertainment system, but this proves me wrong. Anyone else have this issue?

[quote name='Ma12kez']I get the same sound at random times with or without a disc spinning (even when idling on the dashboard). I have no idea what it is then. I thought it was just the cords in the back of my entertainment system, but this proves me wrong. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE]

I hear a noise clicking type but I think it is the HD loading up my content as I have alot of content on my hd already. But this only happens when i'm in a game and say I hit the guide button and go to the dashboard then I see the loading icon and hear the clicking noise so I just eject the game and it loads up to the dashboard right away then I close the tray and everything is fine. Not sure what it is but i'm assuming it is the hard drive.

I plug my old harddrive into the transfer cable and the other end into the 360s. It does not appear to be recognized and even if I use the disc it does not work. It is recognizing the old harddrive as a generic USB drive rather than a licensed 360 drive. Anyone else have this problem?

Ive tried it quite a few times now and still no luck. I even use the disc that came with the original transfer cable in an effort to force the popup and it won't work. For some reason it thinks it's a USB flash drive...

No I've actually never used a USB drive in either console. I've run into some people on the xbox forums who are having the same issue. Hopefully I get a resolution before Friday or I miss out.

[quote name='BleedBlue08']I plug my old harddrive into the transfer cable and the other end into the 360s. It does not appear to be recognized and even if I use the disc it does not work. It is recognizing the old harddrive as a generic USB drive rather than a licensed 360 drive. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

I know this will sound really stupid but did you check to see if the 250gb hard drive in your new 360 is pushed all the way in? I think I read somewhere that sometimes the hard drives were not pushed all the way in for some reason on some of the newer 360's.

That could be a possibility and I'll check when I get home, but I am able to see the 250gb in the memory screen with hexic and everything. Today I'm going to try and contact xboxsupport on twitter and see if I can get a response.

I'm guessing, based on bleedblue's question, that you can use one of the older transfer cables as well? I know you don't need the cd, but I wasn't sure about the cable.

Well my Elite fucking died yesterday. E76, which I had never seen before. Apparently something to do with the ethernet port being dead. Really pissed because I was going to sell it literally next week, putting it towards the new model. So, things are ahead of schedule now and I'm going to wind up getting a lot less for it. Someone remind me of my three dead XBox consoles when the next generation of stuff comes out and it's decision time.

I'm hoping MS support can transfer my licenses to my new console - since you apparently have to have your old one on and connected when you start the process, but getting support to do anything even slightly out of the ordinary sounds like an exercise in futility. Fortunately I have a transfer cable left over from when they were free so I can move the actual content, but the license transfer is probably going to have to wait until I get the Elite repaired before I sell it.

Anyone have any experience with trying to get MS to transfer your licenses off a dead system?

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm hoping MS support can transfer my licenses to my new console - since you apparently have to have your old one on and connected when you start the process, but getting support to do anything even slightly out of the ordinary sounds like an exercise in futility. Fortunately I have a transfer cable left over from when they were free so I can move the actual content, but the license transfer is probably going to have to wait until I get the Elite repaired before I sell it.

Anyone have any experience with trying to get MS to transfer your licenses off a dead system?[/QUOTE]

You don't even need to have your old system to transfer things. You just need whatever console you're going to be transferring them to and have access to microsoft's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone's fan gotten louder?

I swear mine has...the room is cool, it's on a flat surface, and it's not hot underneath.

The fan isn't loud, it's just sounds a bit louder than before...almost like a light clicking.

[quote name='tgk2044']I'm guessing, based on bleedblue's question, that you can use one of the older transfer cables as well? I know you don't need the cd, but I wasn't sure about the cable.[/QUOTE]

If you didn't get an answer yet, yes. I used the one that came with my 120gb HDD, and it worked fine.

[quote name='seanr1221']Has anyone's fan gotten louder?

I swear mine has...the room is cool, it's on a flat surface, and it's not hot underneath.

The fan isn't loud, it's just sounds a bit louder than before...almost like a light clicking.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed a slight uptick in how loud mine gets, but as I pointed out earlier... a ton of the noise I notice comes from the power brick. Overall, I think it's just growing pains of new parts sort of 'breaking in', or whatever, and it's still worlds quieter than my old one. I only notice the noise when I'm at the dashboard... once I'm in-game with sound, I don't hear it unless I'm listening specifically for it.

Quick question, I have the slim, but have never used a normal black wireless controller. Is the controller included with the slim the same as the black one, or is it different?

[quote name='tgk2044']Quick question, I have the slim, but have never used a normal black wireless controller. Is the controller included with the slim the same as the black one, or is it different?[/QUOTE]

the analog sticks are black as opposed to grey on the regular black controller. the plastic on the front (where the mic plugs in) is also black as opposed to grey on the other controller. lastly the guide button is more "mirror-like" on the new one as opposed to "silverish" on the old one. there may be more thats all I know off the top of my head...

yeah the guide button is shiny/glossy I guess you can say and the wired headset (which isn't worth a crap by the way) is all black and looks nice but that's about it.

bread's done
Back