The Official I have the Xbox 250GB" Internal HDD-Built in Wifi N and impressions.

Power bricks for the old 360 run about 40$ if you can find one that fits your system.
I transfered the important saves from my old HDD to my new one with a flash drive.
You can copy hexic with a flash drive as well, but it also comes with the new system. If you have a lot of stuff to transfer, the cable is the fastest way.

[quote name='Ziv']Power bricks for the old 360 run about 40$[/QUOTE]

I almost went for one off CL for $25 about 3 days before I got my Slim. Glad I flaked on that one.

Okay, I read the worthless instruction manual for the new xbox and it doesn't mention the beeps at all. Not the biggest deal, but I'd still like to turn it off. If anyone finds out, please post info.

[quote name='Ziv']Okay, I read the worthless instruction manual for the new xbox and it doesn't mention the beeps at all. Not the biggest deal, but I'd still like to turn it off. If anyone finds out, please post info.[/QUOTE]

open the xbox and rip out the small beepng speaker . problem solve. i know someone who did that to his car. ding ding ding the key is still in the ignition ... ding ding ding rip the speaker out. done

[quote name='Gamer SDP']anyone know how much a power unit (brick and adapter) and a set of AV cables (the cheapest default ones not component) cost? should be under $20 I hope, need these to trade in an extra system.

also for this new "Slim", what data can be transferred over? is it just a gamertag profile and gamesaves or can dlc/updates/patches also be transferred via usb (larger capacity ones)? xbla games and game installs I'll just redo manually. I don't really want to mess with using transfer cables and all that if a quick usb move will suffice.

oh and will the Slim's video/audio cables (even though I'll just use HDMI) work with the older 360s?

edit:
and is there a way to transfer "Hexic HD"?[/QUOTE]

hexic hd comes pre-installed on all new 360's so it's already on there. once you transfer all ya content using the transfer kit it'll transfer all of your content from one hd to another. however, I don't know about regular xbox items as everything on my old hd was for 360. I haven't tried transferring from usb flash/thumb drive but I heard it's the same thing anyways. the older av cables work supposedly but I don't have any to try and I only use hdmi myself.

When I upgraded my Pro from 20GB to 120GB, I was able to transfer everything (via memory card) other than Hexic HD. I put in a trouble ticket with MS and since it was preinstalled and there is no option to download it through the Marketplace, they gave me a code to redeem and allow me to download it. You may have to go that route. It took a few days.

[quote name='chakan']Do you need a disk with the transfer cable?[/QUOTE]

Not with the slim it already has the transfer software pre-loaded.

thanks for the answers.

I ended up finding a power unit on ebay for under $10 shipped as well as an e74 unit that I'll just send in to Microsoft. I'll bring in my current system for the trade in and keep the other as backup.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']360 Red Dot of Death, Insufficient Ventilation Error Msg - Images

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

[/QUOTE]

pySfc.jpg

Looks like the guy had it vertical on the right side of his cabinet.

Also, where's the Chrome on your XBOX 360 Letters and your eject button?

That image has been all over the internet, of course the first guy to get a RDOD or RROD on their site will get a lot of hits, for all we know he was an idiot and put it in the corner of that cabinet or wrapped it in a towel just for attention.

The pic below is what my Slim looks like
20100619-8funrkac2g9ajm2de4k3acbtkj.jpg

Not sure where to stick this so...... I saw two 360 S' in stock at Toys 'R' Us in Gainesville, FL. No special signage or anything to draw attention to them. Didn't ask if they had more in stock as the electronics guy was busy

[quote name='BingoBrown']They showed off the 360 Slim, although slim seems a bit of a misnomer. [/QUOTE]

In all fairness, it was never called "slim" to begin with.

[quote name='kylerg']Retailers make insane margin off cables.[/QUOTE]
When I worked at Best Buy (99-02) USB cables were like $25/ea and with employee discount we would get them for under $5/ea, and those were just the cheap brands. Monster Cables are the most ridiculously overpriced cables you can find.

I have been using a D-Link Wireless "G" Router that only has one antenna on it and have been getting a lot of lag and even trouble finding matches on MW2. Do you think if I switch back to my Belkin Wireless "G" router with 2 antennas would that help at all?

I have a hard time believing it's your hardware that's the problem and not your internet connection source to your place. I've never had a problem where it was because of the hardware type.

[quote name='ajh2298']I have been using a D-Link Wireless "G" Router that only has one antenna on it and have been getting a lot of lag and even trouble finding matches on MW2. Do you think if I switch back to my Belkin Wireless "G" router with 2 antennas would that help at all?[/QUOTE]

I know I can't find any matches on MW2 if I'm plugged into my router....if it's directly from wall (live in apt) to 360...it works fine. Just a thought.

I"m still debating what to do here. I've got a 60 GB Pro from 2008. My warranty runs out in September of this year and I can get the new slim for 90 bucks which seems to good to be true. I guess I only get a 9 month warranty but it still takes me up until June and if there's a fatal flaw, it should show up before then I assume.

Anything either good or bad as far as current owners know that will help decision. I'm at 70% to go through with it and 30% to stick with what I have

[quote name='hhhdx4']So has anyone else gotten the overheat error? I havent, but my console is getting pretty hot and making me paranoid :p[/QUOTE]

I noticed it does it pretty warm but I'm not too worried. I keep lots of open space around my console. However, I was still thinking about putting a Squaretrade warranty on this. $48 for 3 years, $22 extra for accidental damage.

[quote name='Cephiros']I noticed it does it pretty warm but I'm not too worried. I keep lots of open space around my console. However, I was still thinking about putting a Squaretrade warranty on this. $48 for 3 years, $22 extra for accidental damage.[/QUOTE]

How do those warranties work? Seems too cheap for a third party company and seems like a scam. How is the warranty cashed in if need be? Would love more info on this if anyone can help

[quote name='jdktech2010']How do those warranties work? Seems too cheap for a third party company and seems like a scam. How is the warranty cashed in if need be? Would love more info on this if anyone can help[/QUOTE]

I'm still researching it myself but I do know their site is www.squaretrade.com. I do know they got started in the game a long time ago protecting Ebay auctions.

So far, I found it if you're still under Mfg warranty, they would help you get it resolved with Mfg. If they don't replace it, your Sqauretrade warranty would come into play. After your Mfg warranty expires then you deal with them directly.

I know the $70 would pretty much cover everything except lost & stolen.

So I don't feel like searching through 5000 posts about the new xbox so I'll ask this here. My new xbox comes in from Amazon today and I want to transfer my HDD to it. What stores have these transfer cables in stock so I can decide which would be easiest to buy from so that I can just return the cables when I'm done using them. Already checked Walmart and they don't have shit and Gamestop's return policy was created by Hitler.

[quote name='Thorgouge']So I don't feel like searching through 5000 posts about the new xbox so I'll ask this here. My new xbox comes in from Amazon today and I want to transfer my HDD to it. What stores have these transfer cables in stock so I can decide which would be easiest to buy from so that I can just return the cables when I'm done using them. Already checked Walmart and they don't have shit and Gamestop's return policy was created by Hitler.[/QUOTE]

Used to be you could just request them from MS and they'd send you one - that's how I got mine. However, I believe they charge you now (10 bucks maybe?). I've never seen them in stores, although I admit I never looked closely for them.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Used to be you could just request them from MS and they'd send you one - that's how I got mine. However, I believe they charge you now (10 bucks maybe?). I've never seen them in stores, although I admit I never looked closely for them.[/QUOTE]

They've begun to ship them to stores specifically because of the new model. If they haven't shown up yet, they should be around soon. My best recommendation would be Gamestop... if anyone has them yet, it's them.

If you're worried about returning them, that's not my concern. Keep 'em or sell them to someone on here. Easy.

Just got my xbox and borrowed my dad's infrared thermometer and measured the temperature of the side fan vent twice. The first time was after it was on for about 20 minutes sitting idle on the dashboard. All I did before that was recover my gamertag. The temperature then was a range of 109-125 degrees Fahrenheit. Now, after about 45 minutes of playing Transformers WFC multiplayer, the temperature of that side fan vent is a range of 125-138 degrees Fahrenheit. When I set it to Celsius it read about 50-58 degrees.

I don't know what temperature computer hardware should be, but is this too hot, about right, or what? I have my new xbox laying horizontally on a hardwood floor under the desk my TV is on with a good 2-3 feet empty space around it.

Thorgouge - assuming the heatsink on the CPU/GPU is doing a good job of moving the heat (which it most likely is), I would say those temps are nothing to worry about. Granted the actual temperature of the chip will be higher than the air venting out, probably by a half-decent amount, but modern CPU and GPU designs are rated to handle 80+ C (176+ F) temperatures with no ill effect. I would only legitimately be worried if I saw the vent temperature was something like 70-75 C (158-167 F) or higher since that would mean the actual chip would probably be running 90 C or higher, which would almost definitely be bad in the long-run. ;)

[quote name='KaneRobot']Used to be you could just request them from MS and they'd send you one - that's how I got mine. However, I believe they charge you now (10 bucks maybe?). I've never seen them in stores, although I admit I never looked closely for them.[/QUOTE]

The stores are carrying them now. $19.99 MSRP. I've seen them at BB and GS. I still have mine from getting an elite, so I'll just use that one

Question for those that have traded in their old 360 for the new one. Does anyone regret doing it? I mainly want to do it because of how noisy mine is, but even if I trade in some of my games with it, I'll come out of pocket for about $100 after tax. I'm not sure if that's worth it just to reduce the noise. I have a Falcon chipset Pro that has been repaired once and will be out of warranty in Oct. So I guess it would increase my warranty by a little longer. I just can't decide if it's worth it.

[quote name='ajh2298']I have been using a D-Link Wireless "G" Router that only has one antenna on it and have been getting a lot of lag and even trouble finding matches on MW2. Do you think if I switch back to my Belkin Wireless "G" router with 2 antennas would that help at all?[/QUOTE]

N routers are much more reliable in my experience. It's a worthy investment.

Okay, another dumber question that's probably been answered before. I transfered my old HDD data to the new Xbox with the data transfer cable. Then, I went to the Xbox website and migrated my licenses. It signed me out then in and then the page is telling me that I did it and cannot transfer again for a year. How come I never downloaded anything to my Xbox like it said it would? Right now it took me to my purchase history section of my account. What do I need to download in order to activate the licenses to my console?

[quote name='Thorgouge']Okay, another dumber question that's probably been answered before. I transfered my old HDD data to the new Xbox with the data transfer cable. Then, I went to the Xbox website and migrated my licenses. It signed me out then in and then the page is telling me that I did it and cannot transfer again for a year. How come I never downloaded anything to my Xbox like it said it would? Right now it took me to my purchase history section of my account. What do I need to download in order to activate the licenses to my console?[/QUOTE]You've done everything correctly. You just need to re-download EVERYTHING for the licenses to activate on that console. Just browse through that "purchase history" section and select which ones you want. You can select all, but the max to queue up is 30. In other words, just wait until some downloads finish and then select more. If you want to check if the licenses transferred, sign in to your Gamertag but do not connect to Live. Then just try to play an XBLA game offline and see if the system will let you.

[quote name='chakan']Do you need a disk with the transfer cable?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ajh2298']Not with the slim it already has the transfer software pre-loaded.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! Got just the cable from buy.com in 4 days for $9 shipped. Waiting for GS to get its next shipment at or before the 9th. Trading in my old system + some credit I had= hopefully a more stable system.

I'm just tired of Mail it to Mexico, the game.

[quote name='Thorgouge']Okay, another dumber question that's probably been answered before. I transfered my old HDD data to the new Xbox with the data transfer cable. Then, I went to the Xbox website and migrated my licenses. It signed me out then in and then the page is telling me that I did it and cannot transfer again for a year. How come I never downloaded anything to my Xbox like it said it would? Right now it took me to my purchase history section of my account. What do I need to download in order to activate the licenses to my console?[/QUOTE]

go here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

It was easy.

I looked up all the reviews on Squaretrade and they were highly reviewed on various sites so I pulled the trigger for a warranty. 3 years, total cost $50 since I did find a 10% coupon code but had NY state tax. It pretty much covers everything except lost, stolen, and such.

I ment to ask this question here but has anyone, after powering down their new 360 slim taken out the hard drive after a few hours of use to see how hot the hard drive gets? This might be a concern considering how tight the case is and there is no vents for it.

[quote name='bsesb2003']Is the wi-fi G compatible?[/QUOTE]

I would hope so.

For those that had used the wireless adapter, have you noticed a difference connection-wise when on LIVE? I would think the built in wifi is comparable if not 'better" than the adapter.

[quote name='bsesb2003']Is the wi-fi G compatible?[/QUOTE]

Yes. It is B/G/N I think. Most wireless NICs don't include A standard anymore.

again:

For those that have used the wireless adapter (the official one before wireless-N), have you noticed a difference connection-wise when on LIVE? I would think the built in wifi is comparable if not 'better" than the adapter.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']again:

For those that have used the wireless adapter (the official one before wireless-N), have you noticed a difference connection-wise when on LIVE? I would think the built in wifi is comparable if not 'better" than the adapter.[/QUOTE]

I know you're asking for official users but I did have one of those 3rd party ones from Linksys. It didn't freaking work at all. However, with the built in wifi. I am quite surprised how good it is. No hiccups on HD/SD Netflix, none on BFBC2 MP and streaming content from my home computer work really well. I have it connected N so I'm sure that helps.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Here's how I have my 360 setup when it's at home. Sub is not in use while I have the 360 on.

[/QUOTE]
So I assume it works fine in the vertical position? I've seen a few people saying that it feels dangerously hot at the top when in that position.

I haven't had any problems, I haven't placed it horizontal since I got it. You see those two wood pieces? It lifts the 360 up off the sub so air can get under or escape under. If you ask me, having my room a sauna to start with would be more an issue for it than air circulation.

I have a feeling if I put it in the shelf area where the PS3 is that would also be more of an issue because the vent would hit the top shelf and bounce right back down making it harder to cool the system although if I did do that setup I'd have a small room fan blowing in from either side to help.

BTW, the vent is on the right side so there's nothing hindering the exhaust.

[quote name='Cephiros']I know you're asking for official users but I did have one of those 3rd party ones from Linksys. It didn't freaking work at all. However, with the built in wifi. I am quite surprised how good it is. No hiccups on HD/SD Netflix, none on BFBC2 MP and streaming content from my home computer work really well. I have it connected N so I'm sure that helps.[/QUOTE]

yeah that doesn't really help me :cry:. so the adapter did not work at all or the connection was just shitty (I'm assuming same N connection and router/internet setup)? my internet connection in general is meh (no N yet and it's mostly due to me being far from the router). the only [future] change in my 360 gaming is the internal wifi instead of using an adapter.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']yeah that doesn't really help me :cry:. so the adapter did not work at all or the connection was just shitty (I'm assuming same N connection and router/internet setup)? my internet connection in general is meh (no N yet and it's mostly due to me being far from the router). the only [future] change in my 360 gaming is the internal wifi instead of using an adapter.[/QUOTE]

That's prefaced it with I know you didn't need this info. Linksys gaming adapter/wireless bridge is not great all.

Only time I can compare the MS N adapter vs the new 360 internal is my brother's xbox around 2009 Xmas which seem pretty good. Just personal exp, internal thing seems a little quicker but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. Overall, I am happy with the current wireless performance.

bread's done
Back