The Official I have the Xbox 250GB" Internal HDD-Built in Wifi N and impressions.

I'd like to trade up since my Elite sounds like a turbine on a goddamn 747, but I have a feeling we'll have some early adopter blues just like with the original 360. I may just be being overly paranoid, but it's not like there isn't a precedent set with both the 360 and (to a lesser extent) the original Xbox. Maybe in the Fall.

Not being able to transfer XBox 1 data sucks. So glad I downloaded everything to both my 360 and OG XBox just before XBL was shut off for the older console.

[quote name='joshthegreat69']Do you guys think this is worth the purchase? I already have a 360 with a Wireless N Adapter and a 250 GB hard drive. With trade ins, I think I will end up spending around $50 (Probably GS credit, though) to upgrade. It doesn't seem much smaller..or much of an upgrade from a technical standpoint. The biggest plus is the Kinect port, and I am not sure if I care.

Yet I still find myself wanting one of these.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you are such a tool. Spending good money just for something shiny and new.

While I don't think the overheating problems are anything to actually worry about, it's enough to put me off getting one for a while.

Plus, yes, they are shiny and new, but I'm waiting on two things now: 1) they're inevitably going to release smaller HDD size models. 2) I want to see what the Kinect bundle will end up being.

Both will be introduced within 6 months, so I can hold out. As much as I'm not a big fan of Kinect, if there's any sort of bundle that ends up being a 'deal', I'd consider it. Once I got over my 'want new now!' lust, I realized that even with trading my old 360 in right now, I'm probably better off just waiting. Bottom line is that this *is* the 360 now, so we'll start to see prices come down whenever the old models finally get cleared out. No way MS lets $300 be their standard console price for too long, especially since they've marketed one for half that for a while now.

I was going to wait regardless of these pictures/videos coming out about overheating. I always give a console a few months to see what problems come about, especially with Microsoft.

Plus there are rumors of an even slimmer model coming out. I know MS recently confirmed an "Arcade" slim is coming this Fall, but there were rumors it could be a different design as well.

Currently, there is a smaller hd type out and it's a 120gb but it's only $20 cheaper so not even worth the wait really or anything. Saw it yesterday at best buy. Good luck and enjoy the wait.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Wow, you are such a tool. Spending good money just for something shiny and new.[/QUOTE]

why is he a tool? It's not like he is jumping on the bandwagon of the 360 and switching up fanboy sides or anything. Everything he mentioned is already installed on the new 360 slim so it's less items connected, taking up space and all. Also, the new 360 slim has more usb ports, kinect ready (which will cost extra later on) and some more stuff. This 360 slim is not the exact same thing as the previous 360's. It is more like an upgrade and it's by choice. Just like people who buy a new blackberry, iphone or other cellphone every so often. Same goes for vehicles, electronics, technology and such. It's just the human nature way of doing things. Everyone has their reason and I am glad I did my trade in to get the new 360 slim.

Wow, I'm surprised by the amount of problems with this. I was expecting it to be Flawless... that's a bummer. Why can't Microsoft get their shit together?

[quote name='intoxicated662']Currently, there is a smaller hd type out and it's a 120gb but it's only $20 cheaper so not even worth the wait really or anything. Saw it yesterday at best buy. Good luck and enjoy the wait.[/QUOTE]

No way a 120 'officially' launches at that price. Those 120's that are out now seem to be an anomaly that I don't think even Microsoft has actually addressed.

Whatever the 'lesser' model is, whether it's 120 or not, will clock in at $199 at the most whenever it officially comes out. There's no point in releasing a variation that's only $20 less.

Actually, if you think about it, this "shut-down to avoid overheating" message is a ways of guaranteeing no RROD or RROD-equivalent. By forcing the users to shut-down early, it keeps the clamps or whatever from melting and coming off.

[quote name='Rasen']Actually, if you think about it, this "shut-down to avoid overheating" message is a ways of guaranteeing no RROD or RROD-equivalent. By forcing the users to shut-down early, it keeps the clamps or whatever from melting and coming off.[/QUOTE]

True, but still very lame to do that instead of finding a way to keep it from getting to hot in the first place.

As I said the other day, it's fine if it's only popping up for people who have their 360 in a small cabinet where it doesn't get a lot of ventilation etc.

But if we start getting reports of people getting them with the 360 totally ventilated (mine sits on the hardwood floor beside my TV stand), then that would be pretty fucked up.

Time will tell on that once they've been out longer and more people post their experiences.

For me, it was the perfect storm:

-A couple of months ago, my bare bones original release 360 went all RROD on me; I kept it (20GB, no Wi-Fi).
-Traded in a bunch of stuff during the Gamestop extra 50% credit promotion.
-Told myself to wait till E3 before making any further descisions.
-Saw the GS trade in your old 360 for a slim promotion.
-Busted a little Towel Trick action and traded it in.
-Bought the Slim for $25 out of pocket.

Even if ol' Bessie hadn't kicked the bucket, I think I still would have taken GB up on this trade in offer:

-20GB is no way to live.
-With an "N" wi-fi, I will now go wireless
-Whisper quiet... it's nice, but not like I paid much attention to the noise before (sound system would be up to loud anyways).
-Looks cool... check.
-Kinect ready, sure my 2 year old will be excited to pet tigers.
-Will upgrade to HDMI
-Extra usb ports... i guess (I would like to know what you all would use those extra ports for).

But the number 1 reason I would have traded her in anyways:

-She's out of warrenty and probably would have died soon anyways.

This was a no brainer and I am extremely happy with my decision. No xbox or a new Slim; I'll take the Slim. New Arcade and a bunch of extra credits (still with a crappy 20GB HD and no wi-fi) or a new Slim; I'll take the Slim.

To each their own but for me, I'm freakin' stoked!!!

yea the gamestop trade in promo was the best ever. traded in my old arcade unit with 2 20 gig drives that were worthless. also traded in 2 controllers and got 210. getting a wireless n and 250 gig would cost me way more than the 90 bucks i paid. tried selling it on CL but too many people tried to lowball me as low as 60 bucks. screw them.

hopefully this new slim won't fail on me as i have 2 xboxs that have crapped out.

Love the look of the Slim 360 and noticed the controller just feels better. I've been using the same 360 controller for so long I didn't notice the little dots around the joystickers were worn away! Everything just feels more zippy.

Now it's taking forever to recover my gamertag...ugh.

Saw the "Gadget Pron" section of Attack of the Show on G4 today. They showed off the 360 Slim, although slim seems a bit of a misnomer. I'm surprised at how big it is. I was assuming it would've been smaller. Pretty much just looks like two inches off the length when compared to the Elite. Slimmer, yes, slim, not really.

Looks good though. Probably worth a trade-in at Gamestop for existing 360 owners without a large hard drive, or for those that need the wireless networking.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']Wow I'm really shocked these slims are having problems. Seriously Microsoft, wtf?[/QUOTE]

explain yourself

hey if I were to find one at a different store, do you think can I get my 50 dollars down as store credit at gs?

[quote name='shosh']explain yourself[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure either. There has been a few reported people having issues (what, 2?), but out of the tens of thousands shipped, that's a big deal? It's not like 1/3 are screwing up. I've had mine on for a few hours now installing games/transferring and it's been rock solid. I can't even hear it!

Got the slim last week and it was going great til tonight. Might just be the game has a bug but who knows. We were playing Indiana Jones 2 for about 2 hours straight and it locked up and I had to shut the Slim down with the front button. Came right back on and looked fine but we didn't try to play any more games.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I'm not sure either. There has been a few reported people having issues (what, 2?), but out of the tens of thousands shipped, that's a big deal? It's not like 1/3 are screwing up. I've had mine on for a few hours now installing games/transferring and it's been rock solid. I can't even hear it![/QUOTE]

I've not only had mine on, I've been taking it to work too so and haven't had any problems so far. Still.... : knock on wood :

It's been really great. This is what the 360 should've started out as in the first place.

all of you who are complaining about the 360 slim having problems supposedly cannot speak unless you have from your own personal experience. Everything I have read is far fetched and can vary as I have yet to have any problems with my 360 slim at all. So it all varies and mine has plenty of ventilation and I take care of mine. Anyone have proof that they are really having any problems with their 360? I saw a pic someone posted earlier but that type of entertainment system I would not put my new 360 in especially since it won't get alot of air.

[quote name='Oogie Da Bruce']For me, it was the perfect storm:

-A couple of months ago, my bare bones original release 360 went all RROD on me; I kept it (20GB, no Wi-Fi).
-Traded in a bunch of stuff during the Gamestop extra 50% credit promotion.
-Told myself to wait till E3 before making any further descisions.
-Saw the GS trade in your old 360 for a slim promotion.
-Busted a little Towel Trick action and traded it in.
-Bought the Slim for $25 out of pocket.

Even if ol' Bessie hadn't kicked the bucket, I think I still would have taken GB up on this trade in offer:

-20GB is no way to live.
-With an "N" wi-fi, I will now go wireless
-Whisper quiet... it's nice, but not like I paid much attention to the noise before (sound system would be up to loud anyways).
-Looks cool... check.
-Kinect ready, sure my 2 year old will be excited to pet tigers.
-Will upgrade to HDMI
-Extra usb ports... i guess (I would like to know what you all would use those extra ports for).

But the number 1 reason I would have traded her in anyways:

-She's out of warrenty and probably would have died soon anyways.

This was a no brainer and I am extremely happy with my decision. No xbox or a new Slim; I'll take the Slim. New Arcade and a bunch of extra credits (still with a crappy 20GB HD and no wi-fi) or a new Slim; I'll take the Slim.

To each their own but for me, I'm freakin' stoked!!![/QUOTE]

What was the refurb fee on the busted XBOX

Probably none; how is GS going to know it had RR'd an hour before he turned it in? So long as it boots up and isn't a mess they don't care.

[quote name='Fjordson']Wow. Feeling scared to buy one now. The space my current 360 has been in (with no problems) for about a year now is no bigger than in that picture.[/QUOTE]

If I were you, I would have no worries at all and don't believe everything you see or read on the internet. Even though the error message looks real, we have no idea if the user actually had sufficient ventilation. How do we truly know? He could have had his DVD's stacked on top and on both sides of the console. He could have had the thing wrapped in a blanket for all we know!

I plan on trading up this weekend and I am confident the new 360 S is going to rock!

[quote name='Properbostonian']If I were you, I would have no worries at all and don't believe everything you see or read on the internet. Even though the error message looks real, we have no idea if the user actually had sufficient ventilation. How do we truly know? He could have had his DVD's stacked on top and on both sides of the console. He could have had the thing wrapped in a blanket for all we know![/QUOTE]

And yet this type of response is exactly what the RROD garnered before it became widespread. There's nothing wrong with being cautious.

[quote name='Corvin']And yet this type of response is exactly what the RROD garnered before it became widespread. There's nothing wrong with being cautious.[/QUOTE]

Although you are correct, you have to remember that some new consoles will fail regardless of conditions. We all know MS isn't perfect and build quality isn't that great to begin with, but all technology hardware, new or not, can and will breakdown. The new 360s that you see on the internet that are broken may be outliers in this equation. Remember, there are hundreds or thousands of new 360s out there in the wild and it seems the great majority are running just fine, including mine. I've played 4-5 hour sessions and never had an issue with the power brick or an error.

Of course, it's always best to err on the side of caution, but please keep in mind that not everything you read on the internet is entirely true.

[quote name='kylerg']What was the refurb fee on the busted XBOX[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Pirate331']Probably none; how is GS going to know it had RR'd an hour before he turned it in? So long as it boots up and isn't a mess they don't care.[/QUOTE]

Pirate is correct; I got the full credit for my old xbox. It was officially RROD, but I did a little research and found that the Towel Trick (where you wrap it in towels to overheat) was a temporary fix and you could get a few hours/days worth of playtime in. I didn't need a few hours/days, I just needed about 5 minutes of it acting nicely while the GS employee plugged it in, put in a disk, played a few minutes of whatever game it was and was content to say it was a fully functioning xbox so he could give me the full credit.

I'll admit, although I had tested it at home and it worked perfectly, I was sweating it a little bit praying that it just last a little longer (it could have had hours/day for all I know, it just would have sucked royaly if it died on the table as I'm trying to get my credits). It performed pefectly.

Hack-double post.

I will also add that I've got some good use of of my new girl and she's looking and feeling good.

I may have undersold the "whisper quiet" aspect of the system. It's already proven itself. The other night I was playing some box, it was late and the kids were asleep. My wife comments, "Wow, it really is quiet." I had already forgotten about the late night hummer.

Still curious what people use all those usb ports for...

[quote name='Pck21']Remember, there are hundreds or thousands of new 360s out there in the wild and it seems the great majority are running just fine, including mine. [/QUOTE]

Right, but you are negating time. How old are these consoles? Days old. My first RROD was early... way early, maybe March after launch(?) long before anyone was posting about it, but that was still 4 months into it's life. I doubt there were any RROD issues the first week.

I want one of these eventually, so I hope they all don't start dying. Just keeping my eye out on developments.

Yep, it's definitely cause to be wary for sure. It's never good to hear of problems with hardware in DAYS after it's out as problems usually tend to take a few months to come out.

And again, hopefully they did more to solve the heat than just build in a fail safe to shut down the machine when it hits a certain temperature. Hopefully they didn't compromise that to have slower/smaller/quieter fans.

In any case, I don't plan to upgrade. My noisy Oct 2007 pre-falcon 360 is still running strong (*knocks on wood) and I'll just wait and buy a new one if it dies after the warranty.

[quote name='Oogie Da Bruce']Pirate is correct; I got the full credit for my old xbox. It was officially RROD, but I did a little research and found that the Towel Trick (where you wrap it in towels to overheat) was a temporary fix and you could get a few hours/days worth of playtime in. I didn't need a few hours/days, I just needed about 5 minutes of it acting nicely while the GS employee plugged it in, put in a disk, played a few minutes of whatever game it was and was content to say it was a fully functioning xbox so he could give me the full credit.

I'll admit, although I had tested it at home and it worked perfectly, I was sweating it a little bit praying that it just last a little longer (it could have had hours/day for all I know, it just would have sucked royaly if it died on the table as I'm trying to get my credits). It performed pefectly.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but this seems extremely shady.

Yeah, I'm always amazed people would buy a used 360. Then again most buying them probably don't follow the industry and don't know what the RROD is etc.

Don't see how this is shady. GS set up the parameters of the deal:

Bring in one thats working get credits.

This clearly adheres to there proposed contract, no shadiness.

Now if you want to get into shadiness, I would question GS's used system quality control standards. For GS management to believe they would not get any old, near death or revived systems is naive at best (they're not in the business of overlooking obvious risk and if they are then consider them schooled - business need to learn from their mistakes to grow or they die).

I gave a informed corporation what it asked for in return for store credits. For them to do no checks, repackage and sell to the general public as refurbished... that is shady (if that is in fact what they do).

Because that's what the problem is right? Them reselling the system? I don't see any Gamestop Used Systems, I only see Gamestop Refurbished Systems.

So what GS should really be doing I taking these returns, quality controlling them (refurbing as necessary) and then selling them. That's the real problem.

And if you really want to get into it, there's also the apparent issue of GS not wanting to honor there advertised deal in some locations. What's up with that?

I'm a gamer, this is just another game and GS got beat badly at it (their own game to boot).

You think they were making this offer out of the kindness of their heart. They thought they were going to cash in on this promotion by moving more units, getting product to resell at a markup and taking market share away from their competitors.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Copped my slim from Gamestop today, payed a little over 100 for it after trading in my old xbox, a controller, my old harddrive (made sure to back it up first on a few flashdrives), and my wireless connecter, I was gonna pay for a new HD anyways, so I figured I might as well get the slim. The finish on it is nice as hell, glossy black like the Old PS3.

No problems yet, having a big Harddrive is great too, because I can install all my games now, which is an amazing thing for those who haven't done it before, especially with these new game cases that eventually fuck up some discs.

Wifi has been great so far too, now I don't need a 150 ft cable to play on my our big screens anymore. 50" inch TV w/ HDMI and wireless never got any better.

[quote name='Corvin']Right, but you are negating time. How old are these consoles? Days old. My first RROD was early... way early, maybe March after launch(?) long before anyone was posting about it, but that was still 4 months into it's life. I doubt there were any RROD issues the first week.

I want one of these eventually, so I hope they all don't start dying. Just keeping my eye out on developments.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying, but you're kind of echoing what was I trying to say. I'm sure there launch consoles that also failed in the first week of releasing. That's just technology in general. I've had a ton of computer parts ship brand new to me DOA from multiple companies. Does that mean every particular part from that company is bad? Nope. It just happens.

Also, please be aware that Microsoft Xbox consoles have a very high failure rate. I've owned an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Playstation, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, and Xbox 360...actually 5 Xbox 360's. 3 of them RROD'd. The Xbox 360 is the only console that I have owned that has failed on me. I still own and play the rest to this day without issue. Not to mention EVERY one of my friends with a 360 has had RROD as well. All of them.

What's my point? 360s fail. They failed because of a known over heating issue that then damaged an internal component of the system. Supposedly, that issue has been resolved with the new Xbox 360 Slims because of the new motherboard design. Although some Slims may be dying due to a known/unknown error, user error, or are a simple outlier in a large equation, it's too early to tell. Give it a few months and then we'll see how many die off due to a defect of some sort.

[quote name='Oogie Da Bruce']
Don't hate the player, hate the game.[/QUOTE]

That's just a cop out. When can still have morals and self control and not take advantage of a crappy system.

I could never trade in an RROD system that I got working temporarily. Even though I LOATHE Gamestop, I wouldn't want to hassle the poor sap who buys it used and has to exchange it shortly there after.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's just a cop out. When can still have morals and self control and not take advantage of a crappy system.

I could never trade in an RROD system that I got working temporarily. Even though I LOATHE Gamestop, I wouldn't want to hassle the poor sap who buys it used and has to exchange it shortly there after.[/QUOTE]

You're missing my whole point.

I'm not trying to hassle a poor sap, I'm trading in a working XBOX to Gamestop.

If they do turn around and sell it as refurbished to that poor sap, I'm upset with GS.

I knew I should have left the last line of my rant off (it just had a nice ring to it). I know how people can gravitate to a singular point.

Pass on the grissle, stick to the meat.

It wasn't just the last line, the fact is it's not a working 360--it had RROD and you know the towel trick is a temp fix. So you know you're gaming the system a bit. You're not some evil person because of it or anything, but it's not something I could bring myself to do.

Just something that bothers me with this site. Too many have no problems doing things that are on shady moral grounds to save some money. Just the nature of cheap asses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll concede that I'm gaming the system.

I'll disagree that it is not a working xbox (works fine).

I'll agree I'm not evil (it's business - but how far off is that from evil?).

I'll thank you for your counter points (I actually really appreciate them).

I'll reassert that the onus is on GS to quality control all traded in systems before selling them as refurbished.

I'll ponder the meaning of shady.

I'll stop the thread jack and move on.

[quote name='Pirate331']It's been confirmed elsewhere that you cannot transfer xbox1 data. So any xbox1 DLC you may have, or games saves, are going to be lost.[/QUOTE]

Is there an official explanation for why this is?

I'm guessing that Microsoft wants you to rebuy these old games as DLC if you want to get the extra stuff they used to give away for free, but that's just my shot in the dark.

I could care less what happens to my old 360 at this point. If someone does buy it and it did die (I took care of mine and it still RROD) it's kinda their bad. They shopped at Gamestop and on top of that bought used. Buyer beware obviously.

I'm more surprised how easy it was to sucker (it seems) to have them buy my 360 and have to deal with selling it.

best buy had one left but I made an account on xbox.com so I guess I miss out on the free month of gold :( still enjoying it so far

[quote name='Oogie Da Bruce']Hack-double post.

I will also add that I've got some good use of of my new girl and she's looking and feeling good.

I may have undersold the "whisper quiet" aspect of the system. It's already proven itself. The other night I was playing some box, it was late and the kids were asleep. My wife comments, "Wow, it really is quiet." I had already forgotten about the late night hummer.

Still curious what people use all those usb ports for...[/QUOTE]

Before, it was a hassle because there were only 2 usb ports in the front and1 in the back. the one in the back was used by the wireless adapter, 1 in the front was used by my tritton headset and other was used up by my ipod. now, I can have the tritton headset plugged into 1 of 3 usb ports in the back, my ipod in the front and also my iphone in the front usb port(s). If I ever needed to plug in more things, i'd have 2 usb slots available on the back of the 360 slim. It's more convenient this way for me and i'm happy with it. Also, I have a usb rechargeable battery for my guitar hero guitar and I also have the wired rock band drums so yeah, those few extra usb ports do come in handy for some people like myself.

[quote name='intoxicated662']Before, it was a hassle because there were only 2 usb ports in the front and1 in the back. the one in the back was used by the wireless adapter, 1 in the front was used by my tritton headset and other was used up by my ipod. now, I can have the tritton headset plugged into 1 of 3 usb ports in the back, my ipod in the front and also my iphone in the front usb port(s). If I ever needed to plug in more things, i'd have 2 usb slots available on the back of the 360 slim. It's more convenient this way for me and i'm happy with it. Also, I have a usb rechargeable battery for my guitar hero guitar and I also have the wired rock band drums so yeah, those few extra usb ports do come in handy for some people like myself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that I had no idea.

I can see how those extra ports come in handy.

ok is it just me but the new xbox 360 S is a little bit too slow . take too long to install games on to the harddrive. loading is a little bit slower than my MW2 unit. just wonder if it just me .

anyone know how much a power unit (brick and adapter) and a set of AV cables (the cheapest default ones not component) cost? should be under $20 I hope, need these to trade in an extra system.

also for this new "Slim", what data can be transferred over? is it just a gamertag profile and gamesaves or can dlc/updates/patches also be transferred via usb (larger capacity ones)? xbla games and game installs I'll just redo manually. I don't really want to mess with using transfer cables and all that if a quick usb move will suffice.

oh and will the Slim's video/audio cables (even though I'll just use HDMI) work with the older 360s?

edit:
and is there a way to transfer "Hexic HD"?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back