The official lets bitch because we're still in college THREAD!

I actually love college.

2nd semester sophomore with 52 credit completed and taking 16 this semester. Dual major under business and will graduate in 4 years.

College is so draining. If anyone plans to take studio classes (I'm in architectural engineering), beware of many sleepness nights. I have 49 credits in 1.5 years and am taking 18 this semester. Only three more years to go.....

I just finished at Xmas. Took me 5 years for my bs. I'm waiting for my reimbursement from work so I can quit and find a job somewhere. Who wants to hire a computer programmer? I speak slightly better english then most indians.

[quote name='javeryh']... except if you work 14+ hours a day and get home and go right to sleep.[/QUOTE]

This is what my dad does too.... He's an exec at a bank. I feel bad for him, but he makes a shitload of money, and he got to where he was without an MBA, a true accomplishment.

I'm in my second quarter of college, have 30 credits to my name already (~5 credits a class, OSU is on the quarter system, had 14 credits from high school classes). Taking 20 this quarter, so I will be a sophomore a quarter early. I plan on taking summer classes so I can potentially be a junior the first quarter of my second year. :D

[quote name='mojoman5165']College is so draining. If anyone plans to take studio classes (I'm in architectural engineering), beware of many sleepness nights. I have 49 credits in 1.5 years and am taking 18 this semester. Only three more years to go.....[/QUOTE]

Studio classes are so much fun though. Sure you are tired and stay up all night a few times a week but you get to listen to music and build crap. Some of my best school-related memories from college happened in studio classes. You have to admit it's a lot better than Structural Analysis, Wastewater Management, Hydraulics or whatever other shitty engineering classes you are forced to take (I'm assuming you are majoring in Civil Engineering, right?)...

Man, this thread has me dreading college and the life after. Being a senior, I'm now sort of scared. I don't want to work an ungodly amount of hours, but being a fan of electronics and the such, I'm going to have to have a good-paying job. I plan on going to Marshall University this fall and study biology. I hope to go to med school and become a psychiatrist. College will be fun, at least that's what every one tells me, but I'm not the party type. Hopefully that will benefit me in the end; however, I am a procrastinator and it feels like that will never change. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

[quote name='loserkid']Man, this thread has me dreading college and the life after. Being a senior, I'm now sort of scared. I don't want to work an ungodly amount of hours, but being a fan of electronics and the such, I'm going to have to have a good-paying job. I plan on going to Marshall University this fall and study biology. I hope to go to med school and become a psychiatrist. College will be fun, at least that's what every one tells me, but I'm not the party type. Hopefully that will benefit me in the end; however, I am a procrastinator and it feels like that will never change. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

College isn't so bad. You'll work harder than high school but you can have more fun (even if you don't like to party.) Med school, on the other hand...

[quote name='loserkid']Man, this thread has me dreading college and the life after. Being a senior, I'm now sort of scared. I don't want to work an ungodly amount of hours, but being a fan of electronics and the such, I'm going to have to have a good-paying job. I plan on going to Marshall University this fall and study biology. I hope to go to med school and become a psychiatrist. College will be fun, at least that's what every one tells me, but I'm not the party type. Hopefully that will benefit me in the end; however, I am a procrastinator and it feels like that will never change. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

Seriously - become the party type. I'm not saying you need to go out and get drunk and go crazy to have a good time but these are going to be the last 4 years of your life with little to no responsibility, being surrounded by your friends and beer and girls everywhere. Don't be afraid to try new things or talk to the hot chick - you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. As long as your grades are decent - go nuts.

You guys are crazy, I go to the University of Florida and myself (along with just about everyone else I know) never wants to leave. Hell my brother graduated with a degree in Mechanical engineering just last fall ,and hes staying here atleast until this fall just to party. Anyways, Im a 2nd Year Electrical Engineering major, 68 credits earned with another 13 coming after this semester. GO GATORS!

[quote name='javeryh']Sorry to disappoint you but it only gets worse. At least in college you can surround yourself with people you like (or no one at all). You are just thrown together with random people for work and believe me, 95% of them will suck.[/QUOTE]
Nope, no one I like here. All my friends end up being back stabbing opportunists that are unwilling to be loyal to anyone but the coolest, or the one that gives them the greatest opportunity for sex. Yes, I've known a lot of people with all sorts of different personalities, and they all end up being the same.

At least with a job, I can get paid.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Tell me the secrets of this .5 credit you have? I do not know why... but it made me laugh.[/QUOTE]
Physical education classes here are only .5 credit.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Nope, no one I like here. All my friends end up being back stabbing opportunists that are unwilling to be loyal to anyone but the coolest, or the one that gives them the greatest opportunity for sex. Yes, I've known a lot of people with all sorts of different personalities, and they all end up being the same.

At least with a job, I can get paid.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's a pretty shitty attitude. I've have friends who are like that too, but yet I have friends who have been great. Have to take the bad with the good I guess.

5.5 years, 1 BS in Computer Science, 1 class away from my Masters in Computer Science.
I work full time and I consider this last class a chore.

[quote name='javeryh']Seriously - become the party type. I'm not saying you need to go out and get drunk and go crazy to have a good time but these are going to be the last 4 years of your life with little to no responsibility, being surrounded by your friends and beer and girls everywhere. Don't be afraid to try new things or talk to the hot chick - you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. As long as your grades are decent - go nuts.[/QUOTE]
What he said. Real life sucks, every day is the same, pretty soon years go by, and your like what the fuck just happened like the end of the movie Kids.

[quote name='docvinh']Wow, that's a pretty shitty attitude. I've have friends who are like that too, but yet I have friends who have been great. Have to take the bad with the good I guess.[/QUOTE]
It's hard NOT to have that attitude when it happens EVERY fuckING YEAR.

[quote name='docvinh']What he said. Real life sucks, every day is the same, pretty soon years go by, and your like what the fuck just happened like the end of the movie Kids.[/QUOTE]
Been there, done that. It gets boring after a couple years and your 100th headache.

Here's the formula:

* Go to a top notch college or university
* Go to a top notch graduate school (law, medical, etc.)
* Get a top notch job
* Make top notch money

Worked for me.

all this negativity towards college, yuck. I think the stat is that 1% of the world gets to go to college? It's really not so bad...and if it is that bad, well.........down the road, not across the street, emo boy :lol:

personally, i'm quite grateful to be here right now. but i'm 24 and have a little perspective on my life, after working for awhile. then again, most people I know who are done kind of got blindsided by the real world...

200+ credits (around 206 or so, last I bothered to check), 5.5 years insofar.
Have a BFA in Music (Performance) and Music Ed. Certification 48 states.
Working towards MM degree in Performance, currently.

The only thing I can complain about still is the fact that my body isn't taking all-nighters like it used to. When I was 19 and 20 it was something I can shrug off with a simple 30 minute nap. Nowadays I need around hours upon hours of multiple naps just to recover. This isn't good at all, especially since nowadays I have to pull more all-nighters just to make sure everything is up-to-date and ready to go.

Man, to have the old days back...

[quote name='sgs89']Here's the formula:

* Go to a top notch college or university
* Go to a top notch graduate school (law, medical, etc.)
* Get a top notch job
* Make top notch money

Worked for me.[/QUOTE]

heh, me too :D

For me college stared off great then just rapidly went downhilll as the years progressed. Freshman year ruled, sophmore year was pretty good, junior year was ok and now I'm in my senior year and its sucking. Most of my friends either transferred schools, ran into financial trouble and had to drop out, or pretty much have a different attitude just because they know a couple of the "cool people" in school, I know a couple of them and their morons. I'm glad that I commute because I can hang out with my true friends, which are my friends from high school. Right now I'm just hoping for senior year to be over because I can't stand anyone anymore.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Tell me the secrets of this .5 credit you have? I do not know why... but it made me laugh.[/QUOTE]

When I was at Iowa State University, every student had to take a 1/2 semester class that met once a week to orient you to the use of the library. It was a pass/fail class and had "homework" that taught you how to use the library. It was pointless, but required for every student. For that, you got 1/2 credit.

That's just my case for where I got my .5 credits.

TBW

PS It really pissed my freshman year roommate off that he had to take it. His goal was to graduate without ever going to the library.

I suppose since I'm still technically in college I should comment.

I have no idea how many credits I've taken (haven't bothered looking at a transcript lately)... I would estimate around.... 140? Been in school for some 6 years or so. Got my B.S. in comp sci in '03, then worked on my Masters full time for a year, got a full-time job making good money, so now "working" part-time on my thesis. Meaning I'll probably finish it in the next decade, though I'm debating putting a hard-stop date in for December - either finish it or quit. It's a good way to waste $3000 a year, I suppose. (And yes, my advisor is a dick, otherwise I would have been done a year and a half ago)

The point is, no one is joking when they say that college makes up the best years of your life. Well, maybe retirement might be good, can't comment on that yet. It's not all that surprisingly... you don't go to school to have fun the rest of your life, you go to school to get a good job to provide a good life for yourself and your future family. Sucks for you, but good for your kids. Working hard is better than living on a street corner.

I had a staple of maybe 5 good friends in college, but that was really good enough. Half of them and half of my good friends from high school will wind up in my wedding party next year, for what it's worth. You don't need to be uber popular to have fun, you just need to find enjoyment with a group of like-minded people.

got my BS in 5 years. It may seem to take forever, but don't quit. If you stop then the chances are really slim you'll ever finish.

[quote name='Apossum']all this negativity towards college, yuck. I think the stat is that 1% of the world gets to go to college? It's really not so bad...and if it is that bad, well.........down the road, not across the street, emo boy :lol:

personally, i'm quite grateful to be here right now. but i'm 24 and have a little perspective on my life, after working for awhile. then again, most people I know who are done kind of got blindsided by the real world...[/QUOTE]

I am really grateful to have been able to go to college and now be in law school, and I try not to lose sight of that. However, It's midnight and I still have to do the reading for my fucking property class. :bomb:

[quote name='Mex25']For me college stared off great then just rapidly went downhilll as the years progressed. Freshman year ruled, sophmore year was pretty good, junior year was ok and now I'm in my senior year and its sucking. Most of my friends either transferred schools, ran into financial trouble and had to drop out, or pretty much have a different attitude just because they know a couple of the "cool people" in school, I know a couple of them and their morons. I'm glad that I commute because I can hang out with my true friends, which are my friends from high school. Right now I'm just hoping for senior year to be over because I can't stand anyone anymore.[/QUOTE]

That's the total opposite of how it went for me. Freshman and sophomore years were the most miserable of my life, junior year was okay/good, and my senior year was fucking awesome. I made sure to really enjoy every moment of my senior year, because I knew I'd have much less time to do fun stuff after that.

Since I had to take Fall 2005 and the current semester off because of a medical withdrawal, I only have 28 units even though I am technically a sophomore. Sad.

I have a friend who graduated in 3 years as a nurse and now keeps making fun of me. She had lower grades than me in high school, had lower test scores, etc, and yet she graduated on time. Then I have the friends who have all the time in the world to study. Their parents give them credit cards that they can spend on anything that want; their parents pay the bill for them. They don't have to work to struggle to stay in school. I hate those people too since they dont' have to take a reduced courseload to work. Okay, I'm done bitching.

Edit: Oh, speaking about graduating and getting crap pay, my dad is a high school drop out and makes $80,000 per year + overtime, averaging out to over $100,000 per year. He works the assembly line and rolls wires up into...well, a roll. Too bad he disowned me; I could have used the money. :whistle2:(

I guess I'm still technically in College, since PSU is paying me to get my IT certifications over the course of the next few months-- I've been a graduate since well christ, 02' graduated with a BS in Comp Sci/Marketing.

I'm going to have to roll with the College is one of the better parts of my life. I know for some people it is a pain, more often than not because they need to take an extended amount of credit hours in the same timeframe others can take 115 or 120 credits to graduate. Most of my buddies had to do 4 1/2 or 5 years in order to get all their stuff pulled together, and that hurts the wallet quite a bit.

The most important thing that I could say now that I'm out in the working world, is that getting a BS or BA is paramount-- Even if you don't start working in the field that you first saw yourself in, you'll have more opportunities to earn a decent living with it.

Well, I have to say, this thread has me completely depressed. All this talk about life waning, I know what I'm doing once I hit the military: Keep going until I get old enough to retire, walk into an active combat zone strapped with grenades, and let them take me prisoner. Boom.

Marshall right across the river where I'm from. And my best friend graduated from there about a year ago and you can randomly spot him on WSAZ news either doing weekend sports once in a while, or covering the random story.

Javeryh, how long did Law School take you? I have always had interest, but after spending 5 years in school, not sure if I am too motivated to continue.

[quote name='b3b0p']Javeryh, how long did Law School take you? I have always had interest, but after spending 5 years in school, not sure if I am too motivated to continue.[/QUOTE]

I too spent 5 years in college (getting 2 degrees). I took 3 years off in between law school and college (I actually never considered law school until I was out of college for almost 2 years). I definitely recommend taking some time off to recharge your batteries. By the end of college I swore I never wanted to sit in another class or take another test again because I was just sick of it. If only there was a way to stay in college and not take any classes.

Law school took me the standard 3 years and it was great - I was a full time student again with no responsibilities other than my grades. Be warned though - your first year grades are all that matters. You have to study like you've never studied before and get a 3.7 or higher or you might as well never even go. At the beginning of your second year you will be going on interviews with firms and you will end up as a summer associate at one of them between 2nd and 3rd years. Based on your performance during that summer, you will be given an offer to rejoin the firm as an associate after you graduate and take the bar exam (everyone gets an offer though so no worries).

In order to get those interviews though, the firms just look at your first year grades - because that's all there is to go on. If you eff it up, you won't get any interviews (or any good ones). The law student who gets straight As first year and then straight Cs for the 2nd and third years will get a way better job than the student with straight Bs first year and straight As the last two. It's just the way it works so before you decide to go, make sure that you are willing to give a 200% effort to your first year.

The next 2 years are fun as hell though - the pressure is off and with only 15 credits a semester you should be able to work in a three day weekend for the remainder of your class schedules plus all that vacation/summer tim off - it's great. I'm paying for it now though. Long hours and no time off are the norm (but so is making a shitload of money). Plus, I don't even think I like what I do and I don't see myself being a lawyer for the rest of my life. Just be sure you want to go to law school, you are willing to put in the enormous effort your first year and that you ultimately want to practice law when you get out.

2 degrees in 5 years? You are a machine. You make me feel like a slacker. Spent my first year declared as a computer science major. Then I spent another year taking random classes for the university requirements. Spent another taking business classes because my dad, who is paying every penny for me and then some, said I would make more money, have less homework, and less stress. Then decided that computer science was the only thing for me, business is the biggest BS major and I could not take it. I can't believe companies actually regard business majors as credible graduates with degrees. No offense to anyone who is a business major.

I've been in college since the fall of 1999.....
I'm on my 3rd University since then, although I did stop off along the way to get an AS from a CC.
In that time frame I've probably had maybe 1 year to a year and half off from school. Got my AS in 12/03 and worked for a year in an unrelated field making decent money looking for something in my field, had to leave that job so I went back to school since I couldn't get work in my field. After I registered got a job in my field :)............. that only laster 3 months :( So in my second semester back full time I've get 92 hours with 15 being taken this semester leaving 32 more to go so hopefully only one more year and then I can find a job :)

College is great fun and all..... I just am ready to be done with it for a while pushing almost 6 years with only a few semesters off is kinda depressing

75 hours - year and a half to go
Switched from print jounalism to chemistry to management to finance - I have no idea what I want to do yet. Probably have to go back for another degree once I'm done :rofl:

[quote name='b3b0p'] I can't believe companies actually regard business majors as credible graduates with degrees. No offense to anyone who is a business major.[/QUOTE]

I couldnt agree more - I was in HR management for a while and it was just things that most intelligent people already know.

[quote name='MGMT 351'] If you treat people well, they will be inclined to be more productive. [/Quote]

And other such obvious shit like that.

[quote name='joevan']75 hours - year and a half to go
Switched from print jounalism to chemistry to management to finance - I have no idea what I want to do yet. Probably have to go back for another degree once I'm done :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='b3b0p'] I can't believe companies actually regard business majors as credible graduates with degrees. No offense to anyone who is a business major.[/QUOTE]

I couldnt agree more - I was in HR management for a while and it was just things that most intelligent people already know.

[quote name='MGMT 351'] If you treat people well, they will be inclined to be more productive. [/Quote]

And other such obvious shit like that.

[quote name='javeryh']I too spent 5 years in college (getting 2 degrees). I took 3 years off in between law school and college (I actually never considered law school until I was out of college for almost 2 years). I definitely recommend taking some time off to recharge your batteries. By the end of college I swore I never wanted to sit in another class or take another test again because I was just sick of it. If only there was a way to stay in college and not take any classes.

Law school took me the standard 3 years and it was great - I was a full time student again with no responsibilities other than my grades. Be warned though - your first year grades are all that matters. You have to study like you've never studied before and get a 3.7 or higher or you might as well never even go. At the beginning of your second year you will be going on interviews with firms and you will end up as a summer associate at one of them between 2nd and 3rd years. Based on your performance during that summer, you will be given an offer to rejoin the firm as an associate after you graduate and take the bar exam (everyone gets an offer though so no worries).

In order to get those interviews though, the firms just look at your first year grades - because that's all there is to go on. If you eff it up, you won't get any interviews (or any good ones). The law student who gets straight As first year and then straight Cs for the 2nd and third years will get a way better job than the student with straight Bs first year and straight As the last two. It's just the way it works so before you decide to go, make sure that you are willing to give a 200% effort to your first year.

The next 2 years are fun as hell though - the pressure is off and with only 15 credits a semester you should be able to work in a three day weekend for the remainder of your class schedules plus all that vacation/summer tim off - it's great. I'm paying for it now though. Long hours and no time off are the norm (but so is making a shitload of money). Plus, I don't even think I like what I do and I don't see myself being a lawyer for the rest of my life. Just be sure you want to go to law school, you are willing to put in the enormous effort your first year and that you ultimately want to practice law when you get out.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with most of this, let me refine a few of the points.

First, if you attend a top 5 law school, your first year grades don't even matter that much when it comes to getting a law firm job (even at a national, prestigious law firm). You know the old joke, what do you call someone who finishes last in his class at Harvard Law School? A Harvard Law graduate.

Second, your second and third year grades DO matter if you are interested in obtaining a federal court clerkship. These clerkships typically are for a year with a judge at either the district court or appellate court. They are considered to be VERY presitgious and will be a nice marker on your resume. But the judges DO care about how you've done throughout your law school career, not just your first year grades.

Finally, there is no question that you will work HARD at a law firm job. If you are not interested in working hard, please do not go to law school.

[quote name='sgs89']While I agree with most of this, let me refine a few of the points.

First, if you attend a top 5 law school, your first year grades don't even matter that much when it comes to getting a law firm job (even at a national, prestigious law firm). You know the old joke, what do you call someone who finishes last in his class at Harvard Law School? A Harvard Law graduate.

Second, your second and third year grades DO matter if you are interested in obtaining a federal court clerkship. These clerkships typically are for a year with a judge at either the district court or appellate court. They are considered to be VERY presitgious and will be a nice marker on your resume. But the judges DO care about how you've done throughout your law school career, not just your first year grades.

Finally, there is no question that you will work HARD at a law firm job. If you are not interested in working hard, please do not go to law school.[/QUOTE]

This is definitely true - I should have mentioned that I was speaking as someone who only had an interest in going to a large firm and making a lot of money. I never once even considered a clerkship because I don't ever want to be a litigator or visit a courtroom and I needed money ASAP after graduation.

[quote name='b3b0p']2 degrees in 5 years? You are a machine. You make me feel like a slacker. Spent my first year declared as a computer science major. Then I spent another year taking random classes for the university requirements. Spent another taking business classes because my dad, who is paying every penny for me and then some, said I would make more money, have less homework, and less stress. Then decided that computer science was the only thing for me, business is the biggest BS major and I could not take it. I can't believe companies actually regard business majors as credible graduates with degrees. No offense to anyone who is a business major.[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. My sister graduated a year ago with a Business degree. She's 22 making $60,000 a year with her own office doing practically nothing. Not complaining though....I got nice Xmas gifts.

But back on topic, I still got a year to go which will make it 5. Changed majors 2 years ago from Electrical Engineering to Biology.

[quote name='Kenobi13']54 credits after one year. Im taking 16 right now. I miss sleep, my family, life......[/QUOTE]

I wish I could take that many credits in one year. However, I can't afford that many classes nor do I have the time to go to that many classes with my work schedule.

Back to the subject at hand...

I don't have that many classes left before the Police Academy and while I have no money and no free time, the classes are pretty great. Can't wait to get out on the street and bust some heads. :D

"Decent for a dropout, but God, I fucking hate computers. "

That made me laugh really hard. :D

EDIT: in the second semester of my first year as a Business major. Leaving for a one year exchange to Japan next March, full credits for Business classes as well.

2.5 years, 43 credits.

It should be more like 3.5 but I took a year off and transferred from a Catholic University to another school.

I lost quite a few credits (new school wouldnt take theology).

42 credits (by the end of second semester)

1st year (second semester)

School is so meh for me. I'm always broke, like everyone else. I also commute to school and all I do now is go to sleep, work, or school.

I have a question to everyone that says college is a blast. I don't have many friends at college and I guess I sort of feel like I'm "wasting" this time in my life, should I rush for a frat next semester or just keep concentrating in school? I'm also afraid of not becoming part of the "network" if I don't start socializing soon.

bread's done
Back