The official lets bitch because we're still in college THREAD!

[quote name='VXT']
I have a question to everyone that says college is a blast. I don't have many friends at college and I guess I sort of feel like I'm "wasting" this time in my life, should I rush for a frat next semester or just keep concentrating in school? I'm also afraid of not becoming part of the "network" if I don't start socializing soon.[/QUOTE]

Depends. Are you a party/drinking type of person? If so, I think it's easy to socialize, at least here; just show up at a party, and you're immediately accepted.

For me, I go to parties but rarely drink. I do shots of vodka, but I don't drink enough to get drunk, since I have class at 8AM every weekday, and work after those classes, then work on the weekends as well in the morning.

Unfortunately I have no idea how frats work/operate/are. Canada :(

My credits are complicated

3.5 years, 122 units total. (108 units in the past 3 years, + 14 units last semester)

Of the 108 units from my community college, the UC system would only accept 70 as maximum transferrable units. So that makes me with 84 units completed. This semester I have 13. I need 120 to graduate, which is in spring of 2007.

Got associate degree in Biology last summer. Now currently a molecular and cell biology major.

[quote name='VXT']I have a question to everyone that says college is a blast. I don't have many friends at college and I guess I sort of feel like I'm "wasting" this time in my life, should I rush for a frat next semester or just keep concentrating in school? I'm also afraid of not becoming part of the "network" if I don't start socializing soon.[/QUOTE]
If you like drinking, it will be for you. If not, you probably won't have fun, or feel alienated. If/when choosing a frat, make sure it's for you and make sure that the guys are cool with you. I ended up quitting my frat because the guys in the house ended up being major drags and not being all that cool with me. There's a bit more to it beyond just that, but I'm not going to go into it right now. I don't see much differentiation between frat houses. They all are quite homogenous.

I've since stopped drinking in school, just because it really is the same thing all the time. Spend money on booze, wake up feeling like crap with the taste of beer still in your mouth (or cigarettes). Unfortunately, there isn't much else to do down here, and most people seem to fear deviating from the bar scene.

If you feel that MUST go drinking because otherwise you're pissing your life away, do so. However, you shouldn't really go drinking simply because of peer pressure. I've subcumbed to peer pressure, and many times I regret it.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']My credits are complicated

3.5 years, 122 units total. (108 units in the past 3 years, + 14 units last semester)

Of the 108 units from my community college, the UC system would only accept 70 as maximum transferrable units. So that makes me with 84 units completed. This semester I have 13. I need 120 to graduate, which is in spring of 2007.

Got associate degree in Biology last summer. Now currently a molecular and cell biology major.[/QUOTE]

So you're one of THOSE MCB majors. J/k, hehe. There are some negative stereotypes against MCB students at Cal, especially the premed one. It's a hard major though so if you make it, then props to you.

I've finished 2.5 years of college (transferred schools after the first year).

I have 59 credits so far and I'm taking 12 this semester.

I have no major and I'm not sure what to do. I was originally going to be a graphic designer, but I noticed there are a million graphic designers who have no work.

[quote name='VXT']
I have a question to everyone that says college is a blast. I don't have many friends at college and I guess I sort of feel like I'm "wasting" this time in my life, should I rush for a frat next semester or just keep concentrating in school? I'm also afraid of not becoming part of the "network" if I don't start socializing soon.[/QUOTE]

I joined one and I love it. I enjoy hanging out with my brothers and drinking. Some fraternities WILL make you drink, ours doesn't... but it is encouraged. One of the guys who joined last semester has never touched a drink and never will because his father had an alcoholism problem. We respect his choice, but there are other fraternities on campus that probaly won't. Just find the right group of guys and learn about it. It is a great way to meet people and job recruiters love to see that you have something outside of a GPA.

[quote name='depascal22']wish i would've went to college........thinking about taking some classes this year[/QUOTE]

Do it. Everyone with the opportunity to go to college should take it without hesitation.

I'm in my 3rd year in a community college. I work and go to school full time. I barely decided to major in business when I was submitting applications to transfer at the end of November just before the deadline thanks in part to some post by javeryh in some other college thread.

So far I have 71 units and I'm taking 18 units this semester. Statistics, Marco-economics, micro-economics, business law, and accounting.

I can't really bitch about college (except for the tranfser counselor), I'm very grateful that I have the opportunity to go to college.

[quote name='javeryh']Do it. Everyone with the opportunity to go to college should take it without hesitation.[/QUOTE]

Right after I got out of the air force, I landed a job that pays nearly six figures with great benefits and then my daughter came along. I don't really need to go to college now, but I think that's what's drawing me to go. Plus it would be a nice security blanket to have a degree in something in case I get laid off/sick/maimed in a horrible clown car accident/etc.

[quote name='Storamin']I joined one and I love it. I enjoy hanging out with my brothers and drinking. Some fraternities WILL make you drink, ours doesn't... but it is encouraged. One of the guys who joined last semester has never touched a drink and never will because his father had an alcoholism problem. We respect his choice, but there are other fraternities on campus that probaly won't. Just find the right group of guys and learn about it. It is a great way to meet people and job recruiters love to see that you have something outside of a GPA.[/QUOTE]
Most recruiters don't care about someone being in a social fraternity, unless they were in the same one. They only care about honors, or genre sepcific fraternities.

[quote name='DT778']

So far I have 71 units and I'm taking 18 units this semester. Statistics, Marco-economics, micro-economics, business law, and accounting.

I can't really bitch about college (except for the tranfser counselor), I'm very grateful that I have the opportunity to go to college.[/QUOTE]

I have a friend that took statistics three times. She just could not get it.
I recently took a macro-economics class, have fun learning all those formulas.

[quote name='DT778']I barely decided to major in business when I was submitting applications to transfer at the end of November just before the deadline thanks in part to some post by javeryh in some other college thread.[/QUOTE]

Man, javeryh changes lives.

I can't really bitch about being in college because i'm here voluntarily and can leave whenever I feel like it. Then again, i'm not even in a college- just a shitty tech school.

javeryh - what do you grades have to be to even get into law school. i guess it probably depends where you go to school, but what is the average?

I have 46 credits now and taking 15 this semester. I am in an electrical engineering program right now and know someone else who did the same thing and went to law school

I would say 3.5 or above to go to a above-average to great law school. But it also depends on your LSAT scores. A high score in that will greatly increase your chances in a good school.

bread's done
Back