The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...lobs-attack-platforming-fun-for-your-ps-vita/

Some info about Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack:
So you are probably thinking “Mutant Blobs Attack? Never heard of it. Why should I care about this game? Also, why does Reddit always have so many cat pictures on the front page?” Well, the first thing you need to do is unsubscribe from /r/aww. After that’s done, let me tell you a few reasons you should care about Mutant Blobs Attack.

First, you enjoy platformers but are maybe a bit tired of the typical offerings, and are looking for something fresh. You were thinking of buying a Vita, and need something fun to play in between your sessions of Michael Jackson the Experience. You also have a sense of humor and are tired of games that take themselves too seriously. Maybe you also enjoy monster movies that feature the destruction of all mankind, or perhaps have a slight Blob fetish?

And, if all of the above items apply, then this is REALLY the game for you.

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack is a follow up to Tales from Space: About a Blob released early 2011 on the PlayStation 3 (via PSN). Mutant Blobs Attack differs from its predecessor in a number of ways. We want to leave SOME surprises for those who buy the game, so without giving too much away here is some more info about what’s in Mutant Blobs Attack.

This time around the Blob has some new abilities that were designed to take advantage of the Vita’s inputs. The first of these is Telekinesis, which allows the Blob to move objects/platforms around in the game world. These objects are indicated to the player with a green dot, which can be touched and dragged on the Vita’s touchscreen. Having movable objects in the world allows us to challenge the player with unique platforming puzzles.

The second new ability the player will encounter in the game is Rocket Mode. While in this mode, the Blob begins floating in the air, and is controlled using a rocket thruster. While flying around, the back touch pad of the Vita can be used to apply an additional “boost” of speed to the Blob.

Those of you that played Tales from Space: About a Blob will already be familiar with the Magnetic power, which is making a return. Magnetism allows the Blob to stick or repel from fixed metal surfaces, and also pull / push smaller metal objects that are not fixed in place. This power is often used in the game to solve puzzles.

As a break to the normal platforming gameplay, and utilizing another input feature of the Vita, we have spread tilt-based bonus levels throughout the main story. We made these levels all take place in unique and interesting environments like a wooden labyrinth, an old-school retro hand-held device, and maybe even Tom Selleck’s moustache (Editor’s note: Tom Selleck moustache level is not actually included in the game).

We are really proud of how the game turned out, and can’t wait to share it with the world! With the Vita and the game coming out very soon, we really hope that you guys & gals will take some time to check it out.

For up-to-date development news, make sure to follow us on Twitter @DrinkboxStudios and @MutantBlob, and check out our blog at www.mutantblobsattack.com. Also, feel free to shoot us any questions you have in the comments below, and we will try to answer them the best we can!

So for those that have been keeping track of people with Japan systems what size card would be good for this system? What size are the downloadable games?

[quote name='Ragnorok64']So for those that have been keeping track of people with Japan systems what size card would be good for this system? What size are the downloadable games?[/QUOTE]

From searching the net:

AR Combat DigiQ: Friend Tank Battalion – 220 MB
Army Corps of Hell – 598 MB
Asphalt Injection – 724 MB
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend – 3180 MB
Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die – 121 MB
Dark Quest: Alliance – 1057 MB
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention – 1619 MB
Dream Club Zero Portable – 2835 MB
Dynasty Warriors Next – 1485 MB
Everybody’s Golf 6 – 1100 MB
F1 2011 – 1435 MB
Little Deviants – 869 MB
Live Tweet – 5760 KB
Lord of Apocalypse – 1427 MB
Mahjong Fight Club – 793 MB
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD – 1225 MB
Minna to Issho: Friend Network – 168 MB
Monster Radar – 1640 MB
Nico Nico – 14 MB
Power Smash 4 – 1241 MB
Ridge Racer – 561 MB
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen – 1057 MB
Touch My Katamari – 744 MB
True Night of the Kamaitachi: The 11th Visitor – 793 MB
Uke-torne – 16 MB
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 1350 MB
Uncharted: Golden Abyss – 2777 MB

[quote name='iqubal']From searching the net:

AR Combat DigiQ: Friend Tank Battalion – 220 MB
Army Corps of Hell – 598 MB
Asphalt Injection – 724 MB
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend – 3180 MB
Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die – 121 MB
Dark Quest: Alliance – 1057 MB
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention – 1619 MB
Dream Club Zero Portable – 2835 MB
Dynasty Warriors Next – 1485 MB
Everybody’s Golf 6 – 1100 MB
F1 2011 – 1435 MB
Little Deviants – 869 MB
Live Tweet – 5760 KB
Lord of Apocalypse – 1427 MB
Mahjong Fight Club – 793 MB
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD – 1225 MB
Minna to Issho: Friend Network – 168 MB
Monster Radar – 1640 MB
Nico Nico – 14 MB
Power Smash 4 – 1241 MB
Ridge Racer – 561 MB
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen – 1057 MB
Touch My Katamari – 744 MB
True Night of the Kamaitachi: The 11th Visitor – 793 MB
Uke-torne – 16 MB
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 1350 MB
Uncharted: Golden Abyss – 2777 MB[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the research.

So I got to play a bit with the demo unit at Best Buy. That system is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. All they had in it was Little Deviants so I didn't get a good chance to use the buttons. They seem so small that I wonder if I'll run into the same issue with the 3DS with my hands getting cramped up while playing Mario Kart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played the demo unit at my local GameStop and was surprised at the screen size as well. For some reason pictures made it seem smaller so I was amazed that they could cram such a resolution in a screen like that but it is more believable now (despite having seen a slightly bigger res on an iPhone 4). Still, the screen being this big is preferable and looks gorgeous. The unit had no defects at all and the rear touchpad had no scratches.

Judging by how it felt, the d-pad is the best d-pad I've ever used on a portable. The first gen PSP's d-pad absolutely sucked and made diagonals impossible. The Slim's d-pad was really good and worked well with fighting games. The Vita's d-pad feels brilliant and should perform better than the ones on any PSP system.

Out of the demos they had the only ones I would pick up are Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Wipeout. The other games weren't interesting to me. Do wish they had a demo for Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 so I can make a final decision as to which game I want to buy (although full versions can't always be judged by their demo). As it stands I'm leaning towards picking up UMVC3.

EDIT: Virtual Tennis 4 was pretty good too and had impressive graphics.

New firmware update due Wednesday.
Adds a map app, video recording, and a couple other minor things.

Also the Mac version of the Content Manager software will be ready.

[quote name='docvinh']Does anyone have any concrete info about it being able to make Skype calls?[/QUOTE]

Skype app isn't out yet.

Maybe the wrong place to ask, so forgive me. Is anyone offering a bundle that isn't 3G? I have 0 desire for the 3G version but can't seem to find any bundles without it.

[quote name='dallow']New firmware update due Wednesday.
Adds a map app, video recording, and a couple other minor things.

Also the Mac version of the Content Manager software will be ready.[/QUOTE]

A map app? I wonder how that will use GPS in the 3G model?

[quote name='DarkonJohn']A map app? I wonder how that will use GPS in the 3G model?[/QUOTE]
The description did say you can use it to get directions, see where you are, and view sat images of the area.
I'm guessing it can be used in the same way Google maps works on phones.

Man it should not be this hard to decide what combo of system, memory card and game to get. I feel Sony may have put too many choices out into the market.

I agree completely. I've literally changed my mind on combinations/packages about 10 times in the past week. Even now I'm not totally sure what I'm going to end up with.

The bright side seems to be that there likely won't be a shortage of these things floating around, so I'll likely just see what I can walk into a store and buy on the 22nd.

Here's some pics of the Map app:

X1Bx6.jpg

suvke.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-plus-confirmed-for-vita-launch-details-here/

Some info on what new with Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus:
If you’re a fan of ninja games, PS Vita won’t leave you wanting – or waiting. The system’s upcoming launch will be supported by two ninja-centric titles: Shinobido 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, and I spent some time with the latter this weekend. NGS+ is an updated version of an early PS3 title, which itself was an enhanced version of an original Xbox game that debuted back in 2004. Despite some control choices which have clearly evolved over the past 8 years, the source material holds up pretty well in 2012.

Playing through the first few levels of the NGS+, memories from nearly a decade ago came flooding back to me: the placement of treasures, decapitating enemies with a single charged slash (hold down the triangle button to, um, execute), and the difficulty. The Ninja Gaiden series resides firmly in the “tough, but fair” challenge department. When you die – and you will – it’s usually not due to AI cheapness, but rather a mistimed block or a delayed dodge. That doesn’t mean the game can’t get frustrating, but when you prevail, the frustration melts into delicious satisfaction. For those having trouble, NGS+ adds Hero Mode, which helps automates some blocking and dodging to help you along. There’s no shame in it.

Ninja Gaiden was one of the best looking games around when it first debuted, and NGS+ still looks nice on PS Vita. While it doesn’t approach an Uncharted Golden Abyss level visually, it’s better looking on Vita’s OLED than an 8 year old game ought to look.

Tecmo’s Team Ninja has added a number of features to take advantage of the new Vita hardware, such as six axis arrow shooting and touchscreen prompts to enhance your Ninpo magic attacks. I had trouble adjusting to the new controls in first-person view, but fortunately, they’re optional.

The most significant addition to NGS+ is the new Ninja Challenge mode, a series of snack-sized trials can be completed in just a couple of minutes – geared toward gamers on the go. Each of these 76 missions provides a straightforward goal, such as clearing a certain amount of enemies, taking on a boss character, or engaging in a weapon-specific objective. This is also where you can use use alternate character Rachel, and try out new costumes and weapons that you might not have earned yet in the story mode.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma arrived on PS3 before the advent of PSN Trophies, so NGS+ is the first to incorporate the addictive baubles. I took a look at the Trophy list, and most of the rewards involve killing lots of dudes with each weapon, or by mastering techniques such as the powerful Izuna drop.

I can confirm that Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus is no longer a “launch window” title – it’ll be ready for launch day title. If you’re picking up a PS Vita on February 22nd, or are looking for a primer for the upcoming Ninja Gaiden 3, you should give Ryu Hayabusa’s first modern adventure a look.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/06/army-corps-of-hell-for-ps-vita-a-taste-of-multiplayer/

And some info on Army Corps of Hell's multiplayer:
It’s not too often you see a game from Square Enix employ the use of death metal guitar, screamo vocals, and copious amounts of blood.

Army Corps of Hell brings a new level of action to PS Vita. After being defeated in battle, the King of Hell is burned down to a meager corpse, stripped of his powers, and banished from his throne. He uses the last of his strength to take command of a legion of weak-minded yet bloodthirsty goblins to reclaim his throne.

To annihilate the demons of Hell, you’ll control an army of up to 100 goblin soldiers with unique classes and abilities. In true Square Enix fashion, a new synthesis system lets you combine materials dropped by fallen foes to create new equipment for your troops. Customized equipment can change your goblin soldiers’ looks and upgrade the abilities. We’re making use of the various features of the PlayStation Vita and we’ve implemented ad-hoc multiplayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z8Py8nbuj8

Check out the latest trailer above, which shows brutal ad-hoc (local multiplayer action with up to four players.)

The rear touchpad can be used to command your Goblins to play instruments—activating special properties. You can use this to revive your hero, rejuvenate your soldiers, and inspire your army to increase their strength! Skillful play is rewarded with substantial benefits and a greater edge against the demon horde.

Using these strategies and some help from friends, you can tackle even greater challenges and pillage the rarest loot in the game.

I’ve really enjoyed the theme of the game, and I’m really getting into the soundtrack. Watching the trailer has me aching for some Refused or Woundeep! I love that Square Enix is expanding our pool of titles with games like Army Corps of Hell. For more information and imagery for Army Corps of Hell, ‘Like’ us on Facebook.

Army Corps of Hell looks like a game right up my alley. The soundtrack is also wicked sick. Only thing is it seems more like a $20-ish game to me but still fun looking nonetheless.

So, who's buying?

I'm picking up Army Corps of Hell, Shinobido 2, and Katamari to start. (and i guess Little Deviants will be part of the bundle I get)

EDIT: Forgot I also have Hot Shots Golf on order as well.

I've got Hot Shots Golf, Lumines, Uncharted, and Wipeout pre-ordered for launch. I'll probably get Katamari a few weeks later.

I like that Sony's revamped their game pages for Vita games to explain how each game uses the various system features:

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/psv-stardrone-extreme.html#psvita-platfrom-play

Stardrone Extreme for Vita allows for cross-platform saves and uses the same leaderboards on both versions.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/psv-hustle-kings.html

Hustle Kings lets you play against PS3 players.

I was able to try out the Vita this Saturday at Gamestop. I was surprised how small the sticks, face buttons and d-pad are but it doesn't take too long to get used to that. The Vita is about 90% screen but I'm not complaining about that. I was able to try out FIFA and that game looks great and ran perfectly smooth.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Vita and have FIFA and Hot Shots preordered and ready to go.:whee:

so much hype. I feel like a little kid again, except now I have a credit card. I even googled for "wallet chastity belt" to see if there was a way to keep myself from preordering more shit.

[quote name='handsomepete']so much hype. I feel like a little kid again, except now I have a credit card. I even googled for "wallet chastity belt" to see if there was a way to keep myself from preordering more shit.[/QUOTE]

The answer to your google search is wife ;)

[quote name='dallow']So, who's buying?

I'm picking up Army Corps of Hell, Shinobido 2, and Katamari to start. (and i guess Little Deviants will be part of the bundle I get)

EDIT: Forgot I also have Hot Shots Golf on order as well.[/QUOTE]

Getting : Uncharted, Wipeout and Hot Shots and probably Super Stardust.

Waiting for Gravity Rush as well.

I'm getting super stoked for next week! I've got Uncharted and HSG lined up for launch, and then MLB 12 will be the next game. If FIFA 12 is as good as people say it is, then I might just splurge (like I haven't already!) and pick it up as well. Very excited!

[quote name='jza1218']The answer to your google search is wife ;)[/QUOTE]

That will cost you more that preordering a bunch of crap.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']No umd passport for america, that blows.
http://kotaku.com/vita/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really torn on this. On the one hand there was the additional cost of having to "buy" the game even with the import which may have deterred me from picking everything up I owned digitally. On the other hand I'm not planning on getting rid of my PSP and UMDs anyway so I'll still be able to play them all.

I feel like overall I'm still sort of stuck in limbo whether I should take the plunge and buy it. I feel like I need just one more push in the "right" direction to commit to it. A UMD passport program may have been that push but who knows what else they might throw at us in the next week or two.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']No umd passport for america, that blows.
http://kotaku.com/vita/[/QUOTE]

I almost drunk preordered a Vita over the weekend.

Glad I did not now.

No UMD support unless you pay again (well, not just *again*, but pay the preposterously inflated compared to retail store price of PSN downloadable titles)? No PSOne game support? Overpriced memory cards? A dead on arrival 3G system? Among the most desirable titles on the system are remakes of existing PS3 titles?

fuck all this noise. I'll come back for Uncharted later, but I've lost virtually all my interest in a Vita now.

[quote name='mykevermin']I almost drunk preordered a Vita over the weekend.

Glad I did not now.

No UMD support unless you pay again (well, not just *again*, but pay the preposterously inflated compared to retail store price of PSN downloadable titles)? No PSOne game support? Overpriced memory cards? A dead on arrival 3G system? Among the most desirable titles on the system are remakes of existing PS3 titles?

fuck all this noise. I'll come back for Uncharted later, but I've lost virtually all my interest in a Vita now.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This does blow but who is buying a Vita to play PSP games? I just wished they had said this sooner so that I could have unloaded my PSP stuff months ago.

Now remember, the UMD Passport thing in Japan didn't mean you got the digital version free after the PSP scanned your UMD.
It meant you could buy the digital version at a discount.

And it was a limited selection of UMD games, not the whole library with discounts set by the publisher.

[quote name='mykevermin']I almost drunk preordered a Vita over the weekend.

Glad I did not now.

No UMD support unless you pay again (well, not just *again*, but pay the preposterously inflated compared to retail store price of PSN downloadable titles)?[/quote]

No console/handheld maker has ever instituted a backwards compatibility program when the media type changes. The fact that Sony suggested it and then pulled out sucks, but it has no precedent.

No PSOne game support?

Perhaps a conflict of the PSN store and the playstation suite store. They do have plans to announce something related to it, though.

Overpriced memory cards?

Nothing new, or surprising.

A dead on arrival 3G system?

What does it being DOA have to do with your enjoyment of the system? It will still work, even if it only sells 1 unit.

Among the most desirable titles on the system are remakes of existing PS3 titles?

So you would rather people not port PS3 games? They can only have so many launch games, and a port is a less risky for a system that may be iffy.

^ EDIT: It does suck that they announce something and then kill it. If you don't think it's a big deal, go spend your money. I think you have every right to buy the product. After all, a company like Sony relies on your unyielding loyalty to their product, as if you didn't pay for their stuff on day one, they'd have to (a) make good on their promises or (b) try to appeal to end-users with incentives.

As for Playstation Suite/PSN conflicts, get real. PS Vita stuff is teeming on the Japan PSN store right now, and has been since launch. Purchasing, downloading, and copying is (for now) identical to the PSP system. You can go spend ¥4000 on Marvel vs Capcom 3 DLC and costumes. How amazing that you can get grifted by Capcom on the go now. What a gaming fucking revolution.

Well, it's part of a whole in terms of "Sony is half-assing it."

PSP is amazing in that it's the only handheld (in a pre-smartphone world) that didn't die immediately upon trying to challenge Nintendo.

i.e., people bought the system. It's what? 7 years old? And it got a ton of support. Lots of good exclusives, tons of great RPGs, etc.

It's a great system with an existing consumer base. So a smart business would try to convince those consumers to move on with the company as they introduce a new console.

They have done nothing to entice me as a PSP owner to move to the Vita. They've done a lot to make me think I can wait at least 8-12 months on this system.

I don't get compensated for my time and my hype, like FriskyTanuki. I'm not a paid marketer. I'm a dude who buys games and game consoles. I'm smart enough to not have brand loyalty for its own sake. So Sony needs to do more to convince me to buy their system. I'm not spending $320-350 to play Uncharted by itself, so I can easily wait.

[quote name='skubish']Agreed. This does blow but who is buying a Vita to play PSP games? I just wished they had said this sooner so that I could have unloaded my PSP stuff months ago.[/QUOTE]

I played PSOne RPGs on my PSP like a motherfucker. Just sayin'. I would love to continue to do so on the new system.

[quote name='Anexanhume']No console/handheld maker has ever instituted a backwards compatibility program when the media type changes.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo DS/DSLite says hi.

[quote name='elessar123']Nintendo DS/DSLite says hi.[/QUOTE]

Turned it into an accessory/combination port. You think they're going to have an accessory UMD port? The point has been that there has never been a program to institute backwards compatibility where it wasn't done by using the original media.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's a great system with an existing consumer base. So a smart business would try to convince those consumers to move on with the company as they introduce a new console.

They have done nothing to entice me as a PSP owner to move to the Vita. They've done a lot to make me think I can wait at least 8-12 months on this system.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the PS3 bombed after they removed PS2 support didn't it? :roll:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, I get paid by publishers and Sony. It's nice that you are fine with pulling the most ridiculous shit out of your ass to make your point.[/QUOTE]

You know, you might not be paid employee of Sony but your unwillingness to criticize any of their moves coupled with the majority of your posts being Sony-related makes it seem like you could be on their payroll. I have no idea if you are or not but the way you've gone after me in the past for merely voicing my doubt about the Vita's future really makes it seem like you just can't take any negativity toward Sony.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Turned it into an accessory/combination port. You think they're going to have an accessory UMD port? The point has been that there has never been a program to institute backwards compatibility where it wasn't done by using the original media.

Yeah, the PS3 bombed after they removed PS2 support didn't it? :roll:[/QUOTE]

He's not talking about long term success but rather the fact that BC works to bridge the gap between 2 hardware generation platforms.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']He's not talking about long term success but rather the fact that BC works to bridge the gap between 2 hardware generation platforms.[/QUOTE]

Which it has, via the PSN store. They simply aren't discounted. The PS3 can't play PS2 games at all anymore (unless they are re-released in HD versions that you pay for), yet it's doing fine.

bread's done
Back