The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='NamPaehc']I think your big question is, if the PS3 can upconvert PS2 games, they why not DVDs?

And your trying to figure out if it is actually upconverting the images because the lowest the PS3 can display is 480p and the PS2 games/TV are at 480i.[/quote]

I guess it is upconverting 480i to 480p properly then, I wish Sony would have explain what this actual update is in their official 1.5 description.

[quote name='oasisboy']My ps3 was $650 with tax.[/QUOTE]

OMG! Then I guess all PS3s are $650!

So, if the PS3 is capable of upscaling from 480i to 480p, then it should have the capability of upscaling to 1080p as well, right?

Thanks Sony! My nice new Plasma can only produce a 480p picture because of your shitty system. Thanks for caring about the people who spend $600 on your system.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']$500.[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, the common 60 gig is $600. I have not seen a 20 gig in a month.

[quote name='gizmogc']Last I checked, the common 60 gig is $600. I have not seen a 20 gig in a month.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean they don't exist. If you are going to complain about the $600 price tag, know that there is a choice for a cheaper model. And if you are going to complain as much as you two do, know that you have the choice to not buy one (probably would've been smarter, in my opinion).

[quote name='gizmogc']Thanks Sony! My nice new Plasma can only produce a 480p picture because of your shitty system. Thanks for caring about the people who spend $600 on your system.[/QUOTE]

Both Sony and MS need to get their BC act together. Although, to be fair, they both met their promises as far as BC goes.

D/L speed sucked last night. It got to 47% on the 1.50 update before I stopped it after an hour as I had to shut it down. I just went to playstation.com and got it there.....sucks though, slow ass PS Network.

[quote name='doubledown']D/L speed sucked last night. It got to 47% on the 1.50 update before I stopped it after an hour as I had to shut it down. I just went to playstation.com and got it there.....sucks though, slow ass PS Network.[/quote]

Damn, PS Network is that slow, how do online games perform? Are they laggy?

From what I hear (and from my own limited experience playing Resistance online) multiplayer is pretty much flawless. It's just downloading stuff that's slow for some people. It's always pretty fast for me though.

Anyword if Sony has a solution to getting the Gutiar Hero Controller to work with PS3? Anytype of official USB adapter for our old controllers and stuff.

[quote name='MadFlava']Anyword if Sony has a solution to getting the Gutiar Hero Controller to work with PS3? Anytype of official USB adapter for our old controllers and stuff.[/QUOTE]

I think so....not sure though as I've never played the game.

[quote name='MadFlava']Anyword if Sony has a solution to getting the Gutiar Hero Controller to work with PS3? Anytype of official USB adapter for our old controllers and stuff.[/quote]

No Sony has said they aren't going to do anything about it offically, leaving it up to third parties to deal with third party add ons.

Look up the Nyko adapter... Think it is coming out in March, but it WILL work withguitar hero.

[quote name='NamPaehc']No Sony has said they aren't going to do anything about it offically, leaving it up to third parties to deal with third party add ons.

Look up the Nyko adapter... Think it is coming out in March, but it WILL work withguitar hero.[/QUOTE]

I think any USB to PS2 controller adapter will work. I just found out mine (that I bought for a PC years ago) works just fine for using PS2 controllers. Which is great since I don't want to shell out $50 for extra controllers. Haven't tried it for guitar hero yet since I haven't bothered to transfer my saves.

Normal adapters don't work for things like Guitar Hero, since the PS3 forces you to push the PS button when you start a PS2 game. They do work for normal DualShock controllers.

[quote name='icruise']Normal adapters don't work for things like Guitar Hero, since the PS3 forces you to push the PS button when you start a PS2 game. They do work for normal DualShock controllers.[/quote]

Yep. I'm sure people have gotten home and tried the current adapter out only to be disappointed to see it won't work how they expected.

I just noticed that you can hit Square while on the music list to resort items instead of hitting triangle, then scrolling to group and resetting it... This new or have I just been over looking this?

If PS3 offered proper backward compatibility in 480p at launch I could have been sold on the system. I have tons of PS2 games (more to last me years of gaming) and one downside is they look terrible on my 45 inch LCD TV unless the game supports progressive scan. The PS3 was suppose to offer me a solution when it came out and it failed to deliver. Also, it would have been nice if there was some option to make games look better running on PS3 hardware like the PS2 did with PS1 games. DVD playback with upconversion would have also been a good reason for me to buy one. So hopefully, Sony will add these features with future firmware releases but the sooner it happens the sooner I'll buy a PS3.

EDIT: I just checked the playstation forums and so far they said that web browsing was made faster. Not sure though since I'm still DL'ing it and Sony hasn't updated their site yet.

I noticed the update to 1.51 as well. What the hell does "support for PLAYSTATION 3 format software titles expansion" do anyways? Are there Ps3 games out that don't work with the PS3 or something? C'mon Sony help us out with little explanation here!!!

[quote name='Chitown021']I noticed the update to 1.51 as well. What the hell does "support for PLAYSTATION 3 format software titles expansion" do anyways? Are there Ps3 games out that don't work with the PS3 or something? C'mon Sony help us out with little explanation here!!![/quote]

I read on the boards that it might be so that the system will correctly read the blu-ray discs with more memory on them.

[quote name='imascrub']how do you guys find out the link to the firmware download so you can download onto a flash drive?[/quote]
Just go to the Offical Update page, and click on "Download Now".

[quote name='Chitown021']I noticed the update to 1.51 as well. What the hell does "support for PLAYSTATION 3 format software titles expansion" do anyways? Are there Ps3 games out that don't work with the PS3 or something? C'mon Sony help us out with little explanation here!!![/QUOTE]

It was actually an issue with Blu Ray movies. Some movies after 1.5 would give 1-3 small pauses during the movie. It would last about 5 seconds, but it only happened to me with Saw 3. 1.51 fixed this issue and I tested Saw 3 again just to make sure and it worked flawless.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Just go to the Offical Update page, and click on "Download Now".[/quote]

ah thanks
i happened to stumble across it somehow on the playstation.com site too (had to do a search then click on something that didn't seem related, then i ended up at that update page lol)

[quote name='rodeojones903']It was actually an issue with Blu Ray movies. Some movies after 1.5 would give 1-3 small pauses during the movie. It would last about 5 seconds, but it only happened to me with Saw 3. 1.51 fixed this issue and I tested Saw 3 again just to make sure and it worked flawless.[/quote]

Yep, that is what people had said might have been the case. Guess Sony really wanted to not highlight the fact that the blu rays might not be working right.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yep, that is what people had said might have been the case. Guess Sony really wanted to not highlight the fact that the blu rays might not be working right.[/QUOTE]

It reminds me of the fun and excitement over incompatibilities between DVDs and certain players back in the misty past of the early days of DVD. :) Certain Sony players would lock up with the Matrix menu... my Toshiba would flat out not play the flipper version of Stargate. :)

I guess it pays to be patient and not be too entirely early in embracing new formats and standards :) heh.

Well now, I hope he delivers on everything he's said in that interview.

I was hoping the interviewer would've mentioned upscaling the PS2 and possibly PS1 games, along with addressing the issue of corrupt saves that I've read about in some threads.

Ahh well, in due time everything should be fixed :)

[quote name='dpatel']I think any USB to PS2 controller adapter will work. I just found out mine (that I bought for a PC years ago) works just fine for using PS2 controllers. Which is great since I don't want to shell out $50 for extra controllers. Haven't tried it for guitar hero yet since I haven't bothered to transfer my saves.[/QUOTE]

Oh god have I tried!!!!! I tried to assign the ps3 controller and the usb connected controller to the same port, so that the guitar(via usb) would have the ps button on the ps3 controller(wirelessly connected), - didn't work... damn... I thought I had a solution.

Did Sony fix the DVD / Blu-Ray playback bug that was introduce by 1.5 FW. This is the bug where the movie pauses for a couple seconds before starting up again.

Did Sony fix the DVD / Blu-Ray playback bug that was introduce by 1.5 FW. This is the bug where the movie pauses for a couple seconds before starting up again.

I don't think so. I have had a couple of movies freeze up on me since installing 1.51. Both were brand new copies of Superman Returns and The departed (great movie).

The did start back a few seconds later, but it is annoying to say the least.

[quote name='SCps3player']I don't think so. I have had a couple of movies freeze up on me since installing 1.51. Both were brand new copies of Superman Returns and The departed (great movie).

The did start back a few seconds later, but it is annoying to say the least.[/quote]

Hopefully there's a fix in the works in the next update. And hopefully that will be out soon.

I have no problems with 1.51. Just watched Hart's War last night....also watched something else recently, although I forget what it was :)

I'm buying a PS3 very soon but I don't have high speed so I can download the updates through the computer and connect it to the PS3 something like the PSP?

[quote name='snakelda']I'm buying a PS3 very soon but I don't have high speed so I can download the updates through the computer and connect it to the PS3 something like the PSP?[/quote]

I don't know about the PSP since I don't have one, but you can download it to a USB flash drive, or a flash card (compact flash, SD/miniSD, MEmory Stick pro Duo....60gb ps3 only).

I've tried it with a USB drive and a MicroSD in a SD card adapter and they both worked fine. Much faster than downloading wirelessly too (for me anyway).

[quote name='imascrub']I don't know about the PSP since I don't have one, but you can download it to a USB flash drive, or a flash card (compact flash, SD/miniSD, MEmory Stick pro Duo....60gb ps3 only).

I've tried it with a USB drive and a MicroSD in a SD card adapter and they both worked fine. Much faster than downloading wirelessly too (for me anyway).[/quote]

Yes, all you do is go to the PS3 update page and follow the directions where it says update via computer. You can even use your PSP to update the PS3 if you don't have another flash drive.

ok,thanks,I'm buying it around in a month or two and I'm sure it won't have the latest firmwire updatated so I'm glad I can do that.Also,I read that PS2 games looked fuzzy and fugly on the PS3 but on the title,it says they were fixed but couldn't find any info.It was fixed right?I can play my PS2 games and not have them look fugly and fuzzy?

[quote name='snakelda']ok,thanks,I'm buying it around in a month or two and I'm sure it won't have the latest firmwire updatated so I'm glad I can do that.Also,I read that PS2 games looked fuzzy and fugly on the PS3 but on the title,it says they were fixed but couldn't find any info.It was fixed right?I can play my PS2 games and not have them look fugly and fuzzy?[/QUOTE]
Yes, that was fixed with update 1.50.

I can't help but wonder though, maybe since Sony is removing the PS2 chip from the PS3, the BC will be totally different, so much that 3rd party controllers will work?

hey hey where's the party at?
is it invite only? :(

nevermind i was lookin for it online instead of through system update lol
I wanted to download it faster through my computer :(

Nasty translation from site in Japan:

The main function which is renewed with system software version 1.54 [ 2007.02.28 ]

icon_friend.gif

Friend
  • In combination with the picture of the partner to picture size at the AV kyat,it reachedthe point where it can expand can indicate.
  • It reached the point where you can use the USB camera which corresponds to USB video class at the AV kyat. *
    * Concerning the corresponding type, please inquire to the selling agency of the USB camera.
My guess is that AV is "Audio/Visual Chat" (and kyat is chat through out). Is is part of the new video chat function that was mentioned to hit in March it seems like (points to list I posted a little bit before this). I did see a camera tab under the accessories section that I didn't noticed before, but of course it could have been there all along. :)

hmm....so like...how do you start video chat with anybody? Or can you send a video message to somebody?

I don't see any function to activate the camera for video chatting/video messaging other than the camera test option under the Accessories menu

Wasn't there talk of a new Eyetoy to be released for the PS3? Maybe this is updating the system to be able to do vidoe chat for when this comes out. Or maybe you can use your own USB based cam with the PS3 now?

[quote name='MadFlava']Did Sony fix the DVD / Blu-Ray playback bug that was introduce by 1.5 FW. This is the bug where the movie pauses for a couple seconds before starting up again.[/QUOTE]

that happened to me during wicker man

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back