The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='smiggity']You can skip them. Just don't sign in to PSN. That way it will save you time and all of us the trouble of having to read your whiny ass posts. Seriously dude you bitch so much over 20 minutes.[/quote]
You see, the thing is, I actually do LIKE playing online. I could do without it, but I just feel that the system is broken. You should be able to get your updates ala carte and not have to download every single piece of the monster files they make.
[quote name='js1']That's ALL he does! I have never seen a post where he is not whining, fighting, or complaining.. No joke! That's just me being observant.[/quote]
You obviously have never been to the penny guide thread, which I maintain. Some of the posts there are complaining or whatever, but many are informative.
[quote name='js1']I think his point was just that myself, smiggity, maybe others are tired of cheapest always complaining about this and that. Dude, is forever pissed about PS3 updates, hdtv, games not being cheap enough etc..
But, it's all good we don't need to fight amongst ourselves when there are bigger tasks at hand[/quote]
Actually, the games I buy are ALWAYS cheap enough for me, since I wait forever for the drops, but since I'm on a slow connection and don't feel like I even need half of the damn updates.

The HDtv thing I've pretty much stopped about, I think, since my opinion will never change on that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You see, the thing is, I actually do LIKE playing online. I could do without it, but I just feel that the system is broken. You should be able to get your updates ala carte and not have to download every single piece of the monster files they make.

You obviously have never been to the penny guide thread, which I maintain. Some of the posts there are complaining or whatever, but many are informative.

Actually, the games I buy are ALWAYS cheap enough for me, since I wait forever for the drops, but since I'm on a slow connection and don't feel like I even need half of the damn updates.

The HDtv thing I've pretty much stopped about, I think, since my opinion will never change on that.[/QUOTE]

It's all good;). You should get an HDTV though.

I know I come across as harsh or whiny or whatever at times, but I just feel we should all have options, since not everyone has as much free time as the next person to play and some just want to be able to play without being pestered to update.

The update process from Sony reminds me alot of those 'register now' things from when you install a new anti-virus or other program. They pester the shit out of you until you enter your info, which you only do to shut them up. Then, they spam you with e-mail and possibly snail mail for your time and trouble.

As for the HDtv, I will get one, but just not at this point in time.

Not to bump this up and scare people into thinking there's another update, but the latest post on the PS Blog about the R2 update revealed a hidden feature that was probably in 2.60:

Now you may be asking, “But what about adding the option to save the second player’s character progress?” Truth be told, it required a certain PS3 firmware that wasn’t available at the time of Resistance 2’s release. We now have that firmware and are currently working to implement the feature. As soon as it’s ready, we’ll get it out to you.

Seems to suggest that being able to have two PSN accounts logged in at once on the same machine is now available to developers to add to their games.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/23/resistance-2-patch-140-details/

More of those hidden "features" that each update seems to have.
That's kind of interesting, though it seemed like LBP could do it as when a local player started up you had to choose a profile.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I know I come across as harsh or whiny or whatever at times, but I just feel we should all have options, since not everyone has as much free time as the next person to play and some just want to be able to play without being pestered to update.

The update process from Sony reminds me alot of those 'register now' things from when you install a new anti-virus or other program. They pester the shit out of you until you enter your info, which you only do to shut them up. Then, they spam you with e-mail and possibly snail mail for your time and trouble.

As for the HDtv, I will get one, but just not at this point in time.[/quote]

Right on man. I actually do like reading your opinions, simply to see how harshly you may react to things I feel are minute.

[quote name='dallow']More of those hidden "features" that each update seems to have.
That's kind of interesting, though it seemed like LBP could do it as when a local player started up you had to choose a profile.[/quote]
They could've done that on their own, but Insomniac chose to wait for a more official solution to that issue.

I've had it with these slow ass downloads, I missed out on two gaming nights because of my inability to get the download. Plus my router went out on me. I have a belkin F5D7230 which went belly up (I don't know why), then I said okay fuck it, I'm switching to a new router, I happen to check the model number and its the same model, except its ver 6000. Any since hoooking up the new router, I got NAT type 2 instantly, didn't even have to open any ports (I think I still will though) on the old router, I had to disable, then reenable upnp to get the nat type 2 feature to kick in.

SARPBC guys let it slip that 2.7 should be out this month.

"IIRC it will drop later this month. And contain lots of fun new fixes. I'm excited about this one, lots of new stuff.
icon_e_smile.gif

Though, I dont think I can mention any of them just yet.
icon_frown.gif
"

hopefully its the ability to play more video types on the ps3. if you could play avi, rmvb and mkv files on it id be happy as hell.

[quote name='smiggity']SARPBC guys let it slip that 2.7 should be out this month.

"IIRC it will drop later this month. And contain lots of fun new fixes. I'm excited about this one, lots of new stuff.
icon_e_smile.gif

Though, I dont think I can mention any of them just yet.
icon_frown.gif
"[/quote]

YAY!! More crap that'll take forfuckinever to download. Now, if it included a PS2 emulator, I'd easily keep the PS3 on for a month straight to download that, but if it's something for some ridiculous nonsense that I can't use, then it's just more wasted fuckin' time.

Thanks Sony, release something that's worthwhile for an update for once.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']YAY!! More crap that'll take forfuckinever to download. Now, if it included a PS2 emulator, I'd easily keep the PS3 on for a month straight to download that, but if it's something for some ridiculous nonsense that I can't use, then it's just more wasted fuckin' time.

Thanks Sony, release something that's worthwhile for an update for once.[/quote]
:lol:
We don't even know whats in it and you're already complaining.
:rofl:

[quote name='mguiddy']:lol:
:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Like sands through the hourglass...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Now, if it included a PS2 emulator, I'd easily keep the PS3 on for a month straight to download that, but if it's something for some ridiculous nonsense that I can't use, then it's just more wasted fuckin' time.[/quote]

Dude, just simmer down. If I had to download for longer than a day to get PS2 emulation, I wouldn't do it. You know how often I wish I could play a PS2 game nowadays? Never. That's right. Never. I have too many PS3 games to get through as it is. Why would I play an old PS2 game? Just grow up and quit your crying. Okay, baby? (I still like you.:lol:)

If I had my pick, I'd ask to be able to leave audio messages and be able to talk to people playing other games. After that, I'd like stupid stuff like being able to control how you file movies and music into folders any way I want. Improve the speed for checking trophies and comparing trophies and for the cross media bar to pop up when you push the PS button. Nothing too crazy I can think of in my opinion.

Seriously Cheapest? Already? Are you addicted to cocaine? Because all your posts in here are like a raging cokehead who needs his fix.

Itll be okay

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']Dude, just simmer down. If I had to download for longer than a day to get PS2 emulation, I wouldn't do it. You know how often I wish I could play a PS2 game nowadays? Never. That's right. Never. I have too many PS3 games to get through as it is. Why would I play an old PS2 game? Just grow up and quit your crying. Okay, baby? (I still like you.:lol:)
[/quote]

I still regularly play PS2 games, but then again my PS3 can play them.

As someone mentioned, my biggest wish would be for it to support more video formats.

[quote name='mguiddy']:lol:
:rofl:[/quote]

It's probably some useless shit for me that I'll still be forced to download, even if I never use the new functions it gives me. Make the updates OPTIONAL in the event some of us don't need or want them and I'll be happy, but forcing everyone to download something universally is a crock of shit.

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']Dude, just simmer down. If I had to download for longer than a day to get PS2 emulation, I wouldn't do it. You know how often I wish I could play a PS2 game nowadays? Never. That's right. Never. I have too many PS3 games to get through as it is. Why would I play an old PS2 game? Just grow up and quit your crying. Okay, baby? (I still like you.:lol:)[/quote]

Well, I've been wishing I could play a couple of the PS2 games I still have, except that I dumped my 50001 for the credit to get a Dual Shock 3 about a year ago and I just got rid of a sealed slim PStwo(which I had no room for in my room) just before Christmas.

Mind you, I doubt I'd ever really use the emulation all that much, but it'd be a nice thing to have and NOT have to pay extra for, which is what I think Sony is planning on doing once the PS2's popularity dies down a bit.

[quote name='smiggity']Seriously Cheapest? Already? Are you addicted to cocaine? Because all your posts in here are like a raging cokehead who needs his fix.

Itll be okay[/quote]

Trophies mean shit and they were an afterthought on Sony's part and all three companies seem like they've copied from each other this gen. Yet, at the end of the day, which console was the least expensive at the start of this gen? The Wii. Sure, according to some it's 'two Gamecubes duct taped together', but have you seen the sales numbers?

Putting out the most expensive of the three current gen systems hasn't helped them, pulling the PS2 backward compatability hasn't helped them and switching fuckin' configurations of the PS3 every 3-6 months hasn't helped them in the least.

What would have been so wrong with both MS and Sony pulling a Nintendo and doing a marginal upgrade and calling it 'next gen'? I mean, really? It's a tad ridiculous to double the MSRP of a system from one gen to the next and expect to have people remain loyal.

If not for the failure rate, I would actually be gaming on a 360 right now, but I don't want to go through with the hassle of shipping out a system every so many months.

Mind you, my PS3 acts like a kid with Tourette's at times and pulls a hissy fit on me and freezes on occasion as well, so it's NOT perfect either.

But back on topic, these updates REALLY need to be made OPTIONAL, since not everyone needs this bullshit functionality. Some of us just want to play the games and don't give a rat's ass about 'patches', unless the game is released broken, in which case the company that developed it should go under for releasing such crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would download for days and days if they gave us full BC. Most of these updates suck and take too damn long, but what can you do. It doesn't seem like I've used any of the crap anyway, except for the 2.5 one.

Is it really that hard to download the update from Sony's site to a flash drive and install it that way? It takes maybe 5 minutes total, unless you're on dial-up.

I'm glad Sony releases fairly regular firmware updates. Sure, they haven't all had worthwhile features, but as long as they are adding new stuff, why complain?

[quote name='collven']Is it really that hard to download the update from Sony's site to a flash drive and install it that way? It takes maybe 5 minutes total, unless you're on dial-up.

I'm glad Sony releases fairly regular firmware updates. Sure, they haven't all had worthwhile features, but as long as they are adding new stuff, why complain?[/quote]

Because sometimes you just want to start up the system to play a game(perhaps even ONLINE against others) and not get the message that you HAVE to download some useless fuckin' update? I'm sorry if the stuff they've been adding has been worthwhile for some of you, but it's been totally worthless to me and a huge waste of my time.

Optional updates based on each users need would've been far, far better of a choice in my opinion, since the only thing the updates have done is clog my system with more junk that takes up space I could be using for other purposes.

yeah it would be better if you could pick and choose the diff things to update your system with. that picture thing they added a while back is worthless imo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because sometimes you just want to start up the system to play a game(perhaps even ONLINE against others) and not get the message that you HAVE to download some useless fuckin' update? I'm sorry if the stuff they've been adding has been worthwhile for some of you, but it's been totally worthless to me and a huge waste of my time.

Optional updates based on each users need would've been far, far better of a choice in my opinion, since the only thing the updates have done is clog my system with more junk that takes up space I could be using for other purposes.[/quote]

How could they be optional? This is system firmware, not just a patch. Everyone has to have the same firmware to play together online. That is why they make it mandatory. If you don't like it, don't play online.

Here is the firmware release schedule since last September:

2.60 – 1/21/09
2.53 – 12/2/08
2.52 – 11/5/08
2.51 – 10/27/08
2.50 – 10/15/08
2.43 – 9/16/08 (optional, for Japan only)

Of course, earlier in the PS3's lifespan, the firmware updates were more frequent. But I don't think the current 1 a month or so is bad at all. It's not like they're updating it every couple of days or anything.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah it would be better if you could pick and choose the diff things to update your system with. that picture thing they added a while back is worthless imo.[/quote]
But... you didn't download the picture thing just by downloading the new firmware. All the firmware did was basically add a link on the XMB to download the picture thing. It's just like home and "Life with Playstation", the link is there, but it isn't downloaded unless you chose to.

My problem isn't so much with the firmware and their frequency, but with game updates. They're so fucking huge and take too much damn time. I don't get much time to play and I'll put a game in thinking I'll just play for a quick 15 minutes and there I am stuck with a 5 minute download. (Even worse for SOCOM.)

[quote name='SteveMcQ']My problem isn't so much with the firmware and their frequency, but with game updates. They're so fucking huge and take too much damn time. I don't get much time to play and I'll put a game in thinking I'll just play for a quick 15 minutes and there I am stuck with a 5 minute download. (Even worse for SOCOM.)[/quote]

yeah that burnout update is a freakin monster the first time you try to go online with it.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah that burnout update is a freakin monster the first time you try to go online with it.[/quote]

That's because the update is re-build of the whole freakin' game!

[quote name='Serpentor']yeah, i hate that when it happens too... but a system update is a system update, i just let it DL and watch a TV show in the mean times.[/quote]

Except, when I turn on my PS3, it's usually cause there's nothing on TV. So now I'm either forced to watch the progress bar slowly creep across the screen, watch a crappy ass TV show that will likely rot my brains more than any video game ever could, or clean the house. Progress bar it is... :cry:

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']That's because the update is re-build of the whole freakin' game![/quote]

That is one of the major problems this gen, is that developers will release a broken game and figure they can patch it later to fix any issues. Companies that do that should be out of the gaming business and not making games that need to be 'fixed' from the day they come out.

[quote name='Serpentor']yeah, i hate that when it happens too... but a system update is a system update, i just let it DL and watch a TV show in the mean times.[/quote]

As Warner1281 said, the main reason I go to play a game is because there's nothing on tv I want to watch in the first place. Now, if the PS3 had enough memory to allow for downloading the updates in the background while you can still go online and play, that would be good. But unfortunately, it's gimped in that way and you have to be stuck staring at the progress bar while being frustrated that you can't just pick up your controller and play.

[quote name='collven']How could they be optional? This is system firmware, not just a patch. Everyone has to have the same firmware to play together online. That is why they make it mandatory. If you don't like it, don't play online.

But I don't think the current 1 a month or so is bad at all. It's not like they're updating it every couple of days or anything.[/quote]

People who play online with each other on PC's on games like WOW and other MMO's have different systems with different configurations and THEY somehow play together without all having the same things on their systems.

So, tell me why it's so important that Sony adds in some more useless shit that some may not use and wastes our time? Even if the picture thing wasn't downloaded by downloading the last firmware, it added another icon to the XMB that's a waste of space on my system. So far, they haven't added anything of use to ME personally, so why should I have had to waste my time downloading the updates for something I don't need/want?

As for not playing online, with some of these games being so woefully short anymore, playing online is the only thing that adds value and makes you feel like you didn't waste whatever amount you paid for the game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That is one of the major problems this gen, is that developers will release a broken game and figure they can patch it later to fix any issues. Companies that do that should be out of the gaming business and not making games that need to be 'fixed' from the day they come out.[/quote]
You shouldn't listen to idiots that have no clue what the fuck they're talking about. He thinks Burnout Paradise only requires 800 MB of space on the disc, which is completely insane. They didn't rebuild shit, they added tons of new, free content and even added bikes, which changes the gameplay completely and logically makes for a large update. It's the same way on the Xbox 360, though you have to download the update manually as DLC, which has its own issues. It was never broken or incomplete.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You shouldn't listen to idiots that have no clue what the fuck they're talking about. He thinks Burnout Paradise only requires 800 MB of space on the disc, which is completely insane. They didn't rebuild shit, they added tons of new, free content and even added bikes, which changes the gameplay completely and logically makes for a large update. It's the same way on the Xbox 360, though you have to download the update manually as DLC, which has its own issues. It was never broken or incomplete.[/quote]

But there have been games with major problems released and then either patched or recalled. That's all I was saying really, though I still stand by the 'why the fuck do we all need the same firmware' thing, especially if 90-95% of the firmware is adding junk we'll never use.

Give us the option to pick and choose what stuff we want from the updates and allow us to remove any stuff that should be optional, like playing various video formats would be one I would never want, since YouTube and Hulu already work on the PS3, though I think Youtube was made more functional after an update.

.... really?

The updates annoy me too, but you know what? If the PS3 never updated the firmware since release, it'd be but a shell of what it is now. I'll gladly take a minor inconvenience to have a machine that is constantly improving over time.

Here's some other options:
1) Disconnect your internet if you don't want to update and just update when you want to go online.. plan ahead and let it go overnight (Thank God they put the system shutdown after update option in... during one of the firmware updates no less).
2) Grab a DS and fire it up while waiting. If you can afford a PS3 and multiple PS2s, it shouldn't be hard to find one for cheap and you *really* should have one for bathroom distractions anyway (See OT)

That said.. when's the firmware features going to be leaked?

[quote name='QiG'].... really?

The updates annoy me too, but you know what? If the PS3 never updated the firmware since release, it'd be but a shell of what it is now. I'll gladly take a minor inconvenience to have a machine that is constantly improving over time.

Here's some other options:
1) Disconnect your internet if you don't want to update and just update when you want to go online.. plan ahead and let it go overnight (Thank God they put the system shutdown after update option in... during one of the firmware updates no less).
2) Grab a DS and fire it up while waiting. If you can afford a PS3 and multiple PS2s, it shouldn't be hard to find one for cheap and you *really* should have one for bathroom distractions anyway (See OT)

That said.. when's the firmware features going to be leaked?[/quote]

I paid maybe $50 for the 50001 model PS2 from a pawn shop and I got the slim PStwo from using up the credit they gave me at Best Buy when I cashed my Product Replacement Plan on my Xbox in 2007 or so.

As for updating when I want to go online, it's usually a spur of the moment thing and I don't want to have to update. I really wish Sony would at least add an 'REMIND ME LATER' thing to the updates and allow you to SKIP them until you have the free time to download them. It's so fuckin' annoying to have to wait X amount of minutes for it to dl/install when you just wanna go online n play right NOW.

Of course, if they added the 'remind me later' thing, I'd probably check to see what kind of stuff was in the update, then hit back/cancel and just keep hitting 'remind me later' every time it wanted to download if it was some shit I didn't want.

Wow....Cheapestgamer..I think the only thing I've ever seen you do on these forums is complain.
There was another topic where you went off the wall about how upgrading to bluray discs was dumb because 8-bit games were just as fun..

The reason behind FW updates being mandatory is that they include bugfixes and security patches. Forcing you to update so that hackers can't exploit the security holes and hack it some how like the 360.

[quote name='HowStern']Wow....Cheapestgamer..I think the only thing I've ever seen you do on these forums is complain.
There was another topic where you went off the wall about how upgrading to bluray discs was dumb because 8-bit games were just as fun..

The reason behind FW updates being mandatory is that they include bugfixes and security patches. Forcing you to update so that hackers can't exploit the security holes and hack it some how like the 360.[/quote]

So basically, the updates are done for SONY's benefit, so people can't play copied games on their system? Personally, with all of the shit games coming out, I think that's exactly what the PS3 needs is a modding community. At least maybe then someone would come up with a PS2 BC patch(albeit unofficial), since it's obvious that Sony never will or at least won't do so for free, since they see how much people are willing to pay for old games off of PSN.

As for me saying how 8 bit games were fun, they were and they still are. If the 360 could put games on DVD alone this gen, what stopped Sony, aside from them wanting to whore out the new format and make even more money? I don't see myself ever upgrading to BR for my movies unless they drop to under $10 each in price. I like CHEAP entertainment, though I will pay up to $60 a pop for games, but that is my limit. If they go higher next gen, I'm out or I wait for clearance deals.

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:[/quote]

Dem some quality posts Myke. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back