The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, don't expect miracles or anything.
It'll never even get close to the clarity of even a badly transferred Blu-Ray movie.

You only really see results if you have a large HDTV.
But it helps clean up the image.
Don't worry too much about it. I never did.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, don't expect miracles or anything.
It'll never even get close to the clarity of even a badly transferred Blu-Ray movie.

You only really see results if you have a large HDTV.
But it helps clean up the image.
Don't worry too much about it. I never did.[/quote]

I have a 50" Samsung DLP, and I've noticed on the Seinfeld and Andy Griffith DVDs that the solid objects the camera focuses on are much sharper, but the background is much more grainy.

It does help a bit, but I'm not jumping on the "OMG almost like Blu-ray!!!" crazywagon like some have.

I think probably the effects of upscaling are more pronounced on things that aren't TV-on-DVD (anamorphic movies in particular).

I've tested out the downloading while folding.

Works just fine.

Now they just need to figure out how to get Remote Play running while Folding, so I can connect to my PS3 if I leave it Folding.

Eric Lempel (Director of PSN ops) : via blog.us.playstation.com

Just a quick update: we’ll be making available firmware upgrade 1.81 tomorrow which will fix a few small issues some of you have noticed. Most notably is the RGB Full setting which a few of you wrote in about. In 1.80 we added an option to the XMB under settings allowing you to choose between RGB Full and Limited. Basically if you are connecting your PS3 to your TV using an HDMI cable, and if your TV supports RGB full range, the picture quality may be improved when this option is set to Full. Some of you pointed out that the Full setting would sometimes revert back to Limited and 1.81 will address this issue. Please keep in mind that this setting is only effective when the PS3 is connected to a TV using an HDMI cable. You can download the update tomorrow from PlayStation.com or through your System Update option on the PS3 XMB.

We’re continually evaluating and improving PS2 software compatibility too. Where we can, we’ll look to share similar updates like this on our blog moving forward. Thanks for your ongoing feedback and support!

Man, having to plug the PS3 controller into the USB port to update annoys the crap out of me. Do they do that to make sure the controller doesn't run out of juice mid update??

Any news if they are fixing the issues with the Linksys router. Ever since the 1.80 update, my router is flaky. It sometimes reboots itself when trying to connect to the Internet. I did a google search, and it's a known problem. I had to disable the UPnP on my router, but now my NAT Type is 3. Oh well. I don't talk to anyone anyways.

The update fixes the sound clipping and sound lagging in PS1 games, while running in Full display.

[quote name='Chitown021']Man, having to plug the PS3 controller into the USB port to update annoys the crap out of me. Do they do that to make sure the controller doesn't run out of juice mid update??[/QUOTE]Actually, that's basically the same question as why can't you run AIM/MSN while installing an update? The reason is that many of the firmware updates reconfigure, make changes, additions, etc. to the bluetooth device on the PS3. While the PS3 is installing the update, controllers need to be plugged into a USB port so the update can take place (so bluetooth isn't being used). If the controllers were being used while the bluetooth is having an update installed, you're just asking for problems (kind of like running AIM and installing an update). Then again, part of the reason too is that for the controllers don't run out of batteries (because if your controller dies while updating and cannot select the option to restart, you're just asking to brick your PS3). The PSP asks for the battery to be plugged in so you don't brick it while installing an update.

My widescreen PS2 games (Burnout 3 and DQ8) do not fill the entire screen of my 50" widescreen Panasonic Plasma TV. Vertically it almost fills the screen but horizontally it doesn't (although it is much wider than 4:3) -- I have black bars on the left and right... Does any one else have this problem?

[quote name='cheapfrag']My widescreen PS2 games (Burnout 3 and DQ8) do not fill the entire screen of my 50" widescreen Panasonic Plasma TV. Vertically it almost fills the screen but horizontally it doesn't (although it is much wider than 4:3) -- I have black bars on the left and right... Does any one else have this problem?[/quote]

I've run into a similar problem with DQVIII. The screen is more to the left than the right.

I had to change the aspect ratio for it to stay centered, but then I got those black bars on the side :(

ALL the other PS2 games have worked flawlessly so far. Awesome graphics compared to what I've seen before.

Guys guys guys.
Even when put wide, you'll probably have smaller black bars on the side.

Why? Because the game puts them there. They're actually rendered like that, it's part of the image.
Almost all PS2 games have underscan. Wiki it because I don't want to splain again.

Here's some info about the upcoming 1.82 firmware.

I love that they're adding H.264 support. I know it's asking a lot, but if they add XviD support, this would be the ultimate home media machine in my house.

Nice to see Sony continually updating, and putting in features we will actually use and appreciate ^^b

I hope they keep this up

[quote name='dallow']Guys guys guys.
Even when put wide, you'll probably have smaller black bars on the side.

Why? Because the game puts them there. They're actually rendered like that, it's part of the image.
Almost all PS2 games have underscan. Wiki it because I don't want to splain again.[/quote]

Oh I know that, I've seen that with almost all the games I've tried.

What I meant by my post is that I've also had an issue with DQ8. I had my aspect ratio settings working with all the games, then I popped in DQ8 and it was off to the left, weird :whistle2:s

[quote name='psunami']Here's some info about the upcoming 1.82 firmware.

I love that they're adding H.264 support. I know it's asking a lot, but if they add XviD support, this would be the ultimate home media machine in my house.[/quote]

You didn't mention they are also working on more PS2 game support.
Sony is communicating... I've getting scared! :)

[quote name='Apossum']what's h.264?[/quote]

Good stuff :p

Very descriptive, I know :cool:

It's basically high quality video files. I have some h.264 stuff, although it's misplaced on my computer :whistle2:s

[quote name='NamPaehc']You didn't mention they are also working on more PS2 game support.
Sony is communicating... I've getting scared! :)[/QUOTE]I think what they mean is, get a few PS2 games working that stopped working with the previous update, like Wild Arms 4.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Any other specifics on what this updates does?

I need to update the OP too.[/quote]
Haha, you REALLY need to update it :p

It took a long time for me to apply the update, but I still wasn't able to play the H.264 I was trying to get going.

I'll probably give it another look tomorrow night.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Haha, you REALLY need to update it :p[/QUOTE]
Done and done.

Feel free to make suggestions or remind me of notable things that are not included on Sony's list of update features.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Done and done.

Feel free to make suggestions or remind me of notable things that are not included on Sony's list of update features.[/quote]

Nice job :D

[quote name='asianxcore']the update for 1.82 froze up on me at 37%. Lame.

I had to cancel out of it. I'll probably try again later.[/quote]
I just tried to update online and I got an error at 45%

Guess I'll try USB again...

Edit: I just tried to download it to my PC and it "completed" at 70 MB o_O
I don't think this update likes me :/, and I can't get in the PS store w/out it! Gah!

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I just tried to update online and I got an error at 45%

Guess I'll try USB again...

Edit: I just tried to download it to my PC and it "completed" at 70 MB o_O
I don't think this update likes me :/, and I can't get in the PS store w/out it! Gah![/QUOTE]

maybe it IS 70mb ;) it wasn't a big update...only gave support for that one file type, right?

So if I want to watch video off my laptop through the PS3 what kind of wire would I use to connect it to the PS3? Do I need a special program to do it?

[quote name='dallow']They only have to be connected to the same network.
You don't directly connect to each other.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I see.

Is there a way to directly connect? I have stuff on my laptop I want to watch with a friend, but if possible I'd rather put it through the PS3 and watch it on the TV.

Any way to do that or am I SOL?

[quote name='dallow']Not unless your laptop acts like a portable HDD when plugged into another comp like Macs do.[/QUOTE]
Oh well.

It's just a hassle to have to convert every video to .mp4 before putting it on the PS3.

[quote name='Apossum']maybe it IS 70mb ;) it wasn't a big update...only gave support for that one file type, right?[/quote]

Firmware updates are always the same size. In fact, it even says XX MB out of 110 MB when DL'ing.

What bugs me is that I can't sign in to the PSN w/out installing this update and it can't even DL the whole file! Meh....

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The update file is here:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates?DCMP=ILC-PS3_1304&LINK=PS3SU

You can copy it to a USB flash, burn it to a CD, use a memory stick, SD card, etc.[/quote]

Read my posts above. I've tried DL'ing that file 10 times and it keeps ending at 69-70 MB when the update file is supposed to be 110 MB. Unless it is verified that the file is 70 MB, I'm not going to try and update it with the file, I'll be too worried about messing up the console :/

[quote name='Inf^Shini'].....

Read my posts above. I've tried DL'ing that file 10 times and it keeps ending at 69-70 MB when the update file is supposed to be 110 MB. Unless it is verified that the file is 70 MB, I'm not going to try and update it with the file, I'll be too worried about messing up the console :/[/QUOTE]Sorry about that. My bad. :(

[quote name='Inf^Shini'].....

Read my posts above. I've tried DL'ing that file 10 times and it keeps ending at 69-70 MB when the update file is supposed to be 110 MB. Unless it is verified that the file is 70 MB, I'm not going to try and update it with the file, I'll be too worried about messing up the console :/[/quote]I'll see if I can download it then send it to you via a share site.

[quote name='dallow']I've uploaded the update to here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=56E887VF
[/quote]
Woo hoo! Thanks a lot Dallow *high five* :D

Gave my USB Drive another shot and it gave me an error at 2% and the PS3 froze :roll:

Tried the Memory Stick Pro Slot and all was well.

Time to get Super Stardust :cool:

[quote name='Chitown021']Having to connect the controller to the PS3 when you do an update is getting really annoying.[/QUOTE]

It didn't ask me to do that this time for some reason. Figures, because I was prepared to. It is rather annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back