The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sources told me there's a chance that tomorrow morning I'll be really tired if I don't go to bed now. Don't know how reliable this is.

[quote name='HowStern']My sources told me there's a chance that tomorrow morning I'll be really tired if I don't go to bed now. Don't know how reliable this is.[/QUOTE]

16h3xw2.gif

Does anybody else watches Anime on their ps3 besides me? So far the ps3 supports avi. format. but i wonder when will an new firmware will come out for the ps3 to support MKV files. I hope they will from the rumors i have been getting.

No seriously though if you actually DO NOT have confirmation that it is coming out just don't use the word "confirmed" in your posts. No reason to mislead us all and make it seem like you have some sort of inside info when it is apparent you do not.

From a respectable member at GAF.

Text Chat in XMB and ingame, Backup and Restore option now also include videos purchased from PSN store, Internet Search is added to the option menu of each game, Copy/Paste in Internet browser, & attachment size in messages increased to 3MB.

2.70 is coming tomorrow from what I hear, most exciting update is text chat via XMB and within PS3 games, but there are some other cool little features added.

Native support for MKV would be awesome, but mkv2vob works pretty well and very fast. Being able to download and convert "Blu-ray" movies to watch on the PS3 is fantastic.

If they allow internet usage while playing a game I don't want to hear Cheapest bitch about downloading the firmware since, I swear, he talked about wanting that feature before.
:lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']If they allow internet usage while playing a game I don't want to hear Cheapest bitch about downloading the firmware since, I swear, he talked about wanting that feature before.
:lol:[/quote]

Actually, if they DID add internet IN GAME, I would wait as long as it took to DL the firmware.

So, make that TWO good additions that I'd gladly sit there and wait for the firmware to DL, with the other being PS2 BC via software for non BC PS3's.

About the only other thing I wouldn't mind seeing a patch/FW update for would be in-game music, though that's been done but only on a case by case basis since I think MS owns a patent on that otherwise.

I'm getting a little tired of the same old music in GTA IV and I'd like to know that if I uploaded my cd's to the HDD, that I could play them like I was able to on the original Xbox as an 'extra' radio station that mixed up the music I had on there.

[quote name='smiggity']WTF is text chat in-game? We pretty much already have that with messaging.[/quote]
The only thing I can think of is something more like IM or perhaps it'll allow groups.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']About the only other thing I wouldn't mind seeing a patch/FW update for would be in-game music, though that's been done but only on a case by case basis since I think MS owns a patent on that otherwise.[/quote]

Youre right, they do. The games would have to initiate the music, the console itself cannot.

[quote name='mguiddy']The only thing I can think of is something more like IM or perhaps it'll allow groups.[/quote]

Seriously??? I thought the PS3 was designed for the older crowd? Now they go on and do things like "In-game" AOL instant messenger and Home (which is at least evolving into something decent).

Sorry for the Cheapest style rant but seriously? In-game text chat? What a joke...

[quote name='mguiddy']The only thing I can think of is something more like IM or perhaps it'll allow groups.[/quote]
Sounds like Sony's answer to party voice chat.
Party text chat.

I'll have to see how this works to judge though as I thought Party Chat on 360 sounded weird until I used it myself and saw how well it worked.

I can't imagine a party text chat being anywhere near as useful as party voice chat because you'd have to pause the game to respond rather than just talk as you play.

My source says that there's a post on the PS Blog about the update:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/01/ps3-firmware-v270-update/

Hi everyone, we’re adding some great new features with the next PS3 firmware update (v2.70) that will continue to enhance your connected experience on the PS3. The 2.70 update brings a new Text Chat feature that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends. Now, you’ll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.

In addition to Text Chat, we’ve added a few more enhancements:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)

• Sort your friends via their online status
  • Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)
Video delivery service on PlayStation Store

• Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
  • Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback
For a quick preview of Text Chat and some of the other 2.70 features, check out this video:

The 2.70 update will be released soon, and as always, we look forward to reading your feedback.
Text chat's lame though as the main new thing.

The friend list change seems interesting since it doesn't show those not online and makes friends requests easier to see.

OMG, sending chat IMs has me really happy. I'm an AIM/MSN/Yahoo addict. I'll be having fun with this. I prefer text over voice chat since I really don't want people to hear my voice.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']OMG, sending chat IMs has me really happy. I'm an AIM/MSN/Yahoo addict. I'll be having fun with this. I prefer text over voice chat since I really don't want people to hear my voice.[/quote]

That sounds like me. I have a headset but only really take off the mute for maybe 10-20 minutes at a clip and very rarely.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']OMG, sending chat IMs has me really happy. I'm an AIM/MSN/Yahoo addict. I'll be having fun with this. I prefer text over voice chat since I really don't want people to hear my voice.[/quote]
:whistle2:s
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That sounds like me. I have a headset but only really take off the mute for maybe 10-20 minutes at a clip and very rarely.[/quote]
You obviously never played a game with him...

I am searching some patent sites, to see if MS has a patent on voice messaging and cross-game chat. I have not found it yet, but I found various other things which may explain why we don't see it on PS3 or other consoles.

Joining any game in-progress, even without being invited (basically, that seems like you can be on the dash and join):
http://www.patentstorm.us/applicatio.../fulltext.html

A patent on a notification telling the controller various things (such as a controller light blinking if you receive a message, someone signs on, or achievement unlocked):
http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20060154725.html

They even have a patent on being able to plug a headset into a controller directly:
http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20070021205.html

There are some patents by this creator which may relate to various features:
http://www.patentstorm.us/inventors-applications/Michal_Bortnik/4259687/1.html

What I did to search patents was enter keywords or even searched all patents by various creators. There's actually various achievement compares I found out MS had patents on, which might explain why we lack some on PS3 right now for trophies.

I'm mostly just throwing these out mostly because some may wonder why certain features don't get added, or why certain things have to be implemented differently. I found tons of patents on MS, Nintendo, etc. also which are quite interesting. I'm using patent storm over the us.gov site because it's easier to search for patents there.

EDIT: I found this voice chat one, but dunno if its directly related to playing games while chatting
http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20050245317/fulltext.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how this update is useful, but most of the stuff I think people won't be using much if it dosn't run smoothly... regular text chat in-games is laggy at times.

Well, VC lobbies are limited to I think 5 people, so 15 in text means it'll be easier to coordinate a group if you're not able to all VC at the moment.

still, it needs more polish. for example on the 360 (through msn) it just pops up a neat little window to chat in. very fast. but this, if your are gaming at the time, its still useless :\

edit: nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back