The Official PS4 & XBOX ONE Ebay/Scalping Thread.

Here is an intertesting anecdotal experience from a friend of mine.

My friend had placed an ad on Craigslist for selling his Amazon "Dual-shock Bundle" preorder for $1199. Some dude called him back saying that he will pay him $1300 for it. Apparently his son wants it really bad and he wants to make sure it's there for Christmas. So they met at a QT in daylight. My friend took a $100 deposit for holding the pre-order, and in return gave the buyers a signed document promising to deliver the PS4 bundle on the agreed upon date/venue. The balance is due upon physical delivery of the console. I guess they will meet at the same QT to complete the transaction.

Me and another friend also have our preorders listed for sale on Craigslist, but none of us have had any responses.

I still don't know what to make of it. There are numerous other, cheaper ads selling PS4 preorders. Why didn't this buyer go for them? And what's the deal with him offering more than the seller's asking price? In any case, even if it is a scam, my friend has taken a $100 deposit. So his return shipping to Amazon is easily covered. The only thing I can think of is that this just a really dumb, clueless parent. BTW, speaking of returns, does anyone know how much it might cost to ship back an unsold PS4 bundle to Amazon?

Anyways, at this point I am thinking of canceling one of my preorders. There is just too much supply in the market. I will still get the one I ordered for myself. If I get a good price for it before, say, thanksgiving, I will delay the gratification. Otherwise I am opening that bitch and getting my game on.
Best way to ship back to Amazon is to not open the package from UPS. You can still refuse and return to sender if it has not been opened. Just write Refused and Return to sender all over it and take it to a UPS Store or Hub. Make sure to get a receipt.

Here is an intertesting anecdotal experience from a friend of mine.

My friend had placed an ad on Craigslist for selling his Amazon "Dual-shock Bundle" preorder for $1199. Some dude called him back saying that he will pay him $1300 for it. Apparently his son wants it really bad and he wants to make sure it's there for Christmas. So they met at a QT in daylight. My friend took a $100 deposit for holding the pre-order, and in return gave the buyers a signed document promising to deliver the PS4 bundle on the agreed upon date/venue. The balance is due upon physical delivery of the console. I guess they will meet at the same QT to complete the transaction.

Me and another friend also have our preorders listed for sale on Craigslist, but none of us have had any responses.

I still don't know what to make of it. There are numerous other, cheaper ads selling PS4 preorders. Why didn't this buyer go for them? And what's the deal with him offering more than the seller's asking price? In any case, even if it is a scam, my friend has taken a $100 deposit. So his return shipping to Amazon is easily covered. The only thing I can think of is that this just a really dumb, clueless parent. BTW, speaking of returns, does anyone know how much it might cost to ship back an unsold PS4 bundle to Amazon?

Anyways, at this point I am thinking of canceling one of my preorders. There is just too much supply in the market. I will still get the one I ordered for myself. If I get a good price for it before, say, thanksgiving, I will delay the gratification. Otherwise I am opening that bitch and getting my game on.

dude, that's a scam. nigerian scams. do not selling anything on craiglist and ship from amazon. you will lose your money guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question pertained to the scenario where you receive the UPS package from Amazon, keep it for about a week or two hoping to sell it, and then return it unopened if you are unable to sell it. What would Amazon return shipping be in that case?

EDIT: I am trying to estimate the net loss in such a scenario (however unlikely it may be).

Best way to ship back to Amazon is to not open the package from UPS. You can still refuse and return to sender if it has not been opened. Just write Refused and Return to sender all over it and take it to a UPS Store or Hub. Make sure to get a receipt.

If it is a scam, I still don't understand how the buyer is making any money.

My friend is not going to drop-ship to his address by changing the shipping address on Amazon. He intends to receive the UPS package from Amazon, and then drive over to the QT (or wherever they agree to meet this time) to hand over the uopened package to the buyer. Since he already has received the $100 deposit, if the buyer reneges, he can just send it back to Amazon at no loss.

I am just puzzled at why this buyer is acting so dumb.

dude, that's a scam. nigerian scams. do not selling anything on craiglist and ship from amazon. you will lose your money guaranteed.

If you meet at a busy location during daylight (business hours), then risk of physical harm is almost non-existant. For example, a busy Starbucks or a mall. Even better if you can ask a friend to tag along to hold the package while you complete the transaction with the buyer.

Finanacial risk is minimized by insisting on cash payments only.

One could also take cashier's checks and deposit them immediately to make sure it's legit before handing over the package. But this transaction is more complicated. Plus you will have to meet at a bank.

BTW, banks do not permit business transactions on their premises. If you are selling just one or two, then meeting at a bank should be fine. But for those with many PS4's to sell, this might not be a viable option.

You're trading the risk of financial harm for the risk of physical harm...plus financial harm.

If you meet at a busy location during daylight (business hours), then risk of physical harm is almost non-existant. For example, a busy Starbucks or a mall. Even better if you can ask a friend to tag along to hold the package while you complete the transaction with the buyer.

Finanacial risk is minimized by insisting on cash payments only.

One could also take cashier's checks and deposit them immediately to make sure it's legit before handing over the package. But this transaction is more complicated. Plus you will have to meet at a bank.

BTW, banks do not permit business transactions on their premises. If you are selling just one or two, then meeting at a bank should be fine. But for those with many PS4's to sell, this might not be a viable option.
Good call on the banks - was going to mention that. I really don't see a huge shortage this Christmas season - but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, regarding the "busy area during daylight hours" - while nothing is a guarantee, you probably want to make sure its not SOO busy that things can happen and NOT be noticed either. Starbucks is probably a good call on that too.

Just be safe everyone!

My question pertained to the scenario where you receive the UPS package from Amazon, keep it for about a week or two hoping to sell it, and then return it unopened if you are unable to sell it. What would Amazon return shipping be in that case?

EDIT: I am trying to estimate the net loss in such a scenario (however unlikely it may be).
I have refused and returned items several weeks after arrival. Never had a problem. Amazon gets it, notifies you and refunds you.

I have refused and returned items several weeks after arrival. Never had a problem. Amazon gets it, notifies you and refunds you.
in the past, when i return to amazon at no fault of their's, they normally charge me shipping. were you able to "refuse return to sender" on your package even after several weeks.

my guess is that i'll cost about $20-25 to ship back to amazon with potential gains for at lease $200 in the after market. I'm confident i can sell mine on CL or ebays.

Also, i advise all that are selling on CL, please buy a counterfeit marker to verify the bills. I've heard many stories of scums attempting to buy with fake bills.

Things look grim now, but I really don't see how its possible for Sony to meet demand during the holidays. It happens every year with the hot item!

I end up calling eBay and they gave me an increase on my listing limit from $5k to $8k. They had to lower my listing amount though from 100 to 50 which I'm fine with. Also allowed me to list a PS4 for presale (it starts the day before release and ends on the day of release). Also increased my listing limit for consoles to 5 per month. I am not a top seller but I've been selling a bunch of stuff each month and have 95%+ rating so they extended a bunch of stuff.

Side note. I was denied a PayPal Master Debit Card (even though my social is already linked to my account). I think it's b/c my name. I have a John Doe type name and it always raises flags b/c there are so much other people with the same name in one area.

Anyways, called PayPal and the great CSR took off the block and sent in an appeal for me to get my card. A few hours later I get a great email saying I should get my debit card soon. No more waiting to transfer money to my other debit card. Most of my money is on PayPal due to my eBay sales so it's great to have immediate access to my money now. Too bad shipping is over a week though.

Also, is it possible to meet at a bank and have the teller check if the money is real. Not sure if all banks would allow this but would be nice to just go to a bank with heavy security and do the transaction there.

I'm sure u can. Just like selling a car on CL. Buyer gives u the pymt to deposit to ur bank and u turn over ur item. I think what u can't do is meet at a bank to conduct biz on bank property.

Not sure how it goes for other banks but mine "Chase" actually welcomes it. I guess if I was selling 14 PS4's or something like that it would be different but the teller actually told me counterfeit bill checking is free and as long as I am making a deposit a CL transaction on premises would not be frowned upon, have been a member for over 10 years so YMMV.

buy it now prices on ebay right now are like $600. I have a ps4 coming from amazon. not sure if its worth to sell for $130 profit after seeing all of the risk. Anybody completed recent auctions? whats your ending total come up to? thanks

What moron would willingly pay $600 for something that retails for $400 that you'll be able to pick up at walmart no problem a week from now?  I'm too excited about ps4 to sell it.  Damn now i'm torn.   Do i sell my ps4 and see if i can make $200 profit then just go out and buy another one when mad rush ends?  Heck think amazon will get them back in by dec 31st when they start charging sales tax in indiana?

All this negative talk about eBay and Amazon is making me think I should only go through Craigslist.
Sell the preorder. they can meet you at the store and pay you and you'll stand there as they pick it up. no risk because you don't have the product.

Not sure how it goes for other banks but mine "Chase" actually welcomes it. I guess if I was selling 14 PS4's or something like that it would be different but the teller actually told me counterfeit bill checking is free and as long as I am making a deposit a CL transaction on premises would not be frowned upon, have been a member for over 10 years so YMMV.
cool. going to check with local chase.

2 of my buyers have 0 feedback, both of them signed up on ebay last month, one even on the day my auction ended and he won. Should I be worried?

Also another 3rd buyer seems to be back on ebay, after having deleted his account, is that possible, just like facebook?

2 of my buyers have 0 feedback, both of them signed up on ebay last month, one even on the day my auction ended and he won. Should I be worried?

Also another 3rd buyer seems to be back on ebay, after having deleted his account, is that possible, just like facebook?
you shouldn't be worried. if they don't pay don't ship and relist. if they complain file a complaint to ebay

I wasn't aware until today that I actually have two PS4's and XONE on PO on Amazon. I PO'd it on the day it went up that I forgot that I had it on my second account until now.

Not sure if I should the second PO of the systems or keep it.

Is it worth keeping or should I just cancel it? I'm only seeing it go for $500 on eBay and $600 on Craiglist but not many people are buying it at that price. 

where did YB787 go with his 20 ps4s? Havent seen him post recently....I sold my ps4 about 3 weeks ago now, am taking the chance of Amazon shipping it because I kinda came onto the risks late but worse case I lose money and do get killed in a craiglist swap meet.

I wasn't aware until today that I actually have two PS4's and XONE on PO on Amazon. I PO'd it on the day it went up that I forgot that I had it on my second account until now.

Is it worth keeping or should I just cancel it? I'm only seeing it go for $500 on eBay and $600 on Craiglist but not many people are buying it at that price.
worst case scenario is you break even. maybe be a good guy and sell it for face value to someone who actually wants it instead of seeing them get ripped off by scalpers

IMO it's not worth the hassle and potential problems for what you'll get in return. What's more, the value seems to be decreasing now (sub $600 Buy It Now prices on Ebay for the PS4) and I get the feeling more and more people preordered with the idea of scalping -- but that market does not seem to be materializing even a few days out from launch.

End up selling my PS4 Target pre-order card on Craiglist for $135. Was going to cancel it and get my $25 back anyways but might as well make $100 profit. Already have my PS4 pre-ordered on Amazon and paid for with credit. No need to have more especially with the market for release looking dull ($1000 or less). 

Anyways, still selling my Amazon order on eBay. Only paid $180+ for my PS4 so either way I'm making profit if I sell for $600. I know many people are worried about selling to these new buyers. Trust me, cancel the order and get the negative feedback instead of losing money. If the buyer just made an account today, has less than 3 transactions and pays with an unconfirmed address / PayPal, then you'll likely be scammed. Don't do it to yourself.

The writing was on the wall pretty early. Glad I sold mine in early October. Seemed to be the peak time to sell.

I'm trying to sell several Xbox Ones I have, but Ebay's new policy is making it particularly difficult. Regardless, I'm still confident that the market will be such that one can make a small to moderate profit.  

I also think there will be a difference between the availability of PS4's and Xbox One's.  Microsoft had to reduce the number of regions in which is was releasing the console so I think that it will be much more in demand (but not at 360 levels).  Amazon recently reported that there were 2.2 million subscribers to its Xbox One notification list.

Xbox One is averaging (as a sold item) in the $725 range on Ebay and this is an increase even from last week.

I really want to hear other posters' thoughts.  Is it worth it keeping my preorders?  I know I can return them, but returning a console to Amazon will cost $20-$30 in shipping.

I don't know how it is in your city's craigslist, but a lot of people are posting "ads" telling people about the "guaranteed by Christmas" pre-orders, and telling them that there will be plenty of console stock on Black Friday. All this, plus the news that Best Buy will have hundreds of non-pre-order consoles for sale at launch tells me flipping it this time out won't be worth it anymore. Does anyone expect to get $650 for it on Criagslist when there is an ad right below that telling people not to buy it and where they can get one before Christmas?

I don't know how it is in your city's craigslist, but a lot of people are posting "ads" telling people about the "guaranteed by Christmas" pre-orders, and telling them that there will be plenty of console stock on Black Friday. All this, plus the news that Best Buy will have hundreds of non-pre-order consoles for sale at launch tells me flipping it this time out won't be worth it anymore. Does anyone expect to get $650 for it on Criagslist when there is an ad right below that telling people not to buy it and where they can get one before Christmas?
This.

You may be able to get a profit on it but it depends how much you value your time and how long you are willing to risk holding on to it. Even at $100 profit the amount of time put into it just isnt worth it to me.

Craigslist can be a risk itself as well and I have had many buyers not show up or agree to a price and then try haggling or not bring cash on site. I just don't have time for that.

Now you can try to hold on to it and sell it a few days before Christmas for several hundred more than needed to a desperate parent but that isn't worth the risk or moral conscious to me. It's also when I have the least amount of time to deal with flakey buyers.

Ebay is an option but after fees and the high rate of what looks like 0 feedback buyers makes it feel a bit too risky. Don't get me wrong if you follow policy and are careful its safe but you still have to deal with the hassle if it goes wrong.

I got several offers from individuals wanting to buy a console for $700, one of which was legit.

If I were to return a preorder to BestBuy which I had paid for with Paypal how would they reimburse me?

What is the best process for listing a PS4 from a midnight launch? I am in tenting to pick it up at midnight. Should I list it immediately or wait until the morning? If I wait until the morning a one day auction wouldn't end at 1am.

Anyone know if it's safe to sell it on eBay and then change the Amazon shipping address to the buyers? I see a lot of eBay listings posting this so that the buyer gets it on launch day but I'm not so sure if it's safe or right do so.

Anyone know if this is okay? Thinking of putting up the XOne on eBay and offer that method of shipping so that I don't need to have it shipped out again when it gets to me. 

Anyone know if it's safe to sell it on eBay and then change the Amazon shipping address to the buyers? I see a lot of eBay listings posting this so that the buyer gets it on launch day but I'm not so sure if it's safe or right do so.

Anyone know if this is okay? Thinking of putting up the XOne on eBay and offer that method of shipping so that I don't need to have it shipped out again when it gets to me.
It's been discussed before. You can ship this way but you will not be covered by Paypal Seller Protection because you will not have signature confirmation.

It's been discussed before. You can ship this way but you will not be covered by Paypal Seller Protection because you will not have signature confirmation.
Think it's worth it? I see XOnes that offer this shipping method go up to $750 compared to the other listings with regular shipping at $680.

Think it's worth it? I see XOnes that offer this shipping method go up to $750 compared to the other listings with regular shipping at $680.
Your call but if you ship that way all the buyer needs to do is open a dispute and you lose. You haven't met the qualifications for protection and wont be able to prove shipment.

One more question about Amazon orders. I will not have the buyer's money in my CC for them to charge when they start shipping, which is either tomorrow or thursday. Will they immediately cancel my pre-orders when there are insufficient funds in the next 2 days or will they try for a week, like usually? If so, will I lose my spot in the line?

One more question about Amazon orders. I will not have the buyer's money in my CC for them to charge when they start shipping, which is either tomorrow or thursday. Will they immediately cancel my pre-orders when there are insufficient funds in the next 2 days or will they try for a week, like usually? If so, will I lose my spot in the line?
I think you are playing with fire bro, if you are a new seller on Ebay PayPal is going to hold the funds until the buyer receives the item and up to 3 days afterward unless buyer leaves positive feedback, then you will get it in 2 days after delivery. If you do not have the funds when your card is attempted authorization you could very well lose your spot in line if not the pre-order all together. Plus changing delivery address this close to launch is a bad idea. Also as stated above if you have a swindler for a buyer and you do not get signature confirmation you automatically lose a dispute no questions asked and the buyer doesn't have to ship back if they claim the item wasn't received or that you sent a box full of magazines(SNAD claim). i am willing to bet there are buyers on Ebay targeting amazon sellers for a free system or two because they will only be out of their funds for a few days and Paypal will give it back. If I were you i would pay off you system with gift cards and wait until you have it in hand before selling/shipping or give up the thought of selling on EBay and try craigslist(wisely), it could save you a lot of headache and a lot of money. Just my $.02

This is an excellent question. I heard its fine, but i've also heard people say that changing the address screws up their queue in line to get a console

This is an excellent question. I heard its fine, but i've also heard people say that changing the address screws up their queue in line to get a console
A week or two ago that may have been fine but, now orders are starting to get packaged for shipment, I wouldn't want to take a chance on disrupting that process so close to launch. :whistle2:|

So is it easy for a buyer to scam a seller because of this? I sold my PS4 bundle like a week or two ago but the buyer is someone with 279 votes of 100% postive feedback so should I feel safe or nah? is it still possible for a high rated buyer to scam someone ? or should I only be worried if it was a buyer with no feedback

that's one guy we have not seen in long time mr focus i guess he is now crying he is not making bank on these things like we said would happen or he never had all those systems to start with.

if sony can pump out 3 million units by year end, along with however many microsoft manages, stores will be in surplus this christmas season, could you imagine even 4 million systems selling by christmas, that would be some kind of record.  either way its dangerous on ebay, the customer is always right.

the supply/demand for ps4 definitely did not play out like alot of people anticipated.  However, i'm still thinking we can pull in atlease $150 on CL/ebay from those uninformed/ignorant buyer that must have it right away.  I'm sure there will be a gap of 2-3 days of zero supply right after launch and near christmas, and that's when we can cash in for a quick hunnit fiddy. $300 profit would be a excellent subsidize for my own PS4.  Hope i'm right, i don't want to ship back my extra PS4 to amazon.  

I have a few too. i'm not going to list until i have it in-hand. i wont take anything less than $100 profit after fees or i rather not bother with the transaction at all.  I say list it on launch day with reserve at 650 and if it doesn't quickly sell. hold off and relist on the weekend on mon/tues.  by that time, supply would be exhausted and probably will likely not be replenish until mid to late next week. 

It's still possible things will go nuts after Friday and all stock is sold out. Then again, a lot of hopeful PS4 buyers may just shrug and go for the easier to get XBOX ONE the very next week instead. Too much supply from two different consoles. There is no secondary market that makes any sense profit wise to invest your time in.

I have a few too. i'm not going to list until i have it in-hand. i wont take anything less than $100 profit after fees or i rather not bother with the transaction at all. I say list it on launch day with reserve at 650 and if it doesn't quickly sell. hold off and relist on the weekend on mon/tues. by that time, supply would be exhausted and probably will likely not be replenish until mid to late next week.
Some could say you're....daring. *takes off glasses*

WOHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

bread's done
Back