The Official PSP 'UMD' Movie Discussion Thread

StewiePSP.jpg

September 27th, $29.99

I was at Circuit City yesterday and they had all the umds that are usually 24.99 and 29.99 everywhere else marked down to 19.99. And they have the 14.99 priced ones that Walmart, Target etc have. Might only be a short term thing, but for now they are one of the best retailers to get them from.

Just found out- you can add UMD's to your IGN collection! I don't have any so I can't tell you if it goes under PSP or becomes a new system

[quote name='BADAIM']Sacramento FRY's has

Black Hawk Down - $14.99
You Got Served - $14.99
Ghost Busters - $14.99

in right now[/QUOTE]

Pretty good since they dont come out till Tuesday. However, none of those interests me.

Looks like we are going to start to see entire Movie collections will be complete. XXX sequel is coming out, all the American Pies, Resident Evils (now finished)...Pretty cool.

[quote name='smalien1']Just found out- you can add UMD's to your IGN collection! I don't have any so I can't tell you if it goes under PSP or becomes a new system[/QUOTE]

I bought Resident Evil 2 yesterday, and yeah, it comes up under PSP. And the movies look AMAZING. I was in awes the whole time I was watching it.

For some reason I only want to watch comedies on UMD/mem card. I couldnt imagine watching drama/action one one.
The UMD I really want is Harold and Kumar. Who's with me?

Very good small article on why PSP UMDs are featureless...

"As we've wandered the Internet, reading consumer comments about DVDs vs. UMDs, we often see questions about how a UMD version of a title will almost always cost more than the same item on DVD, yet contain "less" in that there are almost never any supplements on the PSP version. People seem very confused by this, so now seems to be a good opportunity as any for us to comment on that, and explain what our understanding is of the cause. An industry contact, speaking in an off-the-record conversation, explained to me that the UMD authoring process is fairly complicated right now compared to DVDs, especially where menus are concerned. Adding bonus content means dealing swith additional menus, and so studios are hanging back right now and prefer not to include the extras which complicate the project by having to find room on the disc, take the time and expense to author the menus, and make it take longer to bring the release to market. Also driving up the cost is the fact that there are much fewer UMD authors at this time, while the format is stil ramping up and the programmers get the hang of the different system. Plus, it was indicated (if this was understood correctly) that all UMD content must currently go through Sony's UMD manufacturing system at this time. Still, these are just growing pains for a new video format, whereas DVD has been around since 1997. Give it time, and UMD costs will come down and the content will expand...just like DVD did!"

www.tvshowsondvd.com

I just bought Cowboy Bebop from an ebay seller with 100% positive feedback (about 118 total feedbacks).

He says he has it in stock and will ship it today (4 days before release!).

It was about $14 with $5 S&H, a little under the retail price of $20.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I just bought Cowboy Bebop from an ebay seller with 100% positive feedback (about 118 total feedbacks).

He says he has it in stock and will ship it today (4 days before release!).

It was about $14 with $5 S&H, a little under the retail price of $20.[/QUOTE]

Tell us if you get ripped.

Why would he get ripped? He's only saving $2 bucks by 'getting' it early, when infact, after shipping, he wont get it till it actually comes out.

Hey everyone. I'm new here... obviously.

Anyways, Circuit City's having a sale on Tuesday for the new UMD movies coming out which are Kill Bill Vol. 2 and Armageddon. Thought I'd let you guys know. :)

Oh and they're 17.99

I stopped by Wal-Mart today, and I didn't see one UMD over 23.99. It may hurt, but if your looking for a 29.99 UMD, they probably have it for 20 clams.

Cowboy Bebop arrived yesterday, the picture quality is amazing.

I guess it's because it has a higher pixel density, but it looks a lot better than movies on my portable DVD player (with a 7" screen), and it's much brighter.

Looks like a lot of UMDs are coming out today! I'll probably pick up The Dark Crystal and Monty Python if Wal-Mart has them for $14.88. Anyone else picking up anything out of today's new batch?

[quote name='Quackzilla']Wait, Monty Python?!

Is it episodes from the show or a movie?[/QUOTE]

says on the release list that the Holy Grail releases today

So we got tons of new released today....

July 26th : Assault on Precint 13 - $29.99, Chronicles of Riddick, The - $19.99, Cowboy Be-bop - The Movie $19.99, Dawn of the Dead - $19.99, Dark Crystal - $19.99, Fast and the Furious, The - $19.99, Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - $19.99, Labyrinth - $19.99, Monty Python and the Holy Grail - $19.99, Not Another Teen Movie (Uncensored Version) - $19.99, Rundown, The - $19.99, Steamboy DC - $26.99, Van Helsing - $19.99, XXX State of the Union

I went to two wal-marts, Target, Hastings, EB, Gamestop, and blockbuster and the only new UMDs I saw were Final Fantasy, Not Another Teen Movie, Steamboy, and XXX: State of the Union. All of them were at the first Wal-mart I went to....none of the other places had any new UMDs yet. Oh well, maybe the ones I want will be out in the next few days.....

[quote name='gizmogc']I didnt see DotD or Dark Crystal, both of which I was semi-interested in getting. Oh well, next week then.[/QUOTE]

I've seen copies of the Dark Crystal on Ebay today with the actual photos. I guess I just didn't look in the right stores.

have any of the umd movies started getting hard to find. With so many on the market and the fact only a few places stock them I'm sure some will be rare given enough time.

Few places stock them? I see more movies then actual games right now, and the movies are infact selling better then the games. My Best Buy dosn't even display the games in their section, but instead put UMD movies.

[quote name='gizmogc']Few places stock them? I see more movies then actual games right now, and the movies are infact selling better then the games. My Best Buy dosn't even display the games in their section, but instead put UMD movies.[/QUOTE]

I meant the # of stores that sell dvds vs UMDs is smaller. Not every store is a bestbuy/walmart/Circuit City. How many mom & pop video rental places are selling UMD movies ?

Saw DotD at Best Buy, but I didn't buy it. I did pick up Dark Crystal at Meijer for $14.99. Haven't seen Monty Python anywhere yet.

I went to FYE at Katy Mills Mall in Katy, TX today and they had the best selection of UMDs I've seen at any B&M so far. They pretty much had just about every one that's been released so far. You guys that are looking for certain UMDs might want to check out FYE, Coconuts, etc. if you are looking for something. I just got done ordering the Dark Crystal and Ghostbusters (releasing Tuesday) for about $29 shipped from Amazon. I think Amazon still has the best selection and prices online for UMDs though.

Anybody looking for a Kill Bill Vol. 1 UMD for cheap can find them at Gamestop B&M used for $14.99. That was the cheapest I had seen them anywhere, and it was in perfect condition, so I snatched it up immediately. I even saw a new copy of it right above it that said $24.99. :D

For anybody who hasn't already checked this week's Circuit City ad, they will have the UMD of Sin City on sale for $14.99 when it comes out on the 16th. Also, they have Riddick and Fast and the Furious for $12.99 this week. If I come up with the extra money for Sin City, I'll get it on UMD this week and wait to buy it on DVD for the special edition.

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']For anybody who hasn't already checked this week's Circuit City ad, they will have the UMD of Sin City on sale for $14.99 when it comes out on the 16th. Also, they have Riddick and Fast and the Furious for $12.99 this week. If I come up with the extra money for Sin City, I'll get it on UMD this week and wait to buy it on DVD for the special edition.[/QUOTE]

That is exactley what I was planning on doing.

Picked up the Sin City UMD today at CC with the lithographs and it also contains the behind the sceens footage from the current DVD release.

Edit: watched it yesterday and it looked great on the PSP the behind the sceens footage is really weak. I can't wait for the deluxe DVD to come out.

Where do you guys get your UMDs from? So far it seems like the cheapest route is either Wal-Mart for (B&M) or use rent the UMD and use "Keep It" from GameFly. $14.99 MSRP UMDs run for $11.99 and $19.99 MSRP UMDs run for $17.99.

[quote name='Friedle']Where do you guys get your UMDs from? So far it seems like the cheapest route is either Wal-Mart for (B&M) or use rent the UMD and use "Keep It" from GameFly. $14.99 MSRP UMDs run for $11.99 and $19.99 MSRP UMDs run for $17.99.[/QUOTE]

Lately I have been ordering them from Amazon. They have nice prices, a good selection, and free shipping over $25.

Sam's Club carries UMDs for $11.88, though the selection at mine seems light. I picked up Cabin Fever. What's the cure? More cowbell, of course.

Toy Story, which I didn't think was to be released until September 6, was on the shelf at Gamestop today for $24.99.

deepdiscountdvd.com has the best online selection and prices I've seen. FYE has the best b&m selection and competitive pricing. Oldboy was $19.99 and they're having a sale on Final Fantasy for $15 right now.

just to note: at Coconuts, they have seemed to get in the Ren and Stimpy UMD early, however, they are charging out the butt for it at 22.99.

[quote name='ddp72984']just to note: at Coconuts, they have seemed to get in the Ren and Stimpy UMD early, however, they are charging out the butt for it at 22.99.[/QUOTE]
It's 2 seasons of large pectoral muscles. what a bagain stimpy!

bread's done
Back