The OFFICIAL Shadowrun topic- Out Now!

shadowruntop.jpg

In the demo you will be able to toil around with the following:
* Training: Chapters 1, 2, and 3
* Solo Match and Public Match (so both bot play and multiplayer)
* One map: Power Station (which means only one game type: Raid)
* Two races: Elf and Human
* Magic: Tree of Life, Resurrect, Gust, and Teleport
* Tech: Glider, Enhanced Vision, and Smartlink
* Weapons: Pistol, SMG, Rifle, Shotgun, Katana, and Sniper Rifle
This is a game I am mildly interested in. So the sooner the demo the better, nice to already have a date for it.

[source]

The folks at FASA seem to have a tough time. They have their developer and community play session today on live, however being as today is the release day, most retailers don't even have it on the shelf yet. I'd imagine it's gonna be lonely on live for them.

[quote name='NWgamer666']The folks at FASA seem to have a tough time. They have their developer and community play session today on live, however being as today is the release day, most retailers don't even have it on the shelf yet. I'd imagine it's gonna be lonely on live for them.[/QUOTE]
Wow. They fucked that up.

I'll be buying this and Forza 2 tomorrow.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'll be getting this at CC along with (Pixar) Cars (free with purchase).[/QUOTE]
I thought about doing that, but I have $120 in credit at GameCrazy.

Can't see it working out too well. That's hella expensive for a game that's not much more than a sampler for a fully-fledged FPS (what was it... 8 maps?) and from what I've been hearing, the game's pretty complex, so that eliminates most of the potential players right there. I'd give this 3 weeks to fizz out.

Personally, I'm waiting to see how things work out for the game over the first few weeks. I'll pick up the PC version if it ends up being good. I won't blindly buy this one though.

I played the beta and can say you either love it or you hate it.
Half the people in my rooms hated it, and half liked it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'll be getting this at CC along with (Pixar) Cars (free with purchase).[/quote]

I am also planning on getting it at CC, but with XBLA Unplugged. Hopefully this game will last for a while, and will be fun throughout the summer.

[quote name='SynGamer']With no guaranteed future support, i'm going to hold off on this one for a few price drops.[/quote]
I'm also going to be waiting for a few price drops. $60 is way too much for a multiplayer only game with 9 maps.
And if they do release any bonus maps Microsoft had better not charge anything for them. Making people pay for more maps would be a slap in the face to those who bought this.

I think Jer might be on to something - Circuit City is really trying insanely hard to push Shadowrun out the door.

First a free $19.99 game if you get in on the 360 this week, next week Circuit City is selling it for $37.99 on the PC, but that's not all, they are giving you a FREE copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X with it, according to Speedy's ads!

That's like a whole other $49.99 value (or technically $37.99, since it'll be on sale too).

I've got a really bad feeling Shadowrun sucks, and that's why we're seeing huge incentives for it - and if it turns out to be good, hell, there are still some awesome incentives out there for it! It's like Microsoft (or maybe CC? But I'm sure MS is crediting them for the free games they are giving away) don't think Shadowrun can sell on it's own merits.

... but how would Circuit City know if it sucks? They, like most retailers, are devoid of specific entertainment knowledge.

PC games suffer, so that may explain the free Flight Simulator.

Circuit City clearances titles often and gives away freebies with new console releases (Guitar Hero II, Spider-Man 3, Crackdown, etc.). In this instance, they're probably sifting through stock and ditching the 360 titles that don't sell. (Cars, Bomberman and The Outfit are rotting on shelves.)

Might as well give an incentive to buy the title at their store. I don't think that's any inclination of the quality of the title.

[quote name='Roufuss']I think Jer might be on to something - Circuit City is really trying insanely hard to push Shadowrun out the door.

First a free $19.99 game if you get in on the 360 this week, next week Circuit City is selling it for $37.99 on the PC, but that's not all, they are giving you a FREE copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X with it, according to Speedy's ads!

That's like a whole other $49.99 value (or technically $37.99, since it'll be on sale too).

I've got a really bad feeling Shadowrun sucks, and that's why we're seeing huge incentives for it - and if it turns out to be good, hell, there are still some awesome incentives out there for it! It's like Microsoft (or maybe CC? But I'm sure MS is crediting them for the free games they are giving away) don't think Shadowrun can sell on it's own merits.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brak']... but how would Circuit City know if it sucks? They, like most retailers, are devoid of specific entertainment knowledge.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Circuit City knows that it sucks, but they have to be getting credited for every free game or every free copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X they are giving away.

I did claim that it was Microsoft themselves who don't think Shadowrun can sell based on its own merits for $60, no matter what the system, and that to me is pretty indicative of the quality of the game.

It's like they didn't think Crackdown could sell well on it's own, and pushed a Halo 3 Beta on to it to move a couple of extra copies. Giving away free games will work in Shadowrun's favor, regardless if the game is subpar or not.

The fact that we haven't yet seen ANY reviews is a bad sign, as well. Forza 2 has some reviews, but Shadowrun doesn't?

These are interesting tactics indeed.

Yea, Circuit City sells titles at below cost on release, but they generally don't give away $49.99 MSRP'ed games to sell them - I have a feeling that deal is Microsoft's doing (probably giving CC a credit for every MSFX they give away), just call it intuition.

I fully expect the worst from this game seeing as how the pieces are coming together. Big incentives + no reviews a day before release = not so good. I'd like to be wrong. I forgot too, no demo until well after the game is already on the shelves.

Its online only...and if it just came out, servers are nearly empty so that could explain the lack of reviews. Even if you get a copy, can't play until others get it too.

EGM guys said they hadn't received their copies yet. Not a good sign. Seems none of the sites have..

Can someone please tell me where they saw that this game is online only, because on xbox.com's Shadowrun profile they say that it is online or offline w/bots or in system link.

This game would have been great during a summer game drought. This summer it's different, this summer we have the Halo 3 beta to keep us busy, and when that ends there are so many great games coming out for the 360 and other consoles.

[quote name='jigglyspy']I didn't say that it wasn't multiplayer only. I am saying that you don't have to play online.[/QUOTE]

There are some training "missions" that are single player but there is no offline mode for normal gameplay (you and 7 bots playing CTF.)

[quote name='CrimGhost']This game would have been great during a summer game drought. This summer it's different, this summer we have the Halo 3 beta to keep us busy, and when that ends there are so many great games coming out for the 360 and other consoles.[/QUOTE]

We only have the Halo 3 beta until June 10 (is it the 10th, or 12th.) Anyway, theres only like 2 weeks left. Then what for the other 9 weeks of summer?

[quote name='lilboo']We only have the Halo 3 beta until June 10 (is it the 10th, or 12th.) Anyway, theres only like 2 weeks left. Then what for the other 9 weeks of summer?[/QUOTE]
Um, I hear the weather is nice during the summer...that's any idea. There are other games coming out this summer. FORZA!!!! Bioshock, NCAA Football, Madden, Mass Effect, and a ton of others.

[quote name='FrankySox']Um, I hear the weather is nice during the summer...that's any idea. There are other games coming out this summer. FORZA!!!! Bioshock, NCAA Football, Madden, Mass Effect, and a ton of others.[/QUOTE]

Yes awesome weather and The Darkness, RE4 Wii Edition, Manhunt 2, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Lair, MetroidPrime 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect...any others?

[quote name='Roufuss']but they have to be getting credited for every free game or every free copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X they are giving away.[/quote]

there's no reason to think that's the case. while it's possible (not plausible), chances are it's just a promotion to get people in Circuit City's doors.

I work at a concert venue - when we do free seat giveaways, buy one ticket get one free, or other discount offers, we don't get credit for them from the artist. It's a way for us to use available inventory (in our case, seats; in CC's case, a poorly selling game taking up inventory space) in order to drive more sales - whether it's for that current concert/game or something in the future to that person who feels they got a great deal at the theatre/CC.

Even people that don't get in on the deal may remember or have the impression in the future that, hey doesn't CC do cool offers on new games?

[quote name='jer7583']EGM guys said they hadn't received their copies yet. Not a good sign. Seems none of the sites have..[/quote]

Yeah.. when retailers get copies before reviewers do.. very bad sign.

That junk happened with Wrestlemania 21..

Well I wont get into a price debate here-- as thats a fight that was lost long before the game was released, plus this is CAG, so I don't think many of you picked it up today--unless you were really interested, loved the beta, or had some trade in credit.

I did(with trade in credit).

I like the game A LOT, I've only scratched the surface with some training and a good amount of local bot matches. They really did a good job of making everything you do in the game fun-- The shooting mechanic feels just right on the 360, and the weapons all have their place. Even the Pistol feels powerful when you team it up with a smart-link and enhanced vision. There is a good amount of locomotive, restorative, and combative Techs and Magic, and its pretty easy to combo things together to get much better results. See a sniper on the other side of the map but lack the means to counter-snipe? Throw a grenade and then use Gust--- the grenade is now a rocket and you just blew up that elf to kingdom come.

The combat is fast-- you've got your team laying fire down on a group, and then you see a Troll chime in with his minigun on your guys. Two fall, I pop the Tree of Life to get our health up and use it as cover, I take two out, but the minigun finally gets me and I'm gone---that is until our elf teleports in from the walkway below and casts a rezz. This all happens while you're still doing your normal FPS thing-- like you know, shooting guys in the head and throwing grenades. Its just all the more fun to have this be a continuous swing of motion until one side or the other gets enough right to soldier on.

I think the only complaint that I have is that it is complex, so knowing what is a good counter with what will take some time to get used to--and I really have only seen a little bit of what is in the game to enjoy.

I don't know about the reviews, but on the official forums FASA is clearly doing some damage control---The release in and of itself was botched. Advertisements were proclaiming the 29th as the in store date, when in fact due to the holiday it was today it was out. Added to the fact that reviewers can't really give the game a good once over until people actually start playing the thing-- It is a multiplayer only game.

All told though, I like it, and am glad I got it-- hopefully sooner rather than later, we can get more CAGs out to enjoy. :)

I was in the beta, and enjoyed the game a lot, but not at $60, when the Halo 3 beta is still ongoing for the next few weeks. When it drops down to $40 or so I will be picking it up

[quote name='CaptDS9E']I was in the beta, and enjoyed the game a lot, but not at $60, when the Halo 3 beta is still ongoing for the next few weeks. When it drops down to $40 or so I will be picking it up[/QUOTE]

Yeah but with Halo 3 and every other FPS on the horizon, when this game does finally drop to $40 do you think there are going to be people online playing it? That's going to kill it.

So I guess I'm going to try to pick this up after work. I got a $24 CC Giftcard and a FREE (Pixar) Cars game is too tempting to pass up. If I end up getting bored of it, I'll trade it/sell it.

I had a blast with the demo, so I'll be getting this by the end of the week. Having only nine maps is a bummer, but I can live with it.

[quote name='ryanbph']anyone else get it, any user reviews/feedback for it?[/quote]
Brak said it was awesome on the other thread with the poll.

EDIT: Actual words "This game is sick!"

[quote name='jrutz']Yeah but with Halo 3 and every other FPS on the horizon, when this game does finally drop to $40 do you think there are going to be people online playing it? That's going to kill it.[/quote]

And thus the tragic flaw of online only. Anyone know if you can setup private servers? I mean, with the PC version, i'm almost positive you could...so that could extend the life of the game.

I'll give the bot play a try when it goes up on the retail site. I'm sure it's fun, but i'm also sure it'll never catch on with the masses due to complexity/originality.

A shame.

I like a good FPS as much as anyone but c'mon, you have the Shadowrun license and you DON'T make the game some sort of RPG?! I'm not saying I would've wanted random encounters and all that sort of stuff but to not turn the Shadowrun universe into a game more along the lines of Deus Ex is a shame.

I was at CC today to pick up Forza 2 and there were several other people there either for it or Mario Party 8, I didn't see anyone there to take advantage of the "Buy Shadowrun, get a 19.99 360 game for free." deal.

[quote name='SynGamer']And thus the tragic flaw of online only. Anyone know if you can setup private servers? I mean, with the PC version, i'm almost positive you could...so that could extend the life of the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain you can't set up private servers with the PC version, thus there will never be any mods / maps / anything.

It all depends on the game, and there is barely any info out there on Shadowrun PC, just this on Live Anywhere PC:

Though for Halo 2, the game owner is able to setup their own dedicated server, this may not be the same for every other game on Games for Windows - LIVE. It is down to developers to add this functionality into the service and it is not yet known whether third parties are required to add it to get the LIVE branding.

I've heard it won't be allowed because Microsoft is encouraging 360 and PC users to play together, and not seperate. I've also heard you won't be able to tell them apart unless you go into their Gamer Card to see. Nobody really knows though.

[quote name='ryanbph']anyone else get it, any user reviews/feedback for it?[/QUOTE]

I posted one right above Brak's:

I like the game A LOT, I've only scratched the surface with some training and a good amount of local bot matches. They really did a good job of making everything you do in the game fun-- The shooting mechanic feels just right on the 360, and the weapons all have their place. Even the Pistol feels powerful when you team it up with a smart-link and enhanced vision. There is a good amount of locomotive, restorative, and combative Techs and Magic, and its pretty easy to combo things together to get much better results. See a sniper on the other side of the map but lack the means to counter-snipe? Throw a grenade and then use Gust--- the grenade is now a rocket and you just blew up that elf to kingdom come.

The combat is fast-- you've got your team laying fire down on a group, and then you see a Troll chime in with his minigun on your guys. Two fall, I pop the Tree of Life to get our health up and use it as cover, I take two out, but the minigun finally gets me and I'm gone---that is until our elf teleports in from the walkway below and casts a rezz. This all happens while you're still doing your normal FPS thing-- like you know, shooting guys in the head and throwing grenades. Its just all the more fun to have this be a continuous swing of motion until one side or the other gets enough right to soldier on.

I think the only complaint that I have is that it is complex, so knowing what is a good counter with what will take some time to get used to--and I really have only seen a little bit of what is in the game to enjoy.

I don't know about the reviews, but on the official forums FASA is clearly doing some damage control---The release in and of itself was botched. Advertisements were proclaiming the 29th as the in store date, when in fact due to the holiday it was today it was out. Added to the fact that reviewers can't really give the game a good once over until people actually start playing the thing-- It is a multiplayer only game.

All told though, I like it, and am glad I got it-- hopefully sooner rather than later, we can get more CAGs out to enjoy.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']From my understanding, the demo should be up next week so those who are on the fence may want to wait for that.[/quote]

Im assuming XBL demo?

bread's done
Back