The Official Shelving Discussion Thread

Thank you, gentlemen!

Once I'm done I'll FINALLY do the writeup that I've been promising. I did this all with nothing more than a handheld drill, miter saw, hammer, and hand saw. If it were to be free standing, then it all could have been done with a hammer/nails and nothing else. Almost ANYONE should be able to make their own shelves :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to make the center shelves slide out. Luckily I have a bunch if leftover brackets from another house project :)

This is where it's at as of this moment. Even though it pretty much looks full already, there's actually a good amount if space left to work with when I need it, plus it eliminates two stand alone shelves that made the room really claustrophobic.

617938FD-FED5-4F25-8975-6740C7843BD9-1859-0000017668BFB437.jpg

Pull out shelves for controllers and consoles.
3AC59377-CBE4-4034-8284-F30589B6B199-2913-00000212C14E6FBF.jpg

1064241E-2661-4453-889C-73C3C4244CAB-2913-00000212BB8C8AD1.jpg

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but what do you guys think of one of these shelves? 

http://www.target.com/p/deluxe-multimedia-storage-rack-black-large/-/A-12942016#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

Or 

http://www.target.com/p/atlantic-oskar-media-tower-espresso/-/A-13368302#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

I have 4 smaller Atlantic shelves and even though they're the same composite wood material, they're much nicer than the other brands. But I've also heard that they've gone down the drain in terms of quality so I'm not sure I should bother. Their price really isn't that much higher than the generic brand either (40 cents per DVD for the Atlantic vs 39 cents per DVD for the generic). 

Plus, the Atlantic is taller... which is better than wider. 

EDIT* 

Or maybe 2 of these? 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atlantic+-+Oskar+Media+Tower+-+Espresso/1453147.p?id=1218261019098&skuId=1453147

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but what do you guys think of one of these shelves?

http://www.target.com/p/deluxe-multimedia-storage-rack-black-large/-/A-12942016#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

Or

http://www.target.com/p/atlantic-oskar-media-tower-espresso/-/A-13368302#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

I have 4 smaller Atlantic shelves and even though they're the same composite wood material, they're much nicer than the other brands. But I've also heard that they've gone down the drain in terms of quality so I'm not sure I should bother. Their price really isn't that much higher than the generic brand either (40 cents per DVD for the Atlantic vs 39 cents per DVD for the generic).

Plus, the Atlantic is taller... which is better than wider.

EDIT*

Or maybe 2 of these?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atlantic+-+Oskar+Media+Tower+-+Espresso/1453147.p?id=1218261019098&skuId=1453147
The new Atlantic shelves are a lot cheaper now, and it's irritating on each shelf sticks out a little now from the frame because the boards they use on the frame aren't as deep, not to mention they're thinner too. The shelves aren't even deep enough anymore either, as DVD cases even stick out a little as well on the shelves. Just saddened at how far Atlantic has fallen since its earlier days.

The one on Target looks awfully similar to a Prepac shelf, so not sure if that's what it is since they don't have any brand information on it, but from the stock photo that's what it looks like. Prepac shelves are pretty nice, but they're usually awfully expensive, which is why I tend to steer away from them, although I have friends who have Prepac shelves, and they're definitely good shelves.

Damn. Sucks the stores don't carry them so I can't check them out... 

Not sure about the Prepac stuff since I never used them. 

Damn. Sucks the stores don't carry them so I can't check them out...

Not sure about the Prepac stuff since I never used them.
Prepacs are more solidly built than Atlantic shelves for sure, but the assembly on them are a bit more complicated, which is one thing Atlantic is pretty good about, but too bad their shelves blow now.

I own an Atlantic Oskar (the $200 one in the target link) in a blonde/light wood unit. I paid around $50 from Hastings (b&m) during a sale.

It was much better than what I had before and feels very solid mounted to the wall. I had DVDs on it, but now it has my CD collection on it.

My friend owns about 8-10 of these and he's seen the quality go down over the years. He's been buying them as needed as his DVD collection has grown.

I have Sauder shelves and I really like the look but they sag bad just under the weight of blurays. Does anyone have any advice for bracing them. I was thinking of a flat metal plate along the bottom or back to give the shelf strength.

Prepacs are more solidly built than Atlantic shelves for sure, but the assembly on them are a bit more complicated, which is one thing Atlantic is pretty good about, but too bad their shelves blow now.
Building things isn't a problem... it's just that I don't know what to expect from it.:whistle2:k

I have Sauder shelves and I really like the look but they sag bad just under the weight of blurays. Does anyone have any advice for bracing them. I was thinking of a flat metal plate along the bottom or back to give the shelf strength.
I'd use some aluminum "L" bar along the back/bottom.

Aluminum Bar @ Home Depot

A metal plate along the bottom will present the same problems as the shelves themselves. The L bar should give you the support that you need ;)

Any quips about this shelf?

http://www.target.com/p/multimedia-storage-tower-cinnamon-cherry/-/A-11826075#prodSlot=medium_1_6

I know Sauder makes it but given it's simple design, it's pretty hard to fuck up (I imagine). I don't know what it's called or where to get a black one (I think they make a black one). I'm thinking that getting 2x of these will probably be much easier on my back and easier to move and cost much less for roughly the same amount of storage.
Best bang for your buck, hands down.

I have 3 of them.

Get them at Walmart though, since you can site to store/Fedex pickup location it for free shipping, unless you have a red card at Target or something.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-O-Sullivan-Multimedia-Storage-Tower-Cinnamon-Cherry/13044874

Bleh... I guess they don't make it in anything other than "cinnamon cherry"? That's one ugly color. We have a beige one that was purchased years ago, I might have to do some hunting to find another color. 

My only issue with these are that I'd rather have a tall shelf since height is usually unused real estate. You can only stack so many things on top of a shelf before they become a toppling hazard. Sauder does make one that's slightly taller (roughly 10" taller) but only offers marginally more space and costs more than twice as much so that's not worth it. 

Bah, I don't know what to do... :whistle2:k

Bleh... I guess they don't make it in anything other than "cinnamon cherry"? That's one ugly color. We have a beige one that was purchased years ago, I might have to do some hunting to find another color.

My only issue with these are that I'd rather have a tall shelf since height is usually unused real estate. You can only stack so many things on top of a shelf before they become a toppling hazard. Sauder does make one that's slightly taller (roughly 10" taller) but only offers marginally more space and costs more than twice as much so that's not worth it.

Bah, I don't know what to do... :whistle2:k
It's actually a lot darker than you would think. If you look at my collection pics and how it sits next to other stands that are black, it doesn't really look as bright as it does in the stock photo.

But I would know Square... it would haunt me at night.

I'm gonna keep looking for a tall option. I thought Ikea was supposed to have a decent selection of shelves but their selection sucks. They have a really tall type of shelf but it's expensive as hell, given that it holds so few DVDs. 

does it have to be a shelving unit?  I have a small media room and I find the best use of space has been in dressers. I have two of the 8 drawer hopen chest from ikea. although when I get mine they were half the price than they are listed at now. I use it to house the majority of my collection, and now I use the bookshelves I have to display select items I want to look at.

they do make the hopen in a 6 drawer model, which is a little less expensive, but taller, so you could potentially fit more against a wall.

But I would know Square... it would haunt me at night.

I'm gonna keep looking for a tall option. I thought Ikea was supposed to have a decent selection of shelves but their selection sucks. They have a really tall type of shelf but it's expensive as hell, given that it holds so few DVDs.
You talking about the Bennos? If you are, those are awful.

Yeah, I think that's what they're called... guess that means Ikea is out. 

Are there any online furniture stores for shelves? There was one that used to be recommended quite often back in the day but I can't remember what it was. 

I followed someone else's example here and stack the sauder shelves squarehard mentioned. I anchor the top unit and it's pretty solid, plus it goes almost to the ceiling so no wasted space.

Just an fyi, the Sauder shelf has been on sale for a couple months now, so for those who are in need of new shelf space after the holiday season I would recommend it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-O-Sullivan-Multimedia-Storage-Tower-Cinnamon-Cherry/13044874

Definitely the best bang for your buck as far as shelf space is concerned, especially when it's on sale for $29.

So...does anyone gave any recommendations for taller DVD/BD shelving? These shelves in the three foot height neighborhood are completely inadequate.
^

bread's done
Back