The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Sweet... kunnai'd 2 copies of Beowulf to finally bring by GR credit up to $170, got Rock Band 360! On a site note, they were clearancing fake lobby cards for Grindhouse. 75 cents each, woot!

On the phonewith BB right now, checking the PS3 version. And the survey saaaayyyysss.............

$36 as of 10:15am EST

And the Kunai train keeps on a'rolling.

[quote name='sp00ge']On the phonewith BB right now, checking the PS3 version. And the survey saaaayyyysss.............

$36 as of 10:15am EST

And the Kunai train keeps on a'rolling.[/QUOTE]

And the 360 version holds at $35 as of 10:20 Eastern.

[quote name='wolfpackgamer']I think best buy did drop the price; could be wrong but its listed online as 19.99. Unless you mean lower than that...[/quote]

Oooh. Any coupons that can be burned on this?

$15 for $35/6 in GR credit is much tasteir than $20 for $35/6, shifting it from a 75% payoff to a 100% or more payoff, depending on tax.

Halo 3 trade price raised from $32 back to 35 @ GS that makes it $49 after 40% bump. I emptied my GR credit into two Halo 3s and a Wii Zapper at GR. Traded the games in at GS and then used a 10% off next purchase coupon and bought UT3. Nice to have a pile of credit where you can actually get games on release day.

...it held? Wow. I guess I can't resist another handful more, hm. I'll probably use a different value card, though... two GR employees made comments on the high value of my current one after it hit $200.

I'm pretty sure the only people in the world who know about this are CAGs. I just called the local BB/GR and asked the woman if I can bring in multiple copies of a game to trade in and she replied with a bewildered I guess so as if no one had ever done that before.

Has anyone checked up on this Sunday's 7.99 games from CC?

7.99 Games:
Call Of Juarez >>>> 360
Red Steel >>>> Wii
Monster Madness: Battle For Suburbia >>>> 360

ok so if i buy 6 copies of beowulf(at gamestop) and trade them in at different blockbuster locations i make 66$ ?

Wow, I just caught wind of the $10 off coupon from Best Buy so I went over and tried to buy 2 copies using 2 separate transactions, the girl was staring intently at the coupon for what seemed forever. I was sure she'd read the part where it said 'original only' but she basically told me that I could only use one, since it's one per customer. I said I'd just come back later for the second copy.
So $10.81 spent for $36 is a spectacular Kunaii!!!! Can't wait to do this about 8-10 times.

[quote name='soriku']ok so if i buy 6 copies of beowulf(at gamestop) and trade them in at different blockbuster locations i make 66$ ?[/quote]

You're better off buying 6 copies from Best Buy using the $10 off coupon and getting them for $10 a piece.

You'll spend $60 and get $216 of credit at Gamerush/Blockbuster

Or spend $120 (6 X $20) at GS/EB and get $216 at GR/BB

I think the first option is better....:)

I'm recycling my GS credit. Picked up 2 PS3 Beowulf and 2 360 madden 06 with GS credit for $44 after 10% coupon + 10% edge and tax. Traded them in for $88 credit at BB. Picked up 2 copies of Halo3 (both had the posters, one had the XBL Trial card) and they are going back to Gamestop later on for $98 ($35/each + 30% + 10% Edge).

This will bring my in-store credit to ~$200. Starting with an initial $40 investment (plus a few dollars to cover the difference on these last 2 copies of halo3) and a few crappy games.

how do you guys not get banned from trading so much? I got banned from 2 possibly 3 GR/BB back with the darkness/HOV deal. Good thing there are about 20 BB within 25 mile radius so I am set.

[quote name='Rob26Smith']how do you guys not get banned from trading so much? I got banned from 2 possibly 3 GR/BB back with the darkness/HOV deal. Good thing there are about 20 BB within 25 mile radius so I am set.[/quote]

If there are that many BB around your area then there is no reason for you to have been banned. You just have to play it safe and trade a couple of copies of each game at different locations. I doubt you could make it to every location each day so by the time you've gone around a few of them you could start back at the first one and by then they won't remember you.

[quote name='mrhappi79']Wow, I just caught wind of the $10 off coupon from Best Buy so I went over and tried to buy 2 copies using 2 separate transactions, the girl was staring intently at the coupon for what seemed forever. I was sure she'd read the part where it said 'original only' but she basically told me that I could only use one, since it's one per customer. I said I'd just come back later for the second copy.
So $10.81 spent for $36 is a spectacular Kunaii!!!! Can't wait to do this about 8-10 times.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just did that too. Well, I didn't try for two copies, just the one. Pretty awesome flip though, little over 300% return.

Sadly, I have a good number of BB and 2 GR within a 15 mile radius. All of which only accept 1 of each game. T_T Which makes me not want to frequent them.

EDIT: whoops, saw the thread on page 2, its just closed is all. Anyway, now the details are here if anyone cares.

Btw, there used to be another thread talking about some upcoming PS3 deal at Blockbuster/Gamerush, and I know io said to talk about it here now, but I don't remember if anybody ever spelled out the details. So anyway, I saw a bunch of these bundles at two stores today so I figured I'd run down what's in it.

As a side note, I heard employees talking about how they thought similar bundles may be coming out for 360 and Wii, but not sure.

For $599, you get:

-80 GB PS3
-Motorstorm (packed in with the PS3, as per usual)
-Surf's Up on Blu-ray
-PS3 remote control
-an HDMI cable
-a 20-week games and movie rental pass (1 game or movie rental per week, for 20 consecutive weeks)

So you're basically paying $100 for the HDMI cable, Surf's Up, remote, and the rental card..... which means its sorta meh in my opinion. If you rent stuff frequently, then it might be worth it, considering game rentals are like $7 or $8 and movies are about $5. I could really care less about Surf's Up personally.

Anyway, that's the deal, just FYI.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'm recycling my GS credit. Picked up 2 PS3 Beowulf and 2 360 madden 06 with GS credit for $44 after 10% coupon + 10% edge and tax. Traded them in for $88 credit at BB. Picked up 2 copies of Halo3 (both had the posters, one had the XBL Trial card) and they are going back to Gamestop later on for $98 ($35/each + 30% + 10% Edge).

This will bring my in-store credit to ~$200. Starting with an initial $40 investment (plus a few dollars to cover the difference on these last 2 copies of halo3) and a few crappy games.[/QUOTE]

just curious, but how much value are you placing on time and effort and gas into the equation. I see how you can turn $40 into $200, but one has to place a value on the time spent into the value of the return. For me, once I figured I was not getting a true 2 to 1 on my trading due to fruitless visits, the appeal just wore off. My intent isnt to be a downer, so as long as you think you are getting a good deal keep up with it.

I am thinking of doing a quick trade of a few beowulf each day for the rest of the week only because the BB/GR is next door to the GS so for about a 30min effort at $10/hr, the return of $19 to $36 seems like it is worth it to me.

added: and time spent here is not included.

Just pickd up another 15 :ps3: copies with the coupon at Best Buy- 10 for me and 5 for the GR manager (who gave me his GC to pick up a few copies for him- turned his $55 into $180 GR credit). I already kunai'ed the 10 I picked up too.

So that was $108 into $360- making $252 and a powerful ally in two hours is definitely worth it me.

I double checked a few prices, and some :360: games stood still (Open Season, Fuzion Frenzy 2, Cars). I'm assuming no drops this week.

AV- I picked clean the Best Buy in Sherman Oaks, but Woodlad Hills and Porter Ranch still had at least 2 each (when I left).

[quote name='djkunai']

I double checked a few prices, and some :360: games stood still (Open Season, Fuzion Frenzy 2, Cars). I'm assuming no drops this week.

.[/quote]

How much are these going for? I'm assuming this is the XB360 3-pack for $40 or so at GS?

Ah, tomorrow, I'm hitting up the BBuy with a BBuster across the street. I am going to go Wii Points crazy. $26 for 2x Beowolf 2x Madden = $86 credit = 8000 Wii Points to load myself up on VC games, and plenty to spare to send VC games to my friends every couple of days 'till x-mas. Nice!

[quote name='djkunai']Just pickd up another 15 :ps3: copies with the coupon at Best Buy- 10 for me and 5 for the GR manager (who gave me his GC to pick up a few copies for him- turned his $55 into $180 GR credit). I already kunai'ed the 10 I picked up too.

So that was $108 into $360- making $252 and a powerful ally in two hours is definitely worth it me.

AV- I picked clean the Best Buy in Sherman Oaks, but Woodlad Hills and Porter Ranch still had at least 2 each (when I left).[/quote]You sir have a serious addiction requiring an intervention:D Seriously, kudos on the major profit. I was already jealous that you had BB/GRs that would allow so much trading of multiple copies, but getting that "powerful ally" is a big plus. :applause: I'd do some serious kunaiing if I didn't have to take only one copy of each game to each BB/GR.

[quote name='djkunai']Just pickd up another 15 :ps3: copies with the coupon at Best Buy- 10 for me and 5 for the GR manager (who gave me his GC to pick up a few copies for him- turned his $55 into $180 GR credit). I already kunai'ed the 10 I picked up too.

AV- I picked clean the Best Buy in Sherman Oaks, but Woodlad Hills and Porter Ranch still had at least 2 each (when I left).[/quote]

Did the GR manager give you any idea how long the trade-in value would hold? Does anyone else have any idea?

[/QUOTE]

Alright, now I'm starting not to believe your stories. You've got a GR manager in on the flipping with you which seems outrageous enough. But the ability to use 15 of those printed Best Buy coupons to get that many copies? That I have a hard time believing. Did you do that all in one transaction? My Best Buy will most likely deny even one attempt. :bomb:

I am totally considering getting a PS3 simply because 18 Beo's @ $10 ea = $180 for $650 credit = PS3 + tax = ~ $200 for an 80 Gig PS3.

IF I can pull it off. And that's a BIG if.

[quote name='io']Alright, now I'm starting not to believe your stories. You've got a GR manager in on the flipping with you which seems outrageous enough. But the ability to use 15 of those printed Best Buy coupons to get that many copies? That I have a hard time believing. Did you do that all in one transaction? My Best Buy will most likely deny even one attempt. :bomb:[/quote]
To be completely honest, I cut off the bottom of the coupon (right under the expiration date). No details listed, no questions asked.

If you still don't believe me, I have 15 individual receipts I could take a pic of when I get home. ;)

[quote name='djkunai']To be completely honest, I cut off the bottom of the coupon (right under the expiration date). No details listed, no questions asked.

If you still don't believe me, I have 15 individual receipts I could take a pic of when I get home. ;)[/quote]

As I stated earlier my Best Buy only let me use one. I'll try it your way, I'm assuming 15 separate transactions with 15 separate coupons?

[quote name='mrhappi79']I'll try it your way, I'm assuming 15 separate transactions with 15 separate coupons?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I'm really concerned that your excessive trading is going to bring the heat down on all of us. Last time this kind of abusive trading occurred the DM's for GR pulled the trade history for the stores and started banning people who met the profile, especially when you're trading in the same vicinity as me So Cal. So my 10 trades spread out over 4 stores is suddenly going to stand out. Not like your's, but I bet I'll show in the top 20 traders for that item.

my concerned 2 cents!!

Wow, I haven't flipped games in a while. I will definitely hit up my BB and hopefully find some copies. I only have $20 credit at GR and Mass Effect is calling me, lol.

[quote name='djkunai']
AV- I picked clean the Best Buy in Sherman Oaks, but Woodlad Hills and Porter Ranch still had at least 2 each (when I left).[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up. I got the last two ps3 copies at Woodland hills and used the 10 off coupon on both with no problem. Converted $21.62 to $72

[quote name='abducted vision']Thanks for the heads up. I got the last two ps3 copies at Woodland hills and used the 10 off coupon on both with no problem. Converted $21.62 to $72[/quote]

Dude, vodka.

I got 6 copies at best buy for ps3 $70.00 w/ $10 ps3 coupon... each where $10.60 after tax!!
Flipped them all at Blockbuster! LOL @ $36.00 a piece... for a total of $216. Then bought 4 used copies of halo 3 @ 44.00 per game...

Then traded those 4 used copies of Halo 3 at GS with 30% + 10 Edge for a total of $196 @ $49.00 LOL

I LOVE CAG

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back