The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='rcaido']They will probably think you stole it...Just open it up its not that hard...[/quote]

Exactly, i mean if u have the system the game is for why not give it a spin. I tried out Alvin and the Chipmunks for Wii before i got rid of it, if it ever goes down to $3 used Im gonna get it to keep lol

Do BB co workers have the right to ban you if u trade in the same games in? b/c i overheard one of the employee when i walk out the door saying "when that guy come in here, dont let him trade anymore games." I been trading games at BB over 2 years and now they trying to ban me? Can someone help me out with this situation. I only trade game once or twice per week. I trade in Darkness & hour of victory.

[quote name='TMNT770']Do BB co workers have the right to ban you if u trade in the same games in? b/c i overheard one of the employee when i walk out the door saying "when that guy come in here, dont let him trade anymore games." I been trading games at BB over 2 years and now they trying to ban me? Can someone help me out with this situation. I only trade game once or twice per week. I trade in Darkness & hour of victory.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they have the right to refuse trades to ANYONE they feel. This has been discussed before....they can ban anyone for any reason. It's a business and they have the freedom to run it however they please.

I just called and got the following price quotes:

:360: The Darkness $32
:360: Hour of Victory $32
:360: Monster Madness $22
:360: Battlestations: Midway $19

[quote name='TMNT770']Do BB co workers have the right to ban you if u trade in the same games in? b/c i overheard one of the employee when i walk out the door saying "when that guy come in here, dont let him trade anymore games." I been trading games at BB over 2 years and now they trying to ban me? Can someone help me out with this situation. I only trade game once or twice per week. I trade in Darkness & hour of victory.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what kind of help you are expecting to get. How much have you traded in - do you bring the same games in repeatedly? Some people can get away with that and some can't even though it isn't against any terms printed in the trade agreement (as doubledown said, it is simply up to the whims of the BB employee/store manager/district manager). I'm still trying to sort out my "trading hold" at a couple of stores. They are very nice to me about it and keep saying they will take care of it but I just think it is not a priority for them and they forget about it as soon as I leave. And I only ever traded ONE copy of Beowulf (well, 1 PS3 and 1 360 copy, anyway) to this particular store. I may contact corporate at some point, but it really isn't a big priority for me either since I've just been taking what I would have taken to BB into Gamecrazy instead. Gee, I can actually use my credit there on stuff I want - what a concept! Yeah, I can't flip in huge volume that way but I never really did that anyway.

The thing that annoys me about my "hold" is that I've never really gotten a decent explanation for it. If they are going to ban they ought to at least provide a reason for it. As far as I can tell, it all started because one clerk thought someone trading in more than 1 copy of a game (at different stores) would only be able to do so if they were stolen. So in that respect I want the damn thing cleared off just out of general principals.

[quote name='DaFederal']
Is the wiki coming back? It redirects to the main page atm.[/QUOTE]

So it does... Hmmm... How long has it been like this? Ever since CAG came back up? I hope that data wasn't lost, but it is a possibility. I'll be bugging Cheapy about this ASAP.

[quote name='io']So it does... Hmmm... How long has it been like this? Ever since CAG came back up? I hope that data wasn't lost, but it is a possibility. I'll be bugging Cheapy about this ASAP.[/quote]

I was on it a couple hours ago

[quote name='elmyra']I just called and got the following price quotes:

:360: The Darkness $32
:360: Hour of Victory $32
:360: Monster Madness $22
:360: Battlestations: Midway $19[/quote]

DAMN arent mosnter madness and midway $3 kmart games?

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']DAMN arent mosnter madness and midway $3 kmart games?[/quote]

Well, at least one person got them for that price. I checked the prices because of that report, but I just got back from Kmart, and they're ringing up $19.97 for me. Bummer.

[quote name='nietzsche74']Anyone happen to notice Turok (360) for sale at their local Gamerush?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw about 5 copies per platform a little while ago here in Denton, TX. Kinda funny since their release board says 1/8.

I also got EGM in the mail today and they gave Turok 6.5, 6.5 and 7.0. I think I'll pass for now. (not that I trust EGM or reviews in general *that* greatly, but I got lots to play already)

Just to add something to the GTA San Andreas AO version gig, I was told that if we took in the AO version of GTA eitehr PS2/Xbox we would get fired so I think its an across the company policy that we can not even trade in that game. I guess you could trick someone? There was only one GTA San Andreas Xbxo when I checked our compputers and it only fetches a couple bucks. Maybe it scans different? But like I said it seems like the AO version is a big no no for trades.

[quote name='io']I'm not sure what kind of help you are expecting to get. How much have you traded in - do you bring the same games in repeatedly? Some people can get away with that and some can't even though it isn't against any terms printed in the trade agreement (as doubledown said, it is simply up to the whims of the BB employee/store manager/district manager). I'm still trying to sort out my "trading hold" at a couple of stores. They are very nice to me about it and keep saying they will take care of it but I just think it is not a priority for them and they forget about it as soon as I leave. And I only ever traded ONE copy of Beowulf (well, 1 PS3 and 1 360 copy, anyway) to this particular store. I may contact corporate at some point, but it really isn't a big priority for me either since I've just been taking what I would have taken to BB into Gamecrazy instead. Gee, I can actually use my credit there on stuff I want - what a concept! Yeah, I can't flip in huge volume that way but I never really did that anyway.

The thing that annoys me about my "hold" is that I've never really gotten a decent explanation for it. If they are going to ban they ought to at least provide a reason for it. As far as I can tell, it all started because one clerk thought someone trading in more than 1 copy of a game (at different stores) would only be able to do so if they were stolen. So in that respect I want the damn thing cleared off just out of general principals.[/quote]
I traded one Hour of victory & one Darkness last week.

[quote name='h2dk']I was on it a couple hours ago[/QUOTE]

The word from Cheapy is that the Wiki will be back shortly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back