The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='vgmben']I got a question, if a blockbuster store doesn't have a game you trade in avaiable for rent(probably got stollen or lost) will the they give you more in trade value for it? Because I just traded a regular xbox game two days ago and they gave me 30 credit for it and I was shocked. But then I got greedy so I went to ebay and bought a whole bunch of the same game.....for cheap.... does anyone have any info on this? Did I just waste my money buying more copies of the game and that was a one time thing? or am I going to hit the jackpot when I get my ebay games?[/QUOTE]

Care to share what game this is?

[quote name='vgmben']I got a question, if a blockbuster store doesn't have a game you trade in avaiable for rent(probably got stollen or lost) will the they give you more in trade value for it? Because I just traded a regular xbox game two days ago and they gave me 30 credit for it and I was shocked. But then I got greedy so I went to ebay and bought a whole bunch of the same game.....for cheap.... does anyone have any info on this? Did I just waste my money buying more copies of the game and that was a one time thing? or am I going to hit the jackpot when I get my ebay games?[/quote]

I highly doubt someone's going to help you if you don't at least share what the game was. To me, it's like you're being greedy. Asking for help and not helping out other members.

But, whatever. Doesn't make a difference to me since I'm currently broke.

whats the point of posting what game it was if it's a one time deal because it's YMMV and only that spacific location

[quote name='vgmben']whats the point of posting what game it was if it's a one time deal because it's YMMV and only that spacific location[/quote]

Well that's the thing, what if it's not? Curious to see either way what you were able to pawn off for such a high price.

I spent 65 bucks on ebay to get 8 copies of this game, X that by 30 =240
some how I doubt I want to give up the name of the game until i get my copies and it works again. It's not greedy it's smart. after i'm done I might post it on here if people are nice enough to share information. So far not looking good.

They most likely entered in the wrong game and you are now hosed. I've had them pick the wrong title before and give me a slightly better price but never a $24 increase, more like $3.

[quote name='vgmben']whats the point of posting what game it was if it's a one time deal because it's YMMV and only that spacific location[/quote]
what's the point of not posting the game's title other than to create a little drama.

Edit: Wow just saw your reply. The definition of greed itself.

no the dude checked twice to make sure it wasn't a mistake, and like i stated before I can sell the game to another store for 8 bucks either way I don't lose anything. Even if I lose a buck trading them to BB it's no big deal. And actually the games values gonna go up regardless
kinda like halo and halo 2's value did

[quote name='vgmben']after i'm done I might post it on here if people are nice enough to share information. So far not looking good.[/quote]
Look in the mirror.

CAG users are some of the most generous forum members I've ever encountered online.

Edit: I just re-read your post and it's absolutely hilarious that you're saying people aren't nice enough to share information when this is the third or fourth thread for gamerush/blockbuster, and there are already 147 pages of shared information at your disposal!

yea well so far not one person has shared any helpful info, everyone just cares about what they can get out of it. Look in the mirror yourself

lol, loser. why are you even bothering to post here? you don't seem to understand.

[quote name='vgmben']I spent 65 bucks on ebay to get 8 copies of this game, X that by 30 =240
some how I doubt I want to give up the name of the game until i get my copies and it works again. It's not greedy it's smart. after i'm done I might post it on here if people are nice enough to share information. So far not looking good.[/quote]

Okay fine, here's his eBay account:

http://myworld.ebay.com/vgmben

Just wait for the feedback to come rolling in~

What's even better is he bought 2 of the Dell coupon codes from eBay, has yet to contribute a single post to CAG helping out other members, and says we need to look in the mirror. Well my mirror is two way and I SEE RIGHT THROUGH TO YOU.

Most people don't post until they are finished and completed their CAG mission. Sorry if i'm a little more advanced CAG'er

[quote name='vgmben']yea well so far not one person has shared any helpful info, everyone just cares about what they can get out of it. Look in the mirror yourself[/quote]

Look in the mirror myself? Does that even make sense? I haven't asked for anything!

Look at the $25 Dell thing? WTF does that have to do with CAG? Unless you know for a fact that the majority of CAGs participated in fraud (which is impossible), you shouldn't make a blanket statement against all the users on this site. I'm surprised you've been a member since 2005.

Here's his myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=17345394

1163816984_l.jpg

[quote name='vgmben']Most people don't post until they are finished and completed their CAG mission. Sorry if i'm a little more advanced CAG'er[/quote]
This is turning into borderline flamebaiting. You keep egging things on with this magical gold crapping monkey. You're demanding help while refusing to help in return.

If you have nothing to contribute, please don't post anymore. And when you do, please use the EDIT button instead of making 3-4 consecutive posts.

Everyone, knock it off. Let's get this thread back on topic. If vg wants to take his ball and go home, let him. We have plenty of others to play with.

LOL just because I don't post crap here doesn't mean I'm not helpful
I've posted a ton of stuff and just haven't gotten credit for it
and by the time I actually get the stuff you can check my feedback all you want
then again would you have wasted a trip to BB because I told you what game it was? Then have you yell at me on your wasted trip. I think not.

and what part of I will eventually share the info after I'm done dang!!!!

I think this all needs to stop, yes I saw his myspace page to but chose not to post only to come back here and see that DJKunai had done just that.

So I suggest that everyone just ignore his posts. If he doesn't want to help us out there is nothing we can do but ignore him. But I think posting a link to his myspace along with his picture is too much.

Well, he bought 4 copies of GTA San Andreas for Xbox. Wiki lists that as $7 as of 7/11/2006. I don't know if M vs. AO makes a difference. I don't know why I even bother checking this thread, there aren't any GameRushes near me, and I haven't found a BlockBuster that wasn't absolutely pathetic regarding games.

well thats good to know that you figure out the game but who wants to go waste time on a chance that it was just the store I go to. and checking my myspace is funny. Talk about harrassment.

I understand mods wanting to keep it clean, but I think my post that was deleted ought to be allowed. For one thing, it stated the game that may be worth a good trade-in value, and I feel it also raised a valid question as to whether the different versions of the game trade for different values (which might explain why the wiki has a much lower value listed for the game). I will not repost the information without a mod's approval, but I do ask that whomever it was who deleted my post please reconsider.

Thank you.

traded in yesterday

Skate (360) - $35
Test Drive Unlimited (360) - $12
Darkness (360) - $32
Hour of Victory (360) - $32

My local walmart has a bunch of different Wii 2-packs. Unfortunately they are 29.99. No profit to be made there! Good for you at $17 though!

[quote name='eraser813']My local walmart has a bunch of different Wii 2-packs. Unfortunately they are 29.99. No profit to be made there! Good for you at $17 though![/quote]

Same here. I will double check tomorrow at some point since I just Tom Glancy'd it today.

[quote name='guessed']Well, he bought 4 copies of GTA San Andreas for Xbox. Wiki lists that as $7 as of 7/11/2006. I don't know if M vs. AO makes a difference. I don't know why I even bother checking this thread, there aren't any GameRushes near me, and I haven't found a BlockBuster that wasn't absolutely pathetic regarding games.[/quote]The M vs AO is a good theory. I have an AO PS2 version which I can have them scan out of curiosity when I do some trades this week. Wait, I thought the Hot Coffee thing happened before the Xbox version came out and that there was no AO xbox version.

[quote name='jdawgg76']The M vs AO is a good theory. I have an AO PS2 version which I can have them scan out of curiosity when I do some trades this week. Wait, I thought the Hot Coffee thing happened before the Xbox version came out and that there was no AO xbox version.[/QUOTE]

There definetely was an Xbox AO version (it came out the same time as the PC version). The whole Hot Coffee controversy happened pretty soon afterwards though, so it's much harder to find.

jdawgg it did, the reason I got so much for it was because they didn't have it availble to rent so the copy i gave them will be that copy that will be rented. hence why they gave me 30$ in trade for it. all they have to do is rent it 4 times and they get their money back. I doubt I'll get 30 again but who knows. and even then with GTA 4 coming out soon you know people are gonna want the old GTA's just like when halo 3 came out, everyone wanted the old ones again.

If things don't work out I plan to sell them via craigslist or ebay or local stores other then gameestop

[quote name='CaptPete']There definetely was an Xbox AO version (it came out the same time as the PC version). The whole Hot Coffee controversy happened pretty soon afterwards though, so it's much harder to find.[/quote]

Then again... how hard would it be to print out that certan said cover for certain said game? Not very, I'll bet... :applause:

[quote name='djkunai']Then again... how hard would it be to print out that certan said cover for certain said game? Not very, I'll bet... :applause:[/quote]Devious:cool: Funny thing is I just got my AO copy a couple months ago at KMart when I noticed it had been put in a pile of clearance games because the barcode wouldn't ring up. Knew what it was right away even though I couldn't believe a game pulled from shelves years ago still had multiple copies sitting around at KMart. Figures.

By the way, thanks to those who posted about 360 accessory availability around them, unfortunately the GRs around me just carry the 20gig HDs and not the 120s and none have ever had the HDDVD addons either. And of course, no racing wheels. But since some of you have seen these items I'll keep checking. I could use a second wireless controller and I have enough to get a PS3 to use for BluRay now that I've gone HD (and a few games now until their software gets rolling) but I think I want to try and find a 60GB for BC in case my PS2 croaks. I did find Contra 4 and Metroid Hunters used, but in absolutely mint condition. They also had Hulk:UD, but it had no manual. The guy actually went to look in the rental cases to see if they had a manual in them for me. That made me feel bad when I screamed JDawgghulk SMASH and jumped up and down on all of the Rockband boxes before I crashed through the window. Oh well.

Anyone know the closest GR to San Francisco?
I know there are some in Sacramento, but cant find any closer.

[quote name='DrNo888']Anyone know the closest GR to San Francisco?
I know there are some in Sacramento, but cant find any closer.[/QUOTE]

I was not aware there were any in Sacramento. I thought the closest was Fresno. I think you are out of luck for the Bay Area, anyway. But I will have to keep Sacramento in mind as that would then be the closest ones to me (still 100's of miles but occasionally I travel down there so I could make a stop).

Anyway, geez, guys, I spend all day on a plane and the thread goes to hell. Thanks for taking care of it sp00ge. BTW, I'm in DC now - another area with no damn Gamerush stores :bomb:

Eh things have been smooth for me with marvel forza packs ive traded in two of them till now im being told 'original cover art only' then if I have that im being told ' we dont take that game at all because it was free' .

Whats odd is it wasnt even the double pack version anyone else having this issue?

I dont see how they can sell copies of a game WITHOUT ORIGINAL COVERS and tell me they wont take mine cover or not.
I felt I had to ask because it was all three local locations not 1.

they had the best trade-in value for cash when i traded in my DS and it was very easy to do business with them. but most of them dont know much about the games their selling.

Just found something interesting for those with tons of BB/GR credit.

Feast your eyes
(http://ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8509)

"So has anyone else heard anything about the "Rock the Block" stores they are openning in Dallas? I hear one of them is going to sell home theater systems, have demo's set up etc. Others will have a lounge where you can get milk shakes and coffee"

The discussion itself isn't all that important, but it appears that BB/GR is attempting to enter the electronics business. Looks like it's limited to test stores at the moment, but it still looks promising. Everything is going to be overpriced, but when you're accumulating BB/GR credit for half or a third, does it really need to be cheap?

[quote name='edavis0780']Just found something interesting for those with tons of BB/GR credit.

Feast your eyes
(http://ihateblockbuster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8509)

"So has anyone else heard anything about the "Rock the Block" stores they are openning in Dallas? I hear one of them is going to sell home theater systems, have demo's set up etc. Others will have a lounge where you can get milk shakes and coffee"[/quote] No but I drink your milkshake! I drink it!

Does it matter if the games are brand new and sealed -- or should I open them up before attempting a trade-in? May seem like an odd question, but we have a used game/cd store around here that looks at you funny if you try to trade in a sealed game.

[quote name='kingtide']Does it matter if the games are brand new and sealed -- or should I open them up before attempting a trade-in? May seem like an odd question, but we have a used game/cd store around here that looks at you funny if you try to trade in a sealed game.[/quote]

They should look at you funny. Gamestop is nothing more than a Pawn Shop in the eyes of the government and are treated under the same laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back