The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Ok just a heads up cuz no one answer my question about the 24.99 Virtua Fighter 5...Its for the PS3 used...the 360 version is still 54.99...Just incase anyone else was wondering about it...

[quote name='rcaido']Ok just a heads up cuz no one answer my question about the 24.99 Virtua Fighter 5...Its for the PS3 used...the 360 version is still 54.99...Just incase anyone else was wondering about it...[/quote]

I thought that was MSRP? Lame of the design team to cut internet play because of the quick response time needed to have an accurate fight- if it was that important, people wouldn't have played online by choice, not force.

How do you guys get all the games for the flips? Go there every other day? I was at CC, Best Buy, and Sears yesterday but I got nothing. Of course, it might've been that I went late Saturday and it was cleaned out...

[quote name='djkunai']Your store does the $5 bonus! Which store was this?[/quote]

I just realized that's what it was, and came back here to edit my post! The store was on 1st/Bullard in Fresno, CA. So I guess as far as the Wiki is concerned, subtract $5 from all the ones I listed! Sorry bout that Wiki updaters.

No offense, but I bought those at GS for the purpose of flipping at BB. The only way I will take it to GS is if I am returning them.

I will go to Staples and print them out tomorrow. And then off to BB.

Thanks for the info guys. Any other special instructions for the covers other than color print for like 0.25 each?

[quote name='jiggyteddy']No offense, but I bought those at GS for the purpose of flipping at BB. The only way I will take it to GS is if I am returning them.

I will go to Staples and print them out tomorrow. And then off to BB.

Thanks for the info guys. Any other special instructions for the covers other than color print for like 0.25 each?[/quote]

I would just make sure to trade them in tomorrow, since BB updates trade in prices on tuesdays. Some of the games are sure to drop, with my bet being forza/mua since so many have been traded in already.

agreed. thanks irish, you were very helpful.

love this thread because there is lots of great information and helpful of course.

there are 2 BB near me... but only one of them accept trades right now. the other one doesn't have their trading license yet. unfortunately because i think that one has cooler employees.

Went on a BB run today and at one of my six locations I was informed that there was a block on my account, the store manager wants to speak with me personally about it, and that she will be available from 10-4 tomorrow. Traded in one (two) too many copies of mua/forza 2 I suppose. Never at the same time of course, but a few over the course of 3 weeks got their attention. Ah well. I can't talk to the manager tomorrow since I'm at work and frankly, I'd rather just go to my other 5 locations rather than explain to the person how I've been using her store for monetary gain.

[quote name='kevlar51']Went on a BB run today and at one of my six locations I was informed that there was a block on my account, the store manager wants to speak with me personally about it, and that she will be available from 10-4 tomorrow. Traded in one (two) too many copies of mua/forza 2 I suppose. Never at the same time of course, but a few over the course of 3 weeks got their attention. Ah well. I can't talk to the manager tomorrow since I'm at work and frankly, I'd rather just go to my other 5 locations rather than explain to the person how I've been using her store for monetary gain.[/QUOTE]

So wait, you were only banned at one store or was it a universal ban? My gf was banned from one store, but we figured it was for all the stores and haven't tried it again since.

hey kevlar, do you think all the BBs are linked?

i tried to trade in 2 more darness, but they said i already traded 2 in and that was the limit. would i be able to trade them to a different location?

Anything going on with the PSP coupon from GS this week? 35% off w/edge seems like it could be nice. Wiki doesn't have anything really for psp trades though.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Hmm... 25% coupon? In that case you'll get 33.25% off.[/QUOTE]

Actually, with GS the edge card stacks. So it really is 35% off.

Yup on a giftcard, well i suppose its not called a giftcard I always get my credit on 'value card' that can be used at all BB/GRs. Sorry to hear about them dropping the banhammer on you. Im gonna take it easy for the next week or so, to avoid suspicion.

I get giftcards for all my trades. Got three cards: $32, $59, and $33. Maybe I should do store credit and just buy a big gift card when I get to $400 or something since there are no GR around here. I can send the GC to my sister and have her buy a PS3 in her city.

[quote name='DrNo888']I get giftcards for all my trades. Got three cards: $32, $59, and $33. Maybe I should do store credit and just buy a big gift card when I get to $400 or something since there are no GR around here. I can send the GC to my sister and have her buy a PS3 in her city.[/quote]

You'd be better off getting the individual giftcards. I know my local BBV won't let you transfer store credit to a gift card after the trade is complete. I'm sure it's YMMV, though.

Just traded in for about $800 in credit, and converted $150 into cash with the California giftcard law. I have another $350 left to convert.

so you guys say that i can trade to a different BB?

i also keep the credit on the account... that credit should be transferable even though i don't put it on the value card right?

[quote name='jiggyteddy']so you guys say that i can trade to a different BB?

i also keep the credit on the account... that credit should be transferable even though i don't put it on the value card right?[/quote]

Yeah, you can trade to more than one BB, and the credit won't be available at any other store. You've got to put it on either a gift card or value card.

[quote name='djkunai']Just traded in for about $800 in credit, and converted $150 into cash with the California giftcard law. I have another $350 left to convert.[/quote]

Well played, you sir are one ballsy SOB...or should i say CAG :applause:
I get nervous double dippin at the same store.

[quote name='rcaido']Tried trading in Forza2/MUA but they wouldn't accept without covers...Oh Test Drive Unlimited 360 goes for only $12...[/quote]

For the tenth time, print out the covers, cut them to fit in the boxes trade in. Might want to do it before tuesday though.

Yeah i know, i just wanted to try without having to print them out...Not only am i cheapassgamer, i'm also lazyass too...

Actually the dude was going to do it then the manager was like no we need the whole cover...

As for the printing does matter what kind of paper to use?

Anyone know if BB/GR is going to have the special edition of GTAIV? I have it pre-ordered at GS, but I can convert my remaining GS credit (and double it) into BB/GR credit if they are going to get the special edition as well.

Call your local stores and ask. I know for Halo 3, my local store could get me any edition I wanted.

[quote name='edavis0780']Anyone know if BB/GR is going to have the special edition of GTAIV? I have it pre-ordered at GS, but I can convert my remaining GS credit (and double it) into BB/GR credit if they are going to get the special edition as well.[/quote]

[quote name='edavis0780']Anyone know if BB/GR is going to have the special edition of GTAIV? I have it pre-ordered at GS, but I can convert my remaining GS credit (and double it) into BB/GR credit if they are going to get the special edition as well.[/quote]

It's hit or miss. The biggest problem with BB is they rarely get new releases in on release day. GR I dunno, as I've never even been in one before.

GTA IV is the one game where I have no qualms at all spending full price on. I cannot wait for it and will be there with bells on at a midnight sale.

ya i pre-ordered DMC4 Limited Edition so we'll have to see if it comes in or not...I asked the lady working there if it would come in and her response was "Well...it's never failed in the past"..*rolls eyes* so I'll report if it does indeed come in on release day (Feb 5th...i think)

[quote name='rcaido']Tried trading in Forza2/MUA but they wouldn't accept without covers...Oh Test Drive Unlimited 360 goes for only $12...[/QUOTE]

TDU still gets $12? I'm surprised. I thought I remember seeing them selling it for $14.99 used. I may have to trade it in since I'm not playing it much (and now have the open road style with Burnout Paradise).

[quote name='djkunai']Just traded in for about $800 in credit, and converted $150 into cash with the California giftcard law. I have another $350 left to convert.[/QUOTE]

How come you don't update your trade in list anymore?

Have you guys tried printing using an inkjet printer at home for the Forza/MUA? We got snow last night & roads are terrible...Dont want to make a drive if i dont have too...

Also i went to check my balance on one of my cards & seems a lot of my credit is missing? I should have close to $200+ but they are saying i only have $119? Is there anything i can do about this?

[quote name='slavefive']why are they demanding covers? They sell games without covers, so where do they get off demanding them?

I'm a lazyassgamer, too.[/QUOTE]

Corporately, I can see a number of reasons why they would require covers:

• The barcode would help the transaction go by quickly and efficiently overall.
  • It would discourage the trading in of stolen games (it's pretty easy to steal the disc from a game in a mega store like walmart or target).
  • Better for the resale of the traded-in game (when you're at GS/EB don't you usually go for the game with the original cover instead of the generic cover with those cartoon characters on them?)

i gotta go print covers for mua/forza as well. i understand why they want them, but it just ticks me off that they are selling them without the cover as well.

any one know the correct measurements for the prints?

[quote name='pogipinoy27']How come you don't update your trade in list anymore?[/quote]

I'm out bouning around too much to update- I normally post from my phone and wiki is a pain to edit on my phone.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']i gotta go print covers for mua/forza as well. i understand why they want them, but it just ticks me off that they are selling them without the cover as well.

any one know the correct measurements for the prints?[/quote]

When I printed the first one i clicked zoom to fit, which was too big, so printing the way the picture is set to be is the best. If your worried about cutting it out just bring a cover to another game u have and use that to cut your covers around.

Break between classes, time for my last flip before they turn back the values tomorrow :bomb:

sup everyone....
traded in some more games yesterday...
here are some prices:

Wii: Mario Super Strikers: $26
Wii: Rockstar Table Tennis: $23
PS3: Tiger Woods Golf 07: $16
PS3: The Bigs: $33

Hope this helps.

Stranglehold (360) still nets $28.50. I'm hoping that value holds for another week as I'm hoping to finish the game this week.

i hope The Bigs holds its value at $33 tomorrow, Im sitting on 4 of them but i dont have time to get them flipped today.
Wheres a good online rental place? I traded all my games but kept the ones i really love.

[quote name='clevelandmvp']I bought a 60gb today for $449, all store credit. I didnt get a free rental card with it though, is that only for the 80gb?[/QUOTE]

Yes, only the Blockbuster exclusive $599 80gb bundle includes the free rental card (plus a bunch of other crap).

Ok got back from staples, man its freaken .49 to make color copy...Cost me about 1.08...For some reason the print turn out a little bigger then the original? Will they still accept that?

Traded in some games today:

All 360 :360:

Monster Madness - $22
Bullet Witch - $15
Eragon - $12
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires - $19
The Outfit - $8
Two Worlds - $32

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back