The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='Brian9824']Honestly if they tried to ban me i'd tell them to either shut up and call the police or give me service. I'd seriously report them to the consumers general because they cannot accuse you of stealing and ban you from stores with no proof.[/QUOTE]

Let's clear a few things up here. No one actually ever directly accused me of stealing and trading in games. At the second store where they had the note about me trading games (other ones than the ones I had with me at the time) in to 3 stores, that was all they read back to me. I tried to press them a little more for an actual reason, since that didn't seem like enough. The store manager came out and I asked him why that was a problem. He just said it was the DM's decision and there was nothing he could do about it. When I mentioned the 2/day allowance in the trade agreement he just said they also have the right to change the terms at any time. At that point there wasn't much use arguing any further about it. I figured I would deal with the "better" store (I have no need to go back to the other one again, anyway). So today I called the manager of the "better" store - the note on my account there just said I needed to talk to her. So today she said she needed to talk to the DM to reopen my trade account. At that point I brought up the issue of whether they thought they were stolen and she said that was the issue. I said I have all the receipts and can fax them in if she wants. I saw no need to go ballistic on anyone as that would only make things worse. I am more interested in clearing this up more for my reputation than for any future desire to trade - because I think the stealing is implied in the messages to the stores (if not stated outright and they just didn't read that part to me). I don't want to go in there even if I am just renting and have that be read by the clerk. It is completely uncalled for whether implied or explicit, or even if it just says "trading is fishy".

rcaido, I'm not sure where you got that idea (not being able to use the value card) but as far as I know I'm still able to use my credit. I think someone else said one store told him they wouldn't let him buy anything there. I'm not sure if I'd want to, though, to be honest. They get credit for sales at their store (I remember the GR manager telling me they all got a bonus the month they had that big game clearance a few years ago because of the big increase in sales). If they don't lift this I'd want to go to stores in another district anyway and not let the jerkwads have my credit back. Or I'll just rely on CAG's to pick me up stuff at GR stores ;).

I do want to go in to a store where I don't have an account, though, and check the value of the gift card I had generated from one of my Beowulf trade-ins - just to be sure...

Io did you steal those games? I am accusing you...... Joking hope you get your ban lifted. :D

You don't need to be a member to use a gift card just walk in and use it. They'll sometimes ask if you have a card you want to use so they can link your purchases to your account for if you are buying a used game and don't want to save your receipt or something. Most of my purchases are non-member when you look at the receipt or something like that I don't have one in front of me right now.

I just priced matched at sears today for two monster madness! I put the old ad in the new one. One was pretty scratched up for some reason and BB wouldn't take it. That's karma for ya. Probably just go to another place tomorrow

[quote name='io']Let's clear a few things up here. No one actually ever accused me of stealing and trading in games. At the second store where they had the note about me trading games (other ones than the ones I had with me at the time) in to 3 stores, that was all they read back to me. I tried to press them a little more for an actual reason, since that didn't seem like enough. The store manager came out and I asked him why that was a problem. He just said it was the DM's decision and there was nothing he could do about it. When I mentioned the 2/day allowance in the trade agreement he just said they also have the right to change the terms at any time. At that point there wasn't much use arguing any further about it. I figured I would deal with the "better" store (I have no need to go back to the other one again, anyway). So today I called the manager of the "better" store - the note on my account there just said I needed to talk to her. So today she said she needed to talk to the DM to reopen my trade account. At that point I brought up the issue of whether they thought they were stolen and she said that was the issue. I said I have all the receipts and can fax them in if she wants. I saw no need to go ballistic on anyone as that would only make things worse. I am more interested in clearing this up more for my reputation than for any future desire to trade - because I think the stealing is implied in the messages to the stores (if not stated outright and they just didn't read that part to me). I don't want to go in there even if I am just renting and have that be read by the clerk. It is completely uncalled for whether implied or explicit, or even if it just says "trading is fishy".

rcaido, I'm not sure where you got that idea (not being able to use the value card) but as far as I know I'm still able to use my credit. I think someone else said one store told him they wouldn't let him buy anything there. I'm not sure if I'd want to, though, to be honest. They get credit for sales at their store (I remember the GR manager telling me they all got a bonus the month they had that big game clearance a few years ago because of the big increase in sales). If they don't lift this I'd want to go to stores in another district anyway and not let the jerkwads have my credit back. Or I'll just rely on CAG's to pick me up stuff at GR stores ;).

I do want to go in to a store where I don't have an account, though, and check the value of the gift card I had generated from one of my Beowulf trade-ins - just to be sure...[/quote]

io, I reread the trade agreement. It does say that Blockbuster may change terms at any time, including canceling the program. But the agreement seems to term the changes as changes to the overall program, not to specific individual traders

[quote name='paddlefoot']io, I reread the trade agreement. It does say that Blockbuster may change terms at any time, including canceling the program. But the agreement seems to term the changes as changes to the overall program, not to specific individual traders[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I was just re-reading it a few minutes ago and thought the same thing. Like, they could up and cancel all game trade-ins one day.

The only leeway they seem to have with individuals is part 5:

DVD and game software titles, game hardware platforms, and other products eligible for trade will be determined by Blockbuster in its sole discretion and many vary from store to store. Blockbuster may elect not to accept a particular title (including game software titles for a particular game platform) or an individual copy of a particular title, a brand of game hardware unit or any individual unit, or other product for any reason, including, without limitation, suitability of title for resale by Blockbuster, inventory needs, or the condition of any individual product or packaging.

To ME, that all implies they can reject any PARTICULAR trade for any reason. So not accepting GBA games, or anything from a particular list of games, etc, all falls under that clause. For example, if I had tried to bring in more Beowulf, they could reject it at their "sole discretion". I'm sure a manager wanting to use this to justify banning could say they "elected not to accept ANY title" from me, in particular - which is a pretty twisted way of reading that clause ;).

Then again it says "all trades are final" (section 8), but I had the GR manager "adjust" a trade I signed off on once (after the fact and without telling me) to reduce my credit by $15. So they don't follow their own damn rules anyway.

Happy dump day and merry xmas eve!

I'm up near Bakersfield for the next two days, and the only thing by here is a K-Mart without any clearanced games. No kunai'ing for me until Wednesday (for which I have a new plan to execute once I'm back in LA).

I also found out there is another GR two miles outside of my usual route, which was pretty well stocked (they had Uncharted which I couldn't find at any other store).

They have the right to refuse service to you at any time just like any business. It's YMMV on whether or not they refuse you service obviously. There is a huge difference between Kunai's BBV employees and IO's obviously.

Sucks to be targeted like that. Your best bet is to be as nice as possible, explain that you didn't understand that was a problem, promise you'll never do it again, yadda yadda yadda.

You can complain to the BBB or the Attorney General in your state, explaining the terms of the agreement, how you didn't violate them, and how you feel you are being treated unfairly. I have had success before complaining to the Attorney General about Buy.com.

gamefly has darkness 360 for $12.99 shipped. Hopefully tomorrow it stays the same price. Only thing that sucks is that even if it holds up value tomorrow, who knows if you'll even be receiving it by next tuesday.

Anyone seen GRs that have the 40gb PS3s? Every single store I called tried to upsell me on the 80gb bundle for $18 billion dollars. Okay, more like $600 but you get my point.

[quote name='JDMxB']Anyone seen GRs that have the 40gb PS3s? Every single store I called tried to upsell me on the 80gb bundle for $18 billion dollars. Okay, more like $600 but you get my point.[/QUOTE]
I've called 2 GRs near me and they said they had it in their system, but have no idea if/when they would be getting any. Also, both GRs are selling the 80GB Motostorm bundle ($499), not the BB Bundle for $599

Is GameRush open on Christmas day, and has anyone seen a Wii there lately?

Are they even still getting Wiis in stock?

[quote name='Bezerker']gamefly has darkness 360 for $12.99 shipped. Hopefully tomorrow it stays the same price. Only thing that sucks is that even if it holds up value tomorrow, who knows if you'll even be receiving it by next tuesday.[/quote]

Hopefully the Two Worlds TIV holds up as well, only $9.99!

[quote name='aoLat']Is GameRush open on Christmas day, and has anyone seen a Wii there lately?

Are they even still getting Wiis in stock?[/quote]

I asked the guy at my GR store if they had any Wii's (I figured that would be the best way to convert my GR credit and gift cards into cash). He told me they were expecting to get 11 the previous Tuesday but only got 3. Seems they're trickling in very slowly there.

Yes, Wii's still show up at GameRush. I know my store gets about 3 at a time it seems.

Anyone know what Madden 08 (360) gets these days? Forza 2 also?

Thanks! Merry Christmas!

Still no luck on DS Lite's at my BB. I did manage to snag the last Guitar Hero 3 wii bundle.

I just tried listing on Amazon, and it's telling me it's a pre-approved seller item... wtf??

Anyone want to trade for the 360 version?

Forza 2 also?

Forza dropped to $34.99 Used purchase price, so I'm fairly certain it's no longer $32 like last week.

[quote name='sp00ge']Still no luck on DS Lite's at my BB. I did manage to snag the last Guitar Hero 3 wii bundle.

I just tried listing on Amazon, and it's telling me it's a pre-approved seller item... wtf??

Forza dropped to $34.99 Used purchase price, so I'm fairly certain it's no longer $32 like last week.[/quote]
Yeah to sell the hottest items on Amazon you had to sign up as a preferred seller or something like that. I'm not sure when the had the sign ups or what you had to do to qualify.

EDIT: I need to see if my GR has GH III for the Wii. Seems like a good option for converting my credit into cash.

[quote name='djkunai']Two Worlds - $32
Darkness - $32[/QUOTE]
Which stores do you usually usually trade at? I want to know if I'll have any success trading in anything of value at my local stores after hearing of your exploits.

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah to sell the hottest items on Amazon you had to sign up as a preferred seller or something like that. I'm not sure when the had the sign ups or what you had to do to qualify.

EDIT: I need to see if my GR has GH III for the Wii. Seems like a good option for converting my credit into cash.[/quote]

It seems the the demand has tanked. They're ended at about $112 on ebay now, so after fees and such, you'd be cutting it close. But I suppose, if you just want to break even, it may work out then.

[quote name='sp00ge']It seems the the demand has tanked. They're ended at about $112 on ebay now, so after fees and such, you'd be cutting it close. But I suppose, if you just want to break even, it may work out then.[/quote]

That's all I'm shooting for. I've got $300 in gift cards that I would like to convert to cash.

[quote name='sp00ge']Still no luck on DS Lite's at my BB. I did manage to snag the last Guitar Hero 3 wii bundle.

Forza dropped to $34.99 Used purchase price, so I'm fairly certain it's no longer $32 like last week.[/quote]

sp00ge,

I live in the Dauphin/Lancaster/York County Area. I have only seen DS Lites at one store so far. That store actually had them transferred there from another store. So, hopefully they are coming, its just a little slow in PA.

Just got back from grabbing the last 60gig PS3 in my area (SoCal)

Thank goodness for Monster Madness, my personal GOTY. haha!

[quote name='JDMxB']Just got back from grabbing the last 60gig PS3 in my area (SoCal)

Thank goodness for Monster Madness, my personal GOTY. haha![/quote]

Which BB did you get it from?

Covina location, off of Grand Ave.

There may be more out there, but this was the closest in my general vicinity. I still haven't found a GR that carries the 40gb yet.

[quote name='djkunai']Two Worlds - $32
Darkness - $32[/QUOTE]

My kunai sense is tingling. Anyone know what Vampire Rain gets? (Its also 9.99 at Gamefly).

Spiderman 3 (X360) got me $19 at GR a couple of weeks ago, thats also 9.99 at Gamefly if you need something else to kunai with.

If any of you east coasters could possibly check these TIVs, I would gladly appreciate it;

Hour of Victory (360)
Happy Feet (Wii)

Thanks again, and Happy Kunaiing.

Well I just placed my order for 24 copies of Two Worlds through GameFly.

($32 + $5 bonus) x 24 = $888 credit (from $259.44)

I hope I'm home when the mail lady brings me 24 individual packages. :D

[quote name='djkunai']Well I just placed my order for 24 copies of Two Worlds through GameFly.

I hope I'm home when the mail lady brings me 24 individual packages. :D[/quote]

I would love to see proof of that crazy order confirmation!!!!:drool:

I only ordered one Two Worlds cause I'm afraid I won't receive the damn games before next Tuesday. Of course the trade-in value probably won't change :)

whats the best way to turn bb credit into cash?

Also, do you guys really think that BB will carry ipods and such?
Thanks to you guys, i have over $600 in credit from about $90!!:applause:

[quote name='stojko23']whats the best way to turn bb credit into cash?

Also, do you guys really think that BB will carry ipods and such?
Thanks to you guys, i have over $600 in credit from about $90!!:applause:[/QUOTE]

iPods? No. Unless you can get a Amazon gift card. Turning $600 credit into cash...be creative. I bought a disc only of Firefighter F.D. 18 for $4.99 at BB the other day.

[quote name='djkunai']Well I just placed my order for 24 copies of Two Worlds through GameFly.

I hope I'm home when the mail lady brings me 24 individual packages. :D[/QUOTE]

#-o

Why is that no one has checked Monster Madness? You know, some of us were only able to get rid of a few copies and still have some left because we have to be VERY careful how we trade them in ;) (and can't dump 4 or 5 at once, let alone 24 of them).

And no, I ain't calling because I don't need any of those people to have any more reason to ban me. So I'd appreciate someone checking for me! I may try another Gamecrazy price match if it is still holding.

As for my "issue", I'm waiting to hear back from the one store or DM - no word on anything yet...

[quote name='io']#-o

Why is that no one has checked Monster Madness? You know, some of us were only able to get rid of a few copies and still have some left because we have to be VERY careful how we trade them in ;) (and can't dump 4 or 5 at once, let alone 24 of them).

.[/QUOTE]

I've got a Monster Madness that I haven't taken in yet...I won't be able to get to GR till the weekend though, but I'll report on the price then, if nobody else does in the meantime.

I also got Two Worlds from GF but just 1 lol.

No good B2G1 free deals? I couldn't find any Hour of Victory's which was as far as I could tell was the best flip netting $7. I suppose Darkness new for 20 is pretty solid but didn't see any of those either.

[quote name='io']#-o

And no, I ain't calling because I don't need any of those people to have any more reason to ban me. So I'd appreciate someone checking for me! I may try another Gamecrazy price match if it is still holding.

As for my "issue", I'm waiting to hear back from the one store or DM - no word on anything yet...[/quote]I have two copies that I have to judiciously spread as well and am curious about this, too. I'll call in a little while and post what they say.

[quote name='io']#-o

As for my "issue", I'm waiting to hear back from the one store or DM - no word on anything yet...[/QUOTE]
[quote name='dinovelvet']I've got a Monster Madness that I haven't taken in yet...I won't be able to get to GR till the weekend though, but I'll report on the price then, if nobody else does in the meantime.[/QUOTE][quote name='jdawgg76']I have two copies that I have to judiciously spread as well and am curious about this, too. I'll call in a little while and post what they say.[/QUOTE]

I finished trading in a couple copies today and Monster Madness is still $28.50.

[quote name='x_fiddle']I finished trading in a couple copies today and Monster Madness is still $28.50.[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks! I'm probably going to try another GC then and not even bother with Blockbuster, though there may be a store where I can trade it if I feel like pushing it ;).

[quote name='io']Nice, thanks! I'm probably going to try another GC then and not even bother with Blockbuster, though there may be a store where I can trade it if I feel like pushing it ;).[/quote]

dont live in fear, then the terrorists win

[quote name='monkeydeew']dont live in fear, then the terrorists win[/quote]

It's true. I don't live in fear and I'm always ftw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back