The one and only CAG Super Smash Brothers Brawl Tournament! Beef vs. JoeB, FINALS!!!!

[quote name='dyeknom']Oh you say that NOW, joe. I distinctly remember a time where this was hardly the case in getting matching colors :)[/quote]

lol. I remember that - that was hilarious.

Also, I like losing early. It allows me to check the forum.

Great looking matches, Beef and Joe.

I am all for a Team tourney, even if they turn out to be lag-fests.

The four that are paired up for each fight should decide amonst themselves which has the best connection, and just host accordingly.

If we do a tag tourney i have a few suggestions
1. Strell I think you should teamup with someone who dies in 30 secs just to make it legal. You know like I do all the time.
2. BlueLobster's team color should always be red.

Team rosters of 4 would be another interesting idea. Swapping out members for 2v2 matches would add more variety and people would more likely be more available if other members aren't available. That way Joe can get his wish of that mini clan he always wanted ;) You know you'd want the team to be call: Go Joe!

[quote name='Mad D']Team rosters of 4 would be another interesting idea. Swapping out members for 2v2 matches would add more variety and people would more likely be more available if other members aren't available. That way Joe can get his wish of that mini clan he always wanted ;) You know you'd want the team to be call: Go Joe![/quote]
I like that idea. Would make for interesting matchups. I mean we all knew Joe was gonna gonna use dedede, but in this case you wouldn't even know if joe was gonna play or not.
Allthough a Legend of Zelda/all mario team would be neat.

[quote name='Mad D']Team rosters of 4 would be another interesting idea. Swapping out members for 2v2 matches would add more variety and people would more likely be more available if other members aren't available. That way Joe can get his wish of that mini clan he always wanted ;) You know you'd want the team to be call: Go Joe![/quote]

Best idea! Let's totally do that! I wouldn't want it to be called "Go Joe" (read: yes I would), but, hey, I want some team action!

I mean, it doesn't even have to be team rosters of four. It could be teams of anywhere from 2 to 4! I'm all for this!

EDIT: Also, I'm all for the idea of co-coordinators. So, Strell, Blue, you're free to hop on board and take all the credit help out with things. :lol:

[quote name='UltimoRey']2. BlueLobster's team color should always be red.[/QUOTE]

Damn it. Last thing I wanted to be was a red lobster. I'll have to change my name to "red" and everything.

Or we could do 4 player crews where everyone on each team plays a round robin with the other team and they tally up the wins and losses. Or we could do a crazy items tournament with everything on high. Or we could do like 4v4 crew battles where there are 2 1v1s and one 2v2 and the team that wins the matches moves on to the next round!

Don't take me seriously, but there's a lot of cool ideas we could do with tons of participation. I do like the idea Mad D came up with a lot, though.

[quote name='zitanix']I do like the idea Mad D came up with a lot, though.[/QUOTE]

We know why Mad D wants 4-man clan teams. He wants to have a winning chance w/ JoeB.
And so do I

Anyways, whoever I'm tag teaming with, I will make a promise. We will get far with the master of destruction, Ike, b/c opponents will be flying!

I guarantee it.

[quote name='evergoo']We know why Mad D wants 4-man clan teams. He wants to have a winning chance w/ JoeB.
And so do I

Anyways, whoever I'm tag teaming with, I will make a promise. We will get far with the master of destruction, Ike b/c opponents will be flying! I guarantee it.[/quote]

Unless there's a team with, like, Beef, Arikado, Suko, and Drnick. Then no one has a winning chance. *cries*

Also, evergoo, help me determine seeds. Do you just assign it based on who lost to whom (in the positions where there is a tie)?

[quote name='zitanix']

Don't take me seriously, but there's a lot of cool ideas we could do with tons of participation. I do like the idea Mad D came up with a lot, though.[/quote]
The NBA playoffs inspired this, that and watching wrestling in middle school. Maybe we can create gimmicky rosters signatures like the nWo, Dx, Raven's flock, The Corporation, The Nation, etc.

[quote name='Mad D']The NBA playoffs inspired this, that and watching wrestling in middle school. Maybe we can create gimmicky rosters signatures like the nWo, Dx, Raven's flock, The Corporation, The Nation, etc.[/QUOTE]

I wanna be Mr. Ass.

Taken out of context what you just said was hilarious, Arikado. I tempted to put that in my sig.

[quote name='JoeB1233']Unless there's a team with, like, Beef, Arikado, Suko, and Drnick. Then no one has a winning chance. *cries*

[/quote]
Yeah haven't played Dr Nick or Beef yet but seeing how they were in the final 4... team captains?

How would you make it fair?

People haven't exactly been sitting around doing nothing while the tournament has been going on.

Just pick whatever teams you want if you're going to do a team thing.

Or, make the teams completely random.

[quote name='JoeB1233']Unless there's a team with, like, Beef, Arikado, Suko, and Drnick. Then no one has a winning chance. *cries*[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there. *cries*

[quote name='JoeB1233']Also, evergoo, help me determine seeds. Do you just assign it based on who lost to whom (in the positions where there is a tie)? [/QUOTE]

I don't mind helping you coordinate, JoeB, with the seeds and brackets for the next tourney. As long as someone posts the winners in the OP (that means you!), this shouldn't be any problem for me.

I'll post the finalized places for this tourney in my next post (I begun a long time ago after I was eliminated). Ties should be awarded based on round placement, except for me who is the sole 5th place winner (j/k).

Oh, sure, I just meant, can you help me determine the seeding outcome from this tournament?

Anything beyond that is your charity. (Well, so is the first item, but...)

EDIT: Nevermind - reading comprehension is not my strong suit.

Feel free to post the final rankings and/or the final bracket in the OP, Mr. Beef.

1st: Mr. Beef
2nd: JoeB1233
t-3rd: aTOH, Drnick
t-5th: AmigoOne, evergoo, KhaosX, Strell
t-9th: bardiya27, dmunkee, dyeknom, kainzero, Riyonuk, seanr1221, Suko_32, zitanix
t-17th: Arikado, bigl523, BlueLobstah, Clarke, ChibiJosh, crystalklear64, decrot, maigoyume, naes, sleepy180, Sofa King Kool, UltimoRey, yoursisterispretty, ZerotypeX
t-31st: BustaBust, Pestilence (not sure since they went to 2nd Round via bye but lost there)
t-33rd: Everyone who lost in the 1st Round (too lazy to type)

EDIT: Names for tied rankings are ordered alphabetically.

I'm not hip to tournaments or even how sport events get set up, but a quick look at the wiki, and it seems to me like the swiss system or some sort of points system would be best.

you know what would be cool, in my opinion, would be a davis cup type of smash brothers (anyone who knows tennis knows about this system). it usually is 3 singles players, and two doubles players, and best of 3 of those matches would win (i guess it could work for 1 singles player, and 2 doubles players too to make teams only 5 person each).

but considering we have alot of smash players, teams of 7 could work too.

criticisms, etc. for this system is appreciated.

[quote name='Mad D']The NBA playoffs inspired this, that and watching wrestling in middle school. Maybe we can create gimmicky rosters signatures like the nWo, Dx, Raven's flock, The Corporation, The Nation, etc.[/quote]
Woohoo LWO shall rise agian. Viva La Raza!

Don't know about Davis cup, but it its like round robin or the swiss system in which no one gets eliminated, that'd be cool.

And for those who don't know what the swiss system is, basically you choose a certain number of rounds you want to play, then if you win a round you get 1 point, if you tie a round you get .5 points, and if you lose you get 0 points. After the first round, you play people with the same number of points as yourself until the set number of rounds has been played.

At the end, whoever has the most points wins. Aside from the first round, this system filters the better players towards people of their skill level, and the not so great people play with people of their skill level. Plus, at the end everyone will have a point value which would give a much better idea of a player's skill level.

Since you play a set number of rounds, no one is ever eliminated, so everyone can play until the tournament's end with people who should be about their skill level.

[quote name='UltimoRey']Woohoo LWO shall rise agian. Viva La Raza![/quote]

Pepe is an honorary member of LWO. Unfortunately, he got thrown into a woodchipper.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Don't know about Davis cup, but it its like round robin or the swiss system in which no one gets eliminated, that'd be cool.

And for those who don't know what the swiss system is, basically you choose a certain number of rounds you want to play, then if you win a round you get 1 point, if you tie a round you get .5 points, and if you lose you get 0 points. After the first round, you play people with the same number of points as yourself until the set number of rounds has been played.

At the end, whoever has the most points wins. Aside from the first round, this system filters the better players towards people of their skill level, and the not so great people play with people of their skill level. Plus, at the end everyone will have a point value which would give a much better idea of a player's skill level.

Since you play a set number of rounds, no one is ever eliminated, so everyone can play until the tournament's end with people who should be about their skill level.[/quote]

That idea was sort of proposed already. The problem was that with a large number of participants, it would take forever to finish and not everyone has that kind of time.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Don't know about Davis cup, but it its like round robin or the swiss system in which no one gets eliminated, that'd be cool.

Since you play a set number of rounds, no one is ever eliminated, so everyone can play until the tournament's end with people who should be about their skill level.[/QUOTE]

I think I like that idea better if we opted to not base seeding on the results of the last tournament, and use this to determine the next tournament's seeding. This would allow a few weeks gap between the next tourney, in addition to giving everyone a chance to play a wide range of persons.

I'm still more inclined towards single elimination for a tourney since it's much easier to maintain.

Might as well make it a league with season standings that lead into playoff seedings.

side note: I'm on campus and will be home around 4 hope people will be on a for a little

Whatever we decide on, I'd just like to mention the following principle: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

The more technical the next tourney is, the harder it'll be for casuals and hardcore players alike to pull off a successful event.

Yup, keep it simple or you're going to end up with a lot of people missing their games or people who won't even participate because not everyone has the time to work their daily schedule around a video game tournament. :D

bread's done
Back