The OTT has an unhealthy relationship with ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='munch']Hahahaha. Sucks about the stds. The only thing that I thought was great was the quest with the three hooded guys.[/QUOTE]Oh yeah, that game board mission was great.

Some girl from Jersey Shore was at the bar I went to tonight. I never watched the show so I neither knew nor cared who she was. She was surrounded by homosexuals.

[quote name='Eviltude']Some girl from Jersey Shore was at the bar I went to tonight. I never watched the show so I neither knew nor cared who she was. She was surrounded by homosexuals.[/QUOTE]

The OTT should disown you for not punching her in the neck while you had the opportunity.

Anybody here change their profession late in life?

I am a about to be a PHD student in Econ and I am finding the work incredibly frustrating. It is starting to feel like one giant internet comment section with the entire world bending and abusing the laws of econ just to suit themselves.

I am thinking of going back into CS (I was technically a EE, but I enjoyed the CS aspects more). I havent spent a lot on the education as it was mostly paid for by scholarships, but now I am 25 and would basically have to start over. Any thoughts, advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I might need a 2gb 200-pin SO-DIMM DDR2 RAM chip... what's the best place to shop. Newegg had a few below $30... anywhere else I should check?[/QUOTE]

Try zipzoomfly.com. Its a great site as well.

Or order from Crucial direct.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Anybody here change their profession late in life?

I am a about to be a PHD student in Econ and I am finding the work incredibly frustrating. It is starting to feel like one giant internet comment section with the entire world bending and abusing the laws of econ just to suit themselves.

I am thinking of going back into CS (I was technically a EE, but I enjoyed the CS aspects more). I havent spent a lot on the education as it was mostly paid for by scholarships, but now I am 25 and would basically have to start over. Any thoughts, advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I went from being an accountant to a Mainframe Programmer at 28. I was one part away from my CPA after taking it for the first (and only time) when I realized I didnt want to do that the rest of my life.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Shut up about your profession. We're talking about my lack of a GC right now! Where the fuck is it!?[/QUOTE]

Lack of a
clear.gif
Game Cube?

Buy a Wii, it's BC. ;)

Anyone else try to watch "Perfect Couples" tonight? I watched it for Olivia Munn, but man.. it was bad. I couldn't even make it ten minutes in before deleting it off of my DVR.

[quote name='Number83']I went from being an accountant to a Mainframe Programmer at 28. I was one part away from my CPA after taking it for the first (and only time) when I realized I didnt want to do that the rest of my life.[/QUOTE]

Did you have to restart school or did you already have enough experience to just make the jump? Howd you make the transition?

FWIW- Check your email, I ordered my Amazon GC just before 2pm via Munch's link yesterday and it just came in.

I didn't apply to my amazon account via their click-through, I just copy-pasta'd it.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Did you have to restart school or did you already have enough experience to just make the jump? Howd you make the transition?[/QUOTE]

I had enough work experience to give my new employer a good feeling about my skills, but I actually went to a 11 month trade school after I quit my job for my programming languages. I got lucky too because the position was looking for someone with a finance background to do programming for thier needs. It was a perfect match at just the right time.

___

Morning, OTT!

Happy Friday...snow and all!

So T-Mobile just flat out stole Apple's "I'm a Mac" commercials? They weren't good in the first place. They can't come up with anything on their own?

[quote name='h3llbring3r']FWIW- Check your email, I ordered my Amazon GC just before 2pm via Munch's link yesterday and it just came in.

I didn't apply to my amazon account via their click-through, I just copy-pasta'd it.[/QUOTE]

I never actually got an e-mail. In fact, I'm pretty sure that none of my referrals counted toward this deal. I'm kind of pissed about that.

@Temp, log into your livingsocial account and see if it's there. I did use the check through and it worked great.

I really want one of these electric cars like the 2011 Volt. Since I am always on the road for work I could save a ton each year. I can write it off anyway but I would rather not spend it at all.

[quote name='Rocko']Matisyahu is coming to UF. Huh.[/QUOTE]

Go see him. He is great live.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I really want one of these electric cars like the 2011 Volt. Since I am always on the road for work I could save a ton each year. I can write it off anyway but I would rather not spend it at all.[/QUOTE]

The Volt isn't an electric it's a shitty hybrid.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I really want one of these electric cars like the 2011 Volt. Since I am always on the road for work I could save a ton each year. I can write it off anyway but I would rather not spend it at all.[/QUOTE]

Or you could just buy a gas efficient car for half the price, and the money you spend in gas wouldn't come close to the purchase of the volt.

Oh, I thought it being a hybrid was a given because full electric cars are still not really viable.

Whats wrong with hybrids? To be honest I havent looked into them fully yet, I just want to stop spending thousands of dollars on gas each year.

EDIT: You know, I just did a week long gig at the International Auto Show and didnt learn a thing while I was there. Probably should have paid more attention to the presentations. I do remember them saying tons of 35+ miles per gallon cars were coming out. I guess its time to stop being lazy and look everything up.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh, I thought it being a hybrid was a given because full electric cars are still not really viable.

Whats wrong with hybrids? To be honest I havent looked into them fully yet, I just want to stop spending thousands of dollars on gas each year.

EDIT: You know, I just did a week long gig at the International Auto Show and didnt learn a thing while I was there. Probably should have paid more attention to the presentations. I do remember them saying tons of 35+ miles per gallon cars were coming out. I guess its time to stop being lazy and look everything up.[/QUOTE]

My 98 Civic is still giving me 30mpg. We're just getting to the point where we're supposed to be excited about 35mpg? That's pathetic.

[quote name='Scorch']Anyone else try to watch "Perfect Couples" tonight? I watched it for Olivia Munn, but man.. it was bad. I couldn't even make it ten minutes in before deleting it off of my DVR.[/QUOTE]

That show is terrible. I can't wait for it to be canned so 30 Rock can come back on before 10.

I'm still looking to find 200 or so slim cd jewel cases for under $30. About $33 is the cheapest I see at amazon or other places.

Now that one kids at kindergarten and the other is at preschool you think I'd find something more prodcutive to do with my mornings than sleep.

I'll be glad when this OTT is over. The topic line is disturbing and emberassing.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh, I thought it being a hybrid was a given because full electric cars are still not really viable.

EDIT: You know, I just did a week long gig at the International Auto Show and didnt learn a thing while I was there. Probably should have paid more attention to the presentations. I do remember them saying tons of 35+ miles per gallon cars were coming out. I guess its time to stop being lazy and look everything up.[/QUOTE]

What kind of road traveling do you do? If it is long distance, you may want to just look at an efficient non-hybrid. Hybrids really gain their benefit in city driving, once you hit the highway, they rely on the gas engine. Since you pay a premium for a Hybrid or a car like the Volt you likely wont recoup the premium unless you do ridiculous amounts of city driving.

On the other hand, check your state tax laws. I almost picked up an electric motorcycle because the combined incentives in CA brought the price down about $5000 and put the electric bike into the range of normal gas bikes. You can also get benefits like HOV lane credentials, but be careful because those types of benefits are diminishing as more people buy hybrids.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']What kind of road traveling do you do? If it is long distance, you may want to just look at an efficient non-hybrid. Hybrids really gain their benefit in city driving, once you hit the highway, they rely on the gas engine. Since you pay a premium for a Hybrid or a car like the Volt you likely wont recoup the premium unless you do ridiculous amounts of city driving.

On the other hand, check your state tax laws. I almost picked up an electric motorcycle because the combined incentives in CA brought the price down about $5000 and put the electric bike into the range of normal gas bikes. You can also get benefits like HOV lane credentials, but be careful because those types of benefits are diminishing as more people buy hybrids.[/QUOTE]

Electric/Hybrids are obscenely expensive - like 40K. The extra $15K you spend for an electric/hybrid buys a lot of gas. Do you want to give money to the car companies, or the oil companies?

Matisyahu is coming to UF. Huh.

LoL. His name is pronounced like "Modest yahoo"

I drive everything that can be driven. Seriously. Being a freelancer I have to drive to the ends of the earth on Monday, depths of hell on Tuesday to Mt. Olympus on Friday. Tons of driving in every which way possible, the last time I looked at my log I average roughly 1k miles a week when I am slow and 2k in the summer when my gigs really start going.

I spend so much money on gas and if I can cut it in half or at least by 1/4 it would save me butt loads.

[quote name='flowery']Go see him. He is great live.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I've never heard a single thing from him but he always seemed like a joke to me. Is he actually good? It's free, I think, so I might as well.

Question for anyone that knows....

So my MOBO is fried, I'm looking at getting a MOBO on New Egg and the manufacturer listing for the one I'm looking at says the following:

*** When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

I currently have x4 1GB DDR2 sticks on my dead MOBO and I was hoping to update my system to 8GB DDR3 one this one. Does the above mean that there's no point in me adding more than 3GB of RAM if I'm running Win 7 32bit?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Question for anyone that knows....

So my MOBO is fried, I'm looking at getting a MOBO on New Egg and the manufacturer listing for the one I'm looking at says the following:

*** When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

I currently have x4 1GB DDR2 sticks on my dead MOBO and I was hoping to update my system to 8GB DDR3 one this one. Does the above mean that there's no point in me adding more than 3GB of RAM if I'm running Win 7 32bit?[/QUOTE]

That's entirely correct.
If your operating system is 32-bit, it can't address any memory past ~3.5gb.

If you put the 4 sticks back in and get windows 32-bit up and running, when you check your system properties, I think it will show about 3.28gb or so of RAM, definitely not the full 4gb.

[quote name='Rocko']Seriously? I've never heard a single thing from him but he always seemed like a joke to me. Is he actually good? It's free, I think, so I might as well.[/QUOTE]

He is actually pretty good. Hasidic reggae sounds like a silly combination, but the guy's in earnest, and he's pretty good at it.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']He is actually pretty good. Hasidic reggae sounds like a silly combination, but the guy's in earnest, and he's pretty good at it.[/QUOTE]

He had one reallly popular song back in about '05 or '06 that I can't remember/recognize for the life of me at the moment...

[quote name='Soodmeg']The live at stubbs one is much better.

[/QUOTE]

I actually do like that one better. In fact, that whole Live at Stubbs album is quite good. To be honest, I had not heard the studio version prior to looking it up just now.

[quote name='Rocko']Seriously? I've never heard a single thing from him but he always seemed like a joke to me. Is he actually good? It's free, I think, so I might as well.[/QUOTE]

I understand people knock him and all but I like him and the music. He really gets into the show and its fun. For free it's worth the time...smoking up before wouldn't hurt either.

The Live at Stubb's is a great play through.

More examples:

[quote name='corrosivefrost']That's entirely correct.
If your operating system is 32-bit, it can't address any memory past ~3.5gb.

If you put the 4 sticks back in and get windows 32-bit up and running, when you check your system properties, I think it will show about 3.28gb or so of RAM, definitely not the full 4gb.[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Thanks for the quick response.

I beat Costume Quest in one sitting, almost. Good gamey game gaaame.

The
French Fry
costume is da bes', mang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back