The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

[quote name='LilPaintballer']Not quite, you can carry over personas and other stuff but i dont think you start from the same place you saved at[/quote]

Correct, you can start a new game with your save but that's it. Believe me, I wish I could have just switched over mid-play. Still not ideal, but it would have been something.

[quote name='Vegan']"Real" ending? Dammit. I'm not playing FES because I'm almost done with original release. I'm spending all this time and I'm not even getting the real ending?[/QUOTE]
Don't listen to him.

I thought you can use a Persona 3 save and jump right to The Answer in FES

In FES from the main menu you can select either "The Journey" or "The Answer" -- "The Answer" being the extra ~30 hours of dungeon crawling that's supposed to elaborate on the ending. When I started The Journey, I was asked if I had a Persona 3 save to import or if I wanted to start over. I haven't tried The Answer, but I had the option of going straight to it.

Yeah I managed to beat Persona 3 after many hours of fighting the final boss. It was just a matter of being defensive and throwing in a tiny bit of luck. So I'm in FES now... story looks interesting, dungeon crawling not so much as before.

So far the Answer seems to be a lot of grinding and not much story. I'm not sure I like where this is going. I'll still play it though just to find out more about what happens after that depressing as fuck ending. RPGs with 100+ hours should not have sad endings like that. I thought I was about to start crying after I beat the Journey.
I never got to date 'Maya' and rub it in Kenji's face.

[quote name='Vegan']You will hate the music by the end of it. 160 hours and counting... I've probably heard the P3 music more than any album I own.[/QUOTE]

I hated the music almost instantly, it's sooo repetitive. I only got about 5 hours in and there were times when I was anxious to go to a different area of the city just for a change of music.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeah I managed to beat Persona 3 after many hours of fighting the final boss. It was just a matter of being defensive and throwing in a tiny bit of luck. So I'm in FES now... story looks interesting, dungeon crawling not so much as before.[/quote]
lol it takes hours to beat the boss??

[quote name='GuruuShah']lol it takes hours to beat the boss??[/QUOTE]

Depends on your level. I tried it the first time at around I believe level 70. I spent an hour fighting her and died due to a cheap abilty she has that caught me off guard where she puts up a shield that reflects all damage back at you. Tried a second time and died after about an hour and doing ALOT better because of a second abilty she has that hit me for more then half my life and charmed charcters(she also gets 2 attacks per round). I went and leveled up and tried again at around level 77-80 and I beat her without a problem in under an hour.

The overall thing is that people don't want to buy a separate game to finish the game that they have already started which is not truly a sequel.

You can play the Answer at any time. I had the original P3 and beat it and when I bought FES I went straight to the Answer. It does not require a save file or anything. A finished game save file from The Journey will only enable New Game+ for a second runthrough of The Journey which will give you all your persona's and also let you keep your charm/courage/etc. which is helpful because now you don't have to do karaoke or study at night.

[quote name='GuruuShah']Damn i have to get to level freaking 80 just to beat the boss shit[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure I was just a few under 80. Also you CAN beat her below that, its just very difficult since she was able to hit me for half my life at that point.

[quote name='bigl523']You can play the Answer at any time. I had the original P3 and beat it and when I bought FES I went straight to the Answer. It does not require a save file or anything. A finished game save file from The Journey will only enable New Game+ for a second runthrough of The Journey which will give you all your persona's and also let you keep your charm/courage/etc. which is helpful because now you don't have to do karaoke or study at night.[/quote]

Do you think a second playthrough of The Journey would be pretty quick since your Persona would be bad-ass and could tear through everything?

It won't really give you all your Persona. You can buy all your old Persona, but the really good ones are going to be too expensive for you to get at the beginning.

[quote name='Vegan']Do you think a second playthrough of The Journey would be pretty quick since your Persona would be bad-ass and could tear through everything?[/quote]

It'll be quicker in the sense that you don't have to level up charm/courage/etc but the poster above is right, you are going to be dead broke and won't be able to afford your badass personae.

Just a few days away until the final boss. I got to the top of the tower today, and spent like 3 hours fusing personas. Any recommendations for personas for the final battle? I'm at level 74. I sort of want to get to level 90 to fuse Messiah, but I may be too lazy for that.

Wouldn't say specific persona but make sure you have a primary healer like Yukari, and that your main character can heal when needed and do almighty damage to.

No specific Persona. There are 3 things that can make the fight easier though.

1. A Persona with a very high magic attack and all of the abilities to enhance their element. I used Sert(beleive that was the name)which is the ultimate Magician persona and all on his own he had learned several spells to enhance fire. Then I used the spell that did Severe fire damage. I was able to kick the bosses early easy forms ass really fast as a result of this. Her final form takes half damage from all attacks though so thats where the second thing comes in handy.

2. A Persona that can heal the whole party to max. It doesnt matter if you can hit for big numbers when she halfs your damage, the main character also attacks first which WILL save your ass from dying. If you have him healing and Yukari on back up you will have no problems till the final bosses final form pulls out her cheap attacks(and even then if your leveled at all it wont be a problem).

3. A Persona or accesory that resists charm. I only had a problem with it 1 time with her, but her final forms final desperation attack when her life gets low can charm you.

I just fused Messiah and Lucifer and used ultimate skill that does 9999 damage, then used SP restoring item and repeated :)

Took about 10 minutes. It really doesnt take long at all to level in Monad. I believe I had good luck using a Persona with Die for Me and Mudo boost and was able to wipe out most groups instantly. That skill is awesome.

Getting close to end of Fes. Just beat first boss on Final door. Around lvl 80 atm, definitely much harder with not having access to compendium or my cheap ass Persona. Will be fusing Beezelbub soon, just gonna take forevor to transfer all 3 of the Dyne skills to him.

Would still be significantly faster as you could afford mid level persona which would speed it up. Also i believe Monad is unlocked from beginning? Not sure though. But if thats the case you could get some money really quickly.

[quote name='Brian9824']Would still be significantly faster as you could afford mid level persona which would speed it up. Also i believe Monad is unlocked from beginning? Not sure though. But if thats the case you could get some money really quickly.[/quote]

Assuming you can actually defeat any of the shadowns in Monad...

[quote name='Brian9824']I just fused Messiah and Lucifer and used ultimate skill that does 9999 damage, then used SP restoring item and repeated :)[/quote]

Thats the same thing I did. One-shotting bosses is super fun :) After spending over 80 hours I just wanted to finish the damn thing and this is definitely the easiest way to do so.

I beat it. I feel a somewhat sad and a little confused.
I was really happy that I could go around and talk to all of the social links I had mastered to find out what happened. One of my favorites had to be Ms Toriumi finding out that the main character was the person from the online game.
About the ending, I liked it and hated it all at the same time. I like that it didn't end perfectly and that the main character died because I just feel that sometimes an ending like that is needed among all the happy ever afters. But, at the same time, it makes me sad that the main character died and I wish he hadn't.

I fought the boss' final form down to about half its life then used Armageddon to finish it off.

I'm contemplating trying to play through The Answer. I already started it, but after going through the first floor of the dungeon, it seems like it's going to be a pain.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I beat it. I feel a somewhat sad and a little confused.
I was really happy that I could go around and talk to all of the social links I had mastered to find out what happened. One of my favorites had to be Ms Toriumi finding out that the main character was the person from the online game.
About the ending, I liked it and hated it all at the same time. I like that it didn't end perfectly and that the main character died because I just feel that sometimes an ending like that is needed among all the happy ever afters. But, at the same time, it makes me sad that the main character died and I wish he hadn't.

I fought the boss' final form down to about half its life then used Armageddon to finish it off.

I'm contemplating trying to play through The Answer. I already started it, but after going through the first floor of the dungeon, it seems like it's going to be a pain.[/QUOTE]

Hehe ya the teacher S.Link was the best. The main character should have tapped it though.

[quote name='pete5883']Chibi:
Is it clear that he's dead in the FES ending? In the original, it just looks like he went to sleep.
[/quote]

In response to that
Yes it's said multiple times but their is more going on with it then meets the eye, and in video games people who are dead might not stay dead

And slight Fes spoiler but its like 2 minutes into FES so it doesn't even count
Apparently Aigis inherited his ability somehow and FYI she REALLY kicks ass with it.

I'd really suggest playing FES especially if you want more to the ending. Lengthwise its nowhere near as long. I'm around 35 hours in and almost done. Just beat 2nd boss on 7th set of doors so should be finished soon. I will say the difficulty in FES is higher. Skills like Tetrakarn and Metrakarn for boss fights are absolutely needed now as its very rare to be able to pull off all out attacks on bosses now the way they are set up.

[quote name='Brian9824']In response to that
Yes it's said multiple times but their is more going on with it then meets the eye, and in video games people who are dead might not stay dead

And slight Fes spoiler but its like 2 minutes into FES so it doesn't even count
Apparently Aigis inherited his ability somehow and FYI she REALLY kicks ass with it.

I'd really suggest playing FES especially if you want more to the ending. Lengthwise its nowhere near as long. I'm around 35 hours in and almost done. Just beat 2nd boss on 7th set of doors so should be finished soon. I will say the difficulty in FES is higher. Skills like Tetrakarn and Metrakarn for boss fights are absolutely needed now as its very rare to be able to pull off all out attacks on bosses now the way they are set up.[/QUOTE]

Isnt FES pure dungeon grind though? And doesnt it not let you access your compendium?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Isnt FES pure dungeon grind though? And doesnt it not let you access your compendium?[/quote]

yes, you got it perfectly, its a pure dungeon grind and no compendium. I have little motivation to finish it myself, i'm only on door 3, but i'm playing every other week...its just hard to find motivation to do the same thing over and over.

[quote name='pete5883']Chibi:
Is it clear that he's dead in the FES ending? In the original, it just looks like he went to sleep.
[/quote]

They don't really come out and say it, but after playing dozens of RPGs and watching tons of anime, you can kinda draw that conclusion when all the SLinks you talk to tell you that you look like crap and you feel exhausted all the time. Classic case of the hero using all his power to save the world.

[quote name='Brian9824']In response to that

[/QUOTE]

I meant in the animated part.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']
They don't really come out and say it, but after playing dozens of RPGs and watching tons of anime, you can kinda draw that conclusion when all the SLinks you talk to tell you that you look like crap and you feel exhausted all the time. Classic case of the hero using all his power to save the world.
[/quote]

Actually
They do exactly say it, you just got to get a little farther. They say he died of unknown causes several times.

[quote name='Brian9824']Actually
They do exactly say it, you just got to get a little farther. They say he died of unknown causes several times.
[/quote]

They say that in The Answer, but not in The Journey.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Isnt FES pure dungeon grind though? And doesnt it not let you access your compendium?[/QUOTE]
Yes to both, but really the only difficult part comes from the fact that ALL bosses have either "Evade ___" to their weaknesses. So no matter how prepared you are with Personas, attacks that hit bosses' weaknesses are dodged about 50% of the time.
Getting used to fusing without a compendium isn't as hard as it seems. I was initially scared it would be impossible, but it's not at all.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Yes to both, but really the only difficult part comes from the fact that ALL bosses have either "Evade ___" to their weaknesses. So no matter how prepared you are with Personas, attacks that hit bosses' weaknesses are dodged about 50% of the time.
Getting used to fusing without a compendium isn't as hard as it seems. I was initially scared it would be impossible, but it's not at all.[/QUOTE]
Ditto this. No compendium almost kept me from playing The Answer, but it wasn't nearly the problem I imagined it would be. Just be more careful than you would be in the Journey.

Picked up Persona 3 FES today for $15 ($5 Reward Zone cert and $10 off since they didn't have my in-store pickup order ready in time). I'm really loving the game even though I'm not too far and have only done Tartarus twice so far. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it by the time Persona 4 is out!

I usually hate kids but I liked Ken. He wasn't annoying like most little kid characters in video games. I loved his reason for joining SEES too. MAJOR SPOILERS
After his mother died, Ken dedicated his entire life towards killing Shinji. Then he was going to kill himself.
I wish more games had characters and subplots like this.

So I've been struggling to stay interested in FES. It's pretty much all grinding so far and I hate grinding in RPGs. I'm going to try to stick it out just to get to the rest of the story. I'm tempted to watch the ending on youtube and move on to something else.

I read that the Ken's character was designed to be very mature for his age. That could be why he isn't so annoying. I also hate little annoying kids in RPGs but Ken didn't bother me.

This game doesn't require much grinding, but instead you have to be skilled in Persona development. Bottom line, just try to have a good variety of Persona.

So, sometimes I choose to do a social link activity, and there's no character interaction and no chance for me to answer questions or choose actions. Instead, it just says something like "You feel your relationship with growing stronger. It could increase soon!" this happens even when I have a persona that matches that social link arcana. For example, I had this happen with Kazushi (Kendo team - Chariot Arcana) on a Friday (so I'm not talking about Sundays).

Is this required as you get to the higher levels for an S link (I was at level 8, trying for 9)? Or does that mean I should have done a different social link that day? It felt like a total waste and missed opportunity to hang out with someone else...

[quote name='Backlash']So, sometimes I choose to do a social link activity, and there's no character interaction and no chance for me to answer questions or choose actions. Instead, it just says something like "You feel your relationship with growing stronger. It could increase soon!" this happens even when I have a persona that matches that social link arcana. For example, I had this happen with Kazushi (Kendo team - Chariot Arcana) on a Friday (so I'm not talking about Sundays).

Is this required as you get to the higher levels for an S link (I was at level 8, trying for 9)? Or does that mean I should have done a different social link that day? It felt like a total waste and missed opportunity to hang out with someone else...[/QUOTE]

That just means the next time you hang out with him the S. Link will level up. You have to spend so much time with them to get to the next level, and they all do that AFAIK.

Cool, thanks for the info. So it seems like I'm better off getting some of my lower ones up a bit higher before I max out any. That way I'll get more benefit for fusing the various personas as I play.

Yeah, that's what I do. I always look at my lowest-level S.link after school and see if that person is available that day. That's also a good idea because there are certain S.links that don't become available until so-and-so's S.link level is at, for example, 5.

Yay so I beat it.

74+ hours for P3 and almost 28 for FES. So is Aegis is semi-human now? The main hero of Persona 3 is now, well... a wall? lol. I was hoping for some sort of major twist near the end of FES but I guess fighting against your party was pretty damn big in itself. I can't help but wish they would make another Persona based on the third one, but the game seems pretty resolved right now. It's a shame the main character had to go out that way but I guess it has meaning.

bread's done
Back