The PIXAR Thread Movie out now UP!!

Caught an 11:30am 3D showing. Agree that it was a bit on the sad side (surprisingly so actually) , but still a good movie , if not a bit predictable. I would have to say it's not one of Pixar's best , but even Pixar's not so great movies are better than a lot of other companies movies.

Jesus H. Christ, I actually teared up a bit. It's been over 8 years since I last had my eyes get so watery from any kind of sadness :(

3D is a gimmick in my mind. I wish they'd either drop it altogether or put some serious cash into it and make it work. Ice Age preview looked spiffy though for 3D.

UP was indeed the saddest Pixar movie by a long shot. It was still very good though. I felt like the first half of the movie was pure gold and they kind of tanked on the late game.

I wasn't expecting to get hit with the heavy part so early in the film and I did tear up a bit. It was a nice little movie and the kids enjoyed it.

Planning on seeing it today, but what's the deal with the Disney Digital? Does the 3D make any difference at all? And do the glasses work well if you've already got glasses?

This studio knows how to make em: Toy Story, Nemo, Wall-E(personal favorite)etc... and the reviews have been good so i'll eventually see it

Up was awesome. It was also so adorable. That cloud short before the movie was the cutest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

The Cloud short before the movie was really well done. I may be the only one here who thinks so, but I think Up and Star Trek are the best movies of the summer so far. Prove me wrong!! :)
As far as Pixar movies go, my favorite has been Monsters Inc.

Going to see this tonight. I hope it's not as sad as some of you said it was, since I'm going to see it with four other guys...

This is going to be awkward...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Going to see this tonight. I hope it's not as sad as some of you said it was, since I'm going to see it with four other guys...

This is going to be awkward...[/QUOTE]

went w/ my girlfriend and her friends and about 3 dudes... by the end of the night most were tearing up...

....just think of it as a male bonding experience, it will bring you guys closer

Just got back from seeing it in 3-D. I'd say it's one of Pixar's better films. The 3-D was novel, but I could do without it.

I enjoyed the Toy Story 3 teaser and the Partly Cloudy short.

[quote name='ilpalazzo150']Planning on seeing it today, but what's the deal with the Disney Digital? Does the 3D make any difference at all? And do the glasses work well if you've already got glasses?[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind paying the extra $1 or 2 for the 3-D , its nice , but nothing that would probably make that much of a difference (but can't really say for sure since I've only seen it in 3-D). My friend might be able to make a better judgment of that , since he plans to go back and watch the regular version of the movie in the next week or so.

As for the glasses issue , my friend that I went with had to wear the glasses over his own , and had some trouble keeping them on/seeing through them in parts. If you have contacts , they would probably work better (his thoughts not mine).

[quote name='Rocko']Just got back from seeing it in 3-D. I'd say it's one of Pixar's better films. The 3-D was novel, but I could do without it.

I enjoyed the Toy Story 3 teaser and the Partly Cloudy short.[/QUOTE]

You went to the 3-D showing and got the TS3 teaser AND the Partly Cloudy short? We got screwed then. We were told the regular version got the short and the 3-D version got the teaser , which considering the short didn't run for us we assumed he wasn't lying. :(

Yep, I saw it in 3-D and saw both of those.

I have glasses, and I wore the 3-D glasses over my own glasses. Worked fine for me.

[quote name='Rocko']Yep, I saw it in 3-D and saw both of those.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks for me. I would've traded the TS3 teaser for the Partly Cloudy short. :[

Eye Glasses w/ 3D glasses; if you have a small nose issues will arise. Otherwise you're golden. I didn't have much issue wearing both but my girlfriend did.

Saw it, liked it. It was no Wall-E, but it was good. Fortunately, I didn't find it all that sad, though all my friends did...

Partly Cloudy was cool too.

Saw the non-3D print last night. God, I really am starting to believe they will never be able to make a bad film. This was one of the most touching, emotional films I've seen in a while. It is sad, but leaves you feeling...well, high as Carl's house, actually.

And yes, Partly Cloudy was unbelievably adorable.

The First 20 minutes were some of the saddest I have seen in a long time. The 3D effects were ok but not great. It ranks certainly in the top 4 of Pixar movies in my opinion.

3D is neat but could have been left out. There wasn't any effects to benifit from it.

I enjoyed it and it was probably one of the saddest Pixar yet.

Serious though... Pixar is printing gold... can't fail.. and wonder how long they can go.

I guess the only downside was the 3D was 3D, and that getting charged to get the glasses... penalty I suppose for having "3D"...

Me and my fiancee saw it and we cried like bitches. The first part with her
not being able to have children
really hit home to all the parents in the audience and especially us since she might have troubles as well. I truly loved the film and everyone needs to go see it even if you don't like animated films.

Saw this the other day.....dissapointing.

First let me get this out of the way. This isnt me knocking the film in any way but 3D can blow me. I literally had to rub my eyes and not look at the screen for a few seconds (for the first 30 minutes or so) because of the damn 3D(I don't wear glasses or anything btw).

Now to the film.

Good: As usual the production values were solid and the story was cute so in that sense the film was fine. The bird was hilarious which is no surprise because the folks at Pixar always make hilarious animals. The short story before the actual film was a good combination of cute and funny too.

Bad: The jokes were rather stale. Perhaps I was expecting more of a Nemo/Wall-E type film but I was sorely dissapointed in the jokes and other characters. The dogs were ok at first, but they got annoying really fast and the whole squeaky voice thing was just.... As a whole it wasn't a terrible movie but it wasn't their best. To many rehashed jokes. I almost feel like this movie would have been better suited as a short film with just Kevin.

3/5

Off topic but damnit Pixar, what is with the sequels? Toy Story 3 and ANOTHER ICE AGE. Ice Age is getting real old. Just like with up, they would be better off just giving the squirrel his own short film(Clearly this is in my opinion only; I think the box office speaks for itself). They could do what valve did with The Orange Box, only on film: Kevin's Adventure; The Ice Age squirrel; The aliens or some other minor character from Toy Story; and the sea gulls from Nemo. Pixar seems to have a knack for making hilarious short stories.

[quote name='i_bent_my_wookie']The First 20 minutes were some of the saddest I have seen in a long time. The 3D effects were ok but not great. It ranks certainly in the top 4 of Pixar movies in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree... It really hit me when I saw that first part.. both beautiful and sad. I cried at least 3 times during the movie.

Damn it Pixar, what are you trying to do to us?!??!! I am going to give Pixar one more chance... if they make me cry one more time, that's it, I am done with them!!!

What's next? Toy Story 3?

[quote name='slickkill77']
Off topic but damnit Pixar, what is with the sequels? Toy Story 3 and ANOTHER ICE AGE. Ice Age is getting real old. Just like with up, they would be better off just giving the squirrel his own short film(Clearly this is in my opinion only; I think the box office speaks for itself). They could do what valve did with The Orange Box, only on film: Kevin's Adventure; The Ice Age squirrel; The aliens or some other minor character from Toy Story; and the sea gulls from Nemo. Pixar seems to have a knack for making hilarious short stories.[/QUOTE]

Ice Age isn't by Pixar. its by Blue Sky Studios/20th Century Fox.

I thought Up was a fantastic movie. I did find some parts of it to be annoying (like the dogs), but kids probably found it to be hilarious. Pixar can do no wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it, was amazing and was even better than I thought it was going to be. And yeah, the first 20 minutes or so were incredibly sad. The only thing I didn't really understand/like was the main villain.
Was I the only one who felt having Charles Muntz as the villian was a bit odd? I mean at the beginning he looks so awesome, someone you want to like a lot. But by the end of the movie he seems like a completely different character. It just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Overall I give it a solid 9/10, one of Pixar's best.

[quote name='slickkill77']
Off topic but damnit Pixar, what is with the sequels? Toy Story 3 and ANOTHER ICE AGE. Ice Age is getting real old. Just like with up, they would be better off just giving the squirrel his own short film(Clearly this is in my opinion only; I think the box office speaks for itself). They could do what valve did with The Orange Box, only on film: Kevin's Adventure; The Ice Age squirrel; The aliens or some other minor character from Toy Story; and the sea gulls from Nemo. Pixar seems to have a knack for making hilarious short stories.[/QUOTE]

pixar didn't make Ice age dude

[quote name='cgarb84']Saw it, was amazing and was even better than I thought it was going to be. And yeah, the first 20 minutes or so were incredibly sad. The only thing I didn't really understand/like was the main villain.
Was I the only one who felt having Charles Muntz as the villian was a bit odd? I mean at the beginning he looks so awesome, someone you want to like a lot. But by the end of the movie he seems like a completely different character. It just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Overall I give it a solid 9/10, one of Pixar's best.[/QUOTE]

He went bat shit crazy and thought every adventurer was out to undermine him.... perfectly reasonable.

Up was fantastic. Definitely one of my favourites.
My favourite Pixar Movies are probably something like this:
1) Toy Story
2) WALL E
3) Finding Nemo
4) Up!
5) Toy Story 2

All of them are unbelievable though. Cars is the only one I didn't love, but I still enjoyed it.

[quote name='cgarb84']Saw it, was amazing and was even better than I thought it was going to be. And yeah, the first 20 minutes or so were incredibly sad. The only thing I didn't really understand/like was the main villain.

Overall I give it a solid 9/10, one of Pixar's best.[/QUOTE]

I thought it would have been funny if Muntz ended up LIVING in the old house at the end of the movie.

I saw it over the weekend and it was so extremely sad. I was teary eyed throughout the entire movie,
everytime they made mention to his wife, I teared up, no matter how subtle.
Pixar really knows how to tear your heart out and stomp on it repeatedly. I liked the movie, but I'd place other Pixar films ahead of this in my rankings, Wall E will be number 1 for quite some time. This was just too damn sad!

I saw it in 3D, I kinda wish I didn't. The 3D was so lame I quickly forgot it was even 3D. Nothing stood out. Also, since the 3D glasses are tinted, I think it might haven taken away from how colorful the movie really was.

Damn, when did animated films get so heavy? Bf wanted to see this and I thought I'd hate it, but it was actually really good, maybe even a bit touching. Highly recommended, even if you don't have kids.

Usually when people go see a cg movie or something from Pixar, they expect light heartiness, family type movies with some comedy thrown in. It has been their rep since Toy Story. The writers for this movie really threw some harsh real world problems people face today... elderly people living alone, women who can't children and so on. I am starting to think that Pixar *may* have a plan to movie away from family films and move to more serious CG.

After Toy Story 3, we may see some not for kids cg movies from them. Shame, as I wanted to see a sequel to Bug's Life or Cars.

They are going to make a sequel to Cars.

As for Pixar's direction? Why not... I'm sure that they will keep making movies for kids. It's what Disney wants/needs.

I think with more adult themes, we don't have to sit through a Barney movie or Bob the Builder movie.

A movie can be entertaining enough for both kid and adult and that's what we're seeing now.

I finally saw Up over the weekend. Damn what a sad movie. It was good and I'm sure it will grow on me after repeated viewings. I didn't really like Ratatouille or Cars at first but they have since grown on me and I love them now. Pixar is just amazing - the short that played before the movie was better than anything I've seen in years.

Anyone know what the deal is with Monsters, Inc. on blu-ray? I thought I read somewhere that it is it coming out this month...

[quote name='javeryh']I finally saw Up over the weekend. Damn what a sad movie. It was good and I'm sure it will grow on me after repeated viewings. I didn't really like Ratatouille or Cars at first but they have since grown on me and I love them now. Pixar is just amazing - the short that played before the movie was better than anything I've seen in years.

Anyone know what the deal is with Monsters, Inc. on blu-ray? I thought I read somewhere that it is it coming out this month...[/QUOTE]

I am more interested in seeing Finding Nemo. The underwater scenes will look AMAZING in HD

Y'know, the more time that passes, the more I dislike this movie. I wouldn't say I thought it was bad, but I'd definitely say it's very low on my Pixar list. Possibly even at the bottom. When I really think about it, the only aspects I really liked were Kevin and Doug.

I want to see Finding Nemo for the first time again...

What kinda bothers me for better or worse is I got more of an emotional response from the first 10 minutes of "Up" then I've had in any movie possibly in years. That and the characters have barely spoken a word besides as children yet I felt more attachment to them then say a two hour movie can give. So it kinda makes me wonder if Pixar is either REALLY good at telling a story or are movies/actors these days just total crap?

Also yes, I loved the movie, though I still felt a bit sad leaving the theater.

[quote name='bardockkun']What kinda bothers me for better or worse is I got more of an emotional response from the first 10 minutes of "Up" then I've had in any movie possibly in years. That and the characters have barely spoken a word besides as children yet I felt more attachment to them then say a two hour movie can give. So it kinda makes me wonder if Pixar is either REALLY good at telling a story or are movies/actors these days just total crap?[/QUOTE]

I had a similar feeling when I saw Wall E. I thought to myself, these robots that barely even talk showed more emotion and connected with my heart more than any real actor/actress ever did. Its truly remarkable.

After seeing UP and other Disney movies over the weekend (Bolt, Lion King, and Toy Story), I cannot wait until the next Kingdom Hearts game. Hopefully Square Enix uses the Pixar movies in the next game like Toy Story, Incredibles, Wall-E, and Up. Maybe then video games will finally have "Toy Story" graphics.

I've always felt like Pixar movies (and some other CG movies as well) have the same basic formula:

1. They usually have to go find something/someone
2. Two unlikely individuals unite for the quest
3. Along the road a pivotal moment occurs when the two fight and one either leaves or becomes immensely sad
4. Something happens that requires them to work together and even though they had a fight they unite and accomplish it
5. At the end they become disgustingly close

(There will always be a dumb character that is central to the plot)
A lot of dreamworks movies follow this formula as well, but they tend to change it up a bit. And the only Pixar movie I feel almost destroys this idea is Wall-e, just because there is no talking out of the main characters.

bread's done
Back