The PSP Go! Rumor Thread - 5/30: Huge Leak of PSP Go Info, Pics, and a Video

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
From Hellbringer's post:
[quote name='h3llbring3r']http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/30/sonys-psp-go-leaks-out-before-e3-is-obviously-a-go/

sony-psp-go-small.jpg

29cl98n.jpg

More unattractive pics here:
pspgo1.jpg

pspgo2.jpg

pspgo3.jpg

pspgo4.jpg

pspgo5.jpg

pspgo6.jpg

pspgo7.jpg
Thanks freakyzeeky for the pics; It's not looking any better though.

Limited Spec info:
A few more official specifications are flowing from the full Qore video (pardon the sync issues). Here's the dirt:

• 3.8-inch display (resolution is undisclosed)
  • 43 percent lighter than the PSP-3000
  • 16GB of Flash storage
  • Bluetooth built-in; supports handset tethering and BT headsets
  • No UMD drive
  • Memory Stick Micro slot
  • New Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet and new Metal Gear Solid (!) on the way
  • Full PlayStation Network support (movie and TV rentals / purchases)
  • Integration with PlayStation 3 (works the same as the PSP-3000 does)
  • Sony views each of its products as "10-year lifecycle products," so the PSP "needs to live on."

From engadget:
Is that still a single analog set up, I see? :wall:

sony-psp-go-hi-res.jpg

Also, looks like LBP for PSP is coming soon. (see screen)
Edit: Confirmed in the video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJFpWzj7eY[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF are they talking about Apple running away with the Gaming market... with NO mention of the DOMINATING DS.

Apples games are all gimicks... like Warioware games... except that's it...

And only because it's Apple are companies flaunting it, because people will buy anything.

Make games that are $40 and you'll see a HUGE decline in games on that device. Now buying the Peggle alternative for

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd be disappointed in a UMD-less successor to the PSP since it wouldn't be BC with all of the games I have now.[/quote]

You could rip your UMDs to your computer and load them onto a memory stick... it will probably require some sort of CFW though otherwise there would be no way to stop people from sharing their ripped UMDs (like people are doing now anyway).

I'm only interested in a PSP2 if they make some fun games for it. The same holds true for any system.

David Perry is the Michael Pachter of the shit talking video game universe. This guy seems to just spit out wild speculation just to see his name in the press. If he wasn't labeled a genius early on maybe he'd be a normal game dev right now just making good games.

Who let him speak for Sony? Oh, and please tell me what is Apple doing with the portable game market because everywhere I go I see kids and adults playing on their DS and I see more people playing PSP's than I do iPhone's/Touch, which is saying much because I see PSP's in the wild maybe once a week.

Lastly, this poorly written, grammatically incorrect article is journalism? Wow. We have fallen down a well of spellcheck-free, throw it out there and see if it sticks nonsense.

In general, Dave Perry hasn't ever known shit about anything ever, so I'd take what he says with a huge grain of salt.

Re: Apple

I've said this a few times in DS threads now - Apple at this very moment isn't a competitor, but the fact that there's an article about this every week means that more and more people are starting to see them as a viable platform for games. There's even commercials now that solely promote the iPhone as a gaming device. As that message is hammered more and more into public consciousness, it'll slowly sink in and start to sound gradually more convincing. Combined with the excellent distribution model of the iTunes store and the immense name brand drive, it's a very real threat in the portable gaming sector.

Six months ago when all of this hoopla first started, I immediately threw out the 'ole "yeah they don't offer anything good anyway" response. But as time as gone on, and as I've seen more and more people writing about how the iPhone could be the new future of the medium, and seeing people like Sega and Konami dropping some genuine support on it, I have to re-evaluate that mentality.

I don't think it'll overtake in terms of "real" games, but that doesn't mean developers won't start shifting more and more resources toward a simpler model if it ends up getting them more cash in the long run. At that point it's a bit of a slippery slope, but at least a fairly plausible future.

This all said, it might be time for portable gaming to consider full digital distribution, but that's another discussion entirely.

I will hate the day download-only becomes the standard for video games. You won't see any sales, well maybe a few (like Steam weekend sales), but for the most part, games will stay MSRP forever.

I can't see download-only becoming a reality until Internet access is truly pervasive. It's simply not at this point and they would be foregoing nearly all brick and mortar sales. That means grandma and grandpa won't be nearly as likely to buy little Johnny that new Ratchet game he has on his christmas list.

[quote name='javeryh']You could rip your UMDs to your computer and load them onto a memory stick... it will probably require some sort of CFW though otherwise there would be no way to stop people from sharing their ripped UMDs (like people are doing now anyway).

I'm only interested in a PSP2 if they make some fun games for it. The same holds true for any system.[/quote]
I'm too lazy to do that on my own. Maybe Sony would offer their own tool if that's the route they're going.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I will hate the day download-only becomes the standard for video games. You won't see any sales, well maybe a few (like Steam weekend sales), but for the most part, games will stay MSRP forever.[/QUOTE]

That's actually not the case on the Apple marketplace; games often go 50 % off or even free.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://kotaku.com/5160373/is-it-time-for-a-new-psp

Brian Crecente's putting his money in Perry's pot by saying he's heard the same rumors and doesn't believe he's wrong about it either. He does say it will be mostly cosmetic changes instead of the next generation PSP.[/quote]
Then that would be a PSP-4000 rather than a PSP2...

For Sony's sake, i hope they wait until next year to launch the PSP2. Build up a better library, first and foremost, but the PS3 should be profitable by then requiring less advertising so Sony would have the money (hopefully) to launch the PSP2.

[quote name='chakan']That's actually not the case on the Apple marketplace; games often go 50 % off or even free.[/quote]
I think Apple's using discounted pricing to get a foothold in the market. Once they've got a big enough market share, I could see them keeping MSRP on everything. Apple LOVES money.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I think Apple's using discounted pricing to get a foothold in the market. Once they've got a big enough market share, I could see them keeping MSRP on everything. Apple LOVES money.[/QUOTE]

I dunno...they've fought pretty hard to keep most songs at .99 Apple appreciates that consumers like value.

[quote name='xycury']And only because it's Apple are companies flaunting it, because people will buy anything.[/quote]

Apple customers are loyal ass customers. They will drink Steve Jobs' urine Kool Aid and LOVE it.

I dunno what Dave Perry has done worthwhile beyond Earthworm Jim, and maybe he understands this...hence his willingness to talk PSP2 rumors.

Not going to happen. At least not anytime soon.

If even the early adopters and intense enthusiasts on this forum are divided on the merits of digital distribution, Regular Joe Public who's never connected a console to the internet and only found out the new Madden was out when he saw it on the shelf at Target is not going to just get on board with this. Sony must know this.

I'd be interested to know how many current PSP owners have even used it once to buy something on the PSN store. I bet it's far less than half.

[quote name='SynGamer']Then that would be a PSP-4000 rather than a PSP2...

For Sony's sake, i hope they wait until next year to launch the PSP2. Build up a better library, first and foremost, but the PS3 should be profitable by then requiring less advertising so Sony would have the money (hopefully) to launch the PSP2.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the PS3 becoming less profitable and not more.

Apple loves money, correct... Look at the way they charge $10 for 2.1 updates, seriously, if you bought the iPod touch early, you have to pay that $10. However, Apple is gaining ground on portable gaming. There are gaming commercials, lots free and 99 cent games (most of them are really crap or clones). Will it replace PSP gaming experience? Hell no, not even close. But it does take time away from people, so yeah, it's a driving force for Sony to come up with a new PSP.

PSP 4000 or PSP2? I don't really care... Just tell me what's so hot about it and i'll think about getting one. I agree with going UMD-less. The new PSP can have BC through digital DLs, so it's not a real biggie. Remember, if you want the new PSP to carry the UMD, it will not be slick...

[quote name='pfp']Isn't the PS3 becoming less profitable and not more.[/quote]
The PS3 is becoming MORE profitable. Sony is still losing money, but they will break even this year thanks to cutting costs of components used in the PS3. The Cell is smaller, the RSX is smaller, that then requires less cooling a smaller power supply, etc.

Personally, I'm all for digital distribution. Cut out the middle-man and hopefully keep the prices low. I know many don't see the iPod Touch / iPhone as a viable market to compete against the PSP and DS, but it stopped me from getting Puzzle Quest for the PSP (got it for my iPod) so there's one sale it took away.

I do like that if I want a game for my iPod that I don't have to go anywhere to get it. This could be said about certain offerings from the PSP's PSN right now; if I want to buy Ultimate Ghosts & Gobblins, I don't have to go to a store to buy it. Granted Sony has a lot to learn from those that dev for the iPhone on pricing, but from a functionality standpoint I'm sold.

As others have said, if the PSP2 can have dual analogs and the same buttons as a Dual Shock (maybe minus R3 and L3), I'm sold on design and digital distribution.

There are a few routes Sony could go with this, if pure digital distribution is the way to go. I don't think retailers will go for this since they don't want to be cut out, so unless Sony comes up with a good solution they aren't going to bite. So here are a few of the ideas I see them going forward with:

1) Keep the physical medium of games in a different format than UMD but also allow for the entire library to be downloaded with a PSN account. Satisfies the no UMD rumor and the digital distribution rumor. I think we'll also see a peripheral for the PS3, and maybe the PSP2, that will allow you to rip the UMD into the digital medium.

2) Drop the UMD and go all digital with kiosks. The most extreme of rumors but it's plausible. If this happens I foresee new kiosks showing up in retailers allowing people to show up and download from the kiosk. This allows all those without internet to still get there games ;) Another thought I had would be those kiosks could also read in the physical game you have and credit your account with it, allowing you to redownload it.

3) Drop the UMD and go all digital with code cards. Retailers will get there hard copy with cards that have the DLC code on them(kind of like how the GTA 4 DLC worked). I think we'll also see a peripheral for the PS3, and maybe the PSP2, that will allow you to rip the UMD into the digital medium.

4) Drop the UMD and go all digital while selling special memory sticks in stores. These memory sticks will have the game loaded on them and be locked down in an effort to prevent pirating(but we all know it will be unlocked eventually). I think we'll also see a peripheral for the PS3, and maybe the PSP2, that will allow you to rip the UMD into the digital medium.

My personal hope will look something like this:
All digital distribution. Personally I feel it's the next step(now we just need better and less expensive internet connections =P) Anything purchased off of the PSN can be redownloaded. Once it's on your account, it's there for good. However, you have to register the PSP(and your allowed a finite amount just like the PS3) and can only download the games and what not to the PSPs registered.

The next step would be a releasing a UMD peripheral that allows users to play their games on the PS3 as well as pulling them off the UMD and allowing them to be loaded on a memory stick to play on the PSP. When this is released I think it should just allow for play on the PS3(exactly like the Gamecube attachment that allowed playing of the GBA games), which could open up a new revenue stream. After the PSP2 is released it could then be updated to allow the ripping of UMDs to be played, or use it to associate the games put into it to the PSN account.

Finally have kiosks installed in stores along with cards available for downloads. That way people can buy the cards and go home. Or put in your memory stick and have the kiosk load up a purchased game. At the same time this will require all the PSP games to go onto the PSN as well as all new games being released.

That's what I would like to see for the future of the PSP(and maybe even the PS3 ;) I'm sold on the idea so all I'd like to see is proof =) It'll be interesting to see what Sony does with this.

And to anyone who says this is someone making random shots in the dark: isn't it plausible that Sony is purposely releasing this info to get people hyped about the concept and see what people say?

[quote name='BreakingPoint']The next step would be a releasing a UMD peripheral that allows users to play their games on the PS3 as well as pulling them off the UMD and allowing them to be loaded on a memory stick to play on the PSP. When this is released I think it should just allow for play on the PS3(exactly like the Gamecube attachment that allowed playing of the GBA games), which could open up a new revenue stream. After the PSP2 is released it could then be updated to allow the ripping of UMDs to be played, or use it to associate the games put into it to the PSN account.[/quote]
Is there any way, even hypothetically, to manage the ripping of UMDs so that legitimate owners have unfettered access to their collections, without essentially issuing a free pass to pirates?

The best scheme I can come up with is that all new packaged games come with a one-use download/registration code included, but that doesn't help users with existing UMD game collections nor does it address the issue of what to do when you have to replace/upgrade your PSP, and you've already used up your one-use registration on the old one.

Ryu, in theory you could do something similar to what movie companies are doing with their "digital copy" of a movie; you get a one-time use code that allows you to download the game.

BreakingPoint, that is a good post and I would tend to think retailers would go for option 3, this way they can still get a cut of the proceeds (think GTA:Lost and Damned) yet not have to carry new technologies or a persistent Internet connection to get "new releases" on release day.

I suppose some of the big chains could offer guest wireless so that people can register their new purchases at the store, but I can say that for me, I would be more apt to buy PSN cards and purchase online through my account (which if Sony was smart to implement this plan, they would give a PSN rewards program for those buying through PSN).

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I will hate the day download-only becomes the standard for video games. You won't see any sales, well maybe a few (like Steam weekend sales), but for the most part, games will stay MSRP forever.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pete5883']That would be really stupid, considering all the games they just announced for the original.[/QUOTE]
These were my first 2 thoughts when reading this thread.

Hopefully it's just a cosmetic change. I'd love to get my hands on a slim on the cheap.

OT, but wouldn't games be cheaper if they were digital only? Cutting out the middle man and doing direct download would also cut costs. My only concern, although it is a major one, is DRM. I like owning a physical copy I can do whatever I want with (trade, sell, hold in my hand and look at). This is obviously not really possible in the digital-only realm.

If the PSP2 is not only UMD only, but a redesign complete with overall improvements and new added features, then I'd consider getting one. But for now I'm happy with what I got and see no incentive to upgrade at this time, rumor or not.

[quote name='b3b0p']I don't care how much downloadable games cost.

Htf do you trade them or sell them when you tire of them?[/QUOTE]

Who would sell the unit anyways? All the money is made off of the games and accessories, I can't see retail embracing a system where people never enter the store to buy games. I guess if they gave the store a kickback for games purchased for systems they sold it would make it worth the retail shelf space to sell the unit.

Digital distro would never work unless everyone had unlimited internet access; and with ISPs going toward bandwidth limits (Comcamst and TWC is testing it) I can't see it happening except for small games and add-ons.

I think Sony should just use their M2 format but improve the security. They really need to combat piracy with the PSP2 if they want it to be successful with developers. My only concern is that the M2 memory sticks are a bit small, but they can hold quite a bit and Sony would get/save more money using M2 than microSD...thought it's a toss-up as to which is cheaper to use in the long run.

A 4GB M2 from Sandisk costs $12.50 on Amazon.com but i'm sure the actual cost is MUCH, much lower than that. I's venture to guess a 4GB M2 memory stick costs the same or less than a UMD (that only holds 1.8GB).

[quote name='SynGamer']The PS3 is becoming MORE profitable. Sony is still losing money, but they will break even this year thanks to cutting costs of components used in the PS3. The Cell is smaller, the RSX is smaller, that then requires less cooling a smaller power supply, etc.[/quote]

Nice twist. The PS3 is becoming cheaper to make, not more profitable. There is no profit. You have to have profit to get to more profit. Sony is just losing less money now per PS3 than before.

If Sony breaks even this year due to the cheaper production costs of the PS3 I will eat a brick of shit.

back on topic.....

It makes no sense to have a PSP2 this close to consumer release when the PSP-3000 just came out AND Sony announced all these huge games for it (Motorstorm, LBP, Assassin's Creed and Rock Band). A digital download only PSP would most end up a homebrew/custom firmware/etc system as oppossed to a true mobile hardcore gaming device Sony wants it to be.

[quote name='gunm']OT, but wouldn't games be cheaper if they were digital only? Cutting out the middle man and doing direct download would also cut costs.[/quote]
In a competitive market, yes. Assuming that Sony would allow the publishers to set the price, you would see cheaper games through a digital distribution channel. The problem comes when Sony decides that THEY should set the price, hence removing out the "internal" competition for the PSP gamespace and moving the competition to the gamer's time. Also, current digital distribution channels that share a product with a retail outfit (ala Steam) are bound to sell, at launch, games at the same price (something else to take into consideration).

[quote name='onapartyrock']Who would sell the unit anyways? All the money is made off of the games and accessories, I can't see retail embracing a system where people never enter the store to buy games. I guess if they gave the store a kickback for games purchased for systems they sold it would make it worth the retail shelf space to sell the unit.

Digital distro would never work unless everyone had unlimited internet access; and with ISPs going toward bandwidth limits (Comcamst and TWC is testing it) I can't see it happening except for small games and add-ons.[/quote]
The entire iPod line, ESPECIALLY the iPod Touch, deflates this argument ...

[quote name='gunm']OT, but wouldn't games be cheaper if they were digital only? Cutting out the middle man and doing direct download would also cut costs. [/quote]
That's not the case now. There are games in the PlayStation Store that sell at MSRP for download, when you can pick up the UMD version for cheaper at retail.

PSP games can run as high as 2GB. I would imagine the PSP2 would include games much higher, possibly stretching as far as 3-4GB. Regarding the digital-only download, it's just not time yet. Many many people still do not have access to a fast internet connection, which would ultimately lower sales.

There are just way too much conflictions with fully digital downloads.

PSP2? Not this year, heck no.

With the competition with Apple, it's totally not. I believe the iTouch caters to a different audience compared to the gaming handhelds/consoles. People would buy the iTouch primarily for other features outside of gaming.

Hmphf, Perry is an idiot that made Earthworm Jim in the Jurassic era and has some kind of halo on his head.

I don't know about no physical media. I must say that the UMD media is the most fragile piece of shit media I have ever seen. I had a brand new one's housing split in half just removing it from the case. I love the PSP and the screen, still on a phat too. I am also heavily invested with lots of umds because I like the games. I must say that I only use each UMD once or maybe twice so I am not worried about wrecking them. Figure that out for yourself.

Load times are also crap and that UMD noise and just having a physical drive in a portable is a bad idea.

I think eventually everything will be a digital download. You will be able to buy the box with a dl code at the store. Not this generation though, the next.

games on memory stick= yuck, then you gotta swap the stick out every time, nah.

I wish you could get 3 or 4 gb games on a tiny game stick like ds games. To me, that is the way to go and then let people drop the games on the system so they dont have to use the stick each time.

This all sounds too open but that I think is the future. The system will have built in and expandable memory to store your whole damn collection.

Oh, and most of those iphone games are fun for about 10 minutes. Good for taking a crap or killing time at work, but not serious games, no sir.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']PSP games can run as high as 2GB. I would imagine the PSP2 would include games much higher, possibly stretching as far as 3-4GB. Regarding the digital-only download, it's just not time yet. Many many people still do not have access to a fast internet connection, which would ultimately lower sales.

There are just way too much conflictions with fully digital downloads.

PSP2? Not this year, heck no.

With the competition with Apple, it's totally not. I believe the iTouch caters to a different audience compared to the gaming handhelds/consoles. People would buy the iTouch primarily for other features outside of gaming.[/quote]

Download speeds aren't the only problem for digital distribution, but download caps are also becoming a big problem. After enjoying unlimited cable internet for years, my service provider decided to put a 20GB cap per month on downloading, any 1GB over that costs a 1$. What's the point of buying large steam games if the game is 8GB...that's almost 1/2 of my monthly limit! I've already passed on buying several games because of this. Other service providers are moving to this as well, including AT&T with their DSL. If these limits stick, you can crank speed up all you want and digital distribution isn't going to go anywhere.

[quote name='Nephilim']Hmphf, Perry is an idiot that made Earthworm Jim in the Jurassic era and has some kind of halo on his head.

I don't know about no physical media. I must say that the UMD media is the most fragile piece of shit media I have ever seen. I had a brand new one's housing split in half just removing it from the case. I love the PSP and the screen, still on a phat too. I am also heavily invested with lots of umds because I like the games. I must say that I only use each UMD once or maybe twice so I am not worried about wrecking them. Figure that out for yourself.

Load times are also crap and that UMD noise and just having a physical drive in a portable is a bad idea.

I think eventually everything will be a digital download. You will be able to buy the box with a dl code at the store. Not this generation though, the next.

games on memory stick= yuck, then you gotta swap the stick out every time, nah.

I wish you could get 3 or 4 gb games on a tiny game stick like ds games. To me, that is the way to go and then let people drop the games on the system so they dont have to use the stick each time.

This all sounds too open but that I think is the future. The system will have built in and expandable memory to store your whole damn collection.

Oh, and most of those iphone games are fun for about 10 minutes. Good for taking a crap or killing time at work, but not serious games, no sir.[/quote]
Um, a memory stick is smaller than a DS game cartridge, you know that right?

I refuse to buy a PSP until they remove the UMD drive. I don't want that pos draining the battery. I think games on memory stick would be a good idea imo if Sony did decide to drop the UMD drive. Memory sticks provide longer battery life, no noise, and a longer life compared to UMD.

[quote name='Redeema']David Perry is the Michael Pachter of the shit talking video game universe[/QUOTE]

This is empirical truth, and effectively ends the need to have further discussion about the PSP2.

The PSP2 bundle will be out in the fall, and include the pack-in title MGS4:360 Edition.

Phbbhbht. Do you know how many memory sticks that would take?

Like....a billion. Sony would be bringing back coding punch-cards.

Sony should just get that new PSP out as soon as possible. None of this making it look prettier crap. The PSP has been on its' deathbed for a while now. Instead of PS2 ports we're now going to be getting inferior versions of PS3 titles. They should just focus on getting PSP2 out. Get rid of UMD, have internal storage, and fix the God awful online system.

[quote name='Blackout']Sony should just get that new PSP out as soon as possible. None of this making it look prettier crap. The PSP has been on its' deathbed for a while now. Instead of PS2 ports we're now going to be getting inferior versions of PS3 titles. They should just focus on getting PSP2 out. Get rid of UMD, have internal storage, and fix the God awful online system.[/quote]
Online is descent considering there are no friends codes ;) And even if Sony brought out the PSP2, we'd still be getting ports of PS3 games. I don't want to see the PSP2 until 2010/11. It's only 4 years old at this point, 5 next year. I see no reason to even mention the PSP2 for another year+.

[quote name='SynGamer']Online is descent considering there are no friends codes ;) And even if Sony brought out the PSP2, we'd still be getting ports of PS3 games. I don't want to see the PSP2 until 2010/11. It's only 4 years old at this point, 5 next year. I see no reason to even mention the PSP2 for another year+.[/quote]We will probably see another PSP revision this year or the next.

[quote name='Blackout']Sony should just get that new PSP out as soon as possible. None of this making it look prettier crap. The PSP has been on its' deathbed for a while now.[/QUOTE]
It's been selling very well in Japan this last year. Hell, this week it was the #2 selling hardware. It just hit 50 million worldwide. Maybe you don't know what "on its deathbed" means?

[quote name='Redeema']David Perry is the Michael Pachter of the shit talking video game universe.[/QUOTE]
So you're saying David Perry is to video games what Michael Pachter is to video games? Brilliant analogy.

[quote name='pete5883']It's been selling very well in Japan this last year. Hell, this week it was the #2 selling hardware. It just hit 50 million worldwide. Maybe you don't know what "on its deathbed" means?

So you're saying David Perry is to video games what Michael Pachter is to video games? Brilliant analogy.[/quote]

Thats because Japanese developers are actualy making good games for the psp. Unlike American ones who don't like the system that much.

On the topic of the whole "Digital Distrabution" thing. I think this is very unlikely to happen. It would alienate to large of a customer base at this time, and it would cost sales. A large precentage of people would think you need a cedit card for the system because they have never heard of PSN cards(I actaully know quite a few 360 owners that never bought anything from market place untill I told them about pre-paid points cards. ) Theres also the fact that as alot of people have said that they prefer having a physical copy of the game, and the fact of not being able to trade, or sell the game once your bored with it.

[quote name='kurokubushi']Thats because Japanese developers are actualy making good games for the psp. Unlike American ones who don't like the system that much.[/QUOTE]
First, we do get Japanese games here, you know. Second, 7 of the top 10 selling PSP games are western-developed. So wtf are you talking about?

The PSP 3000 just came out less than a year ago. Not a good idea to start selling PSP2s this fall, if it's true i'd be pissed if i were a psp 3000 owner. Also PSP 2000s are still in store shelves, imagine having 3 PSP models available.

I agree they need to worry about the DS rather than Apple.

bread's done
Back