The Randy "The Ram" Robinson Wrestling Thread

[quote name='-Never4ever-']OUCH! sick looking finisher there Busta
the one you took :p

Random Q; thinking about getting in to Pro Wrestling, was wondering how you managed to break into the biz?[/QUOTE]haha, gotta love the No Mercy special there :p

As far as "breaking into the biz," I'm not really a good one to ask, for the following reasons:

1) I'm not so much an "indy guy" as I am a "part time, local indy guy." I'm not looking to go anywhere with this or "make it," in the typical sense. Just having a great time doing something I love, while still holding on to my normal life.

2) My "break" had very little to with my own ambition, and very much to do with knowing the right people, and being in the right place at the right time.

That said, here's how I got involved, in a nutshell.... My cousin is an agent for numerous wrestlers on the indy scene, and he got connected with a somewhat nontraditional wrestling school that was starting up. He asked if I wanted in. I figured I would kick myself if I didn't at least give it a shot, so I started attending the classes. After a year, the school started putting on shows... and as their first 100% homegrown talent, I've been booked on pretty much every one of them!

Thus pretty much all of my work has been with "Pro Wrestling Revolution" of Long Island. I've done extra gigs here and there - a birthday party in New Jersey, and a prison ministry event in Riker's Island are two of the most interesting examples - but even then, it's been with the same core group of workers. So I'm not an "indy scene" guy, per se, but that's how my experience has unfolded thus far!

The local Borders Express is closing in a few days, so all of their "bargain books" are 75% off of the clearance price. I picked up Foley's "Hardcore Diaries" hardcover for $1.25 - unsurprisingly, they had a TON of copies.

[quote name='cdubb1605']false, they make note that no. 1 and no. 30 have both produced the same number of winners.... no 1 being hbk and benoit (only hbk shown) and no 30 being taker and cena[/quote]

I admit it... that was my fault, since I forgot about Taker entering at 30. I can't find the promo online yet, but I doun't remember them showing Taker at that part of the package, so that may be where the confusion came in.

Sadly, if they did only show Michaels and Cena, I almost have to actually give them a 'good job' for how tactfully it was been handled.

So, uh, I seem to have really screwed up on that one, then. Sorry.

... anyway, I thought was a well-put together promo, and was actually surprised to see Chyna given her own part (for the ultimate bettering of Stone Cold, but still).

[quote name='007']So, uh, I seem to have really screwed up on that one, then. Sorry.

... anyway, I thought was a well-put together promo, and was actually surprised to see Chyna given her own part (for the ultimate bettering of Stone Cold, but still).[/quote]

yeah the entire promo is put together really well, my fave part is when one of the bushwhackers is coming to the ring doing their walk, enters the ring, gets tossed out and keeps on walking like nothing happened

[quote name='cdubb1605']yeah the entire promo is put together really well, my fave part is when one of the bushwhackers is coming to the ring doing their walk, enters the ring, gets tossed out and keeps on walking like nothing happened[/QUOTE]

I did laugh at that.

It was an excellent way of promoting the PPV based on the history of the event itself. Which is a unique angle that almost even got me interested in the show despite the snowball's chance in hell of my paying for it. Is it this Sunday or next?

[quote name='007']So, uh, I seem to have really screwed up on that one, then. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

bah. no worries.

[quote name='TheRock88']Gabriella Fox

She has a new dvd out today, cant wait to watch it. ;)[/quote]

yup.. thats her.. absolutely incredible...

[quote name='-Never4ever-']So I spent $13 on 2 tix to see the wrestler, only to find out it's coming out this friday at my job & I could've seen it for free? To make matters worse, my GF didn't like the movie, and now I have to take her to Bride Wars as compensation / punishment to me.

Oh well, movie was pretty good, even if it was pretty light on story and gave a bit too much time to the matches themselves.[/quote]

So you're saying it's the exact opposite of every Monday Night Raw for the past 3 years?

[quote name='-Never4ever-']So I spent $13 on 2 tix to see the wrestler, only to find out it's coming out this friday at my job & I could've seen it for free? To make matters worse, my GF didn't like the movie, and now I have to take her to Bride Wars as compensation / punishment to me.

Oh well, movie was pretty good, even if it was pretty light on story and gave a bit too much time to the matches themselves.[/QUOTE]
seemed to be the opposite to me....

[quote name='BustaUppa']haha, gotta love the No Mercy special there :p

As far as "breaking into the biz," I'm not really a good one to ask, for the following reasons:

1) I'm not so much an "indy guy" as I am a "part time, local indy guy." I'm not looking to go anywhere with this or "make it," in the typical sense. Just having a great time doing something I love, while still holding on to my normal life.

2) My "break" had very little to with my own ambition, and very much to do with knowing the right people, and being in the right place at the right time.

That said, here's how I got involved, in a nutshell.... My cousin is an agent for numerous wrestlers on the indy scene, and he got connected with a somewhat nontraditional wrestling school that was starting up. He asked if I wanted in. I figured I would kick myself if I didn't at least give it a shot, so I started attending the classes. After a year, the school started putting on shows... and as their first 100% homegrown talent, I've been booked on pretty much every one of them!

Thus pretty much all of my work has been with "Pro Wrestling Revolution" of Long Island. I've done extra gigs here and there - a birthday party in New Jersey, and a prison ministry event in Riker's Island are two of the most interesting examples - but even then, it's been with the same core group of workers. So I'm not an "indy scene" guy, per se, but that's how my experience has unfolded thus far![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight, and I'm not honestly looking to make it in the industry. For starters I don't have the body of a Pro Wrestlers (well outside Dreamer, Brother Ray & the gut Matt Hardy sometimes produces :lol:), and I'm already banged up partly from backyard wrestling, partly from just being so out of shape as a kid.

It's ironic because I'm being given a similar chance like yourself. Turns out I know a few buddies from the community college I attend that work for a promotion called Old School Pro Wrestling (the same place Beth Phoenix started out in), and I guess word is going around that they want to start up a school or training seminar of some sort and want me in (because at 6'2, 235 lbs I look like a Pro Wrestler).

At this point, I'm looking at it as a Hobby. I have a better chance at being a professional Yu-Gi-Oh! player than a Pro Wrestler :lol:

[quote name='bornrunnin31']So you're saying it's the exact opposite of every Monday Night Raw for the past 3 years?[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'd say the past 8 years or so. Actually I don't think there's ever been a time in the WWF/WWE (circa Vince Jr coming into power) where wrestling didn't take a backseat to story.

[quote name='strongpimphand']seemed to be the opposite to me....[/QUOTE]

As a wrestling fan I dug it, however non wrestling fans will just get annoyed. Honestly I didn't expect them to expose the biz as much as they did. It's no wonder why Vince hated the movie so much. Also it's no wonder the one reviewer thought it was based on Mick Foley. Foley has that run-down look to him.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Honestly I didn't expect them to expose the biz as much as they did. It's no wonder why Vince hated the movie so much.[/QUOTE]

Vince hating anything for exposing the business after McMahon-approved projects like Beyond the Mat, Tough Enough, WWF Unscripted and essentially every episode of RAW from 1997-2001 is the expected level of hypocrisy.

I love how Vince always wants to have his cake, eat it too, sell it as well and stop anyone else from having cake at the same time.

Vince hated the movie because it's respected. McMahon is financially well off, but let's be honest: he's tried TONS of promoting tactics/organizations over the years, and the WWF/WWE has been the only success. EVERYTHING ELSE he has done has been an unmitigated failure. The WBF, the XFL, his financial failures in promoting the Eval Knieval Snake River Whatever jump and the Ali/Inoki boxer vs wrestler match, his laughably miserable movies, etc.

He didn't just fail to succeed, his track record outside of professional wrestling is what internet memes like "EPIC FAIL" are made from.

So, now WWE finances (remember kids, all you need to be an "executive producer" is a checkbook) some straight-to-video quality films that make a profit. But "The Marine" was not a critical darling. McMahon can't get a break by his peers. So he scorns them when they do things. Especially when they come into the turf that he is successful in. Even worse when they receive critical adulation for it.

There's no reason to be jealous of The Wrestler for its exposure of the business. WWE has been open about that for two decades, and kayfabe is dead. Seeing photographs of Edge working in a soup kitchen on WWE.com a few weeks back should remind you that they don't mind exposing the business.

There's no reason to be jealous of The Wrestler for its revenue. It's going to make money, but it's a critical darling that won't be a bank-buster for Fox Searchlight.

In the end, it's the respect that McMahon has *never* succeeded in earning from his media peers that he's jealous of. He feels like he deserves it, and doesn't understand why he doesn't have it.

[quote name='Fanboy']

I love how Vince always wants to have his cake, eat it too, sell it as well and stop anyone else from having cake at the same time.[/QUOTE]

:lol: He always comes off as the spoiled rich kid on the playground.

[quote name='mykevermin']
In the end, it's the respect that McMahon has *never* succeeded in earning from his media peers that he's jealous of. He feels like he deserves it, and doesn't understand why he doesn't have it.[/QUOTE]

Never thought about it like that actually. It really makes McMahon look like the George Bush Jr of Pro Wrestling -- an incompetent failure that only managed to make it because of Daddy and because he was surrounded by people who don't suck at their job.

It's times like these that I look back at early 2001 and remember at one point I was actually
happy WWE purchased WCW.

I watched the Wrestler yesterday and really enjoyed it. I think the Wrestler rivals Raging Bull. I feel Rourke's Robinson is a more personable and sympathetic character than DeNiro's LaMotta.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']:lol: He always comes off as the spoiled rich kid on the playground.

Never thought about it like that actually. It really makes McMahon look like the George Bush Jr of Pro Wrestling -- an incompetent failure that only managed to make it because of Daddy and because he was surrounded by people who don't suck at their job.

It's times like these that I look back at early 2001 and remember at one point I was actually
happy WWE purchased WCW.[/quote]

I was never happy that the McMahon's bought WCW.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']:lol: He always comes off as the spoiled rich kid on the playground.

happy WWE purchased WCW.[/quote]

I was never happy that the McMahon's bought WCW.

In the end, it's the respect that McMahon has *never* succeeded in earning from his media peers that he's jealous of. He feels like he deserves it, and doesn't understand why he doesn't have it.

More to your point, I've always felt McMahon doesn't grasp pop culture. I watched a shoot with Unibrow Russo and Ed Ferrera, two guys who I don't particularly care for but they hit the nail on the head... Vince lives in the "Wrestling Bubble" and doesn't have time to take in things like TV shows.

When Ashley wanted permission to go on Survivor, I heard they had to stop just short of using sock puppets and a chalk board to explain to McMahon what exactly Survivor was. The show had been on at that point for seven years and was vastly popular.

The original Doink the Clown was conceived when Shane McMahon read Stephen King's "It" and wanted to base a character around the nightmare clown Pennywise. Everyone liked it, until Vince McMahon was let off on his drug charges and he 'didn't get it' and changed it to his liking, killing a perfectly good gimmick.

And then you get things like the Donald Trump vs. Rosie O'Donnel 'match' or Barack Obama vs. Hillary Clinton. Vince can't do mainstream. He's the only one who doesn't get that. Not that wrestling needs to be mainstream.

Let's not forget Vince scrapping both The Blonde Bytch Project and "Pirate" Paul Burchill because he'd never seen the movies either angle was based on, and assumed no one else had either, despite their immense popularity at the times of their release.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Let's not forget Vince scrapping both The Blonde Bytch Project and "Pirate" Paul Burchill because he'd never seen the movies either angle was based on, and assumed no one else had either, despite their immense popularity at the times of their release.[/QUOTE]

Actually they scrapped the Blond Bytch Project because legal advised them not to do a parody of Sable while she was actively suing the company.

[quote name='Chase']

I was never happy that the McMahon's bought WCW.[/QUOTE]

Well I hated the way WCW was run into the ground by that point and thought WWE would turn WCW around. At that point I was as a HUGE WWE mark and thought Vince & co. could do no wrong.

It was 2 weeks after WM17 that my faith in them would be shaken and by 2003 it would be almost completely gone.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Never thought about it like that actually. It really makes McMahon look like the George Bush Jr of Pro Wrestling -- an incompetent failure that only managed to make it because of Daddy and because he was surrounded by people who don't suck at their job.[/QUOTE]

Not a perfect analogy. Remember, the WWWF/Capitol Wrestling was a small-time indie league in the northeast. Or a "territory." Semantics, really. Vince McMahon Jr. made the WWF a success. Not dad. He deserves credit for that. Not as much as he gives himself, of course - after all, the WWF would be out of business if (and y'all hate to admit this) Vince Russo wasn't a part of the WWF in the 1990's when Vince decided to stop being the lone decision maker. You have to credit the people who worked there, not just Vince. But he wasn't handed a national wrestling company: he made it himself. With help from everyone else's talent. ;)

[quote name='Purple Flames']Let's not forget Vince scrapping both The Blonde Bytch Project and "Pirate" Paul Burchill because he'd never seen the movies either angle was based on, and assumed no one else had either, despite their immense popularity at the times of their release.[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember the BBProject, and I do remember Pirate Paul Birchall. Most of those moments are poor/late attempts to capture pop culture. Even using Kevin Federline was too late in the realm of pop culture. Same with Donald Trump at WM23. Sadly, also the same with Run-DMC at WMV. They're never actually caught up with pop culture, but whether that's an artifact of pop culture not wanting to be associated with pro wrestling or the "Vince McMahon lives on a cultural island" lack of awareness is beyond me. Could be both.

But let's not forget that using current pop culture doesn't always work: see Master P and the No Limit Soldiers in WCW.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Well I hated the way WCW was run into the ground by that point and thought WWE would turn WCW around. At that point I was as a HUGE WWE mark and thought Vince & co. could do no wrong.

It was 2 weeks after WM17 that my faith in them would be shaken and by 2003 it would be almost completely gone.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was a huge WWF fan at the time. Passionately hated WCW. I was completely, unabashedly convinced that Vince McMahon would keep WCW, make it better, build it back up, and compete with himself properly. I even thought so, for a moment, after the "brand split." But around the time Stephanie McMahon and Stone Cold were leading the "Alliance," I was done. The real, major, "fuck this, and fuck the WWE for fooling me into thinking they'd be responsible" moment was Kanyon and DDP vs. Kane and Undertaker in a cage match. If what strokes the egos of WWF management is entertaining TV, that's fine, but coincidental. But I could not be convinced, in the slightest, that booking WCW the way it was could ever be argued to be a financial decision to make them popular. They made no bones about intentionally killing WCW.

The absolute lack of effort they've put into utilizing their wrestling library is also a cultural travesty.

Everything that's been said on this page is *exactly* why I hate to see TNA fuck up so consistently. I wish there was a company that could actually compete with WWE on ANY level... honestly, I have no illusions about anyone truly being on the level of WWE, so I'll take literally the bare minimum at this point.

It's a conversation that I've had with a few people recently... let's be realistic: WWE is not going to recover from this ego-driven creative bankruptcy any time soon. Vince is in charge and not giving that up anytime soon... and when he does, it'll go to Steph and Trips. I can't possibly see any way that'll make it BETTER. If anything, Steph seems to have just as large of an ego as Vince, if not larger. It's really sad, because unless some unknown ass company comes out of nowhere to compete, WWE has no choice but to continue down this road.

At least with the end of WCW, it was just god-awful... there was personality in it. Someone was TRYING, and not necessarily to kill it... but they were striving for something. WWE is nothing but complacent, which I can't decide whether that's worse of not.

It just... it's just so frustrating. I *want* to love wrestling. I play the games, I read the news, I watch the DVDs, I'm in the process of buying a Winged Eagle replica... but I haven't watched weekly wrestling in YEARS. I love the concept of WWE, but the execution is not leaving me with anything to love anymore. A few bright spots (which, oddly, have been involving mainly HBK) can't save 5 hours of weekly programming.

I'm going to stop ranting now.

I don't care if the storylines are bad as long as the wrestling is good.

My problem with TNA is they practice "WORST MOVE EVER SYNDROME" or WMES too much.

Here's the principle behind "Worst Move Ever."

Wrestler A hits Wrestler B with his finisher and covers. It gets two. Wrestler B then instantly recovers. Since the purpose of wrestling is to injure an opponent, Wrestler A's finisher is clearly worthless since it seems to actually heal a wrestler about five seconds after it's applied. Thus, it is the WORST WRESTLING MOVE EVER DONE

Wrestler B then hits his OWN VERSION of the Worst Move Ever, and it gets two. Wrestler A fully recovers and we go to the finish which usually in TNA involves the BEST MOVE EVER... a weapon shot followed by a school boy rollup.

Yes, WWE *occasionally* does such types of finishes. TNA does then EVERY MATCH ON EVERY PAY PER VIEW! The opening match guys do it, the midcard match guys do it, the main event does it. I don't even see why they bother hyping moves anymore because none of them work.

No sense of bitching about Kayfabe being dead when guys are kicking out of moves that should logically kill a person.

Ha. I'll just say that I'm amazed they make the decisions they do as a publicly traded company.

I know why they don't take chances on their programming from a publicly traded company standpoint. Safe, steady, consistent fiscal returns = happy investors.

But to sit on their video library except for their online on-demand service, which generates jack shit for revenues, and on-demand cable, which is an infrequently used service that generate jack shit plus one in revenues, is absurd. I'd demand an explanation (were I vapid enough to invest in WWE). Sure, they bought the *immense* video library for peanuts. Less than peanuts, I'd guess.

But the entry cost isn't the point. It's a guaranteed revenue stream. If I came across something that I could sell over and over again (an entertainment medium), I'd *owe* my shareholders to do just that, no? Whether I paid for it or tripped over it on the sidewalk.

Here's the kicker: WWE trades at around $10.50 right now per share, in 2009 money. They went public in 1999 at $17 a share. It's safe to say that WWE stock, then, is worth less than half of what it was offered at a decade ago. So they're clearly not doing something right on the fiscal end of things.

But you're right. It won't change the "ego first, ego second, ego third, revenue fourth" mantra of how WWE does business. WWE wouldn't host a War Games match if it meant PPV sales of 400,000+. That's a damned FACT.

So, while you want to smack some heads in Connecticut and ask them what the hell they're thinking, you expect egotistical direction in the programming. We've come to be relieved when guys we like are released. We'll get to see Paul London wrestle again, and have fun matches and be treated with dignity on tv! Probably soon to be joined by Colt Cabana. Awesome! I remember being *thrilled* a decade ago when indy guys/wcw guys/ecw guys would jump to the WWF. Now I'm just sad when they do.

What? You think Low Ki's gonna do anything except wrestle "Kung Fu Naki"? The hell kinda mark are you to think he'll be someone who matters in the company? Shit, he'll be gone before St Patty's Day out of his own volition.

Ho ho, I'm Vince McMahon dammit!

I will now spoil the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania 25 Main Event:

Randy Orton wins the Rumble. I know, shocking isn't it. He's assisted by Stephanie McMahon, who proceeds to back Legacy, much in the same way Vince McMahon (dammit) had his Corporation.

This leads to Shane's return, who will question Stephanie's antics, what she did to their father, and ultimately he'll back Cena.

Thus the WM25 main event will be John Cena vs Randy Orton with McMahons in ever corner (again). And you don't have to wait to hear glass breaking to guess who the top choice to ref this match is.

Ultimately WM25 ends with Cena getting his win back for last year, and Austin stunning both McMahon children.

The people will love it, because people love to see McMahons get stunners, ho, ho, I'm Vince McMahon dammit!

I agree with the McMahon backed Legacy, however I think it will now come at the expense of Orton, with probably Stephanie backing Rhodes, Dibiase and i guess Smith. Especially since it was basically Cody Rhodes setting Orton up by saying Steph was going to fire him.

[quote name='mykevermin']Plausible. Very plausible. But it doesn't end with Triple H winning the belt, so I'm highly skeptical.[/QUOTE]

Right... because Triple H, who went from March of 2005 to April of 2008 without a world title reign lasting more then a couple hours demands to win every major match and being the center of every major story... plus he only got there by being the boss' son in law.

Has nothing to do with him being... you know... over.

[quote name='007']Everything that's been said on this page is *exactly* why I hate to see TNA fuck up so consistently. I wish there was a company that could actually compete with WWE on ANY level... honestly, I have no illusions about anyone truly being on the level of WWE, so I'll take literally the bare minimum at this point.

I'm going to stop ranting now.[/QUOTE]

This pisses me off too. I really wanted to support TNA, I watched Impact when it was streaming, thanked the lord that they got a deal with spike and then 2 months later? Started hating them with a passion. Now its been what? 2 or 3 years since then and I honestly could give a shit what they do. I don't know who holds what title, and thats sad considering I could name the last 5 champs for every single title in the WWE -- even the inactive ones -- and I haven't watched wrestling weekly since 2005. TNA is so irrelevant to me right now, they might as well be dead.

[quote name='Vince McMahon']Ho ho, I'm Vince McMahon dammit!

I will now spoil the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania 25 Main Event:

Randy Orton wins the Rumble. I know, shocking isn't it. He's assisted by Stephanie McMahon, who proceeds to back Legacy, much in the same way Vince McMahon (dammit) had his Corporation.

This leads to Shane's return, who will question Stephanie's antics, what she did to their father, and ultimately he'll back Cena.

Thus the WM25 main event will be John Cena vs Randy Orton with McMahons in ever corner (again). And you don't have to wait to hear glass breaking to guess who the top choice to ref this match is.

Ultimately WM25 ends with Cena getting his win back for last year, and Austin stunning both McMahon children.

The people will love it, because people love to see McMahons get stunners, ho, ho, I'm Vince McMahon dammit![/QUOTE]

It's scary, because it more than likely will happen.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Right... because Triple H, who went from March of 2005 to April of 2008 without a world title reign lasting more then a couple hours demands to win every major match and being the center of every major story... plus he only got there by being the boss' son in law.

Has nothing to do with him being... you know... over.[/QUOTE]

And who was STILL the headliner & star of RAW in that time frame? Come on, Triple H is now bigger than either World Title. Seriously a clean win over Trips is the equivelent of winning every title, in every brand, on the same night.

And yeah he's over. He's been over since 2000. Back when he still knew how to work a crowd and did what he did best, the pussy heel. Nowadays he's just another SuperFace that gets the reaction he does because he squashes damn near everyone & is shoved down our collective throats.

I'm a fan of Trips, but him & Cena need to ditch the whole SuperFace thing. Trips was infinitely better as the pussy heel who got his ass whipped, but managed to steal a victory because he outsmarted his foes.

In a perfect world, if I was booking I would put the title on JBL at the Rumble, then do Michaels/JBL for the belt at Wrestlemania. Why?

Make Orton/Cena an undercard match, submission rules, and do a double turn with them ala Bret/Austin. Fans are dying to love Orton and they already flat out hate John Cena. It just makes sense. The way the crowd is reacting to Orton, I think they could make something special of him. The fans are accepting him the same way they accepted Austin or the Rock without any prompting from the storylines. Considering Austin and Rocky were the last two 'super draws' the WWE had, they should really try to recreate that magic the first chance they get, and this is it.

But like whatshisface above me said, they'll have him join with Stephanie McMahon, who is a cup full of hemlock to the ratings. The WWE's answer to every ratings dip is "more McMahons" and I don't see that ending anytime soon.

Wrestlemania is looking pretty bleak this year. I see nothing on the horizon to perk my interest. I said JBL/Michaels for the title only because I see no other options. Fans are sick of Cena and I've seen no proof he's good for ratings. I like him as a wrestler because despite limitations I think he's good at pacing and his comeback timing is fairly spot on... he's just a modern version of Hulk Hogan really, and the formula is a proven winner... but the fans are really done with him. He needs a heel turn and he needs it two years ago.

JBL and Michaels have NO CHEMISTRY together in these skits they're doing. Every single one of them as been a sleeping pill. I've never been able to tolerate JBL as a wrestler and despite revisionist history I think his entire reign as WWE Champion was an abomination in quality and in ratings/buyrates and I can't believe they keep going back to him.

I can't picture Triple H and Edge having a good match because they're styles strike me as being incompatible with eachother.

Christian Cage vs. Jeff Hardy... I think Christian is one of the most overrated wrestlers out there and I was happy when he was in TNA so he didn't have to stink up the WWE with his forced promos and phoned in matches. Jeff Hardy requires a special type of talent to carry him to a good match, and Christian is not it.

Jericho was on a roll in 2008, so naturally they have nothing on the table for him at this time. They'll likely stick him in Money in the Bank.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Undertaker win the Rumble and challenge Cena at this point. They need some major matchup to headline the show, because JBL/Michaels or Edge/Triple H is not going to do it.

Not loving the build to Wrestlemania at all.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Right... because Triple H, who went from March of 2005 to April of 2008 without a world title reign lasting more then a couple hours demands to win every major match and being the center of every major story... plus he only got there by being the boss' son in law.

Has nothing to do with him being... you know... over.[/QUOTE]

Your implication here is "37 straight months," but what's it actually look like when you take out the time he was injured for blowin' up a quad again?

I really wish there was competition. I think, eventually, either TNA will get fixed, or someone will start something that can compete. There is money in professional wrestling, and whenever there is money, there is someone smart enough to get it (as Vince was years ago, using Andre the Giant).

I don't blame Vince though for the downfall of WCW. I think it's obvious that Vince truely hated WCW. He hated the very core of the company. That hatred is part of what drove the Attitude era. That being said, you can't hate something to the core, every breath thinking of ways to destroy something, and thne turn that switch off when you buy it. He bought it to destroy it, to live out his sick fantasies. The "invasion" angle was Vince's dream come true. It sucked for fans, but Vince enjoyed it.

What we need is another milionaire to get into the business that will drive Vince nuts again, either way its win/win. Heck, it could even be TNA if they could lure a couple of big names from WWE. Imagine Orton, Edge, Morrison, and Kofi Kingston leaving and going to TNA. I know that would catch my attention.

Personally I think Edge retires whenever his WWE tenure ends, what more could he accomplish by going to TNA?

You absolutely know TNA would push those guys for about 3-4 months, give them a title match, then do absolutely nothing with them for 2 years straight

Televised wrestling sucked fat dick after AOL/Time-Warner sold WCW and after ECW folded.

Which is ironic, since WCW Nitro and Thunder were some of the most abysmal wrestling programs imaginable.

"TONIGHT IS THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! STAY TUNED FOR LANCE STORM VERSUS RENO IN A MATCH WITH 500 STIPULATIONS ON A POLE!"

Come to think of it, WWE doesn't do "____ on a pole" matches at *all*, do they? I can't think of the last time I saw one. Maybe a contract or some shit?

We won't see 'Taker/Cena at WM. 'Taker's the most over guy in the company right now (more so than Cena, HHH, Orton, HBK, and anyone else you can think of), and putting him in the ring with Cena ensures that Cena gets booed. Undertaker would have to dropkick little Aurora Levesque into the third row to get heel heat at this point, and it damn sure isn't going to happen at Wrestlemania. While it's interesting to consider Cena ending the Deadman's streak, I really don't think it's going to happen despite 'Taker's limited ring time.

Gossip sites have made a huge deal out of Austin's HOF induction and the fact that 'Mania is in Texas. They've completely ignored that Undertaker is from Houston these days as well.

[quote name='JJSP']Undertaker would have to dropkick little Aurora Levesque into the third row[/QUOTE]

That would redefine the "Road Warrior Pop."

[quote name='mykevermin']Come to think of it, WWE doesn't do "____ on a pole" matches at *all*, do they? I can't think of the last time I saw one. Maybe a contract or some shit?[/QUOTE]Recently, they did some silly bit with giant fuzzy dice on a pole, to determine a #1 contender for the Divas belt... yeah

[quote name='mykevermin']Which is ironic, since WCW Nitro and Thunder were some of the most abysmal wrestling programs imaginable.

"TONIGHT IS THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! STAY TUNED FOR LANCE STORM VERSUS RENO IN A MATCH WITH 500 STIPULATIONS ON A POLE!"

Come to think of it, WWE doesn't do "____ on a pole" matches at *all*, do they? I can't think of the last time I saw one. Maybe a contract or some shit?[/QUOTE]
WCW Nitro was golden from 1996 - 1998, in my opinion.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Recently, they did some silly bit with giant fuzzy dice on a pole, to determine a #1 contender for the Divas belt... yeah[/QUOTE]

fuzzy dice? sounds like someone (1) forgot to pick out what to put on the pole until 45 seconds before the match, or (2) found a trunk of Eddie Guerrero stuff on a WWE truck.

[quote name='Brak']WCW Nitro was golden from 1996 - 1998, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Maybe they get a hard shake, because at the time they were sinking, they got even more and more bizzare (visions of Vince Russo in a popemobile, David Arquette as the champ, three-tiered cage matches, Fat Chick Thriller Mike Awesome, etc. abound). But also because if the show sucked, it was okay to change the channel to find another wrestling product. DIRECT competition. So they couldn't afford to have anything suck. If the show sucks now, we can't turn on another wrestling show (but if 30 Rock ever moves to Monday nights, WWE will be quickly forgotten in the Murder household).

We'd find something about WWE/TNA to like if Raw and Impact were on at the same time. Might be better for both shows on the whole, you know? I'm thinking of this right now b/c I wonder how we would react to the current WWE product if there were another wrestling show on Mondays from 9-11. (or 8:57PM! ;)) Would we like it better, see it as worse, or what?

No direct competition, no *close* competition, no radical changes or shakeups.

But, sure, when Nitro was hot, it was hot.

See, I disagree on Taker... I think it would be fairly easy to turn him heel. In fact, I sort of think he *needs* to go heel again real soon. He's starting to fall into that 'active legend' category that I hate where it's easy to get them pops, so WWE won't take the chance on a heel turn. It's what I've called the HBK problem... since his return, no matter what HBK has done, he generally gets cheered. Though he's recently started to break out of that with the best storylines that WWE has done in over a decade, the past few years for him have been dull. He showed signs of life against Hogan when he acted heel, but still got pops. I still don't understand why they didn't commit to a heel turn against Cena for the run-up to Mania (since Cena obviously wasn't going heel). Old HBK was a natural heel... new HBK isn't.

Taker, however, is and always will be a natural heel. The Deadman being a face doesn't really work, but that's the issue with WWE booking. It shouldn't be the FACES that are the dominant characters with the HEELS having to overcome overwhelming odds to beat them. Top 3 face superstars? Cena, Taker, HHH. All, essentially, supermen. Top 3 heels? ... Edge? Orton? Jericho? ... Edge and Jericho are the cowardly heels, and Orton is almost a tweener at this point. All 3, however, are too easily beaten. Put any of the 3 faces against any one of the heels... which one would you put money on to come out on top at a major PPV?

I've really strayed from point here.... anyway, yeah, Taker would have to do something major, but turning him heel wouldn't be as big of an issue. Problem is, he's a 'legend' now, and god forbid we have a heel legend.

Taker would probably have to stab Jeff Hardy to death to get heel heat at this point, although he did a pretty good job at being a heel (bad music and booger red aside) when he turned last time.

[quote name='diddy310']Taker would probably have to stab Jeff Hardy to death to get heel heat at this point, although he did a pretty good job at being a heel (bad music and booger red aside) when he turned last time.[/QUOTE]Haha it was such a weird atmosphere when he won undisputed belt from Hulk Hogan and had that weird music for the first time.
We also got this:
5a9104702b16c2ba6842bc8da806968e151.gif

His previous heel stint (the evil Amishtaker and his Ministry) supplied some good moments too!
xgbkic.gif

But alas, Cena ain't the Rock, as much as they want him to be! I have to agree that there's no way they could get Cena cheered if he went against 'Taker.

bread's done
Back