The Real Ghostbusters coming to DVD in massive 26-disc set (sorry, Slimer!, too)

fedex tracking shows that it is 40 min away from me, as of 6 hours ago! I hope the delivery doesn't require a signature because no one is home during the day, hmm...

[quote name='gryphter']fedex tracking shows that it is 40 min away from me, as of 6 hours ago! I hope the delivery doesn't require a signature because no one is home during the day, hmm...[/quote]

gryphter, tell me about it! I was thinking that too. I DREAD going to the facility to pick up packages, always such a dramarama near me, LOL. I had a HTIB that they would not deliver years ago-it took over 2 hrs to pick it up,because low and behold it was during the holidays, yikes!

Blah, I didn't get it. They didn't try delivering it either, est delivery date says tomorrow anyways. I did however receive an email:

Dear Gryphter,

Our records indicate that the status of your order has changed.
Please see below for details regarding your current order status.

You can always check on the status of your order by clicking here
to view your account. See current shipping details below.

If you have any questions after receiving your order,
please contact us either via email or call toll free at 1-800-950-7887
between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., EST, Monday through Sunday.

Thank you for shopping with us. We appreciate your business and
look forward to hearing from you again! Account number: xxxxxxxxxx

Order Details
Product: THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS
Product Number: 480023388X
Unit Price*: 161.99
Quantity: 1

Sincerely,
Time Life Customer Care

PLEASE READ:For those tracking it via UPS... Please use the tracking number at FedEx.com. Timelife shipped it via FedEx and NOT UPS
The Real Ghostbusters Steelbook Set
Xage Style:

GBUSTERS00.jpg

GBUSTERS01.jpg

GBUSTERS02.jpg

GBUSTERS03.jpg

GBUSTERS04.jpg

GBUSTERS05.jpg

GBUSTERS06.jpg

Just got my set too and I could not be any happier about my purchase! This set was put together so well and I recommend it to anyone out there who may still be on the fence about purchasing it. Don't wait for the gimped out store bundles, which won't include any of the fancy packaging materials! After watching a few episodes, it's just a great treat to remember how awesome cartoons used to be!

got mine! fedex left it at my door, I didn't have to sign for it. I'm reluctant to take the shrink wrap off, this set is a masterpiece, lol! I'm half way through opening it already though

[quote name='gryphter']got mine! fedex left it at my door, I didn't have to sign for it. I'm reluctant to take the shrink wrap off, this set is a masterpiece, lol! I'm half way through opening it already though[/quote]

Got mine too, love it!!!:)

I always check all my discs to make sure they're all there (for example, no two disc 4's when there should be a disc 3 and disc 4), and also to make sure floaters don't have scratches all over them.

So I just called the Customer Service line and the lady said my order was already shipped. I asked for the tracking number and she said that there was no tracking provided for standard shipping. #-o

I told her that I had FedEx 2 day Express and she looked and she was like "Oh well this says that you have it through UPS and you should received it within 3-5 business days." :whistle2:|

[quote name='E-Z-B']I always check all my discs to make sure they're all there (for example, no two disc 4's when there should be a disc 3 and disc 4), and also to make sure floaters don't have scratches all over them.[/QUOTE]

Good tip.

The Slimer and Ghosty lentiular details don't animate properly. :(
It's odd, but if i view them with one eye they look fine.

Loving the set!

Received mine today as well. I came home late from work but fortunately, FedEx left it at my front door. I was very relieved since I had no intention of driving down to the main office. Opened it right away and took everything out of the shrinkwrap. I'll be watching some episodes tonight! Ah, nostalgia. (Now if only they did something like this with TMNT.)

Got mine this afternoon. Can't wait to watch some over the Thanksgiving weekend! Weird thing was, out of the five steelbooks, only three of them were shrink wrapped (Seasons 4 & 5 were unwrapped). The only thing that seems wrong with them is that the disc art on disc 1 of season 5 is kinda blurry, but that's it. Anyone else encounter these strange anomalies?

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']So I just called the Customer Service line and the lady said my order was already shipped. I asked for the tracking number and she said that there was no tracking provided for standard shipping. #-o

I told her that I had FedEx 2 day Express and she looked and she was like "Oh well this says that you have it through UPS and you should received it within 3-5 business days." :whistle2:|[/quote]

King of Old-when you go into your account, it will say "UPS". But do you see any number, at all? If so, use the number and plug it into FEDEX. If you don't see anything, your order may not have received the free 2 day upgrade for some reason. From what people have posted, there seemed to be a lot of ongoing "confusion" of how the orders appeared in the system, delays, and some inconsistency from customer service's comments. I hope you receive your order soon!

Sariena

[quote name='sarienanj']King of Old-when you go into your account, it will say "UPS". But do you see any number, at all? If so, use the number and plug it into FEDEX. If you don't see anything, your order may not have received the free 2 day upgrade for some reason. From what people have posted, there seemed to be a lot of ongoing "confusion" of how the orders appeared in the system, delays, and some inconsistency from customer service's comments. I hope you receive your order soon!

Sariena
[/quote]

No.

My account still says "In the warehouse to ship" that's why I had to call.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']No.

My account still says "In the warehouse to ship" that's why I had to call.[/quote]

Hey King-that thinks-sorry I didn't realize it had not even left yet. Good Luck!

Whoa! .. a lot got problems from payment, shipment and even receiving the product.

Thank goodness mine went flawless from DAY 1 - got it way below the original cost of $180 - and had the opportunity posting the details of the set early .

Lucky Me!

[quote name='capybara554321']so i got mine today and checked my account online and they only charged me 65.50???[/quote]

They probably gave you an installment plan.

Now that many of you are watching the episodes, could you give your honest opinion of the picture quality? Please be sure to include on what size of television you're watching the cartoons on.

As for me, I've been through quite a couple already and on my 55" tv, I must admit that the PQ has a lot to be desired. For a show over 20 years old, I'm happy, but seeing as how each episode was suppost to be "digitally restored and remastered", I was expecting more of a clean-up job for this series.

All in all, it's still a quality set that no fan should be without. I doubt we'll ever get better, but am just wondering if anyone else is a bit letdown by how the episodes look.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']Now that many of you are watching the episodes, could you give your honest opinion of the picture quality? Please be sure to include on what size of television you're watching the cartoons on.

As for me, I've been through quite a couple already and on my 55" tv, I must admit that the PQ has a lot to be desired. For a show over 20 years old, I'm happy, but seeing as how each episode was suppost to be "digitally restored and remastered", I was expecting more of a clean-up job for this series.

All in all, it's still a quality set that no fan should be without. I doubt we'll ever get better, but am just wondering if anyone else is a bit letdown by how the episodes look.[/quote]

Robness, I agree with you. I'm watching on my 360 through HDMI, on a 720p 32" LCD. Great to have the set, but I was let down by the quality a little

I had the feeling that people would say something like this when they started watching the dvd's.

Digital Restored is not what it use to be these days...

Now it's a marketing term that means, it's been dumped into a compressed codec. Cleaning up each episode would cost mega $$$. That cost would be passed down to us.

I have YET to see 1 cartoon from the 80's that looks AMAZING on an HDTV. I don't expect it because these things were never made to be played on an HDTV. I am sure it looks ok/good on a SDTV.

Now I will just wait til the reviews come in.

You're right, but obviously the quality is not going to be HD quality. I think the best remastered 80s cartoon is He-man. Those who experience HD after HD are going to be spoiled now. Heck Dvds in general don't look good to us anymore. Now it has to be HD or nothing for us to be satisfied.

Just be happy with the awesome set and that we finally have it. Plus it beats watching them on your VHS.

[quote name='i cube']

Just be happy with the awesome set and that we finally have it. Plus it beats watching them on your VHS.[/quote]

I agree! and this set was def worth it IMO

[quote name='ITDEFX']I had the feeling that people would say something like this when they started watching the dvd's.

Now it's a marketing term that means, it's been dumped into a compressed codec. Cleaning up each episode would cost mega $$$. That cost would be passed down to us.

I have YET to see 1 cartoon from the 80's that looks AMAZING on an HDTV. I don't expect it because these things were never made to be played on an HDTV. I am sure it looks ok/good on a SDTV.

Now I will just wait til the reviews come in.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

No complaints here. The show looks great on my 42" HDTV...

no complaints whatsoever here. i'm watching them on my 40" samsung...i think they look great. especially for a 20 year old cartoon. but even if it wasn't a 20 year old cartoon, still think it looks great. HD no, but then again, they're not in HD. watching them in a blu ray player via hdmi.

I am sure if the company got a hold of the original negatives or tapes and they were preserved properly all these years (rarely as most studios do a piss poor job with preservation do to money issues), it could have been remastered for HD... Still haven't seen a web site with a full review yet.

The set's really nice. They did a really good job putting it together. I haven't been able to watch an espisode yet tho. My gf won't let me without her being present. lol sucks. :( but really glad I bit on this despite the hefty price. It's worth it IMO being that I was a huge fan back as a kid. brings back some good memories. Can't wait for the game to be released on the 360 either! :)

ya i have only watched the pilot and the first ep with and without commentary. and i know what you mean im behind on so many shows since my girlfriend wants to watch them also

[quote name='BelieveTheHype']The set's really nice. They did a really good job putting it together. I haven't been able to watch an espisode yet tho. My gf won't let me without her being present. lol sucks. :( but really glad I bit on this despite the hefty price. It's worth it IMO being that I was a huge fan back as a kid. brings back some good memories. Can't wait for the game to be released on the 360 either! :)[/QUOTE]

Nice to know I'm not the only one that's way behind on my viewing because of the g/f. It would help if she weren't taping two episodes of Night Court every morning, since we have to keep watching those to keep the cable box from filling up. Then again, it's Night Court, so it's definitely some quality viewing. :)

I'm hoping somebody can answer this. I seem to remember an episode where they were stuck without their packs for some reason, they ended up piecing together a single pack to use, which didn't last long. I can't remember what episode it was.

[quote name='JolietJake']I'm hoping somebody can answer this. I seem to remember an episode where they were stuck without their packs for some reason, they ended up piecing together a single pack to use, which didn't last long. I can't remember what episode it was.[/quote]

I think you're thinking of Citizen Ghost. It's the one that takes place after the events of the first movie.

Basically, Peter leaves the crew's jumpsuits that were contaminated by the Stay Puft Marshmallow man in the storage area where the containment unit is. When enough "energy" is given off by the jumpsuits, ghost versions of the team pop up and steal the packs. That's where they find the extra pack in the firehouse, and eventually Slimer ends up saving the day.

Just watched that one the other day, so it was fresh on my mind...

Possibly, but it seems like they had to build this one, and from parts that weren't exactly state of the art. Maybe i'm thinking of another show.

[quote name='JolietJake']Possibly, but it seems like they had to build this one, and from parts that weren't exactly state of the art. Maybe i'm thinking of another show.[/quote]

I think you may be thinking of the New Orleans episode. If I remember correctly, they gotta put together a make-shift pack because they're on vacation and set it to self-destruct or something. Does that ring any bells for you?

[quote name='theego204']I think you're thinking of Citizen Ghost. It's the one that takes place after the events of the first movie.

Basically, Peter leaves the crew's jumpsuits that were contaminated by the Stay Puft Marshmallow man in the storage area where the containment unit is. When enough "energy" is given off by the jumpsuits, ghost versions of the team pop up and steal the packs. That's where they find the extra pack in the firehouse, and eventually Slimer ends up saving the day.

Just watched that one the other day, so it was fresh on my mind...[/quote]

Wrong...

That episode is actually on the ghost busters 2 re-release that was part of that two pack thin pack a few years ago.

In that episode Peter leaves the old contaminated suits (from the battle with Gozer) next to the old containment field and some ghosts took possession of them and copied the ghost busters. It was slimer who distracted them long enough to were them down so the gb's could trap them in the end. In the end Slimer was the hero on the tv special with the chick.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']I think you may be thinking of the New Orleans episode. If I remember correctly, they gotta put together a make-shift pack because they're on vacation and set it to self-destruct or something. Does that ring any bells for you?[/quote]
Ah yes, i think that's it. I do remember it blowing up. Just need to figure out the season and episode title.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I had the feeling that people would say something like this when they started watching the dvd's.

Now I will just wait til the reviews come in.[/QUOTE]

actually In japan they just digitally remastered Gunbuster and Bubblegum crisis from the 80's. They use similar production quality as ghostbusters cause ghostbusters and most 80's cartoons like thundercats and transformers were animated in japan (that's when japan was like china). They look pretty good in 1080p blu-ray. They look like moving animation cels instead of cartoons now. the lines are very clean and crisp. too bad that no studio will do this for their catalog cause most of the source is on video while in japan most of the original film is kept. It's pretty ridiculous that animation is very labor intensive and in the 80's all they did was shoot them onto video. You can obviously see the difference when you see a old warner bros cartoon that was shot on film in the 30's looking better than 80's cartoons shot on video. I'm really dissapointed in Disney's 90's cartoons though. how the hell can ducktales and gummii bears look that bad? it's disney for godsakes. they should know better being they are masters of animation and all. Can you imagine if they shot ducktales on film?

Well it all depends on where they get the masters from...if they got it on film somewhere, then your good...however if they got it on video, then there is a problem. Well actually both can be a problem. I read somewhere years back that video is CHEAPER to archive than film. Film starts falling apart after awhile and it's a bitch to preserve it and costs studio a lot of money to just sit in a vault for years. Anyways my guess is that Ducktales was processed to film, then post edited to video...the original negatives MUST be beyond salvaging, but the video is still available and that's what they probably used for the dvd. Even that gets wonky after awhile.

Could be wrong on this though.

Bottom line is that the studios need a good reason why they should preserve these classic cartoons and spend the money to do so...fan support isn't enough.

[quote name='sparklecopy']actually In japan they just digitally remastered Gunbuster and Bubblegum crisis from the 80's. They use similar production quality as ghostbusters cause ghostbusters and most 80's cartoons like thundercats and transformers were animated in japan (that's when japan was like china). They look pretty good in 1080p blu-ray. They look like moving animation cels instead of cartoons now. the lines are very clean and crisp. too bad that no studio will do this for their catalog cause most of the source is on video while in japan most of the original film is kept. It's pretty ridiculous that animation is very labor intensive and in the 80's all they did was shoot them onto video. You can obviously see the difference when you see a old warner bros cartoon that was shot on film in the 30's looking better than 80's cartoons shot on video. I'm really dissapointed in Disney's 90's cartoons though. how the hell can ducktales and gummii bears look that bad? it's disney for godsakes. they should know better being they are masters of animation and all. Can you imagine if they shot ducktales on film?[/quote]

bread's done
Back