The Real Ghostbusters coming to DVD in massive 26-disc set (sorry, Slimer!, too)

I paid over $150 for this set and am upset that the collection is tainted by the aforementioned glitches. Does anyone know if there is going to be a recall or at least be issuing out replacement discs? If you ever hear of such a thing, please bump this thread so the rest of us can keep up to date if a replacement program is ever offered.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']I paid over $150 for this set and am upset that the collection is tainted by the aforementioned glitches. Does anyone know if there is going to be a recall or at least be issuing out replacement discs? If you ever hear of such a thing, please bump this thread so the rest of us can keep up to date if a replacement program is ever offered.[/quote]

Well if the company that did the release works hard to resolve the issue and does a replacement program, then you should be ok. However...if the original masters are damaged beyond repair, then you might be shit out of luck. There should have been a warning either on the disc or in an insert concerning this matter.

Hopefully a resolution can be found to this problem.

Has anyone actually watched the bonus features yet? Any thoughts on how good of a job they did or was it just a few minutes of fluff and nothing interesting?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Has anyone actually watched the bonus features yet? Any thoughts on how good of a job they did or was it just a few minutes of fluff and nothing interesting?[/QUOTE]

I watched the interviews with 3 or the voice actors. It was somewhat informative, but not terribly so.

I think problem with old shows like this, is that the studios don't or at least didn't give a shit about them. They're just a bunch of old cartoons they thought would never be worth anything. They never imagined the widespread release of TV shows on dvd in the future.

[quote name='JolietJake']I think problem with old shows like this, is that the studios don't or at least didn't give a shit about them. They're just a bunch of old cartoons they thought would never be worth anything. They never imagined the widespread release of TV shows on dvd in the future.[/quote]

Nor the Cult following that occurred for decades! ;)

I am wondering if the music has been edited for this release... You know these studios love to edit these shows because they don't want to pay royalty fees.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']I paid over $150 for this set and am upset that the collection is tainted by the aforementioned glitches. Does anyone know if there is going to be a recall or at least be issuing out replacement discs? If you ever hear of such a thing, please bump this thread so the rest of us can keep up to date if a replacement program is ever offered.[/quote]

We spent over three trillion dollars going to the moon and NASA lost the footage, so frankly you are fucked and need to live with it the fact a few cartoon episodes are messed up.

[quote name='bigdaddy']We spent over three trillion dollars going to the moon and NASA lost the footage, so frankly you are fucked and need to live with it the fact a few cartoon episodes are messed up.[/quote]

Wait, which episodes are affected? I am starting to remember there were quite a few I didn't care much for. That Rose bud episode and the ghostbuster kids episodes comes to mind :bomb:

I caved in and ordered it with a coupon (15% off and 5 dollar shipping). Got it last night. The episodes still crack me up to this day. Yea I can see how some of the episodes don't fare to well these days. For example Disc 3 (rag time boos?) is DARK, like someone reduced the brightness of the overall episode. Oh well. The interviews are ok... Video Commentaries are boring and too distracting (two groups of people on left and right, small window of the episode on the lower right and a picture scene of whatever on the lower left. Then what appears to be a blurred version of the actual episode in the actual background.

I think it's worth having all the episodes in steelbook cases housed in the firehouse box. Just be prepared to see all the flaws that we ignored when we originally saw it over 20 years ago. But it's worth it. :)

I think most of the time marketing has no clue (or cares) why people want something, they just see the dollar amount and throw it out there. It's rare that there is actually any love for the material....and it shows.
It's a different form I know, but I wish all companies put forth the effort that Working Designs did with their games. Imagine if all "collector's editions" were of this quality. :)

[quote name='JolietJake']I think problem with old shows like this, is that the studios don't or at least didn't give a shit about them. They're just a bunch of old cartoons they thought would never be worth anything. They never imagined the widespread release of TV shows on dvd in the future.[/QUOTE]

ok...some more thoughts now that I am on volume 3.

The show seems to go from great to ok/funny (Slimer's/Peter's antics) once JMS leaves the show. The whole super natural thing with some background history takes a backstep once he is gone and you can tell almost immediatly. The music also changes as well... goes to mostly non lyrics after JMS leaves...hmmm..

I have yet to hit the Sam'hane (sp?) returns episode or the ghostbusters kids episode. I have also yet to hit the Slimer and TRGB episodes, which I plan to actually SKIP because I hated that series so bad even as a kid.

The animators did a GREAT job with the characters, espically with Janine. She looks cute in that blue skirt.... nice legs :drool:!

Overall pretty good so far. It's taken me about 3 damn weeks to get this far, but it's better to have these many episodes than just a handful of episodes (13-22 episodes).

I'm just wondering if anybody would recommend this set. I've been contemplating it for a few days and still don't know if I should get.

Using promo code "tlshare" you get 17% off and 99cent shipping making it 150.ish

I've read some of the comments some of you have left which has left me to question it but I was a big fan when I was kid.

Thanks

BTW you can use that code on anything on a single item on items over $90 and expires 8/4 12midnight est.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skiizim']I'm just wondering if anybody would recommend this set. I've been contemplating it for a few days and still don't know if I should get.

Using promo code "tlshare" you get 17% off and 99cent shipping making it 150.ish

I've read some of the comments some of you have left which has left me to question it but I was a big fan when I was kid.

Thanks

BTW you can use that code on anything on a single item on items over $90 and expires 8/4 12midnight est.[/QUOTE]

AFSUMMER is 20% and free shipping bringing the total to 143.xx. I intend to get the set once I'm working again but I hear great things about it.

AFSUMMER lasts till 8/18.

[quote name='Fatbot3']That's awesome. I can certainly wait until then.[/QUOTE]
I already pre-ordered to lock in the price. This seems so much cheaper than TL ever sold it, I'm curious as to how much BB et al will have it at? I'm glad it is coming through other channels though, TL was just too pricey for me.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Hopefully, they price it cheaper than that.

I'd love to buy the set (this was one of my two favorite cartoons growing up), but I'm worried it'll be priced beyond what I can afford.[/QUOTE]

Timelife says its gonna be 179.00

[quote name='BasketCase1080']damn... if this was a hundred id buy it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I love ghostbusters but it's hard for me to justify spending that kind of money.

Well it's well worth the price if you ask me!

Until you reach the slimer and real ghostbusters episodes (I think it's vol 4) and they change Peter's voice and give Slimer more kiddie screen time. :(

I tried to watch the slimer episodes, but I couldn't stand Peter's voice.

Finally got my copy in today after months and months of waiting!!!! Amazon Pre-Order Price @$113.49. Now I have to Pre-Order Transformers & GI Joe.

[quote name='kawikabot']Found this at a local record store for 59.99 used. So Awesome.[/QUOTE]

Now, that's a price I could live with. You sir are one lucky devil.

bread's done
Back