The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

Why is it everybody who starts a thread gets banned?

Anyway, I picked this up on a lark from Best Buy for $10 because it uses the balance board.

nintendo-wii-go-play-circus-star.jpg

Has anybody played it? It looked good was cheap and could be an exercise game, that's why I picked it up.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Anyone know of any good games for a four year old? I saw Javery mention Lego Batman and thought that might be good.[/QUOTE]

son is all about the cookie monster/ elmo and grover game

Any good 2 player game with a beat-em up style? I've tried Samurai Warriors 3, but the split screen sort of ruins it.

Well, I picked up a bunch of Wii rail shooters (Dead Space, HOTD Overkill, RE chronicles games, etc.). Would anyone recommend me a good gun shell? Or is the default wiimote/nunchuk the best control scheme?

So far, I was looking at the Zapper, Nyko Perfect Shot, and the Nerf Switchshot.

The Nyko has a layout that mimics a pistol and feels natural for light gun games. The trigger feels firm when you pull it and the perfect shot has a built in plug to re-route the nun-chuck port so the whole setup makes sense.

The Zapper is crappy attempt to throw some cheap plastic together and call it a gun. The nun-chuck is located in the back of the Zapper, which means the trigger you will be using for most games is the forward trigger. It's small for anyone other than a child, and feels terribly awkward.

The easiest way for me to explain why the Zapper is awful is this: take your hands and make two fists, line them in front of you by putting your trigger finger hand in front of the other hand by about 4 inches, now imagine holding your hands in that position to play a game. The Nyko allows you to hold the controller separate like you would with a wiimote + nun-chuck combo, it's just that you're holding a pistol shape instead of the wii-mote.

Look at some pictures, you'll be able to see what I mean.

If you are lucky, you might be able to find some Perfect Shots on clearance. I picked up a camo one on clearance at Target a couple of weeks ago for $7.49.

[quote name='blindinglights']The Nyko has a layout that mimics a pistol and feels natural for light gun games. The trigger feels firm when you pull it and the perfect shot has a built in plug to re-route the nun-chuck port so the whole setup makes sense.

The Zapper is crappy attempt to throw some cheap plastic together and call it a gun. The nun-chuck is located in the back of the Zapper, which means the trigger you will be using for most games is the forward trigger. It's small for anyone other than a child, and feels terribly awkward.

The easiest way for me to explain why the Zapper is awful is this: take your hands and make two fists, line them in front of you by putting your trigger finger hand in front of the other hand by about 4 inches, now imagine holding your hands in that position to play a game. The Nyko allows you to hold the controller separate like you would with a wiimote + nun-chuck combo, it's just that you're holding a pistol shape instead of the wii-mote.

Look at some pictures, you'll be able to see what I mean.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the detailed explanation. A couple more questions. Is the Perfect Shot front heavy? I also keep hearing how it's a tight fit for Wiimotes and it tends to shave off some of the Wiimote's plastic. Also, I keep hearing that the trigger finger becomes tired since it's a spring trigger as opposed to a soft one.

[quote name='TheLongshot']If you are lucky, you might be able to find some Perfect Shots on clearance. I picked up a camo one on clearance at Target a couple of weeks ago for $7.49.[/QUOTE]
That most likely will not be an option for me. I live in a fairly dense area so chances are clearance is cleaned out.

Also, if anyone has tried the Nerf Switch Shot (most likely not), I'd like some opinions on that as some people are saying that one is secretly good. Plus... it shoots Nerf!

[quote name='BrentronD']Thanks for the detailed explanation. A couple more questions. Is the Perfect Shot front heavy? I also keep hearing how it's a tight fit for Wiimotes and it tends to shave off some of the Wiimote's plastic. Also, I keep hearing that the trigger finger becomes tired since it's a spring trigger as opposed to a soft one.

That most likely will not be an option for me. I live in a fairly dense area so chances are clearance is cleaned out.

Also, if anyone has tried the Nerf Switch Shot (most likely not), I'd like some opinions on that as some people are saying that one is secretly good. Plus... it shoots Nerf![/QUOTE]

I've never noticed and weight/balance issues with the perfect shot. I find it to be a comfortable weight, unlike the Zapper which is too light in my opinion. The Perfect Shot does have a snug fit on the wiimote, but it that hasn't caused me any problems so far and it hasn't done any real damage to the controllers -- maybe just a small scuff. As far as the trigger goes, I don't tend to play gun games for extended (more than an hour) sessions, so it's never been a problem. It is much better than the squishy feel of the zapper.

I have the switch shot as well, it is also much better than the Zapper (pistol configuration, decent trigger), but I still prefer the Nyko.

for what it's worth this late in the game I played both Dead Space and Overkill with WiiMote both games I enjoyed immensely

I actually got the Wii Zapper with LCBT. It was just uncomfortable and pointless. Luckily the game could not, for some reason, load (kept getting error message/black scrreen). So I was able to return it. I need to stop thinking of the Wii as a light gun system, and just accept the wiimote/sensor bar.

Games just seem to play better with the default wiimote/nunchuck.

I played a little Dead Space with my brother, however the story/beginning was a little drawn out. Definitely not one of those jump in and play right away games. I'll have to revisit it but single player instead. However, we had a blast (no pun intended...) with Ghost Squad. Overkill is still my favorite rail shooter (very funny, not too hectic), though the language keeps me from enjoying it with younger players...

Pretty much agreed on both games.

Dead Space is a good game but it's not at ALL a jump in game. I've heard people complain about the lack of story in DS so I guess they put all the story into DS:E. It had a good story imo. Drawn out? Perhaps a little as you say, though I didn't notice it myself.

Overkill is fantastic and easy to get in but there's pretty much no way to play it with kids which kinda sucks. I'm thinking about it now and outside of maybe the last level and the nip slip. I wonder if you could work it with just turning the voices all the way down. You'd still have the music and the game effects. I forget if there's extreme cursing in the menus.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Pretty much agreed on both games.

Dead Space is a good game but it's not at ALL a jump in game. I've heard people complain about the lack of story in DS so I guess they put all the story into DS:E. It had a good story imo. Drawn out? Perhaps a little as you say, though I didn't notice it myself.

Overkill is fantastic and easy to get in but there's pretty much no way to play it with kids which kinda sucks. I'm thinking about it now and outside of maybe the last level and the nip slip. I wonder if you could work it with just turning the voices all the way down. You'd still have the music and the game effects. I forget if there's extreme cursing in the menus.[/QUOTE]
Oh... there definitely is cursing in the menus. There's that whole "This game is fucking delicious... A street side hooker said..." etc.

I actually got the Nerf Switchshot, because as sad as it sounds, I'm starting a small collection of nerf guns (hopefully for HvZ). The stock gun shoots further than most other guns and as well as the nitefinder. Unfortunately, haven't tried playing with it with the Wii. When I do get around I'll post some impressions. The handle is a little short, and your pinky may be left hanging if your hands are wide/large. The trigger is not spring loaded, however the travel distance and ease of firing is short and easy.

Hey guys, though this thread had been dead for a year now, I'll give it a shot:

I'm thinking about buying a Wii for my parents (~50, mom plays teris-like games a lot, dad likes sports and fishing), who are non-native English speakers (so as little reading/instructions as possible)

I'm definitely getting Wii sports and sports resort, but really don't know what else

Specifically, are there any other "collection" of "compilation" of mini games (like Popcap games)?
Any other suggestions are welcome too

many thanks

i'd also add wii play and wii play motion for simple quick games. You should be able to pick these up real cheap at this point. Try to find the motion plus controllers so they don't have to fiddle with the accessory.

Can anyone recommend any good light gun games? The only two that I have that are remotely similar to light gun games are Sin and Punishment Star Successor and Link's Crossbow Training. lol

Can anyone recommend any good light gun games? The only two that I have that are remotely similar to light gun games are Sin and Punishment Star Successor and Link's Crossbow Training. lol
Ghost Squad

Gunblade NYC & LA Machine Guns

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

House of the Dead Overkill

Dead Space: Extraction

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

There are more, but those are the most notable in my opinion. Other games like Wii Play, Wii Play Motion and Boom Blox have light gun type side games, but nothing major.

EDIT: Also I forgot about Elebits, which is kinda sorta a light gun game as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now that I'm amassing this huge Wii collection I figured I should start playing some more of them. And if you would have told me that I would be having more fun with Cate West: The Vanishing Files than Epic Mickey (could only make it 2 hours. The controls and camera are absymal and I didn't feel like fighting a game for another 13 or so hours to finish it), Dead Space Extraction (a good game but I like all 3 of the main series more) or Klonoa (once again a good game but a little dated, and I rarely skip cutscenes but I had to on this one. They put me to sleep) I would have called you crazy.

So I just stumbled on to this page and was hoping for some help from the group. I still have my old wii no plans to upgrade. And was looking for some recommendation on what to buy for games from the wii shop channel...also anyone know a good place to buy the wii points?

So I just stumbled on to this page and was hoping for some help from the group. I still have my old wii no plans to upgrade. And was looking for some recommendation on what to buy for games from the wii shop channel...also anyone know a good place to buy the wii points?
Final Fantasy 6 I play it every year on my SNES and now on my wii as the battery in my cart finally kicked the bucket.

I made a post on here somewhere about good VC and Wiiware games, but in either case I would recommend both Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger for Wii VC.  I'm sure someday they will be on Wii U when you do plan to upgrade.

bread's done
Back