The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

Done and done, really enjoying it. Also, just got the house of the dead 2 & 3: return,
which I thoroughly enjoy. Really fun if you can get a buddy to play co-op with you.

Was thinking of 2 titles I saw at Best Buy for $9.99 each:

Cursed Mountain
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Anyone play either of these and can give recommendations to either buy/pass on these?

Thanks.

For $10?

Buy them both. Considering trade in at Gamestop, or even better a local store or just selling on Amazon, you aren't even paying a rental fee. Buy them.

Went back to pick up both games and both were gone. Damn.

Anyho, has anyone played Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga? The game looks interesting.

I'm sure some will be excited about Blaster Master

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: DEADLY VIRUSES AND HEROIC VEGETABLES MAKE FOR A MEMORABLE WEEK
Feb. 8, 2010
From pulse-pounding action to mind-bending puzzles and beyond, this week's lineup of new downloadable games offers a dizzying variety to satisfy players of all stripes. New additions for the WiiWare™ service include the sci-fi adventure of BLASTER MASTER™ OVERDRIVE and the speedy fun of Tomena Sanner, plus a pair of family-friendly games to help parents and their kids brighten up the dog days of winter. For the Nintendo DSiWare™ service, new attractions include the rocket-powered puzzles of Link 'n' Launch™ and the tower-defending thrills of Fieldrunners. And lest you should think cucumbers are only good for snacking, the Virtual Console™ debut of Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom lets Wii™ owners enjoy a quirky classic from the NES™ era.

WiiWare

BLASTER MASTER OVERDRIVE

Publisher: SUNSOFT
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: BLASTER MASTER OVERDRIVE is an action-adventure game that takes place on an Earth infected by an aggressive, polymorphic virus. Poor, defenseless animals worldwide have been turned into flesh-eating, hemoglobin-swilling terrors. Fortunately, the world has Alex, who happens to be one of the world's foremost biologists and specializes in viral mutation profiles and genetic manipulation. Every studious biologist facing imminent global annihilation needs a sweet ride, and Alex is no exception. He has S.O.P.H.I.A., a shape-shifting, gas-guzzling, projectile-spewing paean to destruction on four wheels. Things look grim, but with Alex and S.O.P.H.I.A. on the case, the world just might have a chance.

Tomena Sanner

Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Businessman Hitoshi Susumu is behind schedule and in quite a rush. In fact, once he starts running, he won't stop! Dashing past samurais, T-Rexes, cowboys and all manner of wacky obstacles, Mr. Susumu must get to the goal as fast as he can for the ultimate 2-D dance party. Tomena Sanner is a high-speed side-scrolling action game with a unique timing-based control system that's as challenging as it is fun. As they fly, jump and dance over the many zany obstacles, players need to time their moves to keep their speed up and perform awesome tricks. Using just one button on the Wii Remote™ controller, players of all ages and skill levels will be able to play and help Mr. Susumu get to his goal. Four players can compete to see who is the fastest at running through the bizarre and comical world of Tomena Sanner.

Bloons®

Publisher: Hands-On Mobile
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Description: Bloons is an exciting puzzle game based on the simple fact that popping balloons is fun. Pop your way through dozens of puzzling levels in this exciting puzzle adventure. Each level will have a different arrangement of balloons. Using the darts you're given, try to pop as many as you can. Look out for special balloons, blocks and darts, and have fun discovering what they do. You can pick up and play for a few minutes or spend hours working your way through the game's 70 levels. As an added bonus, there's also a level editor that allows you to create your own balloon puzzles.

Hubert The Teddy Bear Winter Games

Publisher: Teyon
Players: 1-16
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Description: Hubert The Teddy Bear is a party game in which players confront crafty bunnies. Outsmart them in eight winter activities including snow fight, sleigh ride, Christmas tree decoration, fishing, catching a bunny and more. Create a teddy bear and customize it to fit your own style. Choose its name and gender and dress it up by combining elements from plenty of clothes and accessories. Play solo or engage your family and friends by competing in one of the multiplayer modes. As many as 16 players can take part in one competition. Thanks to the balanced levels of difficulty – kid, youngster and adult – everyone can enjoy the game. This collection of casual winter sports provides a new experience for the whole family.

Virtual Console

Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
Original platform: NES
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence, Tobacco Reference
Description: Featuring a cast of cute characters and an endearing sense of humor, this unique title has gained a dedicated following since its release on the original NES system. The wicked Minister Pumpkin, a nobleman in the Salad Kingdom, has rebelled and kicked King Broccoli off the throne. Worse yet, he has kidnapped Princess Tomato and, with the help of the treacherous Farmies, proceeded to abolish all truth, justice, sweetness and light from the Salad Kingdom. Players take on the role of the brave Sir Cucumber, hero of the kingdom, and set out on a quest to rescue the princess and topple Minister Pumpkin. Progress through multiple locations using set commands (such as MOVE, LOOK and TALK) while winning bouts of Finger Wars (Rock-Paper-Scissors), collecting information and items and heeding helpful clues from your faithful companion, Percy (a persimmon). If you fail, the entire Salad Kingdom will be tossed into frenzy. Sir Cucumber, your princess awaits!

[quote name='morinphen']Went back to pick up both games and both were gone. Damn.

Anyho, has anyone played Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga? The game looks interesting.[/QUOTE]

The first time I saw it I was quite interested, but then came the review wave and they pointed out many flaws I wouldn't pass, like clunky fighting system and bland dungeon/overworld design. I also watched a few gameplay videos and it seemed to support this. Too bad it wasn't what I was expecting.

[quote name='morinphen']Was thinking of 2 titles I saw at Best Buy for $9.99 each:

Cursed Mountain

Anyone play either of these and can give recommendations to either buy/pass on these?

Thanks. [/QUOTE]

Great value for ToS: DotNW. I bought it for US$40 when it came out. I like it for what it is. It's nowhere near the original, but it's a decently good game. I recommend you getting into it with an open mind, not expecting the greatness of the original (which is why most people hate, other than it's protagonist).

As for Cursed Mountain, I played it for like an hour and it didn't appeal to me. Shattered Memories is a superior experience, but I'd suggest you get it when it's around $25-30 as it's a short game with some replay value.

Au revoir

Can anyone recommend any decent Wii RPGs/Adventure games? I use the term 'decent' loosely, as it is the Wii we're talking about here

fragile dreams is pretty good for adventure, so is shatterred memories.. or do you mean like action "adventure" ala god of war, no more heroes, etc?

Alright guys, I have a question for you and it is very related to this thread.

I am just wondering, what would you say is the best bang for your buck for games on the VC and Wiiware sections? I am at a budget of 1000 Wii points and would like to make my first purchase on there a somewhat educated one.

Yeah, however I already own it for the N64. :/ Probably should've mentioned something like that, lol.

I'm starting to learn towards getting Star Fox 64 maybe. Or Ogre Battle 64.

Either of those would be solid. Haven't tried Ogre Battle 64, but I had some serious love/hate with the SNES iteration.

Now personally, I probably got more enjoyment out of World of Goo than anything else on WiiWare/VC, but I can't recall if that's 1000 or 1200 and if you're really in to the whole money conservation thing then go PC, anyway.

It's like 1500 Wii Points last time I checked. I played a bit of World of Goo on my PC, so not much of an interest to me at this point in time.

I'll probably buy games from the VC, since I want to play some classics, lol. :D Thanks though!

Looking for a good RPG to play on the Wii. I was considering Sakura Wars, maybe Fragile Dreams... although, I don't know if I'd really consider Fragile Dreams an RPG.

I just got my wii yesterday, looking for some suggestions on what to get. So far I picked up some extra knockoff remotes, jelly covers, and component cables from monoprice. I also have some of the nerf blasters leftover from the whole free best buy ordeal so I have blasters covered unless there are some really great blasters that I should pick up instead. Any other peripheals that I should get? How about games? I'm more into adult orientated games.

You don't need any peripherals besides a classic controller pro and maybe some rechargeable batteries.

Here are some of the Wii games that I own. You should be able to get most for around $20 each (maybe even much less if you try eBay):

Little King's Story (Don't let the visual style put you off, this is a deep game. Much better than Pikmin)
Muramasa The Demon Blade
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Red Steel 2 (Requires motion plus. Skip the first, stories unrelated)

Monster Hunter 3
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
MadWorld
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil 4 (definite version of the game)
Okami (If you missed out on the PS2 version)

1st Party:

Metroid Prime Trilogy
PunchOut!!!
New Super Mario Brothers Wii
Super Paper Mario
Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2 (May even want to skip the first)
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Smash Brothers Brawl
Mario Kart

WiiWare:
Cave Story
World of Goo
Bit Trip Runner

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need any peripherals besides a classic controller pro and maybe some rechargeable batteries.

Here are some of the Wii games that I own. You should be able to get most for around $20 each (maybe even much less if you try eBay):

Little King's Story (Don't let the visual style put you off, this is a deep game. Much better than Pikmin)
Muramasa The Demon Blade
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Red Steel 2 (Requires motion plus. Skip the first, stories unrelated)

Monster Hunter 3
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
MadWorld
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles (also Umbrella Chronicles)
Resident Evil 4 (definite version of the game)
Okami (If you missed out on the PS2 version)

1st Party:

Metroid Prime Trilogy
PunchOut!!!
New Super Mario Brothers Wii
Super Paper Mario
Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2 (May even want to skip the first)
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Smash Brothers Brawl
Mario Kart Excitebots

WiiWare:
Cave Story
World of Goo
Bit Trip Runner

Other games that interest me when I find them at the right price:

A Boy and His Blob
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
House of the Dead Overkill
De Blob
Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers

Upcoming:

Xenoblade
Metroid the Other M
Sin and Punishment 2
Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns (Ghost Squad is out now)

Mad you are awesome, thanks for the list of games to check out. Cave Story was the first thing I bought, I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. As someone who was always kind of reluctant on the wii I'm really enjoying it so far although after years of gaming on the 360 and ps3 the ass ugly graphics of the wii do get to me some times but it's not terribly bad.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Mad you are awesome, thanks for the list of games to check out. Cave Story was the first thing I bought, I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. As someone who was always kind of reluctant on the wii I'm really enjoying it so far although after years of gaming on the 360 and ps3 the ass ugly graphics of the wii do get to me some times but it's not terribly bad.[/QUOTE]

Are you using a component cable and have the Wii set to progressive scan and widescreen? We have a 360 and a Wii and the Wii, while certainly not HD, looks pretty damn good, at least in the better games. Certainly there are Wii games (probably plenty) that do look crappy. Maybe that it looks good to me is because I started with the Wii (well, with older consoles) first, though, and have stuck to the best games for the most part.

As far as games to recommend that haven't already been listed, I recommend Warioland Shake It. It's really cheap now and quite fun. It's pretty easy, yes, but it's fun, and there is plenty of challenge in the challenges if you want to go back and do those. At the going rate right now, even just an initial playthrough is worth the asking price for sure.

Excitebots: Trick Racing is a really fun game too. For me, at least, a lot more fun then Mario Kart, plus it's also really cheap now. I recommend using a Wii Wheel with it, but others do fine with just the remote. It is a motion-controlled racer, but the controls work great and are integral to the game. It's also got a sense of humor. Even the unlocks in the game are ridiculous - there's a ludicrous number of things to unlock. Not to mention betting on your online races! That's the best/fastest way to earn money to buy and unlock stuff, and the online play works beautifully. Great game!

EDIT: also, though I haven't gotten to far in it yet, so far I've enjoyed Silent Hill: Shattered Memories quite a bit. The atmosphere is great and the sense of panic you get when being chased is palpable. Having to shake/throw off the monsters by actually throwing/shaking them off... that is a great use of motion control, even if it is "waggle". But... I really haven't gotten too far yet, so I'll call it a tentative recommendation at this point. Also be forewarned that you never shoot - you have no weapons. You have a flashlight (which is very cool to use with the Wii Remote), but no guns or other weapons. This isn't a problem, and in fact is key to the experience, but worth noting in case you expected otherwise. It's about exploration and about running away in a panic!

[quote name='Drive_Shaft']Looking for a good RPG to play on the Wii. I was considering Sakura Wars, maybe Fragile Dreams... although, I don't know if I'd really consider Fragile Dreams an RPG.[/QUOTE]
Sakura Wars is not bad

I got Light Gun Fever!

Just picked up House Of The Dead 2 & 3 as well as Overkill.

Overkill is a lot of fun right now. Any other Light Gun/Rail Shooter games out for Wii that should check out? Heard Ghost Squad is worth the $11-15.

[quote name='asianxcore']I got Light Gun Fever!

Just picked up House Of The Dead 2 & 3 as well as Overkill.

Overkill is a lot of fun right now. Any other Light Gun/Rail Shooter games out for Wii that should check out? Heard Ghost Squad is worth the $11-15.[/QUOTE]

the two resident evil games. they are a challenge though (at least i thought the first one was. (yet to play the second)

though overkill is the best one imo :)

Thanks for the recommendations!!

Overkill was pretty awesome. My brother and I got addicted pretty quick playing through it tonight. Went through it twice since we got it today (even if it is a short game).

I'll probably see if I can pick up RE:UC on the cheap as well as Ghost Squad.

If any one needs a action pact game that has tuns of replay value and will hold you over till cod black ops that would be Call of Duty Modern warfare reflex edition for the wii that game is just flat out sick its got the best online play, the campain isnt that long but not that short its ok but its reallly fun i reccomend it to any one who likes Fps games.

Oh and i ddidt see your posdt but there are not to many rpgs around for the wii but one i had and was kindof fun was Tales of symphonia try that game .

[quote name='CoDblackops']Oh and i ddidt see your posdt but there are not to many rpgs around for the wii but one i had and was kindof fun was Tales of symphonia try that game .[/QUOTE]
The GameCube ToS was a lot better in my opinion than the Wii version.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']nice one crotch! I hate any thread that starts with ''recommend me...''[/QUOTE]

Why did you get in this thread if you so much hate it? Meanwhile, I am just amaze at how fast the games we enjoy evolve. Video gaming have come a long way since Pong, Pac Man and Space Invaders. Economists incorporated decided to do a study for Entertainment Software Association that was called "Video Games in the 21st Century: The 2010 Report.” These studies indicated that in 2009, there was $5 billion added to help the economy from the video game industry. The U.S. economy was shown up by the industry which grew between 2005 and 2009 10 percent.

Okay, I am officially starting to run out of ideas of games I'd probably like. Here's my collection, followed by the games I am interested in buying (AKA, I'll be buying when I can find them at a price I like), followed by games I am buying in the near future (new releases).

Collection:
A Boy and His Blob
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Arc Rise Fantasia
Band Hero
Battalion Wars 2
Boom Blox
Castlevania Judgment
Chicken Blaster
Cursed Mountain
de Blob
Dead Space Extraction
Dokapon Kingdom
Donkey Kong Country: Returns
Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo
Dragon Quest Swords: Masked Queen and Tower of Mirrors
Dragon's Lair Trilogy
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter
Endless Ocean: Blue World
Epic Mickey
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Flingsmash
Green Day Rock Band
Guilty Gear XX
Guilty Party
Indianapolis 500 Legends
Ivy the Kiwi?
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Little King's Story
Madworld
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid: Other M
Monster Hunter Tri
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Okami
Pikmin: New Play Control
PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
Press Your Luck 2010 Edition
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Red Steel 2
Rune Factory: Frontier
Saint
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Sonic and Sega: All Stars Racing
Sonic Unleashed
Speed Racer: The Videogame
Super Mario All Stars 25th Anniversary
Super Mario Galaxy 1
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
TMNT Smash Up
Wario Land: Shake It!
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Upcoming Releases I am Going to Buy:
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mario Sports Mix

Games I am Interested In/Will Buy:
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3 (if I can find it)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (If I can find it)
Super Paper Mario
Boom Blox Bash Party
Resident Evil 4

Games I am on the Fence About:
Excitebots: Trick Racing
The Conduit
Endless Ocean
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time/FF CC: Crystal Bearers

I think I have the main games every Wii owner should have or at least want, but I might be missing a few. Any suggestions? I'm looking to expand my collection a bit but beyond my "I Know I'm Buying these" list I'm not really sure.

UPDATE: I ended up hitting Target's B2G1Free and picked up SSB:Brawl, SMG1, and PokePark. Now I just "need" to buy Zelda: Twilight Princess and my list of games I pretty much "must" have is complete (besides games still not released).

UPDATE2: Edited/Updated as of 1/15/2011. I have to admit, I'm surprised I only have a 57 game collection.

Kirby's Epic Yarn, especially with local co-op, is great. Endless Ocean 2 is also amazing. Metroid Prime 3 should be dirt cheap, but know that the saves from MP3 to MP3 on MPT do not carry over.

Yeah, I own Kirby's Epic Yarn and am about halfway through it. I'd have completed it, but my attention span doesn't allow me to play a game straight through.

I ended up picking up Brawl, SMG 1 and PokePark Wii today from Target's B2G1 Free. I was kinda skeptical about getting PokePark, but I didn't really like Goldeneye on the N64 (sue me) and their other $50 Wii games I either owned or wasn't interested in.

Fun fact: Prior to Metroid Other M's release in August, I'd never bought a game via Pre-order/during release week. Since then I've picked up Metroid, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and PokePark during their release weeks, and will be picking up FlingSmash, DKC: Returns, Epic Mickey, and the 25th Anniversary Mario Collection during their release weeks. Yeah.

[quote name='Altanis']I think I have the main games every Wii owner should have or at least want, but I might be missing a few. Any suggestions? I'm looking to expand my collection a bit but beyond my "I Know I'm Buying these" list I'm not really sure.[/QUOTE]

Some "must have" games in my opinion:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex
Dead Space Extraction
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
House of the Dead Overkill
Punch-Out!!
Rabbids Go Home
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (or 11)
Trauma Center/Team series

Some games that I wouldn't trade away, although not everyone will love them:

Dawn of Discovery
Dokapon Kingdom
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
Raving Rabbids TV Party
Sam & Max (seasons 1 and 2)
Tatsunoku vs Capcom

Edit: Add the following games to the list of games I wouldn't trade away.
- Bully
- Blastworks
- Red Steel 2
- Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles
- Shaun White Snowboarding (only if you have a balance board)
- Shiren the Wanderer
- Sin & Punishment 2
They are all pretty solid efforts and worth playing if the genre appeals to you.

My opinions about your "fence" games:

Excitebots Trick Racing - Great game, but I'm not sure it's really necessary with both Mario Kart and Excite Truck already in my collection. Some of the gimmicky parts actually detract from the racing, but it's good silly fun is playing with friends.

Boom Blox/Boom Blox Bash Party - Wonderful games. Outside of sports, they represent some of the best use of actual motion controls on the system. Good alone or at parties, as long as you have enough space.

Resident Evil 4 - The definitive version of a classic game. Better than RE5, and the Wii controls work extremely well. Immense replay value because of many unlockable modes and features. You can find this for under $10... so I don't know why a collector wouldn't own it.

The Conduit - It's not a great title, but is enjoyable. I place this game in the second tier of Wii FPS titles, along with Medal of Honor Heroes 2; games good enough to own because the genre is under-developer on Wii, but not something to go out of your way for.

Endless Ocean/Endless Ocean Blue World - Beautiful games for anyone who wants to relax and enjoy exploring. The second one has more variety and plenty of missions to enjoy. Even though I like pacing in Blue World slightly less, it's got enough improvements to recommend over the original.

TMNT Smash Up - It's similar to Smash Bros, but slightly less chaos and with much less variety. If you are getting Smash Bros then you probably don't need this one... personally I chose to keep TMNT instead because (a) it's cheaper, (b) I love the theme, and (c) this isn't a style of game I play often anyway, so having considerably less content works well for me.

[quote name='mickeyp']I am interested in buying Kirby's Epic Yarn and Epic Mickey. Is FlingSmash supposed to be good?[/QUOTE]
Think of it as the new Wii Play.

Not great, but it's a 10 dollar game attached to a 40 dollar accessory.

[quote name='mickeyp']I am interested in buying Kirby's Epic Yarn and Epic Mickey. Is FlingSmash supposed to be good?[/QUOTE]
From what I have heard, unless you need the remote, don't buy it.

I could use a spare remote, so I'm going to get it from GameStop. Using a $10 coupon and a $25 GC on it. $18.xx after tax is fine with me.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Bit.Trip Beat

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I have an offer to trade a copy of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearer for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I look at the review, and it seems SH had way better reviews then FF. However I figured I would ask if it is indeed a better game.

[quote name='ets']I have an offer to trade a copy of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearer for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I look at the review, and it seems SH had way better reviews then FF. However I figured I would ask if it is indeed a better game.[/QUOTE]
I know this is pretty old, but I think that's a pretty good trade (if you can still do it). I haven't really played either of them, but I think SH:SM is a bit harder to find, and Crystal Bearers is pretty cheap at places like Target.

I'd go ahead with that trade, if you still can. That's probably a good trade in your favor.

[quote name='Altanis']I know this is pretty old, but I think that's a pretty good trade (if you can still do it). I haven't really played either of them, but I think SH:SM is a bit harder to find, and Crystal Bearers is pretty cheap at places like Target.

I'd go ahead with that trade, if you still can. That's probably a good trade in your favor.[/QUOTE]

Thx, I ended up doing it and I enjoy the SH game. Very creepy for a wii game.

bread's done
Back