The Rise and Fall of drfrielgood at Gamerush WARNING: 2000 Words!

drfrielgood

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (88%)
My experience with Gamerush began innocently enough in Brighton, MI in early 2004. I often visited Blockbuster stores to buy used games, especially when they ran the buy 2, get 1 free sale. On this particular trip to Blockbuster, I was welcomed with a wonderous new setup, dubbed Gamerush. I returned a few days later with a few spare games to trade in, and was quite pleased when I got $18 in credit for Mega Man Network Transmission. Not bad, considering it was an $8 clearance game at Target. Now I’m really not one to trade in my games, I’ve got a huge collection and love owning the physical copies. However, I’d occasionally take a few games with me just to see if I could get a good amount of credit for them.

I continued to trade occasionally, though I never really accumulated any credit. Around the beginning of Summer 2004, I started hearing rumblings of a new trade-in deal starting at Gamerush. And so on a Tuesday morning I made a run around my favorite circuit of Gamerush stores: Wixom, Novi, and Farmington Hills. Wixom had signage up for the trade any 2 games, get any preowned game for $9.99 deal. The rest of the stores I had to inform of the deal. That day was like heaven, trading in a couple of old games to trade a relatively new release for $10. Shortly after this deal started and I realized that PS1 games were accepted, I bought up a good amount of PS1 games to use for the deal. While I flipped a little during the early days of the $9.99 offer, I quickly scaled back and got a nice variety of newer games. I spent the duration of the deal visiting mainly the Brighton, Wixom, and Novi stores a few times a week.

During my frequent trips to Gamerush, I started to look for rare games to spend any extra credit on. On one particular trip I was surprised to find some relatively unknown games selling for as much as $39.99. I assumed that these must have high trade-in values, and began to check online to see how much I could get them for. The first major game that I can remember is Drake and the 99 Dragons for the Xbox. I’d never even heard of the game before I’d seen it at a Gamerush, yet it sold for $34.99 used and supplied $20 in store credit. I went over the top on Drake, ordering about 8 from EBGames for $5 each brand new, and then making a trip to about 5 different Gamestops in the area, paying less than $10 for any new and used copies I could find. All in all, I probably traded in 20+ copies of Drake, gain between $20 and $22 for each copy. Since I spread them out well between Brighton, Novi, Wixom, and Farmington Hills, it was never looked too bad.

Towards the end of Summer 2004, I began to scan the Gamerush website to find additional stores in the area to visit. I found a store in an area called Commerce Township. About 25 minutes from my house, not too bad. Once I got there, I recognized a man browsing the game section. I remembered him as an employee that I’d seen working at the Novi and Wixom stores. He was always a really nice guy, and I always had conversations with him while I traded games in. Turns out he was training to take over the Commerce store. A month later, once Jim had taken over the Commerce store, he offered me a job. A disgruntled Best Buy employee at the time, I immediately jumped on the offer. No more pushing extended warranties and trial magazine subscriptions on annoyed customers!

And so I began at Gamerush; working about 25 hours a week until I started school again in the fall. It was a great job, dealing with video games and also getting first choice on traded-in games to buy during the returns of the $9.99 trade-in deal. As I rang through more trade transactions, I started to find more “loopholes” similar to Drake. A frequent EBGames update shopper, I began buying these games cheaply, and then trading them in at Gamerush stores in the area. As you can imagine, I quickly accumulated credit this way. I never filled up a giftcard though. Never had more than $500 at a time. I bought way too much to ever accumulate that much. I mean, sure, I’d pick up a rare game if I knew I could sell or trade it, but most of the stuff I bought was for my own collection.

In the winter of 2004, a new employee policy threatened my trading practices. Employees were now allowed only to trade in games at their “home store”, and were no longer allowed to place their credit on value cards to take to other stores. This message was clearly communicated to me, and I signed a form willing to comply. And so I stopped trading at other stores…for about a month. At this point I realized that most stores did not recognize me as a Blockbuster employee. I decided to no longer trade in games at the Novi and Wixom stores, as I knew most of the employees there from my previous trading. I resumed trading in games at the Farmington Hills and Plymouth locations. Though both were quite a drive from my house, it was worth it to be able to take advantage of some crazy trade-in values! I also traded at the Brighton store once in a while, when I could handle dealing with the jackasses that worked there at the time.

So with a steady stream of credit accumulating, I was able to preorder pretty much any game that I wanted to play and also pay off any hard to find games that I’d come across on my travels. I enjoyed sharing upcoming deals on this site with a good collection of some of the best Gamerush customers. And I genuinely enjoyed working a job for the first time. My co-workers were all good-hearted, interesting people and we always had fun.

It was all going great, until about 3 weeks ago. Our store received a memo stating that the trade accounts of 12 members had been closed due to excessive trading. I wasn’t on the list, though I recognized a couple of the names as customers from our store. Ten days I showed up to work and it began just like any shift. Helped a kid trade in a few games, discussed with a frequent customer some of the new programs he’d installed on his PSP. About ten minutes after my shift began my manager came up to me and told me he needed me in the back room. He said that people were here to talk to me about my trading and that he was sorry. I immediately knew what was up. My manager is a great guy, and he really felt bad even though I had brought everything upon myself. I had always known that this meeting was going to happen.

So in the back room I’m greeted by the district manager (a grumpy man with the looks and personality of a serial killer) and a man from loss prevention. Over the next two hours I was grilled over my trading practices. Among the false accusations made over that time period were as follows: I was a retailer, I sold my value cards, I was a big reason why our store wasn’t profitable, I was the reason that employees didn’t get enough hours, and I flipped games. I told them the definition that I was given for flipping was buying games from Blockbuster and then trading them back in for a profit. They decided to expand the definition to include games bought at other locations. They had printouts of all my transactions I’d ever done at all Blockbusters. All in all I bought from the Novi and Wixom stores. I was a regular trader and customer (once every other week or so) at the Brighton, Plymouth, and Farmington Hills stores. I’d also visited stores in Waterford, Bloomfield Hills, and Rochester once or twice. They had printouts of every game that I’d ever traded and how many copies of each. I must say, even I was surprised by the 26 copies of Zoocube (GBA) that I’d traded in. I admit that at the end of the day, I had abused the deals. However, is it my fault that Blockbuster did not introduce restrictions or monitor trade-ins for odd cases such as Galleon? Under the current restrictions of 2 per title, 20 games total per day, I had never broken the rules. The only thing they had me for was not following employee policy by trading at other stores and possessing gift cards. At one point in the inquisition they asked how many gift cards I had. I told them the truth: I had one single gift card in my wallet, with less than $100 on it. I informed them that all the credit I got from my trades I put directly back into the stores. The district manager didn’t speak much the whole time, except to ask me on three occasions, “What do you think should happen to you?” Each time he asked I told him I should be fired. At this point I knew I no longer wanted to work for the company. When I was asked if I had any final comments, I explained for a few minutes how I had great relations with employees, strong bonds with many of the customers, excellent preorder numbers, impeccable knowledge of video games, and put an extraordinary time into my job despite only working two days per week during school. In fact, about a month before I left I designed a preorder book with over 100 Powerpoint slides, each one detailing a game that was coming out later this year.

At the end of the meeting the district manager told me that he wanted to fire me on the spot, but that he’d have to run it through human resources first. So I was suspended without pay. Before I left, the loss prevention guy asked me if I felt that I owed Blockbuster any money. I found this to be ridiculous, and responded no. As I got up to leave, he told me I could do whatever I wanted with the giftcard and looked at me expecting for me to hand it over. I simply said “OK” and walked out the door. I returned three days later to talk with my manager and quit the job. Being the great guy he is, he said that it was probably be best for me to do that, and said I was always welcome in the store and I was free to use him as a reference once I’ve graduated from Michigan State. A couple days ago in the mail I received the infamous “letter” that informed me that all of my trade accounts had been closed. Way to completely blackball some of your most loyal customers, Blockbuster. Oh yeah, and yesterday I spent the $75 remaining on my giftcard.

So if you’ve read this entire story, I feel for you. So I’m providing this: a list of all the games that you should be trading in at Blockbuster stores along with their trade-in values. This list was accurate as of 2 weeks ago. Enjoy!
XBOX
Galleon $20
Curse $13.50
Power Drome $10
Steel Battalion Line of Contact $25
Gungriffon $18
V-Rally 3 $12.50
Dead to Rights II $30

GCN
Dinotopia $13.50
Auto Modellista $20
Road Trip $25
Tube Slider $13.50

PS2
Inuyasha Secret of the Cursed Mask $20
G1 Jockey 3 $25
Kuon $25
Echo Night Beyond $18
Whiteout $12.50
Death By Degrees $20

GBA
Road Rash Jailbreak $10
Matchbox $9
Turbo Turtle $12
Zoocube $12
Robotech $8
Robopon (Ring and Cross versions) $9
Super Duper Sumos $9
X-Bladez $9
Aero the Acrobat $9
Car Battler Joe $12
Defender $9
NHL 2002 $9

So many GBA games are at the $9 mark!

Wow! I'm stunned that you did Costanza'ed your way out. You followed their rules mostly. But you should traded all the stuff with 2-3 friends, that way most likely it would have gotten back to you. You're lucky to have decent manager at least

Wow . . . very interesting story.

Too bad I don't have a GR :whistle2:(

BB just screwed up in their push to get into the game retail market and opened themselves up to this stuff.

But its just insane the way they came down on you . . . really fucked up stuff.

You totally owned the system. Bravo for you. Just watch out for the "OMG it's your fault the deals are dead"

I worked them too and love every minute of them. Hell I try to find loop holes at Gamestop right now, no luck but I'll find one soon enough.

Ever since I spent the last $100 in credit I had at Blockbuster, I never went back. it's been 6 months.

its not right that all the gamerush employees that know what there doing are hardly ever working cause there to busy trying to punish them for sinking there games into the system and earning blockbuster money.

Instead we are left with the regular blockbuster employees that dunno what a xbox360 even is.

wow, crazy story, sorry bout u loosin ur job, at least ur manager seemed to be a good guy. btw thanks for those trade-in prices, even though there are no gamerushs around the chicago area.

Yeah GR jumped into the market thinking they could make a quick buck to plug the gapping hole in the rental market. There have been tons of loopholes for traders to take advantage of. Now it seems instead of plugging the loopholes, they are making the mistake of alienating the customers. Doesn't anyone in corporate think of changing the rules instead of going after individual customers. I wonder how many more people will be receiving the deactivate account letter.

Is it me or does there seem to be this growing anti-trading feel at several game trading stores...

Sorry you got burned, doc. Sounds like a lame place to work, when they can't even be clear on what their own policies are.

Still, 26 copies of Zoocube, that's some hardcore tradin'!

Wow.

I have a similar story for a string of stores in the Midwest. I'm not quite ready to give up all of my secrets (or my list), but I can tell you that at one point my credit was in the thousands and they HATED me.

I ended up having friends take in games for me to get store credit after they shut me down while I was holding over $500 in "trade inventory".

Back to Blockbuster - I have 2 accounts due to my moving frequently. Each account was opened under a different driver's license from different states and each account has different home addresses. If Blockbuster decides to send me "the letter", will they shut down both accounts or are they able to tie those two together?

Am I the only one that doesn't really pity him? Great story, yes, and it does suck that you lost your job, but you said yourself that you blatantly disregarded the rules that they set down for you as an employee. If I owned a company, I wouldn't want you working for me if you're going to show that kind of disregard for rules and disobey documents that you've signed.

Sorry about your job OP. I'm sure a Michigan State grad will turn out all right. :)

I love how Blockbuster has dingbats who set trade-in prices at corporate and then bring in loss prevention and the district manager to intimidate a college going part-timer. I don't have a Gamerush and I've never tried to trade stuff in at my Blockbusters, but all the people flipping games there are actually doing them and the market a favor. We live in the Information Age, where we find out sales weeks before they happen and news of profitable deals spread in minutes nationwide. If Blockbuster can't adjust their policies to fit this reality, then they deserve to fail in the market. I don't ever see EB or Gamestop with this crap. If they see something being abused, they fix prices and adjust policies. They don't start blackballing customers.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I would have fired you too, but I wouldn't have sent loss prevention AND a district manager. I wouldn't have grilled you about your gift card balance either- especially since I wouldn't want to touch that legal problem with a 10 ft. pole. I wouldn't have spent 15 minutes trying to make you admit that you were a bastard and a borderline thief. I would have simply had someone say, look, you broke company rules, you're fired (or suspended, or hours reduced, or whatever). How freakin hard is it to take a look at their data (and they have plenty since they can sort your trade-ins and throw them in your face) and realize, "hey, you know what, I don't think we should let people trade in Drake for all this credit?" That would be time much better spent than sending two people above the manager-level to talk to a part time employee.

In honor of you my friend, i believe i will be taking advantage of these deals so long as they take in used at regular BB's

I had a relating expierence a few years ago. I did this at FYE, except they accused me of stealing and trading in there. I only got about 400 in credit before they suspended me. I did the same think friel did....went too multiple FYES in the area and made sure i spread it around good and never traded in more then one copy of a game to each fye per month.

I had this same experience at Gamerush, as a customer, where the employee accused me of flipping / scamming / whatever else. Luckily I had friends on my trade account who traded in some games for me, so when she accused me of trading in multiple copies of some games, it showed as my friends trading in some of them.. I told her I had no control over what my friends did so she needs to calm the fuck down.

She then told me how she knew they were trading in the games for me, and how I was some kind of "mastermind" (yes she actually used this word) in this scheme to get the best of Gamerush and Blockbuster, and that if I ever trade this game in again (Nightmare of Druaga) I would be banned from the store for good.

Shit, it was only my 8th time trading it in too =/

This is kind of stupid, They make the store to get games, and they set the prices, so why do they blame the customer for just doing what seems obviously like a good idea, making profit.

Even if you don't buy the game there, then sell it back to them, I guess that would be a little better, but still. Sometimes GR can be a little crazy like that.

I don't think the store should ban its employees from trading in games.

I thought you said you couldn't trade in at your home store, and in the story you said you went to other locations?

Either way I say props to you for being mature about it.

Sorry to hear you lost your job OP. Thanks for that list. Too bad I don't have any gamerush's around here :( . Does blockbuster use the same tradein values though?

Great story. I guess they technically had to fire you, but you really stuck it to them on their loopholes without breaking most of the rules. And you still made out like a bandit... it's not like you were going to keep that job much longer anyway, and you got to quit instead of being fired. Well done.

You should have let them fire you, instead of quitting. Then you could try to apply for uneployment. Since you didn't break any company rules, had a good reference from your manager and had excellent numbers for pre-sells, you probably would have won.

Then you could get some cash, go to school and play games on Gamerush's dime.

Granted, you did take advantage of the system, but hey, if Blockbuster is too stupid to realize that people are going to exploit the system, then they got what they deserved.

TBW

PS Keep in mind, its not your fault the store was unprofitable. If they hadn't made the incredibly stupid trade in offers that ran last year, you wouldn't have had a system to exploit.

Stores should hire cheapasses like computer companies hire hackers..

Thanks to everyone who read most of or all of that gigantic post. It's been really interesting to read the variety of responses. When I had the final meeting with the DL and loss prevention guy, they told me that I'd traded in over $8000 worth of games. When asked how much of this was profit, I estimated around $2000. Maybe its just me, but I can still sleep at night knowing that I got a whole $2000 out of huge corporation. Heck, Blockbuster lost $50-something million last year alone.
It seems that Blockbuster is doing a review of their whole trading system, trying to weed out the most unprofitable customers. Not too much unlike Best Buy. I'm not too worried about losing the job. School is pretty demanding this semester and I was spreading myself too thin.

[quote name='drfrielgood']Thanks to everyone who read most of or all of that gigantic post. It's been really interesting to read the variety of responses. When I had the final meeting with the DL and loss prevention guy, they told me that I'd traded in over $8000 worth of games. When asked how much of this was profit, I estimated around $2000. Maybe its just me, but I can still sleep at night knowing that I got a whole $2000 out of huge corporation. Heck, Blockbuster lost $50-something million last year alone.
It seems that Blockbuster is doing a review of their whole trading system, trying to weed out the most unprofitable customers. Not too much unlike Best Buy. I'm not too worried about losing the job. School is pretty demanding this semester and I was spreading myself too thin.[/QUOTE]

damn $8000 trade in.. you da man.. i probably did around $1000 or something last year with Drake, space channel 5, Dr. muto and some other titles.. but hasn't done it for long time.. Gamerush has been good to me..but damn $8000 :)

[quote name='drfrielgood']Thanks to everyone who read most of or all of that gigantic post. It's been really interesting to read the variety of responses. When I had the final meeting with the DL and loss prevention guy, they told me that I'd traded in over $8000 worth of games. When asked how much of this was profit, I estimated around $2000. Maybe its just me, but I can still sleep at night knowing that I got a whole $2000 out of huge corporation. Heck, Blockbuster lost $50-something million last year alone.
It seems that Blockbuster is doing a review of their whole trading system, trying to weed out the most unprofitable customers. Not too much unlike Best Buy. I'm not too worried about losing the job. School is pretty demanding this semester and I was spreading myself too thin.[/QUOTE]

Hehe. I had a VERY similar experience as well at Game Rush.

I instead was a 'store manager' for the Game Rush side. It was not dictiated anywhere when I was hired that their were any type of limits on anything. So when are store was allowed to start taking trade-ins, I brought in tons of games to take advantage of the Trade 2 get a used for $9.99 deal. Also at the time was $8 minium for each DVD traded in.

Anyway, I never once flipped a game, and never 'abused' the deals. However, at some point, a new regulation came in for employees. If I recall correctly, employees were only allowed to do each deal once, and couldn't trade in more then 20 items a month. Well, easy way around it is having a friend do it for you. After about 2 weeks that rule was abolished. We were allowed to trade in whenever we wanted, as many times as we wanted, as long as it was not 2 of the same games a day.

One day I came into my job and noticed right away there was hesitiation towards me. The AM spoke to me in broken words, and was very nervous. I knew something was up, and just continued to do my job. An hour later I was called into the back with the DM and an LP officer. I was then grilled for 3 hours about 'me'.

He started off with wonderful stories on his friend who took a peice of candy from a store and are now in jailfor 2 years etc. Everthing to try and get me to confess to crimes I never did. He made-up some wonderful stories about having hidden cameras installed in the light switches, and that he would drive to the store and act as a customer (Even though he admitted when I first walked in he drove 250+ miles to talk to me) on a daily basis.

I was accused a taking some game rentals, of stealing movies, and 'flipping'. I asked for proof, since he had all these magical cameras and he could not prove a thing. He went as far as to say that I stopped the security cameras and stole items. I told him I was never trained to even operate the cameras as I never worked in the morning, and had no idea where the key even was.

Too make a long story short, I was suspended and fired a week later. All is fine, I was able to collect unemployment for 6 months that was almost as much as I made working for them. To be honest, I never stole a single item from them, nor ever flipped a single game. I just happened to have alot of games and movies, and they had great deals running. I forgot to mention they even asked me how much of the movies I traded in were bought from Wal-Mart for $1. I stated not a single one, and you are more then welcome to check the prices online for them, as much retail for $10-$20.

At the current time, I try and hurt Game Rush as much as possible. I take advantage of there deals to no end. Don't trick yourself into thinking its a great place to work, its not.

CAG seems to have alot of fired GR employees. CoryCubed comes to mind.

haha

I was banned too and I never broke any of the rules they had. I never received a letter :(

I think the most I turned in of a single game was 15

but that was in the course of like 3 months. I went maybe once a week or every other week.

haha but reading what you did was crazy. I now know why the farmington and novi store never had anything good! :( :p

that was interesting to read though. It sounded like you were an excellent A+++ employee. Why didn't they ask you how they could stop this. They continue to put weak restrictions on trading and then ban you for trading in too many games even though they are your games and nothing is wrong with that.

Interesting story, sorry about losing your job. Personally I wouldn't have abused the crap out of a trade in deal at the company I work for. If I had to choose between having that sweet deal to rape or a retail job, I would have taken a job elsewhere probably. I mean really that deal is just amazingly good, did they really think people wouldn't jump on it as early and often as GR let them? Sadly by the time a GR opens near me I'm sure they'll have scaled back all of the good deals.

But sounds like you did a good job of not backing down in the face of what I'm sure was designed to be a very intimidating situation. I guess the downside of being an employee is it would have been tricky to just say something like "Yeah, well I'm going to be leaving now." when they started in on you.

And the guy expecting you to give your gift card back is priceless. We're firing you, now do us a favor and hand over that store credit. As you say they should have monitored high volume traders and set policies to cut them off or limit them before it got to a point where they feel they need to brow beat a low level employee. It's not like you were using a team of 12 year old phantom traders to skirt leaving a trail or anything.

Did they not formally bar you from stepping foot in a Block Buster or Game Rush store? I'm kind of surprised they didn't after going to all of that trouble to bitch at you.

When they ban your account, does that cancel all of your current preorders or do you still get the games that you have preordered?

Wouldn't suprise me if I received a letter soon.

[quote name='ksuwild25']When they ban your account, does that cancel all of your current preorders or do you still get the games that you have preordered?

Wouldn't suprise me if I received a letter soon.[/QUOTE]

Nope. By law they cannot take away you're credit, or delete you're pre-orders.

[quote name='gizmogc']Nope. By law they cannot take away you're credit, or delete you're pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure.

I'm going to run up to my old store once this U of M / MSU game is over. Gotta pick up Ultimate Spiderman and return the last of my free rentals!

[quote name='Apossum']Stores should hire cheapasses like computer companies hire hackers..[/QUOTE]

I've thought about this . . . we should be consultants to these companies to help them limit the severe loopholes in their policies.

We would be perfect agents to point out the leaks in the system.

FYE and GR have been very irresponsible in their sloppy valuation of used games.

I bought 2 copies of Malice (with store credit worth less than cash) for $5 each at EB and turned them over to FYE for almost $25 a piece. How can one resist that kind of return?

[quote name='drfrielgood']I'm going to run up to my old store once this U of M / MSU game is over. Gotta pick up Ultimate Spiderman and return the last of my free rentals![/QUOTE]

Great game!

Beautiful.

You figure out how the system is broken and the company would rather ban you than fix the system or get input on how to fix the system.

There aren't any GRs nearby, but I tend to buy a lot of preplayed stuff from Blockbusters.
Of course, I keep my receipts instead of opening accounts.

It makes it harder to track somebody when the description is "that white male with glasses who has uses a lot of gift cards".

Great story. :)

It's amazing that a company is willing to give MORE credit for a game than what it sells for elsewhere-- then has the nerve to blackball customers for exploiting their (the company) idiocy.

Did these morons even go to college, let alone an Economics class?

It just goes to show how horribly managed this sector of BlockBuster truly is. Granted there are obvious cases of abuse, but they pay individuals large salaries to keep up on these things. These types of weak points are exploited all throughout the economy. I believe I saw a report about a few of these types of orginatazions losing lots of money this past quarter, perhaps much longer... If I managed this sector for BlockBuster, I would simply only allow the trade in values to be used on rentals... Sure they wouldn't recieve as many trades, but the ones they did would be entirely profit. It would be pretty hard to have any loses with that tactic.

If your 8,000 over more than ayear made the store unprofittable it wasn't doing very well anyways. BB has gotten it's fair share of lawsuits over the years and their unprofessional and idiotic way of dealing with these game trade in is eventually going to get them another

bread's done
Back